Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
139 registered members (AZNpiano, AnthonyPaulO, Animisha, 90125, AWilley, annieb, Antipodes, 37 invisible), 1,511 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263609
04/18/14 02:34 PM
04/18/14 02:34 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by cromax
Anyway I think I'm going to get a technician to check the piano before buying it!
Also check on the status of the warranty. I hope it works out for you.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263611
04/18/14 02:38 PM
04/18/14 02:38 PM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia
You're right, I should have clarified it better.. The guy said that he sold the piano recently but it wasn't paid until a limit time so they just took the piano back to the store from the guy who bought it but didn't pay his debt. But from what the guy said it wasn't even "used". I think that, along with the GX replacement is the reason for this price.. I'll get more information about it the next time I visit the store!
Anyway I think I'm going to get a technician to check the piano before buying it!

EDIT: So this might count as an used piano. When I said new I meant not used crazy

Sorry to be sceptical, but that doesn't sound right at all. Sounds like a made up salesman story to try to sell a piano as new. It's a 10 year old piano! Nobody takes that long to pay off a piano. No dealer waits for payment that long. Lets be clear - this is a used piano. It may be very nice, but any bargaining to try to do should be for a 10 year old used piano, not a new one.

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263614
04/18/14 02:39 PM
04/18/14 02:39 PM
C
cromax Offline OP
cromax  Offline OP
C

Yeah that was bad from my part should have clarified it better! :s
I think the piano is from 2006 but I'm not sure. The warranty would be has any piano on that store, 5 years warranty.

EDIT: Yes it was kind of a story for selling it but even if the piano was from 2004 he could have selled it later am I right?
But even if that is the case as, an used piano, and I'm sorry for wasting your time considering it as a new, what is your opinion? It seemed to me that the piano was as new and it was a great piano.

Last edited by cromax; 04/18/14 02:49 PM.
Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263622
04/18/14 02:50 PM
04/18/14 02:50 PM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia
Originally Posted by ando
You're right, I should have clarified it better.. The guy said that he sold the piano recently but it wasn't paid until a limit time so they just took the piano back to the store from the guy who bought it but didn't pay his debt. But from what the guy said it wasn't even "used". I think that, along with the GX replacement is the reason for this price.. I'll get more information about it the next time I visit the store!

EDIT: So this might count as an used piano. When I said new I meant not used crazy

Sorry to be sceptical, but that doesn't sound right at all. Sounds like a made up salesman story to try to sell a piano as new. It's a 10 year old piano! Nobody takes that long to pay off a piano. No dealer waits for payment that long. Lets be clear - this is a used piano. It may be very nice, but any bargaining to try to do should be for a 10 year old used piano, not a new one.

Yeah you're right it was kind a bit of a story from the salesman.. But clarify me something new isn't just pianos made in 2014.. If it is that way the Rit isn't new aswell

No, I never said that though, did I? A "new" piano will be made in the last couple of years and will carry the manufacturers warranty. This RX5 will not have Kawai's warranty. It will have the dealers warranty - and those are not the same thing.

You are changing your mind on how old the piano is - First it was new, then it was 2004, now it's 2006. Which one is it? And what made you change your mind? Did you ring the dealer and get new information? If not, I would say this dealer has you dancing to his tune - and by that I mean he has you exactly where he wants you because you are believing every story he sells you. You should view this dealer with scepticism. You may still buy a piano from him, but don't believe everything he tells you. Use your own judgement, not his. I've already read enough here not to trust him.

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: ando] #2263625
04/18/14 02:56 PM
04/18/14 02:56 PM
C
cromax Offline OP
cromax  Offline OP
C

Yeah you're right it was kind a bit of a story from the salesman.. But clarify me something new isn't just pianos made in 2014.. If it is that way the Rit isn't new aswell

No, I never said that though, did I? A "new" piano will be made in the last couple of years and will carry the manufacturers warranty. This RX5 will not have Kawai's warranty. It will have the dealers warranty - and those are not the same thing.

You are changing your mind on how old the piano is - First it was new, then it was 2004, now it's 2006. Which one is it? And what made you change your mind? Did you ring the dealer and get new information? If not, I would say this dealer has you dancing to his tune - and by that I mean he has you exactly where he wants you because you are believing every story he sells you. You should view this dealer with scepticism. You may still buy a piano from him, but don't believe everything he tells you. Use your own judgement, not his. I've already read enough here not to trust him.

Yes you're right that's why I deleted that post and changed the other :P I wasnt aware of the existence of a manufacturer warranty

I'm not changing my mind about the year.. I think it was 2006, but I'm not sure as I said.. And then I was supposing if it was in fact from 2004 like "worst scenario case" smile
Yes you're right I should be more critic about it

But even after this misunderstanding caused by my lack of criticism/info, would it still be a better deal than the Ritmuller?

Last edited by cromax; 04/18/14 02:58 PM.
Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263627
04/18/14 02:57 PM
04/18/14 02:57 PM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia

EDIT: Yes it was kind of a story for selling it but even if the piano was from 2004 he could have selled it later am I right?

No. It's a used piano. No dealer keeps a piano in their showroom for 10 years. It's been taken home and played by somebody. It might be in nice condition and played very little, but it's NOT a new piano under any definition. Case closed.

But even if that is the case as, an used piano, and I'm sorry for wasting your time considering it as a new, what is your opinion? It seemed to me that the piano was as new and it was a great piano.

It's hard to say. It is probably still the nicer piano of the two, but because it's not new, it's hard to say what the condition of it is. It might need work, it might be fine - it carries the usual dangers of buying a used piano. You need to get a tech in to assess how much wear it has.

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: ando] #2263629
04/18/14 03:00 PM
04/18/14 03:00 PM
C
cromax Offline OP
cromax  Offline OP
C

No. It's a used piano. No dealer keeps a piano in their showroom for 10 years. It's been taken home and played by somebody. It might be in nice condition and played very little, but it's NOT a new piano under any definition. Case closed.

It's hard to say. It is probably still the nicer piano of the two, but because it's not new, it's hard to say what the condition of it is. It might need work, it might be fine - it carries the usual dangers of buying a used piano. You need to get a tech in to assess how much wear it has.

Thank you ando for your special information and dedication on your responses smile

Yeah that might be the right thing to do get a tech to check it out!

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263634
04/18/14 03:05 PM
04/18/14 03:05 PM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia

Thank you ando for your special information and dedication on your responses smile

Yeah that might be the right thing to do get a tech to check it out!

You're welcome. I wish you luck in your purchase.

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263646
04/18/14 03:34 PM
04/18/14 03:34 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

Rochester MN
One thing that would help is if you got the serial number of the piano and post it here. That way we can find out exactly when it was built.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263648
04/18/14 03:37 PM
04/18/14 03:37 PM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
You might want to do that for both instruments.. The impression I get from this dealer is not a very good/trustworthy one..
I would prefer an instrument with factory warranty because in this particular case it might be worth 100% more then a dealer warranty. Sorry for being so negative. Hope you get a good instrument.

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: Minnesota Marty] #2263650
04/18/14 03:39 PM
04/18/14 03:39 PM
C
cromax Offline OP
cromax  Offline OP
C

Yes the next time I go to the store I'll try to get as much info about the piano as I can.

Another question came to my mind now with all these.. How can I know if the material from the piano, like strings for example are the original.. Can a technician tell me that? I'm becoming doubtful for the reason of such a low price..

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263651
04/18/14 03:42 PM
04/18/14 03:42 PM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
It's not a low price for a 10 year old piano.

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263661
04/18/14 03:57 PM
04/18/14 03:57 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

Rochester MN
Well, the first step is to get the exact age. In the US, approx. $17K for a pristine, say 8 y/o, RX5 is a pretty good price. I have no clue about Portugal, however.

Marty in Minnesota

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263666
04/18/14 04:04 PM
04/18/14 04:04 PM
C
cromax Offline OP
cromax  Offline OP
C

Man.. Now I really don't know what piano should I buy :p
Also, because of my lack of ability to explain myself in English you may think that this two pianos are from the same store/dealer but they aren't.. Kawai from one dealer and Ritmuller from other, just wanted to clarify that so there won't be more misunderstandings.

I think pianos here in Portugal may cost more than in US but I think it isn't a big big difference. I'll try to get the serial number the next time I visit the store wink

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263669
04/18/14 04:11 PM
04/18/14 04:11 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

Rochester MN
If the Kawai is actually "like new," it still would be my choice.

Marty in Minnesota

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263672
04/18/14 04:16 PM
04/18/14 04:16 PM
C
cromax Offline OP
cromax  Offline OP
C

It felt like new, it had a really nice action/tune.. Technicaly I can't tell, but I hope a technician can!

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263673
04/18/14 04:17 PM
04/18/14 04:17 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

Rochester MN
That's what a technician does!

Don't panic.

Marty in Minnesota

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263675
04/18/14 04:22 PM
04/18/14 04:22 PM
C
cromax Offline OP
cromax  Offline OP
C

I'm really worried about my buy :p
It will probably be a piano for life and I really want something really good but that doesn't cost too much for my parents!
I would really aprecciate if you recommended other pianos in this price range even if they are a little more expensive to try them and have a better idea of what I want smile

Re: Kawai vs Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263688
04/18/14 04:49 PM
04/18/14 04:49 PM
B
Bosendorff Offline
500 Post Club Member
Bosendorff  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

I would not worry if you are asking a good tech to check the Kawai. It will be obvious to him if the piano was indeed rarely used. If the action and hammers are fine, go for the Kawai if you love its sound. If on the contrary the Kawai will need some expensive fixes in the coming years, the Ritmuller is a good piano as well and you will get a full warranty.

The most important is to take your time - try as many pianos as possible. Enjoy the buying process and keep us posted about your final choice.

Re: Used Kawai vs New Ritmuller [Re: cromax] #2263691
04/18/14 04:53 PM
04/18/14 04:53 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Surrey, B.C.
Something doesn't sound right with dealer's representation.
Suspected all along the piano was much older and had "history"

In such case, it may be better to look elsewhere altogether.

Not exactly the most confidence instilling experience for buyers...

Norbert shocked

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater Keyboard Deals
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
New Topics - Multiple Forums
You're Never Too Old to Learn to Play the Piano
by Piano World. 02/18/19 12:12 PM
Virtual Chords & Scales - Fixed
by Piano World. 02/18/19 11:21 AM
Young Chang Piano - How do you think the tune is?
by AntOnYou8. 02/18/19 08:36 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics190,350
Posts2,796,511
Members92,505
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission