2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
At http://summerkeys.com/

Piano programs run all summer long, but if you have a S.O. who might be interested in one of the other programs while you are doing a piano course, consult the schedules for the various programs that are now up on the website.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the reminder! Now to decide when to go. I've been the last week of July (bustling with activity) and the third week of June (quiet and relatively calm). But Lovely Laurie may be going with me this year, playing clarinet, so that means one of the clarinet weeks.

After it's over I'm going to walk home - literally - hoping to do a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
After it's over I'm going to walk home - literally - hoping to do a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail...

thumb thumb thumb

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So, anybody signed up yet? I'm planning to go in July, for the regular piano program and the jazz piano program.

I don't know if they're still doing this, but they told me if you signed up and paid your deposit before the end of November they'd still offer last year's tuition (it's going up $25 this year).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, I'm going in July too - my wife is going along for a clarinet week.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe we'll have to have a PW meet-up.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, there is a discount if you apply before the end of November. So if you are certain that you want to go and can plan that far ahead, now would be a good time to register.

I don't really want to tell the whole world what week I am going (I'm not a fan of sharing too much personal detail online) but if anyone wants to know send me a PM. It would be neat to meet some PW members there.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have gone the last 2 summers and absolutely loved it. However, I have always gone in June when there are not that many people there. My granddaughter's ballet recital is in June on the Sunday between the 2 weeks so that means I will have to go in July this year. A friend and I are going for 2 weeks this year- June 30-July 4 and July 7-11. We have not registered yet for Summerkeys but have put a deposit on a house for those weeks as I know that the rental houses go fast. Has anyone gone during either of those weeks? I am wondering how many people are usually there and performing. I still get very nervous playing in front of people. I did it the last 2 years because there were not that many people there. The first year went well but last year did not. My friend went with me last year and also loved it. Unlike me, she actually enjoys performing. We take lessons from the same teacher and are usually working on one piece together. Well, I have already told her she may be playing the 2nd movement of the Mozart Sonata for 4 hands in D with Bruce.
I have had Bruce both years as a teacher and I am hoping to have him again. He is just such a gifted teacher. If anyone from the forum is going to be there during either of those weeks it would be great to meet.
Thanks, Judy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
I've sent in a registration for the next-to last week.

Hope to see some of you there!

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Well, after due consideration my hubby and decided not to go to Summerkeys but to go to Vienna and Budapest this summer. Two reasons. First of all my husband's knee (old football injury) is not getting any better. So we decided to have this big trip we wanted to do for years. His family is from Hungary and I always wanted to go to Vienna. Secondly, I'm getting performance opportunities and piano friends here in Arizona. So maybe it's okay to skip Summerkeys this year. I had wonderful experience at Summerkeys and may go the year after. But not this year.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sounds like a wonderful trip, Farm Girl! Have fun.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Enjoy the experience of Summerkeys. I'm not going this year but hope to return at some point.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bumping this old thread, since we have so many new people in the forums, and Spring has sprung, which means thoughts are returning to vacation! If you have never been to Summerkeys , its a lot of fun. I'm going this year again, early July, for my fourth time. There are plenty of old threads here at pianoworld about it. Here is one I started way back in 2011 with pictures:
Summerkeys 2001 trip

Basically its a music camp for adults in Lubec, Maine. Piano was the first instrument taught at the camp, and still the most popular. They have expanded though, to include a lot of different instruments, photography and dance.

I have a great time every time I go, both as a vacation and playing a lot of music on a lot of different pianos. Taking lessons from a different teacher is a plus, as is playing in front of other adults. The atmosphere is very supportive and the learning experience is top notch.

I have no connection with the camp, just a satisfied customer. And, of course, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I find it best to work up a couple of things to take and play for the teachers and the other students, with the idea that I will play one of them at the end of the week in the "recital". I suppose you could go with nothing prepared, but that's not my style!

And its not only classical, they also teach popular and jazz music too - playing from fake books and doing your own thing.

Lubec and the surrounding area are very picturesque and beautiful. It's as far "down east" as you can get in Maine. Acros the bridge is Campobello Island in Canada, where FDR had a summer house (that you can visit).

For spouses, there is plenty of sight-seeing to do during the day, or hiking or biking. I've alway wanted to take a boat out into the bay, but have never done it! There is also a golf course over on Campobello Island - there was a spouse there last year that spent every day golfing. Or if your spouse plays another instrument, both of you can attend the camp. This is what Laurie and I do - this year she is playing clarinet, and we're working on something to play together.

So, ask questions if you have them. Above all, have some fun this summer!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
O
O
This is on my bucket list for sure - probably not going to be this year though.
What is the range of skill levels?

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ohio_Mark
This is on my bucket list for sure - probably not going to be this year though.
What is the range of skill levels?

Any skill level. In the three years that I have been I have seen everything from absolute beginner to expert.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Last year I made the mistake of not playing in the recital. I won't miss it this year.

Mrs. CL is going again too to take in the photography class again. That course is superb in its own right.

I wish I were leaving tomorrow. I need the break!

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G

Sam

Have you read a Walk in the Woods, Sam? It is a Great book.

I've looked seriously at Summer Keys. It may become my second choice to Portugal this year. Then I would really have some questions. Both are a long shot so do not want to announce anything. If things change I will let you know. Any time is fine for me smokin

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greener

Sam

Have you read a Walk in the Woods, Sam? It is a Great book.

I've looked seriously at Summer Keys. It may become my second choice to Portugal this year. Then I would really have some questions. Both are a long shot so do not want to announce anything. If things change I will let you know. Any time is fine for me smokin

[Linked Image]

Yes, I've read it. Did you know that Robert Redford is currently filming a movie based on the book?

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
No, I didn't know that. I'll definitely want to watch it, as I really enjoyed the book.

Thanks for advising of this.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
A Walk Across America starts going down the Appalachian Trail.

I guess they just had to put a Brown Bear on the cover of that book? There can be brown, Black bears. But shure looks like a Brown Bear to me? Black bears are nice. Brown Bears are just plain mean. That's where Grizzly's and Kodiak's come from.
BTW: There are no Brown Bears in the Appalachians. I'm an expert in Bears. If it weren't for the NoNo hair remover. They'd still be chasing me around the continent. My feet aren't that big! Idiots! Don't tell them where I'm hiding.

Last edited by rnaple; 04/24/14 08:31 PM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission