2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
what do you think of this setup of a polk audio m70 speaker. I can feel the keys vibrate when I play lol. Any pros or cons about sound? I know they are somewhat directional speakers so ideally you want them to face you. But I like the fact that the sound shoots up and around the room as its reflecting off the back wall and side wall in a corner. [Linked Image]

I'm having a hard time getting galaxy pianos sounding to my liking though. (Too much bass instead of clarity) its playing through my receiver at 24bit 192khz though so that's a good setting right? Let me know and try to keep it somewhat non technical as I dont have a sound engineering degree lol

Last edited by craig son of berg; 04/12/14 12:57 PM.

play that one again sam
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
That's obvious that you have too much bass when listening on that beats... Get some normal speakers, not something with four 6,5 woofers...

Why you will not buy some monitors and płace them correctly with the art?
And you have in the worst possible positive...

It cannot sounds well just looking in it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The boomy sound is probably mostly to do with speaker placement. I'm not familiar with this speaker but they have a reputation for ample bass - maybe too much for natural sounding piano because a real piano does not have a strong bass component, comparatively speaking.

The speakers should be forward facing, away from the wall, forming an equilateral triangle with your position. Keep them well clear of corners or confined areas of any sort which will tend to resonate at low frequencies and emphasize certain frequencies in a way you don't want for natural sounding reproduction.

You can probably use in-computer EQ too, to shape the sound as you want - but after getting the speakers positioned well, preferably.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
G
GLR Offline
G
I would think if you kept your eq flat on your receiver you shouldn't have too much bass regardless of the speakers used as long as your speaker(s) is/are full range. I think I understand what you are trying to do with the tower speaker placed horizontal behind the KB - to use it as a widely dispersed sound source - but it might be some of the problem. Some smaller (4 perhaps for even dispersal) forward facing bookshelf speakers behind the KB or below might be worth trying. You could then add a sub to handle the lower frequencies, perhaps placed below and centre of the KB. Subs are omni directional so you shouldn't be able to tell where it sits relative to the other speakers. I think you'll have to do some experimenting with placement. Room acoustics influence the sound as well. As for the 24/192 source that should be an excellent quality setting.

C
OP Offline
C
thanks for the help guys. Yes the receiver is set to 'straight' no eq or dsp effect. they are also set to full dynamic range via receiver. You can see a piece of my second m70 on the bottom left of picture facing me at a 45 deg angle. What im really trying to do is emulate (in a ghetto way lol) the way a digital grand speakers face and also get the vibration feedback on the keys at the same time the way a real grands keys vibrate.

I really dont want to spend more money on more speakers as I got these two nice ones to fill the room with sound rather than direct sound that monitors do.

Im sure if I play around with galaxy pianos numerous sound settings I can get it to work right. ( I just dont know exactly how they all work together to create the sound I want)

Last edited by craig son of berg; 04/13/14 12:08 PM.

play that one again sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would have the speakers underneath the keyboard,facing the player. Towards the wall boosts bass unnaturally.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
C
OP Offline
C
thanks larry I was actually thinking about this myself. Only problem is this is really going to raise the piano. I might just try it though. BTW speaker is not facing a wall. Its pointing to the ceiling.

on a side note.. that px3 in the picture with missing screws is going to turn into a vpc1 tuesday...cant wait!

Last edited by craig son of berg; 04/13/14 01:11 PM.

play that one again sam
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
One problem:

. . . Tweeters tend to be directive.

So if your tweeters are pointed up, and your head is beside the speaker, you're getting "direct-wave" bass (at full volume), and "reflected-wave" highs.

If the sound is somewhat dull, that could be the cause.

Tilt that upper loudspeaker, on its long edge, so that it's facing your head (as a monitor would), and position it so that its tweeter (wherever it is) is in the center of the keyboard. That will turn it into a "monitor speaker", more or less, and may help you out.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Try placing the speakers on either side of the piano, angled inward toward, and raised up on stands so that the top of each speaker is at ear level.

C
OP Offline
C
thanks everyone for your help. I will try it all the ways everyone said and let you know what works for me. Btw I am able to improve the sound with galaxy pianos by turning off concert hall effect(big diff in bass) and dynamic range of piano and low keys tone menu. anybody familiar with galaxy and yes I watched the youtube videos.

Last edited by craig son of berg; 04/13/14 04:05 PM.

play that one again sam
C
OP Offline
C
placing the speakers standing upright behind the piano works the best for me.( I took off the floor cones on the bottom of the speakers so they would stand flat on the desk) Laying the speaker on its side and putting the piano on top was great for the vibration through the keys but the sound still was muffled.(im satisfied with current setup producing the vibrations) someone needs to invent a speaker that is omnidirectional and sounds good. [Linked Image]

Last edited by craig son of berg; 04/16/14 12:55 PM.

play that one again sam
D
D
Omnidirectional? Sure, they exist, here's one company (and I'm sure there are others): http://www.duevel.com/home/loudspeaker.shtml

Not cheap, although considering the high-end speaker market they don't seem out of line.

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you have your keyboard on a table, I'd give one of these a try:

[Linked Image]

I haven't tested one personally, but as far as I can see, it's a similar idea to the "transducer" in the CA95.

Search for "vibration speaker" on Amazon. They are cheap - £25 for a 10W model or £54 for 26W (CA95's is 15W).

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Online Content
Originally Posted by lolatu
CA95's [trandsducer] is 15W.

No, it's 45W.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

No, it's 45W.

Why does it have "15W" printed on it then?

[Linked Image]

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
C
OP Offline
C

No, it's 45W.

[Linked Image]
lol kind of like how a lady always lies about her dress size idk.

I like the idea of using a transducer but would still like the clarity of my polk m70's. I wonder if there would be a conflict of using both?

play that one again sam
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Deffie
Omnidirectional? Sure, they exist, here's one company (and I'm sure there are others): http://www.duevel.com/home/loudspeaker.shtml

Not cheap, although considering the high-end speaker market they don't seem out of line.
I like the concept they are doing here. Wouldn't digital grands want to incorporate this idea as well for the 360 immersion effect.

play that one again sam
Online Content

No, it's 45W.

I don't know, but the specifications show 45W.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
15w can be power of transducer, but the 45 can be power of the transducer amplifier, if one exists (should be)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kapelli
15w can be power of transducer, but the 45 can be power of the transducer amplifier, if one exists (should be)

Exactly right; the transducer is clearly only 15W (which happens to be perfectly sufficient, since it is very loud), but is plugged into a 45W amplifier that is the same as those for the left and right channels (the 3 of them are just above the pedals).

Also, the specs are wrong, probably to try to impress people who think watts translate directly into decibels. If not, then there must have been a huge cock-up with the parts, and Kawai needs to issue a recall to retrofit all the CA95s in the world with actual 45W transducers. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission