2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
dje31 #2263455 04/18/14 10:31 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dje31
But hey, be careful out there. It's a dangerous world, even moreso if you're not bright or paying attention. Your cup of hot coffee says its contents just might be not.

I find it highly ironic that the poster child for frivolous lawsuits is Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants:

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent. She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). Two years of medical treatment followed.

Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her actual and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500; her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately $18,000. Instead, the company offered only $800.

The fact is that you pretty much have to sue in this country to cover your medical expenses, which might otherwise be ruinous. We'd see a lot fewer of these kinds of court cases if we had universal healthcare, but I guess that's too "nanny state" for the personally responsible, rugged individualist crowd. Not the American way and all that.

voxpops #2263504 04/18/14 12:06 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by voxpops
Leaving aside the argument about the nanny state versus the educational value of exposure to risk, I think it was a bad move for Roland to dump the standard IEC three-pin socket in favor of the two-pin type that Nord used to use. Those two-pin cable/socket connections can work loose very easily - the three-pin variety generally provide a much more rigid connection.

Yes, we can probably all agree with this. The three pin type is just better.

dewster #2263567 04/18/14 02:33 PM
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Unlike previous Roland stage pianos, the RD-800 use a 2-pin (C8) power inlet.

James, do you know if the C8 chassis connector used on all RD-800's?

Jay Roland, could you please weigh in on this whole issue?

i think Jay's done left the building.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
voxpops #2263602 04/18/14 03:25 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
...I think it was a bad move for Roland to dump the standard IEC three-pin socket in favor of the two-pin type that Nord used to use.

I like the 3 pin as well and for the reasons you list, but designing it into a product might require the manufacturer to electrically connect the ground wire to something inside. With the 2 pin Roland seems to have been going for a non-grounded design.

bfb #2263656 04/18/14 04:50 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bfb

Well, don't bash Jay. Im sure Roland has given him strict orders not to say anything until a resolution has been announced. Roland Jay, Kawai James, and Casio Mike are more than willing to help. But we have to remember they are employees of their companies and do not want to jeopardize their jobs by speaking out. Im sure it is tempting for the three to speak their minds sometimes. We on the forum have to understand that they can not jeopardize their jobs and have to respect that. I.E. how many time have we asked James in the past year to give us clues on the MP7 and MP11???

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Well, don't bash Jay. Im sure Roland has given him strict orders not to say anything until a resolution has been announced.

I agree, and it's completely understandable. And I'm sure this decision was not taken lightly. It must be a major headache to have to deal with this kind of thing just after product launch.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bfb

Well, don't bash Jay. Im sure Roland has given him strict orders not to say anything until a resolution has been announced. Roland Jay, Kawai James, and Casio Mike are more than willing to help. But we have to remember they are employees of their companies and do not want to jeopardize their jobs by speaking out. Im sure it is tempting for the three to speak their minds sometimes. We on the forum have to understand that they can not jeopardize their jobs and have to respect that. I.E. how many time have we asked James in the past year to give us clue on the MP7 and MP11???

Thanks for the support Marko.

I've been out in Toronto visiting music stores and taking care of business the last 8 days. So haven't had a chance to weigh in. So let me make my only comment I can.

There really is not much I can say here. Roland Japan and the various Roland companies around the world have been hard at work dealing with this. it would be completely irresponsible of me to speak for anyone at this point, hence my silence.

I'm looking forward to resuming the sales of RD800 which have been robust, and getting this awesome stage piano in more player's rigs.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Roland; 04/18/14 06:21 PM. Reason: horrible grammar

Industry Consultant
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Roland Jay, Kawai James, and Casio Mike are more than willing to help.

And, when (and, who) might we get as a spokesperson for Yamaha?

pv88 #2264450 04/20/14 02:10 AM
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pv88

Maybe a representative from their Motorcycle division or their Watercraft division can chime in.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
pv88 #2264473 04/20/14 06:53 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pv88

I think the Yamaha rep is hiding after reading all the negative CP4 reviews.

P
P

Yammaha have 'Bad Mister'so: Yammaha Phil (Clendeninn)

Hes a good musician and great at explanations but dosn't stray far from the Yammaha (Mofifator) site.Not suprised as he's kept very busy there.
Yammaha could afford to create a new post of Web Master for their customer relations, but Phil would probably be the only one qualified for it.

puff #2264640 04/20/14 04:36 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by puff

Hes a good musician and great at explanations but dosn't stray far from the Yammaha (Mofifator) site.Not suprised as he's kept very busy there.
Yammaha could afford to create a new post of Web Master for their customer relations, but Phil would probably be the only one qualified for it.
He's super helpful, so worth going to motifator.com if younhave Yamaha questions.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene

He's super helpful, so worth going to motifator.com if younhave Yamaha questions.

OT: I love his CP4 demo at Sweetwater. Not sure why CP4 has so many unsatisfactory reviews. I liked it very much when I demoed it. But i guess the pros don't care for it.

M
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene

OT: I love his CP4 demo at Sweetwater. Not sure why CP4 has so many unsatisfactory reviews. I liked it very much when I demoed it. But i guess the pros don't care for it.
I find it odd, too. The lady who plays piano in the church band loves it. I think it sounds pretty nice with the other instruments, too.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P

Thanks Morodiene for the Typo correction!
My spelling is way bad too.

I dont mean to dis the CP4 - its sounds and keyboard are very good but but I found the interface less than intuitive - the CP5
was much easier to navigate and edit and eveything was laid out logicaly so no menu diving.
On the CP4 you can not have 16 performances to choose from directly without having a big red button blinking at you!

27Jan #2264719 04/20/14 08:22 PM
I actually found the CP5 interface to be rather difficult to use.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
dewster #2265483 04/22/14 07:46 PM
J
J
We all find humor in laws and measures that strike us as overly protective, and a lot of that is because we are (or like to think of ourselves as) fully functional. But we share this world with a variety of others who are less fortunate. Regardless of one's current MENSA status, it is depressingly normal to be quite mentally vulnerable during one's formative and final years.

Thank you, dewster.

27Jan #2265737 04/23/14 08:20 AM
T
T
I got an email from Roland today asking me to stop playing my RD800 until I get a warning sticker and this little plastic 'cable holder'. I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

All RD-800 Customers
23. April 2014
RD-800 Stage Piano – Potential Safety Risk
Dear Customer,
Thank you for recently purchasing your new RD-800 stage piano. We have decided to write to all recent purchasers of the RD-800 to highlight a safety risk and to ask you to temporarily stop using your RD-800 piano.
With normal use, there is nothing to be concerned about. However, when connecting the AC power cord to the back of the piano, it is possible to mistakenly insert the power cord onto two pins of the adjacent XLR output socket (pic 1 overleaf). This can damage the RD-800’s jack board, main board and power board and there is also a risk of electrical shock if you were to touch any metallic part of the piano (or any other connected metal part, such as cables or microphone connected to a mixer etc).
To prevent you accidentally using the wrong socket we are producing two countermeasures, namely:
 An “AC IN” sticker, to be applied to the top of the RD-800 chassis, showing where the power cable should be inserted (pic 2).
 A new AC cable, attached to a small plastic ‘cable holder’. This attaches to the piano’s rear panel, preventing the power cable from reaching the XLR socket.
As soon as we have these items, we will send them to you. This is currently scheduled to be around the end of April 2014. In the meantime, we ask you to stop using your RD-800.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly
We sincerely apologize for the situation but we hope we can count or your understanding as we take measures to ensure that no consumer will be exposed to any safety risk.
We thank you in advance for your understanding and co-operation.
Best wishes
Your ROLAND Team

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
27Jan #2265740 04/23/14 08:26 AM
M
M
The "Stop Playing" part clearly came out of the legal department as an attempt to shift the blame on the user if anything were to happen and thus avoid lawsuits.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MiguelAngel07
The "Stop Playing" part clearly came out of the legal department as an attempt to shift the blame on the user if anything were to happen and thus avoid lawsuits.

Lol, yeah. Like there will even be one person on the planet who stops playing their R800 because of this warning.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission