2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Old Man #2262733 04/16/14 06:48 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Old Man

Wrong. The purpose of the thirst mechanism is to signal that water is needed.

Exactly! You've contradicted yourself, Old Man. The logic is simple, I'm sure you can find the line and follow it if you try.

If the goal is to never feel thirsty, then we should all run around with IV lines attached to bags of D5W, so we never have to worry about hydration.

What a ridiculous thing to say. That's clearly not true.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2262734 04/16/14 06:48 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Atrys

Yet, still, you have no proposition, you do not attack a proposition, and you commit yourself to fallacy. Your posts are literally meaningless, so I suppose there's nothing for me to say on that point wink

The least I can do here is to make others aware that you do not offer sound advice, as it is unfounded. You can PM me if you'd like some recommendations on material for you to study so that you can begin offering actual advice to those who seek it. Until you take it upon yourself to correct your understanding, your posts are meaningless.

Wow, you really are a hopeless case.

You really have no insight, or even self-awareness. Like an infant, in fact. (Children have no real self-awareness until they are about 18 months old - another medical fact for your delectation, in case you're interested).

BTW, how many piano teachers have you got rid of now (or, more likely, they got rid of you grin), since your first post here where you blithely told us that your teacher was 'learning' from you?

Do you seriously think that anyone here has anything to learn from you? Or are you really so self-deluded, with your massive ego?

If music be the food of love, play on!
bennevis #2262736 04/16/14 06:53 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis

Wow, you really are a hopeless case.

You really have no insight, or even self-awareness. Like an infant, in fact. (Children have no real self-awareness until they are about 18 months old - another medical fact for your delectation, in case you're interested).

BTW, how many piano teachers have you got rid of now (or, more likely, they got rid of you grin), since your first post here where you blithely told us that your teacher was 'learning' from you?

Do you seriously think that anyone here has anything to learn from you? Or are you really so self-deluded, with your massive ego?

The rage is back laugh

You do not make any propositions, you do not attack any propositions, and commit yourself to fallacy by attacking the person. This method of discourse must be deeply ingrained in your psyche if you can't even realize you're doing it. Try to avoid getting so emotional kiddo! You are not strong in logic, but that doesn't mean you have to get all worked up over it.

I would suggest studying up on propositional logic and discreet mathematics topics (set theory is always helpful). You have some serious logical gaps, mate.

Last edited by Atrys; 04/16/14 06:54 PM.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
bennevis #2262737 04/16/14 06:55 PM
T
T
You're a danger to people.

Have you really read and thought about what you're saying? I don't know how hard any of you all practice, but hyponatremia is usually the result of extreme physical activity (e.g. marathons) coupled with drinking way too much water--leaving the victim with a dangerous electrolyte imbalance. I don't believe anyone suggested the OP should drink 4 liters of water per hour, which is the level of water we're talking about. (Svenno also said this above... apparently we googled the same page)

To adanepst (the OP): how much are you practicing per day? I apologize if you already said this somewhere. I knew someone once who was practicing/rehearsing/performing about 8-10 hours per day and he described a similar feeling. He was a full-time professional pianist in his 40s at the time, so it's not like he was an undergrad cramming for juries. It was a short-term situation, and after about 4 weeks he was able to cut back to a more civilized piano regimen of ~4 hours a day. He felt fine after that, but I think it was also a wake-up call for him.

Is it possible you're simply practicing too much? Maybe you need to examine how efficiently you're working. Some people just can't do 8 hour days at the piano on a consistent basis and not suffer from it. Unless you're a REALLY vigorous practicer, I'd be surprised if your fatigue is the result of dehydration or electrolyte imbalance.

--------------------------
Bach WTC 1 #7
Brahms Op 76 #1, Op 118 #5
Debussy Suite Bergamasque
Atrys #2262739 04/16/14 07:00 PM
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
...on behalf of someone that does not even organize written language....You do not make any propositions, you do not attack any propositions, and commit yourself to fallacy by attacking the person....
They said the same of Joyce and Bernhard wink And for your burgeoning education, it's called poetry, dear; one day you may recognise the value in it and I hope you shall, for you'll be all the richer for the experience...I'll leave your own words to stir themselves. Currawong...I feel I have to say that I'm genuinely touched that you read one of my "shear rants" (they're very wooly). I know you struggle with my formatting more than most, I'd wager. Um...it really means a lot to know that, sure, you won't read everything that I plop out...but that you may still try yet means more to me than society permits me to express smile You have class, I'll grant you that much.
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
Atrys #2262740 04/16/14 07:04 PM
B
B
Drink when you're thirsty

This is incomplete. If one is feeling thirsty, it's already too late. The whole point is to avoid the feeling of thirst. It follows that one should be drinking water regularly to keep fluid levels up.

Old Man has got it right.

Atrys, you've Googled the wrong website (belonging to a bottled water company, probably) - for the umpteenth time.

Or else you're about twenty years behind the times, when such 'advice' (especially in lifestyle magazines) was all the rage. BTW, the corollary, that one should be snacking regularly to keep blood glucose levels up, has contributed to the current obesity and Type 2 diabetes epidermic.

More medical facts for your continuing education. grin

adanepst #2262741 04/16/14 07:09 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
And Atrys is the one who goes around accusing people of having superiority complexes. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
bennevis #2262744 04/16/14 07:10 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Atrys, you've Googled the wrong website (belonging to a bottled water company, probably) - for the umpteenth time.

Or else you're about twenty years behind the times, when such 'advice' (especially in lifestyle magazines) was all the rage. BTW, the corollary, that one should be snacking regularly to keep blood glucose levels, has contributed to the current obesity epidermic.

More logical fallacies, yay! Is it a hobby of yours to practice these fallacies? It certainly seems so. You are really, truly, not skilled at discourse or assertions. This fact says so much about how you think (protip: it's not coherent).

You know, it's never too late to back to university and take courses on logic (even health sciences!). It's good for the brain. Actually, you can even access the material on the internet, you just won't be assessed on it so it's difficult to enforce an understanding (which you've nicely demonstrated for us with your spreading of misinformation smile ).

R. W. Emerson
TimV #2262745 04/16/14 07:10 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by TimV
You're a danger to people.

Have you really read and thought about what you're saying? I don't know how hard any of you all practice, but hyponatremia is usually the result of extreme physical activity (e.g. marathons) coupled with drinking way too much water--leaving the victim with a dangerous electrolyte imbalance.

TimV, have you actually read all my posts here?

You've missed something, which FSO has also pointed out.

BTW, I didn't Google prior to posting, unlike you and Svenno. I know of what I write.

bennevis #2262750 04/16/14 07:15 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I know of what I write.

Haha! Clearly not. Spreading misinformation is not "knowing". You've gone far past the line of absurdity laugh

Last edited by Atrys; 04/16/14 07:15 PM.

R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2262751 04/16/14 07:17 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I can feel another Atrys flame war coming on.

Your limbic system must be dysfunctional thumb

Now that I have been shown to be quite correct in my prediction, perhaps we can consider the possibility that I'm not the one with the dysfunctional limbic system.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Atrys #2262752 04/16/14 07:17 PM
B
B

Or else you're about twenty years behind the times, when such 'advice' (especially in lifestyle magazines) was all the rage. BTW, the corollary, that one should be snacking regularly to keep blood glucose levels, has contributed to the current obesity epidermic.

More logical fallacies, yay! Is it a hobby of yours to practice these fallacies? It certainly seems so. You are really, truly, not skilled at discourse or assertions. This fact says so much about how you think (protip: it's not coherent).

You know, it's never too late to back to university and take courses on logic (even health sciences!). It's good for the brain. Actually, you can even access the material on the internet, you just won't be assessed on it so it's difficult to enforce an understanding (which you've nicely demonstrated for us with your spreading of misinformation smile ).

You remind me now of a movie where the hero (or fall guy, I can't remember which), believes that if he keeps repeating something often enough, it will miraculously become true.

You're beginning to sound like a parrot grin.

Try a more intelligent creature instead, like a dolphin. (They squeak wink ).

FSO #2262754 04/16/14 07:21 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by FSO
Currawong...I feel I have to say that I'm genuinely touched that you read one of my "shear rants" (they're very wooly). I know you struggle with my formatting more than most, I'd wager. Um...it really means a lot to know that, sure, you won't read everything that I plop out...but that you may still try yet means more to me than society permits me to express smile You have class, I'll grant you that much.
Xxx
Ta, love. smile I've worked out a few strategies for coping - I won't tell Atrys what they are, lest he read your posts and find out what you think of him! laugh

Du holde Kunst...
adanepst #2262755 04/16/14 07:22 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
@bennevis
More fallacies! You are effectively saying nothing ha

You are clearly not thinking before you write your posts. A thinking person cannot commit themselves to fallacy in the way that you do. Maybe it's just your lack of understanding of material that's causing some cognitive dissonance.

I'll remind you that you actually believe "strong fingers" are important. This speaks for itself; you are not a thinking person.

R. W. Emerson
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Now that I have been shown to be quite correct in my prediction

Poly, dear boy, this was a bennevis flame war. He is the only one acting out of frustration and rage instead of remaining civil and objective in the discourse.

R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2262759 04/16/14 07:39 PM
B
B
Atrys, I understand your frustration, I really do wink .

To be out-manoeuvred at every turn by several people - yes, it's hard to bear, for someone with your gigantic ego. "It's monumental!" (as David Helfgott's piano professor said of Rach 3 in the movie 'Shine' - there, I'm educating you yet again thumb).

So, for your ego's sake, I concede defeat. You can have the last word.

It's bedtime here, but you can go on with your flame war against Poly, FSO, Old Man et al. I might catch up on proceedings in the morning.......

adanepst #2262765 04/16/14 07:50 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
@bennevis
You've done it yet again! I could have foretold that wink

Your approach to civil argument is like that of a pre-pubescent boy: naive and not understanding. You get really emotional too, which says a lot.

Next time you try and offer advice to those who seek it, it helps to actually know what you're talking about (and how to formulate that into a proposition for advice). You failed to do so. Like I said, I'm glad that the things you assert are so off the mark that a thinking person would never take you seriously.

If OP is still with us, be aware that bennevis does not operate according to reason, but instead according to his own, deranged perception of understanding.

R. W. Emerson
adanepst #2262769 04/16/14 07:54 PM
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The lady doth protests too much, methinks.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Atrys #2262775 04/16/14 08:12 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Now that I have been shown to be quite correct in my prediction

Poly, dear boy, (...)

If it weren't for this kind of attitude, I think more of us would put up with you.

Atrys #2262788 04/16/14 08:40 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
If OP is still with us...

Oh, I'm sure he's still with us, but I doubt he's with you. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission