2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Hi everyone,

As a "getting reacquainted" present, an old friend recently gave me a gift card to a nearby sheet music store. It's probably re-gifted, but I'm still pretty happy with it. The only catch is, it must be used within two weeks or will expire.

So I was thinking: once I finish my current long-term "Burgmüller opus 100" project, where do I move on to? I know what you're probably all going to say: ideally, this is a question I should be asking of my own teacher. I don't disagree. But I won't be seeing her before April 25, since we're on Easter break right now. And by then, the gift card will have expired. Also, it can't hurt to get different people's ideas.

The pattern that has emerged in my lessons since I started with this teacher goes more or less like this:

• I have a list of "dream pieces" that are way over my head, from which I've so far picked two each year to work on long-term (three to four months).
  • I have shorter-term repertoire pieces, my choices of which have so far almost always been determined either by a themed recital on the ABF, or something I'd heard someone else play for one of the quarterlies. I work on those for about four to five weeks, usually.
  • I occasionally do Bach because my teacher tells me to, since Bach is a major part of the minimum piano curriculum at my music school.
  • Burgmüller, so far, has mainly served the purpose of giving me something new to read on a regular basis, because most of the other music I play I tend to have heard before. And in my case, having heard something before is pretty deadly for my inclination to actually read the sheet music. It's also gotten to the point where Burgmüller is now easy enough that I can get one of those opus 100 pieces under my fingers in a week, and then work on it another week (or several weeks, if I want to perform it in public) for spit and polish.

So my question: can you think of any other collections like Burgmüller opus 100, meant to build technique but also musical, short but "performable", and close but not too close in difficulty level to where I am right now?

I'd hate to go from here straight to always exclusively working on "serious" repertoire, because as I move on in that, I fear I'm eventually going to get to a point where *everything* takes three or four months (if not longer) to get performance-ready. I think that would suck the fun out of it. So, what else can I get?

ETA: If you're going to suggest Bach inventions or sinfonias, I already have those smile.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Heller 50 Selected Studies (from op 47,48, 49)

or/also Burgmuller op 109 then 105

The Heller studies progress nicely to Mendelssohn Songs Without Words

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Dan's suggestion is excellent. I cannot recall the opus number of his easiest etudes, but that would be an alternate choice. There are also graded anthologies of etudes which you can look at.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Dan's suggestion is excellent. I cannot recall the opus number of his easiest etudes, but that would be an alternate choice. There are also graded anthologies of etudes which you can look at.

Thanks... I would love to know about another Burgmuller opus! I wasn't aware of any that were worthwhile other than the ones mentioned.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks, John and Dan!

I think I might get both Heller and some more Burgmüller. I also read elsewhere that Kabalewski might be worth considering. If so, what are the relevant opus numbers? Any thoughts on the usefulness of Kabalwski pieces in general, for my purposes?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm not a huge fan of Kabalevski, but there are a few pieces I like, such as the Tocatina; it's in A minor. There's also a nice Sonatina. Maybe someone can help out with the op numbers on those.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks, Dan.

While we're at it (if you don't mind): suppose you had about 70 dollars to spend on sheet music (which I do, give or take), and suppose you were in my shoes. What would you get, just generally speaking?

I usually pick my pieces either for a specific purpose (such as for an ABF recital or to play with and for friends), or because there's a remnant of them haunting me in my dreams; I've had to ask my teacher or Shazam to identify a stray fragment of music for me more than once. But pieces that "call out" to me that way are usually on the "way over my head" side of things.

Besides the obvious (Clementi Sonatinas, perhaps Kuhlau too, and Bach and Bach and then more Bach), what would you recommend for someone like me?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Diabelli Op. 168 Sonatinas

Kabalevsky Op. 27 (that's the one with Toccatina)

Tchaikovsky Op. 39 Album for the Young

I'm not a big fan of the other Burgmuller studies. The Schumann Album for the Young is all over the map in terms of difficulty.

But if you're going to play the Rameau Gavotte with the 6 Doubles, that piece is way more advanced than anything being suggested so far. Is that your "dream piece"?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
But if you're going to play the Rameau Gavotte with the 6 Doubles, that piece is way more advanced than anything being suggested so far. Is that your "dream piece"?

It's on the list. I realise it's going to take me a long, long time to get that thing anywhere near presentable. Maybe it's completely beyond me for now, and if I can't play it at recital after four months of trying, I'll just drop it. But I'm still going to try, because I always do. Shoot for the stars, and if you happen to land on the moon, be happy.

Right now, I'm looking for things that will be playable for me with two to four weeks of practice. Something to break up the routine with while I'm working on a "way beyond me" piece for months on end.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Dan, I was referring to the Heller suggestion.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You need more 20th-21st c. !

There's a beautiful "Fairy Tale" by Kabalevsky that you might enjoy.

Bartok, Mikrokosmos either book 2 or 3 (I'm guessing 3 is right for the time scale you are talking about)

Violet Archer, can't think of a specific piece but she has some good music at this level.

Seymour Bernstein "Birds"

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hreichgott
You need more 20th-21st c. !

Stravinsky Cinq Doigts!!!

Learner
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Dan, I was referring to the Heller suggestion.

Oh, yeah that makes more sense.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Saranoya

While we're at it (if you don't mind): suppose you had about 70 dollars to spend on sheet music (which I do, give or take), and suppose you were in my shoes. What would you get, just generally speaking?

Heller 50 selected studies -Shirmer ed
Songs Without Words- get a nicer edition of this one. It's worth it
Classics, Romantics, Moderns-carl fischer--it's a red book.

For the other 2 Burgmullers, I have the Alfred's edition. It's nicely readable.

Alfred's also has introductory books to many composers,
such as these...
I use the Beethoven one with a lot of students.

I just want to add, I went on a music spending spree some years ago, and I remember just feeling overwhelmed. Completely overwhelmed by all the music that I felt that I needed to play.

There's so much to play and tastes change as you progress...

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by DanS
Heller 50 selected studies -Shirmer ed
Songs Without Words- get a nicer edition of this one. It's worth it.

OK. Heller it is, then smile. The Songs without Words left on the list were beyond my reach (at least to learn within the timeframe I would have had to) when the themed Mendelssohn recital came around here the last time. But maybe I'm there, now. We'll see. In any case, I'll want to get some version of those at some point, so it might as well be now.

Classics, Romantics, Moderns-carl fischer--it's a red book.

I already have that one. My teacher brought me that book along with the Burgmüller at my second lesson with her.

Alfred's also has introductory books to many composers,
such as these...
I use the Beethoven one with a lot of students.

Looks interesting! Thanks.

I just want to add, I went on a music spending spree some years ago, and I remember just feeling overwhelmed. Completely overwhelmed by all the music that I felt that I needed to play.

There's so much to play and tastes change as you progress...

That ... is definitely true. Which is why I tried to be specific in my original request: something that can come after Burgmüller 100, and take over the specific function Burgmüller 100 is fulfilling for me, right now. Heller and the other two Burgmüllers seem to be the popular options in that regard. That, plus Songs Without Words, and maybe Alfred's introduction to Schumann. I think I'm over budget already! smile.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission