2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 11 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 80 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 79 80
D
D
That's great. It doesn't matter if it's mono and don't sound perfect. It's only so I can hear what I play with a loud drummer and distorted guitars:) it's also nice to have full control of the personal monitor.

Hello everybody. First post here!
Has anybody a worthy direct comparison experience of the MP7 vs Yamaha CP4?
I am waiting for my new MP11 (to be placed in my office) to arrive (this very week!) but I am considering shifting from my CP4 to the MP7 (home nocturnal use and possible future gigs as a pianist instead of the usual saxophonist) for several reasons, including quality of sounds (string resonance, better sampling, etc.) and better interface user-friendliness.
My only worry is for the action. While I have no doubt for the MP11 GF, I would not like to miss something from the wooden keys and the graded hammer action of the CP4.
Thank you for your help!
Claudio

Steinway Model A, Kawai MP11 (2), Yamaha Montage 7, Hammond B3, Nord C2D
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by carellic
Hello everybody. First post here!
Has anybody a worthy direct comparison experience of the MP7 vs Yamaha CP4?
I am waiting for my new MP11 (to be placed in my office) to arrive (this very week!) but I am considering shifting from my CP4 to the MP7 (home nocturnal use and possible future gigs as a pianist instead of the usual saxophonist) for several reasons, including quality of sounds (string resonance, better sampling, etc.) and better interface user-friendliness.
My only worry is for the action. While I have no doubt for the MP11 GF, I would not like to miss something from the wooden keys and the graded hammer action of the CP4.
Thank you for your help!
Claudio

Since you will be able to compare the sound yourself soon with your MP11, that leaves the keys. I find both actions to have a good but different feel. The wood of the cp4 does not IMHO come into it, you've been swayed by the marketing. What else about the CP4 keys is it you like? Your only option really is to try a Kawai with the RH2 action yourself, preferably an MP7 and decide.

Edit to add, in case you have not seen it you can do a spec comparison from the MP7 website and your own CP4.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 04/28/14 04:08 AM.
T
T
Hello Everyone !
I've just received my MP7 ,and before I make my little review here , I have one question bothering me ...
In sound mode (not setup) , the reverb parameters are not stored with each patch ? I mean , when I modify the reverb on the main piano , if I select later a drawbar patch , the reverb settings made for the piano remains for the drawbar patch or any other patch ????
Is it normal ?

Last edited by Tritok; 04/28/14 06:55 AM.

Fantom X8 , Motif es6 , CME UF80 v2 , Kawai MP7

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
T
T
And even worse ! When i save an edited patch with another reverb other than the stock one , when I turn off the MP7 , and turn in again , the reverb has not changed and it's not stored with the patch !!!
Do I have a faulty unit ?

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Tritok, congrats!

Originally Posted by Tritok
when I modify the reverb on the main piano , if I select later a drawbar patch , the reverb settings made for the piano remains for the drawbar patch or any other patch ????

I'm not sure I follow you 100%, however I believe each sound can have its own reverb settings. I'm at home now, so cannot check, but please try the following.

1. Select the 'Concert Grand' PIANO sound
2. Set Reverb to 'Concert Hall', with a large depth
3. Store the SOUND
4. Select the 'T.Wheel 1-A' DRAWBAR sound
5. Set Reverb to 'Room', with a small depth
6. Store the SOUND
7. Now switch between the two sounds - the reverb should be noticeably different.

EDIT:

I'm afraid the post above is not correct - my apologies.
That will teach me not to reply to operation-related queries at home, without double-checking the instrument itself.

I should have also referred to the MP7 owner's manual, which clearly states that the Reverb Type, PreDelay, and Time parameters are COMMON, and not stored to SOUND but SETUP.

Again, my apologies for this incorrect information.

Kind regards,
James
x

Last edited by Kawai James; 04/28/14 10:31 PM. Reason: Incorrect information

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
When i save an edited patch with another reverb other than the stock one , when I turn off the MP7 , and turn in again , the reverb has not changed and it's not stored with the patch !!!

Can you give an example please?
Are you storing the edited sound as a POWERON memory?

Cheers,
James
x

T
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Tritok, congrats!

when I modify the reverb on the main piano , if I select later a drawbar patch , the reverb settings made for the piano remains for the drawbar patch or any other patch ????

I'm not sure I follow you 100%, however I believe each sound can have its own reverb settings. I'm at home now, so cannot check, but please try the following.

1. Select the 'Concert Grand' PIANO sound
2. Set Reverb to 'Concert Hall', with a large depth
3. Store the SOUND
4. Select the 'T.Wheel 1-A' DRAWBAR sound
5. Set Reverb to 'Room', with a small depth
6. Store the SOUND
7. Now switch between the two sounds - the reverb should be noticeably different.

Cheers,
James
x

I did all the steps above , and the last reverb edited in the drawboar sounds is still the same when I go bacK to the piano sound .The concert grand has the room reverb back..(I can post a video If you want)

Last edited by Tritok; 04/28/14 07:36 AM.

Thanx spanishbuddha, I did as you said this morning and, I went for the MP7 straight away, to me it beats the CP4 almost everywhere.
Now I am waiting for the MP11 to arrive, curious to compare the two!
Have a nice day!

Steinway Model A, Kawai MP11 (2), Yamaha Montage 7, Hammond B3, Nord C2D
I did all the steps above , and the last reverb edited in the drawboar sounds is still the same when I go bacK to the piano sound .The concert grand has the room reverb back..

Okay, I will check this on my MP7 prototype tomorrow.

(I can post a video If you want)

Thank you, but that's not necessary.

May I recommend that you update the MP7's software to the latest OS (v1.02), available from the KawaiMP.com website.

Cheers,
James
x

T
T
update already done (first thing done) , factory reset...nothing changes...

T
T
Can anyone check all that on his own MP7 ?

T
T
help ! all the sound patches share the same reverb ! even the churches organ have "small hall" reverb !

T
T
I really think I have a faulty unit now...SW1 And SW2 type assignation are not saved with each patch neither...It's rotary ,even for the pianos...Or if you change it for let's say octave layer , then the drawbar sounds will have octave layer as well instead of rotary speed...

I'm starting to be very disappointed...

M
M
I really think I have a faulty unit now...SW1 And SW2 type assignation are not saved with each patch neither...It's rotary ,even for the pianos...Or if you change it for let's say octave layer , then the drawbar sounds will have octave layer as well instead of rotary speed...

I'm starting to be very disappointed...

Kawai James offered to help you out once he's able to get in front of his unit. You could since you are so eager, call Kawai support and have them walk you through some trouble shooting steps. I would definitely want to make sure it's not a mistake I'm making before I go through the trouble of returning a DP.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
T
I'm a 100% sure I'm not doing any mistake...I've been a professional keyboardist for something like 20 years and I know very well how synths and keyboards work...believe me (it's really not for bragging in any way)! You can see in my signature that I have a lot of workstations of many brands , and much more complicated than the MP7...
I've been through all possible process...firmware update , factory reset , carefully reading the manual for each function...
I know that Kawai James will finally answer , but If I post those messages it's for maybe the other MP7 users who could compare ...
I think we are not a lot yet , but if anyone could try ?

F
F
I just ordered the Kawai Mp7 from Sweetwater. BOA put a cautionary hold on the credit card transaction and emailed me but it's now been cleared for a go.

Can't wait!!

M
M
@Tritok: you should read the manual carefully, in the Edit menu section (common parameters) it clearly states which parameters can be saved at Sound level and which only at Setup level (such as Reverb parameters and SWs assign)

Last edited by Maxpiano; 04/28/14 04:32 PM.
B
B
Just ordered an MP7 today from Sweetwater. Got it at a very sweet price. Really looking forward to checking it out and will, of course, report back here.

Thanks for this thread. Really helped me make my decision.
Bryan

T
T
Originally Posted by Maxpiano
@Tritok: you should read the manual carefully, in the Edit menu section (common parameters) it clearly states which parameters can be saved at Sound level and which only at Setup level (such as Reverb parameters and SWs assign)

Ok you are right , sorry for that ,I didn't see this part of the manuel (I read the english manual and skipped that ,I'm french ...)But for me it's simply incredible...First time that I see a keyboard where not all parameters are stored in each patch!Being forced to use a setup memory for that is a little...peculiar...Maybe an update of the firmware could correct that (really for me it's a flaw )

Page 17 of 80 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission