2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Morning Prayer - Richard (zrtf90) :
Now, this is one I've taught before and just love. I appreciate how you bring out the moving LH line. The reverb you used made it sound as though you were in a cathedral. Very nice!

Op 39 14 FolkSong - peterws/pyotr :
This was a lot of fun to hear. I like the echoes! This almost sounds like something Scarlatti would have written.

At Church Op. 39 No 23 - AZ_Astro :
Very solemn and stately. I love your pacing here, to let those chords ring out like they would on an organ. I can tell you are carrying the thought through these long chords rather than stopping on each one.

Impromptu op72 1 - peterws/pyotr :
I applaud your efforts, and your enthusiasm for the piece and flair shines through. That slow middle section indeed sounds very enigmatic (I can envision the face that must have inspired you), but beautiful. I can see why you picked this. It's almost jazzy in its rhythms - I love it!

Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13 - peterws/pyotr :
Or maybe suitable for a harmonica too with that back and forth V-I progression? It seems to have a lot of questions unanswered, but maybe that's what makes it a prelude. A prelude to vodka, perhaps, where the questions go unanswered, but they somehow don't matter anymore.

Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu - patH (Patrick Hollstein) :
Wow, if this isn't Russian music, then I don't know what is! Do dramatic and dark, I love it. You play with the passion to match it, too. All those octaves, this had to be tough. I really like how calm the middle section is. Bravo!

Seasons: May - Ganddalf :
That's an interesting tidbit about the summer nights, I wasn't aware that the birds kept singing. I was up at 3am the other night to see the lunar eclipse, and there was one bird that wouldn't shut up - I think it was a peacock. Not really a pretty sound, more like a yell. Anyways, I really hare the bird-like quality to the moving parts of this piece. I thought I was listening to a professional recording you play it so well! Thanks for this.

Baba Yaga - Richard (zrtf90):
I was curious about this one just because of the Mussorgsky version. Tchai's witch seems much more scheming and plotting than all-out cursing, but no less nefarious. You played the staccato and accents really well to give it that character!

The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott):
It sounds as though Tchai was looking forward to a new year, in spite of the blustery winds blowing at his window. Beautiful playing, my favorite part is how the arpeggios build up in intensity in the middle. Everything you play with an idea in mind as to what you're saying, well done!

The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott):
This one in particular I can really hear the orchestral quality to it. You bring out all the various melodies going on very well. Again, you play with a clear direction as to what each part is saying. Great job!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer SwissMS/Doris
From Switzerland
Piece Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark
Composer Tchaikovsky
I love the dissonance in some of those chords. A mysterious and enchanting piece with some off beat cadences. Nice touch and timing. Hmmm, not the happiest Lark in town, I’m afraid, as the song is pretty sad. But your playing captures the sentiment nicely!

Performer sinophilia (Diana)
From Italy
Piece Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song
Composer Tchaikovsky
Your playing is very energetic! Nice pacing. You could look for places to change the dynamics, I suppose. I like the quick parts. Dramatic finish. Great job!
Performer Andy Platt
From Arlington, VA, USA
Piece Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song
Composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Oh this is a Fine Piece by Tchaikovsky. Great choice! Some poignant moments and phrases. Love those triplets off the beat. I am hearing the voices so you did a great job bringing those out. Nice change of pace in the middle. Oh that melody sings beautifully @2:30 on – I think you could bring that out even more. Be proud. Beautifully played!
Performer Ganddalf
From Norway
Piece Romance Op.5
Composer Tchaikovsky
An elegant and charming piece with a lot of depth. Nice transition into the B section. Ooh. And moody too! Your N1 carries the melody nicely and has a lot of tonal body to it. You put a lot of work into that piece and it shows. Super effort!
Performer Recaredo / Ricardo
From Granada, Spain.
Piece Old French Song. Op 39 No 16.
I fell in love with this piece, too, and have memorized it and played it many times. I thank Tchaikovsky for creating this beautiful song that is approachable by beginners! You play with much more discipline than I do, and I enjoyed the speed and pacing of your approach. I would enjoy hearing it again on an acoustic! Great job with this piece.
Performer PikaPianist
From Brisbane
Piece Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9
Composer Tchaikovsky
Sounds professional! Nice brisk timing and dynamics from the very beginning. I was drawn into the recording from the very start and really enjoyed listening to the entire piece. Very sweet transition around 1:15. Oh my, that second part (B?) around 1:32 is most beautifully composed and admirably executed. Dramatic and moving. Wow. I hadn’t listened to this piece before and it’s rare for me to like a piece on first hearing. But this one I certainly did, thanks to great playing and interpretation.
Performer peterws/pyotr
From N England
Piece OP 39 10 Polka
Composer Tchaikovsky
This would have been a challenging piece for me but you pull it off nicely. It sounded easy for you. Nice clear dual voices in the middle. Ha ha, I am going to have to go check the score to see if that bass note at the end is really in there. Humorous touch. [I just checked the score… you added it!]

Performer Richard (zrtf90)
From Ireland
Piece German Song
Composer Tchaikovsky

I want to learn this piece now. A very joyous performance. I have heard it played more quickly and it works that way but I really liked your pacing too. It appears to me to be technically demanding to maintain an even beat and you certainly did that. Delightful performance. Thanks.

Performer Greener / Jeff
From Toronto
Piece Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2
Composer Tchaikovsky

Instrument Heintzman
Additional info
An intriguing and engaging piece. A soul searcher. Your acoustic adds a lot of character and body to the piece which helped me enjoy it a lot. The melody is complex and mature. I’ll have to come back to this piece and listen to it again, probably numerous times. It’s exactly the type of piece that I fall in love with after about the 7th listen! You did a really nice job with this piece.

From Ireland
Piece Morning Prayer
Composer Tchaikovsky

I almost chose this little piece back when we were choosing. It is a very moving and delicate little wonder. Tchaikovsky packs a lot of depth into a minute and fifteen seconds, doesn’t he! A ‘gentle invocation’ is a perfectly apt and beautiful lyrical description. I felt you were very successful in communicating this piece. Fine work!

(more later!)

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 04/17/14 09:09 AM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
22 Earlofmar Dolly is ill!

I`m assuning "Dolly" is in fact a doll since these songs were written with youngsters in mind. She doesn`t feel her best, does she? Will the tablets work? The dquack is shaking his head. Grave prognosis . . You enacted a wonderful portrtayal of bed news. *It`s a good day to bury bad news" Jo Moore, 9/11.

23 zrt90 Richard op19 3

I thought Joplin was comin` up again . . Love what ya done here, man.Great job as usual on that super pee-anno o` yours!

24 ajames 39 8

She didn`t recover then. It happens; get over it! be glad it wasn`t the cat. . . (Can`t you tell I was in the funeral business . . ) Seriously, a thoroughly miserable funereal piece which you did a splendid job on. Op 39 is a treasure trove of super short pieces for the impatient such as myself . . Darned good, shame there isn`t a Dolly Heaven . .

25 Jimmyab 40 8

Great interpretation of theis tuneful spirited piece, with lovely dynamics, light and shade. Piano sounded real good, a joy to listen to. A pro performance.

26 jfmartins 39 20

Baba Yaga. Another on my list. Loved it; Played with vigour and strength. I think I`d like Baba a lot . . . short and, well, is "sweet" the word? "Excellent"`ll have to do.

27 MaryBee 72 2

Lullaby? Will rockin` on a boat, drifting between the trees as night approaches do? Constsnt hypnotic LH gives it substance "You are feeling sleepy!" Flows lovely almost in a "Bolero" way. Well done!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
Greener Offline OP

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I'm slowly downloading these to burn onto a CD. I don't really have the time while I'm at the computer to go through the recital on the streaming player and prefer to do most of my listening in the car. As the zip files have not been made here ...

Sorry to be late with the ZIP files. Here they are now for anyone that prefers and can make use of them smile ...

ZIP 1 SwissMS-Greener

ZIP 2 Richard-hreichgott

ZIP 3 hreichgott-MaryBee

ZIP 4-Ganddalf-Morodiene

ZIP 5-MrPozor-ClsscLib

28 Ganddalf 72 5

Sounds like Mendelssohn . . you give this sensitivity and your usual unique touch. Love to hear you. Great stuff, man.

29 Rupak Bhattacharya 19 4

What is ther not to love about this? The tune and your rendition . . a work of art as we now hear every time you play. Imo. It`s down on my list . . .

30 Ganddalf 72 16

Take 5" was never as good as this. The 5-4 rhythm is hardly noticeable insofar as it feels totally at ease with itself. As do you . . .Brilliant!

31 Chopinoholic/Paul de Koning 72 14

Wonderful piano, school hellish (takes me back to my primary school, now demolished . . .) head teacher walking past, me trying to hide behind the pillar . . . Enjoyed this very much. There must`ve been a load o` work gone into it. Beautiful, man.

32 Chopinaholic 72 15

Those runs at 1 50 like Chopion wrote them, beautifully played by yourself. I`m not putting this on my list. No Siree! Love your confidence! Heard ya turning the page . . .

33 jamieVT 39 5

These are fun pieces because they`re short. You handled this well with confidence good rhythm and dynamics, Nice nice!

34 Morodiene 2 1

Dirgey, then,boy, does it liven up! Back to dirge . . Hard to understand let alone comment on; sounded difficult but you gave it loads of life!

35 Morodiene 2 3

Your piano sings on this one. I enjoyed this one greatly. Lovely work with a full sound.

"[Linked Image]"
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
10 - Richard (zrtf90) - Morning Prayer The simplest things can sometimes be the hardest. But I love how you shaped the phrases with the hymn-like chords.

11 - peterws/pyotr - Op 39 14 FolkSong OK, now you're just freakin' me out with the video effects! Great playing too.

12 - AZ_Astro - At Church Op. 39 No 23 Church-like, but a very Russian sounding Church. You did a great job with it.

13 - peterws/pyotr - Impromptu op72 1 Don't feel bad - very convincing even if it was simplified. Love the pink car.

14 - peterws/pyotr - Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13 It is a little odd - not your playing, but the composition - and then it just fades out...

15 - patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu An early, angry piece! So dramatic! You did an excellent job bringing it all out. Loved the transition to the middle section. Those fast downward arpeggios at the end of the middle section were very nice. Then the return to the A section was dramatic! Well done!

16 - Ganddalf - Seasons: May Loved the mood of this. Not many "White Nights" in Georgia, USA! The more lively middle section was very smooth, and the transition aback to the A section was very well done. Loved it!

17 - Richard (zrtf90) - Baba Yaga That's funny about the lullaby - there is so much missing from music notation that it's easy to come up with the wrong interpretation. But I think you've got it right now - well done!

18 - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) - The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January Loved the harmony shifts in this at the beginning of the middle section. You handled those fast arpeggios very well, and the little ornaments. The transition back to the A section was nicely done. Thanks for sharing!

19 - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) - The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February Two months in a row! Nice pedal work and great touch on the detached chords. Nice contrast in the middle section and a great buildup.

21 - gingko2 - Mama You're right, it could be a little louder. When recording, as a test play your loudest chord and adjust the recording volume so that it doesn't clip or distort - then you can record knowing you'll have a good level. Sounded great, though. Loved the ending - very smooth and subtle.

22 - earlofmar - Dolly Is Ill Yes, the simplest pieces can be the hardest since your playing is so exposed. You brought out a simple tenderness that was very well done! I can imagine the little girl saying, "Poor Dolly is sick...".

23 - Richard (zrtf90) - Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 Yes, the Album Leafs were intended to be gifts that were left in the albums of a host when you were a houseguest. Just something that the composer would dash off as a thank you note! Loved the way you tapered off the ending!

24 - ajames - Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral A funeral march for poor Dolly. Voicing sounds great, and the pedaling and detached chords too. You can learn a lot from playing something like this, and it sounds like you took advantage of it.

25 - timmyab - Waltz op. 40 no. 8 I couldn't tell without the music in front of me that you changed anything. Sounds very convincing. Loved the little tempo changes in the middle section.

26 - jfmartins - Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga Yes, I can see her prancing around on her little chicken legs. Great job!

More to come!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
36 Morodiene 2 2

I didn`t listen in order; I`m a fella . . .Your expertise in this is immediately apparent; another hard one which I certainly wouldn`t have considered! You have an active LH which sounds great. And the ending was quite something . . . tremendous work, and I couldn`t spot the join!

37 Mr Pozor Mazurka

Plenty here to keep your fingers and brain busy. Yes, recording can be hard work . . You did darned well, man! Keep `em coming . .

38 Carlos 88 37 12

Flows like a river. But watching a film as preparation for playing? Tht`s dedication. The racer`s edge, as it were. It shows. Lovely.

39 Clssc Lib 39 6

Lively and bright playing; is this the Doll that gets sick and dies? A delight to the old ears . . .

Well, guys, That`s my lot! Magnificent effort from everybody. I bet there`s loads are having a small break right now . . .I`m just enjoying playing easier stuff from some time ago. I tried to play some of these I played here. they have been almost forgotten now. . . eek

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I applaud all of you. Excellent performances. I enjoyed listening to your pieces, and I learned a little bit about Tchaikovsky along the way. Bravo!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
M
M
June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6 - Sam S:
Despite it being in 4, you give it a very lilting quality, like swaying in 2. A very clear melody that sings out above the LH chords. I like how you build things up in the syncopated major section. Wow that tricky ending with those broken chords, you handle that really well! I do wonder why Tchai was so sad in the summer, and happy in the winter?

Mama - gingko2:
You give such tenderness to this piece, like every note is a clear bell. I think I've found another piece I'd like to teach. Excellent job!

In regards to recording, it is better to record a little lower in volume, and then increase the gain afterwards. That way you don't risk clipping. In Audacity it's pretty easy to do this. I can describe it in detail if you wish.

Dolly Is Ill - earlofmar:
Now here is a piece I have taught before. These are great pieces because while "teaching" pieces or intended for the young (or young at heart) student, they offer a lot emotionally. You really connect with this piece, giving it a somber, delicate approach. I agree, no matter how "simple" a piece may seem, there is always more that one can do with it. Congratulations on a job well done!

Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 - Richard (zrtf90):
I really enjoy the pastoral quality of this. And then you get to that chromatic LH - crazy stuff! You give this piece a happy bounce to it throughout. I know about the score issues, my piece was hard to find and so I had to settle for a less-than-ideal score.

Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral - ajames:
Definitely a funeral march - every composer's got one I think. You lend this piece the necessary gravity and drama. One recommendation I have is adding a little more pedal so that the dotted rhythm really carries through, and a rit. at the end. Maybe ask what your teacher thinks about that and try it out. Great work on this!

Waltz op. 40 no. 8 - timmyab :
I think everyone of us know what you're talking about with struggling to finish in time. I've learned that we're never really 'done' or 'ready' with a piece, we just get to a point where it'll have to do. Really lovely playing here, though, those running 16s (?) are very graceful. I bet this would sound charming on an acoustic grand. I think I prefer Tchai's waltzes over many of Chopin's.

Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga - jfmartins:
Your playing adds a ferocity to this witch! Very nicely done and well-paced throughout. I really enjoyed this - great job!

Berceuse, Op. 72, No. 2 - MaryBee :
Such a peaceful work, going back and forth between major and minor. You play this beautifully, now I'm in love with this piece! I will have to teach this to one of my students once they're able to play at this level.

Meditation (Op. 72 no.5) - Ganddalf:
Your playing is so well-done in this, it's such a lush piece! I hear a few parts where I can tell you're not comfortable, but they don't ruin the effect of the piece, I could just sit back and enjoy it. Great work.

Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne - Rupak Bhattacharya:
I like your playing at the start of the piece, it has the necessary rubato, and clear melody. I'm sure you felt unprepared, but for those of us who don't know the piece, I really couldn't tell. You fooled me! Musically I think you were very clear. If you felt this bad about it, though, please keep working on it. Perhaps just take your time and work things slowly, unmusically, and get the technical aspects down before adding the musical stuff back in. If you have specific issues, perhaps post a topic about that and we can try to help with more detailed suggestions.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OP 39 10 Polka - peterws/pyotr
What a lovely Polka. You play it really playful with a lot of energy and humor. Well done.

German Song - Richard (zrtf90)
Nice modest playing of this German song. Real clean playing with a touch light as a feather, that brings out the melody nicely.

Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 - Greener / Jeff
Why the sad face? smile You made this recital a success!
Well played with the sadness and the singing voice. fine ending!

Morning Prayer - Richard (zrtf90)
I can see the people walking to the church for their morning service. Good spiritual playing smile

Op 39 14 FolkSong - peterws/pyotr
Love the reverb, it fits this piece really well. Lovely little gem. Thanks.

At Church Op. 39 No 23 - AZ_Astro
I don't think this sounds uneven. I think you did the piece justice. The slowness does not put me of, you play it very movingly. Thanks for sharing.

Impromptu op72 1 - peterws/pyotr
Too bad of the chopped off first note! I like this piece, it's full of energy! I'd think this is a fun piece to play, pretty difficult though. Nice sound from the recording.
I could not spot the joins.

Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13 - peterws/pyotr
I actually think you played this better then the Impromptu to be honest. The piece is indeed asking something that cannot be answered. Well done. Thanks.

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
[...]
31 Chopinoholic/Paul de Koning 72 14

Wonderful piano, school hellish (takes me back to my primary school, now demolished . . .) head teacher walking past, me trying to hide behind the pillar . . . Enjoyed this very much. There must`ve been a load o` work gone into it. Beautiful, man.

32 Chopinaholic 72 15

Those runs at 1 50 like Chopion wrote them, beautifully played by yourself. I`m not putting this on my list. No Siree! Love your confidence! Heard ya turning the page . . .
nd.

Thanks Pyotr, for your nice words. The "Chant" is indeed a lot of work..... still ahead smile. I love the piece though, it will stick with me probably.
And that darn page, lol. I wanted to print and tape all the different pages together, so I wouldn't need to turn pages. But I never came around doing that.

Paul

I meant "School Hall-ish" . . . .my schooldays were great. I won all my fights . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Next batch:

Gingko2 -Mama: Very nice dynamic control and pacing. This is a peaceful, loving piece and you do a beautiful job with it.

Earlofmar- Dolly is Ill: What a sad little piece. I really like your expression in this presentation. Very nice.

Richard (zrt90) Album Leaf: This piece has such a light feel, like skipping through a spring meadow. I really enjoyed you take on the piece.

Ajames The Dolls Funeral: Poor Dolly. You gave her a very nice memorial. Very nice pacing and dynamics! Truly an axcellent job for nine months experience!

Timmyab Waltz: What a gentle and beautiful Waltz! Beautiful job on the running passages! They stay light and floating. Really nice presentation.

JfMartins Baba Yaga: This one sounds like quite the finger twister! I like the energy that you give it.

MaryBee- Berceuse: I love the rocking accompaniment and the arpeggiated chords. It sets a peaceful mood, interrupted momentarily by some wind and waves. Very beautiful presentation! It sounds like quite the challenge!

Gandalf- Meditation: This piece has such grandeur, and your playing really does it justice. It sounds complex, but it sounds like you were up to the challenge.

Rupal Bhattacharyo Nocturne: This is a truly beautiful piece. I think you did a lovely job with it. Your presentation was very musical. You paced the piece well.

Gandalf - Quintuple Waltz: A 5/4 waltz! How unusual! It still has a classic waltz feel. You do a lovely job of keeping the energy through it, like whirling dancers. Beautiful playing!

A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
Some more:

15 patH Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu So much contrast throughout this one, and complexity. Wonderful to hear, although I think most of it went over my head. Begs for repeated listening.

16 Ganddalf Seasons: May Thanks for the great info, now I finally understand the "White Nights" title for this piece. It sounds like plants growing and flowers opening to me. Wonderful playing.

17 Richard (zrtf90) Baba Yaga, Op. 39 I almost picked this one, so I really wanted to hear it played. Your version sounds great.

18 Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January Interesting take by P.T. on January. Beautiful theme, loved the ending. Really enjoyed your playing.

19 Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. February Russians going a little stir crazy in the middle of winter? So dynamic, loved listening to this one.

20 Sam S June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6 Languorous feel, fits with a relaxed summer evening. Very cool job on the ending section. I really enjoyed listening to your version.

21 ginko2 Mama Op. 39 Very sweet piece, you made it sound so flowing and musical. Great job.

22 earlofmar Dolly is Ill, Op. 39 Very tense, you can feel the worry and uncertainty. Good tempo and dynamics, sounded great.

23 Richard (zrtf90) Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 Like the light-hearted feel and spritely tempo.

24 ajames Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral There
you go again, bringing down the quality level on another e-cital...

25 timmyab Waltz op. 40 no. 8 Fantastic playing, really enjoyable to listen to this.

26 jfmartins Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga Great job on this action piece. Very energetic sound.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer peterws/pyotr From N England
Piece Op 39 14 FolkSong
Composer Tchaikovsky

A busy little ditty. I like the way Tchaikovsky spaces the chords in the middle and brings in some order. You kept the pace nicely and captured the spirit of the piece perfectly, I think. Kept you on your toes, indeed! And only 38 seconds long. I bet it felt longer!

Performer AZ_Astro
Piece At Church Op. 39 No 23
Composer Tchaikovsky

This was my contribution, recorded on my Kawai KG-5. I was able to play this once on a 9’ Concert D Steinway at the local Steinway Dealer and this simple piece really came to life! A thoughtful and graceful work by Tchaikovsky.

Performer peterws/pyotr
From N england
Piece Impromptu op72 1
Composer Tchaikovsky

An intellectual piece. The A section is jaunty and haunting. Tchaikovsky gives us no rest there. So when the B section arrives, I was more than ready to relieve some tension. Love the phrases that begin in the bass about 30 seconds from the end. Very challenging piece! “…I fell in love with the enigmatic face of the beautiful pianist.” Sigh. We need to see her.

Performer peterws/pyotr
From N England
Piece Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13
Composer Can`t Remember

I really liked the melody but then Tchaikovsky didn’t develop it further. I thought this piece called for a B section. Did it feel repetitive to you? Thoughtfully played. More vodka, I think [Tchaikovsky, not you]! Nice work.

Performer patH (Patrick Hollstein)
From Germany
Piece Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu
Composer P.I.Tchaikovsky

I’m having some trouble getting my head around this piece. Very chaotic and - impromptu indeed. Then, thankfully, the transition and interlude arrive with some relief. What a challenging piece. I’m impressed that you would select this piece to play; it certainly reflects a maturity in playing and in musicality. Anyway, congrats on tackling this one. A worthy contribution.

Performer Ganddalf
From Norway
Piece Seasons: May
Composer Tchaikovsky

Listening, I can see a snowy landscape through a frosty window. It’s still cold outside. But there is drama and the world is out there, dynamic and awesome. The piece captures the mood elegantly. I am drawn in by the music, and am not even thinking about your playing here. Well done.

From Ireland
Piece Baba Yaga
Composer Tchaikovsky

A delightful, strange, and most unusual work. You dug deeply into it. It does sound tricky! But I thought you played admirably and gave it a very genuine and honest interpretation. Another one minute wonder by Tchaikovsky.

Performer Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott)
From western MA, USA
Piece The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January

Tchaikovsky surprises with this piece, doesn’t he? I didn’t expect certain chords, or notes, here and there. A glorious transition around 1:30. I liked the overall mood and color of this piece. You captured many of the complexities and I quite enjoyed it.

Performer Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott)
From western MA, USA
Piece The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February

Moving on to February, are we? Tchaikovsky seems to hit his stride with this piece and it sounds orchestral in its voicing and presentation. Complex and mature. Difficult to pull off on the piano, I’d guess! But you succeed, I think, on many levels. The Steinway works here. Great job.

Performer Sam S
From Georgia, USA
Piece June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6
Composer Tchaikovsky

Beautiful mood music from the very beginning. I loved the melody, the phrasing, and the pace and it was very easy to ignore the little mistakes because you play through them expertly. I am becoming a big fan of “Russian” music. I don’t exactly know what I mean by that yet but I know it when I hear it! I do know that emotions run deep to the core, as they do in this piece. The Bechstein adds a plaintive voice to the overall music that I quite enjoy. I can see playing this one late at night! Superb interpretation and a lot of fun to listen to. Thanks!

(more later)

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 04/17/14 10:28 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Here she is Astro . . .AND the music! Enjoy . . .

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
Great recital - very enjoyable. I must confess to not being too knowledgeable about Tchaikovsky's music for the piano and this was a very inspirational recital. Well done everyone who played.

Kawai CA67
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Next set:
Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu - patH (Patrick Hollstein)
Love the piece. Want to learn it too now. My list lengthens.
The middle section is stoically played, until the anger slowly comes back in the reprise of the main theme.

Seasons: May - Ganddalf
Well played Ganddalf. Love the modesty put in the piece. Thanks for sharing.

Baba Yaga - Richard (zrtf90)
Sounds like a which on the prawl smile. Nice piece!

The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott)
What a beautiful piece. Listened to it a couple of times with the sheet music in front of me. The arpeggios in the middle section are well played with lots of dynamics. That last e is a bit out of tune though laugh.
I love this. Thank you for joining the recital.

The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February - Heather W. Reichgott
Well played. Same goes for this piece as I said for January. But I like January more smile

June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6 - Sam S
Looks like a tricky piece. I think you played the cantabile convincing. Thanks for sharing.

Mama - gingko2
The sound was indeed pretty soft, but no matter because I turned up the volume. smile You can use audacity to crank up the volume of an mp3 file. Just hit effects -> amplify ->"ok" and the magic happens.
Lovely piece and you played it really sensitive. A perfect gift for all the mamas out there.

Dolly Is Ill - earlofmar
Omg the sadness! Well done. Poor Dolly.
Only thing I want to say though is that some of the notes are not all held long enough (for the whole measure). That's a bit picky maybe, but it may add to the already good sounding of the piece.
Thanks for sharing!

Paul

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Here she is Astro . . .AND the music! Enjoy . . .

Ha! Ah, yes. I see the inspiration now. And I heard a lot of your piece in hers. Thanks!

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PhilzPiano
Great recital - very enjoyable. I must confess to not being too knowledgeable about Tchaikovsky's music for the piano and this was a very inspirational recital. Well done everyone who played.

Before this recital, I didn't even know that Tchaikovsky wrote for the piano! So it was certainly an exploration for me.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission