2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Originally Posted by Morodiene
at m. 40, the RH is playing a Quarter note on treble C and the LH then comes in a 16th note later and plays the same C and then moves down the scale. I'm having difficulty playing the C with the RH, then have the LH come in then move off while still holding down the C for the full quarter note value. I was thinking of cheating and just playing the C twice with the RH (16th-dotted 8th) and not at all with the LH.

Any other ideas?

You will be going so fast that it will not matter in the least, especially if you tap the pedal.

Good, then I won't worry about it. Thanks smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by beet31425
....My teacher has opened up my eyes to "ridiculous", but really wonderful fingerings, e.g. a "33" in a fast RH passage of Chopin's first scherzo....

Wherever that is (and I can't even guess!), I think it's a sure bet that this was along the lines of what I said in an earlier post: It was because this fingering better enabled a particular musical goal, in line with a particular interpretation -- not simply because it was technically preferable.

33 is a slide from a black to a white note. Can be done with any finger. Very useful.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
at m. 40, the RH is playing a Quarter note on treble C and the LH then comes in a 16th note later and plays the same C and then moves down the scale. I'm having difficulty playing the C with the RH, then have the LH come in then move off while still holding down the C for the full quarter note value. I was thinking of cheating and just playing the C twice with the RH (16th-dotted 8th) and not at all with the LH.

Any other ideas?

You will be going so fast that it will not matter in the least, especially if you tap the pedal.

It also isn't a quarter note in the version I'm looking at. grin

But if you want to play it that way, I would play it first with the RH, then restrike with the LH. Hold the value with the LH, and go down to 4 on the G, and finger the 2nd beat 4131, then you can use 2131 2132 4 and repeat.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Originally Posted by prout
....My teacher has opened up my eyes to "ridiculous", but really wonderful fingerings, e.g. a "33" in a fast RH passage of Chopin's first scherzo....

Wherever that is (and I can't even guess!), I think it's a sure bet that this was along the lines of what I said in an earlier post: It was because this fingering better enabled a particular musical goal, in line with a particular interpretation -- not simply because it was technically preferable.

33 is a slide from a black to a white note. Can be done with any finger. Very useful.

Well, I know that. grin
What I didn't know was where.

To Jason (Beet314): Y'know, I was going through the piece in my head to try to see where this might be, and I thought I had the passage where it could be, but then looked in the score, and came up empty. So, I think it's nowhere. ha

UNLESS.....there is one place.....and now that I think about it, I do think "3-3" is the best fingering, for a certain musical effect, which is probably exactly the point. And it's the musical effect I want, even though when I played the piece, I think I didn't do it. But if I play it again, I think I will.

CODA, end of m. 353 going into 354, and again similarly in 355-356.
Even though I started out thinking it's no big deal to do it there because you can sort of do whatever you want, I owe you and your teacher a thank you. Even if that's not the place. smile

(I think I played what is probably the more obvious and more common fingering: 121212 323232 121212 323232)

And BTW, if I do it, I'd probably also do "2-2" between 354 and 355, for the same reason, and therefore I'd be doing:

232323 323232 232323 323232

You could easily avoid 2-2 by doing:

131313 323232 131313 etc.

....but I think the extra articulation you'd get with the first fingering would be better.

EDIT: When I first did this post, I made a mistake by saying that the "2-2" would be from a white note to a black note, rather than black to white like Prout said for this kind of thing in general. Dunno what I was thinking. Most assuredly it's from black to white also.

Last edited by Mark_C; 04/18/14 02:38 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[To Jason (Beet314): Y'know, I was going through the piece in my head to try to see where this might be, and I thought I had the passage where it could be, but then looked in the score, and came up empty. So, I think it's nowhere. ha

Oh, Mark... I'm so sorry to have wasted your time!

Looking through the score, I see that it wasn't a 33 at all! All I really remembered was that it was an unconventional fingering that totally worked, and that opened my eyes to the possibilities of unconventional fingerings. In particular, it showed me that sudden hand repositionings were possible, even within fluid lines.

Now that I have my score, I'll tell you exactly what it was: In measure 37, I use (probably like most people) 231234. But I was having trouble with a 5 on the next note, the D# (first note of m.38). I mean, I could play it, and play it at speed, but that part of the line just got swallowed up a bit. So the interesting fingering was to use a *2* on that D#. So that I'm playing 4 -> 2 on C# -> D#. Try it and see what you think!

I'm not sure that I find very useful your idea of "fingerings for the sake of the music". That may be the case if I had a perfect technique, but in the real world there are always compromises. My teacher didn't suggest the 2 out of the blue just for the musicality of it; but when we saw I was having some trouble, she suggested it, as a helpful and still musically viable alternative. And, actually, it works great, and really gives the line some vigor!

-Jason

EDIT: Actually, re-reading this, of course "fingerings for the sake of the music" is a useful and important idea. I just think there are grey areas too.

Last edited by beet31425; 04/18/14 02:43 AM.
....I'm so sorry to have wasted your time!

You didn't at all. You blessed me with a new and great fingering, although by accident. grin

....I'll tell you exactly what it was: In measure 37....

That's the passage (not the exact place, but close) where I originally thought the "3-3" might be, from going through the piece in my head -- like about a couple of measures later.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
CODA, end of m. 353 going into 354, and again similarly in 355-356.

You then made a substantial post describing the section. I'm confused because in my edition 353 is not in the coda at all; it falls in the middle of the trio.

Now that I have my score, I'll tell you exactly what it was: In measure 37, I use (probably like most people) 231234. But I was having trouble with a 5 on the next note, the D# (first note of m.38). I mean, I could play it, and play it at speed, but that part of the line just got swallowed up a bit. So the interesting fingering was to use a *2* on that D#. So that I'm playing 4 -> 2 on C# -> D#. Try it and see what you think!

You never tried 234123/41 etc?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
....I'm confused because in my edition 353 is not in the coda at all; it falls in the middle of the trio....

I'm guessing that your score has some repeated sections written out rather than indicated by repeat marks as is done in other editions. I got the measure numbers from something called the Pierre Gouin edition (never heard of it before) on IMSLP. (The reason I clicked on that one was, it just seemed likely to include measure numbers, which most Chopin scores on IMSLP don't. Most of my own scores are in storage so I couldn't check those.)

The measures I talked about are the trill-like thingees right before the low F# octave and the famous repeated dissonant chord, which I guess is (let's see how I am on "analysis") grin .....I guess it's the dominant 7th of the Neapolitan but with a tonic dominant bass.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
But if 31 is an option, why not just 21?

But looking at the figure itself, the 1 on the 2nd beat of each figure seems not so good. And 21 21 breaks the figure into two smaller figures which I think is not the idea here.

And the 4132 seems just too inviting to slur the 2 back to the 4

How about 1243 ?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by wouter79
But if 31 is an option, why not just 21?

But looking at the figure itself, the 1 on the 2nd beat of each figure seems not so good. And 21 21 breaks the figure into two smaller figures which I think is not the idea here.

And the 4132 seems just too inviting to slur the 2 back to the 4

How about 1243 ?

I doubt at tempo there will be any idea of slurring going on smile . I think your suggestion would result in tension in my thumb at keeping it in a position of crossing under. It's fine for a few beats but after that it's problematic.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Derulux

Any other ideas?

It also isn't a quarter note in the version I'm looking at. grin

But if you want to play it that way, I would play it first with the RH, then restrike with the LH. Hold the value with the LH, and go down to 4 on the G, and finger the 2nd beat 4131, then you can use 2131 2132 4 and repeat.

I think if another edition doesn't even have that quarter note (is it a 16th?) then there's no need to be fussy about it, IMO. Great suggestion though, thanks!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by prout

Well, I know that. grin
What I didn't know was where.

Obviously, I don't sight read words very well. I thought you said 'whatever'. mea culpa

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yep, the score I downloaded from IMSLP (Breitkopf & Hartel?) has a 16th, while my Peters Urtext has a quarter note.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have three copies of this sonata. Presser, Weiner, and Henle.

All three have the C as a quarter note.

What I was doing was hitting the C with the right hand, and then clearing off, LH comes in and holds the second C with 1 while 2, 3 play B, A sixteenth notes. Thumb up at the same time 3 releases A, 4 plays G, LH thumb now ready to come back into action on next note A.

I'm not sure I'm making sense, but that's what I was doing.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
I have three copies of this sonata. Presser, Weiner, and Henle.

All three have the C as a quarter note.

What I was doing was hitting the C with the right hand, and then clearing off, LH comes in and holds the second C with 1 while 2, 3 play B, A sixteenth notes. Thumb up at the same time 3 releases A, 4 plays G, LH thumb now ready to come back into action on next note A.

I'm not sure I'm making sense, but that's what I was doing.

Makes sense, and it is what was previously suggested. OK, majority rules, so I'll assume it should be a quarter and try this method out. Thanks smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So, when I bought the Weiner version, I got the "facsimile" along with it because they didn't have any more left of the version without it.

It fell on the floor when I was looking for the measure in the printed score.

So this morning I picked it up to put it back and looked inside, and for whatever it's worth, it's a quarter note in Mozart's own hand, too, with two more quarter rests, then the eighth notes in the RH for the fourth beat. LH has sixteenth rest, then the sixteenth notes for the rest of the measure, phrasing over the sixteenth notes, under the rests:

[Linked Image]

I guess I finally found a purpose for the extra 5€ I spent on one sonata (the version without the high quality copy of the autograph was 10€ and this one was 15€). Though, given the fact that a) it probably doesn't much matter, and b) we've already come to a general consensus it's a quarter note anyway, I can't quiiiiite declare it 5€ well spent. Considering where I was when I spent it and the likelihood I'll ever need to refer to it for my own purposes, 5€ would have been more fun/tasty spent elsewhere. The café next door does a darn good espresso and breakfast pastry.

M
OP Offline
M
Still, it's nice to have that confirmation from the source. I think 5 euro isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things, and you have something that lasts longer than a coffee and pastry. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, enjoy! I, for my part, am going to go need to get myself some breakfast. I'll make it a Viennese coffee in Mozart's honor. And eat a croissant with it since the sonata was composed in Paris.

smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission