2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.III.6.5

Perhaps hreichgott is referring to working memory and not short term memory?

Last edited by noobpianist90; 04/23/14 10:45 PM.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Atrys
Originally Posted by hreichgott
The above information came from graduate level coursework in pedagogy.

Well that's unfortunate that you were taught that, because it's not backed by modern science. Courses (even web searches) in neuroscience and psychology are great starting points for learning about how the brain works.

It's very possible that what hriechgott learned in a graduate level course on pedagogy is more accurate than what you learned in a neuroscience web search (or undergraduate class, for that matter).

Poetry is rhythm
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by phantomFive

It's very possible that what hriechgott learned in a graduate level course on pedagogy is more accurate than what you learned in a neuroscience web search (or undergraduate class, for that matter).

It's possible but not very possible. Pedagogy courses are filled with all sorts of this nonsense that directly contradict known facts. It's unfortunate, really, but there's progress in getting all of the crap out.

Last edited by Atrys; 04/23/14 10:48 PM.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

It's possible but not very possible. Pedagogy courses are filled with all sorts of this nonsense that directly contradict known facts. It's unfortunate, really, but there's progress in getting all of the crap out.

You aren't nitpicking for not distinguishing between 'short term memory' and 'working memory' are you?

Poetry is rhythm
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

You aren't nitpicking for not distinguishing between 'short term memory' and 'working memory' are you?

Of course not, but that doesn't change anything. Feel free to cite research that suggests such a 15-20 minute "magical point of transition" exists; I'd be interested.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

Of course not, but that doesn't change anything. Feel free to cite research that suggests such a 15-20 minute "magical point of transition" exists; I'd be interested.

I'm going to go with "her graduate class is better than your random musings" lol

Poetry is rhythm
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

I'm going to go with "her graduate class is better than your random musings" lol

Also known as "I like to believe in things without evidence" ha

R. W. Emerson
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N

I'd like to see evidence to support the following generalization:
"Pedagogy courses are filled with all sorts of this nonsense that directly contradict known facts"

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by noobpianist90

"Pedagogy courses are filled with all sorts of this nonsense that directly contradict known facts"

Take pedagogy courses, watch technique seminars, read technique books; there are direct contradictions to modern science everywhere.

It's not a deliberate act against knowledge, it's just leftover material from when before we had the knowledge to know better. Already we're seeing, for example, the idea of "strong fingers" rapidly decreasing in proliferation. That's "progress of a kind".

R. W. Emerson
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
hem... Atrys?

"Evidence" as in not your opinion. grin

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N

Take pedagogy courses, watch technique seminars, read technique books; there are direct contradictions to modern science everywhere.

It's not a deliberate act against knowledge, it's just leftover material from when before we had the knowledge to know better. Already we're seeing, for example, the idea of "strong fingers" rapidly decreasing in proliferation. That's "progress of a kind".

Perhaps, but I'd still like to see the evidence rather than take your word for it that there are contradictions, but as I don't have the time, I might as well keep an open mind towards both sides.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Nikolas

"Evidence" as in not your opinion.

It's not just "my opinion", it's literal contradiction. For example, some pedagogy may teach something like "you can look at your hands when learning to sight read. it's better this way", yet research has shown that sight-reading (and the transferable skillset) is improved much quicker when you don't look at your hands.

These are the sorts of contradictions I'm talking about. Things that any thinking person, with the prerequisite knowledge, could identify objectively and independently of their opinion.

R. W. Emerson
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Perhaps, but I'd still like to see the evidence rather than take your word for it that there are contradictions

Sorry? You expect me to spoon feed you? The information is there, all you have to do is read it.

You are always citing Chuan Chang who often points out falsities in traditional pedagogy. Sounds like you should read Chang fully and understand where he's coming from instead of citing him without reading his work first.

R. W. Emerson
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Sorry? You expect me to spoon feed you? The information is there, all you have to do is read it.
Nope, I don't. I'm relatively new at all of this, and I'm okay with taking my time and going a step at a time.

You are always citing Chuan Chang who often points out falsities in traditional pedagogy. Sounds like you should read Chang fully and understand where he's coming from instead of citing him without reading his work first.
Yes, I am in the process of reading it, I'm almost done with it. I have found it extremely helpful. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not saying that others are wrong. There are many ways to look at the same thing.

Last edited by noobpianist90; 04/24/14 02:02 AM.
J
J

Even if you have a point in everything you are saying, you forget the fact that it's a fact that facts actually cannot prove everything. Everything that turns into a generalization will always have flaws in one way or another.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

You suggest I favor some random musings over a graduate level class?

Pro-tip: When someone in an internet forum says they learned something in a graduate level class, and you come in saying, "that's wrong and there are studies that prove it if you only go look for them," it only makes you look like like a college sophomore.

Poetry is rhythm
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Pro-tip: When someone in an internet forum says they learned something in a graduate level class, and you come in saying, "that's wrong and there are studies that prove it if you only go look for them," it only makes you look like like a college sophomore.
Please, you do college sophomores a disservice by saying this [Linked Image]

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Please, you do college sophomores a disservice by saying this [Linked Image]

lol The word sophomoric exists for a reason!

Poetry is rhythm
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
sophomoron? hmmm... :P

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Protip: I don't have to spoon-feed you evidence; it's there and is readily available to curious minds. Deal with it. Ignorance sure is bliss, ain't it wink

R. W. Emerson
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission