2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 69 of 74 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 73 74
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
A quick apology for not participating (actually even keeping up with the posts) in the discussion of late. Particularly so, after rallying the troops to do so.

I'm delighted though to see the activity here and so many new folks contributing.

I will endeavor to get caught up soon, but have had engagements nearly every night this week (unexpected) and not letting up yet. Meanwhile, I'm reading when I am able to, and very interested in the discussion ... Thank you.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by keystring

How about the notes that I highlighted when first trying to answer your poorly-understood question? Would you bring any of those out?

Here is how I perceive that section, and I have to start before the part that you did:
There is a dim7 thingy starting at m. 32 which goes down several octaves. It shifts to something else at measure 37. Here we have the figure: D#, C#, B# in m.37. It repeats in m. 38 - D#, C#, B# in m. 38. Then in m. 39 it changes to D, C#, B#. This is significant.

But you actually should look at the dim7 chord, because if it had continued, you would hit the D#, and you expect it to continue as D# , B#, A.... Instead the next note after D# is C# and that continual cascade down the diminished chord is stopped. The D# in m. 37 is still in pairs, but the C# that follows has broken that rhythm, and we start with triplets.

That is how I see it as a big picture, and that is what would guide part of my interpretation and "orientation to the big picture" if you will.

This whole section is at least part of a loose development section. I'm not going to get into whether or not the first movement is sonata form, loose-sonata form, or something related to sonata form.

You have a series of diminished chords.

The first is B# D# F# A, the next Fx A# C# E, then back to the first. In between you have C#m/G#. But because G# is struck again and again, it serves as something of a pedal tone effect. And always B# D# F# A over the G# bass forms G#7b9, a very powerful dominant effect in the key of C# minor.

As Beethoven closes this section, he is still playing around with the B# D# F# A, still with the G# bass and forming G#7b9 right before he cadences to A then D#m7b5/F# OR F#m6 then G# G#7 and home.

All this makes a sense of hits own, but it is the D natural that I would accentuate greatly by echoing it, still bringing it out but softer, because all of as sudden for just a moment it gives you a D/G# sound, still the G# bass, but with a D chord, then moving to F#/G then back to the diminished or flat 9 chord.

To me that D chord and the D that is double stemmed shows things. First, all those double-stemmed notes are important and need to be heard clearly. Second, you have to do something with that D natural, because it is spectacularly yet subtly dissonant, and it sounds to me like a moan, or a sigh, or at least something very sad.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gary D.

All this makes a sense of hits own, but it is the D natural that I would accentuate greatly by echoing it, still bringing it out but softer, because all of as sudden for just a moment it gives you a D/G# sound, still the G# bass, but with a D chord, then moving to F#/G then back to the diminished or flat 9 chord.

To me that D chord and the D that is double stemmed shows things. First, all those double-stemmed notes are important and need to be heard clearly. Second, you have to do something with that D natural, because it is spectacularly yet subtly dissonant, and it sounds to me like a moan, or a sigh, or at least something very sad.

The D nat - that's a great tip.

Thanks for the post...nice to have something to get the teeth into!

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Destroying the composer's intention is almost as bad as changing notes in my opinion.

Somewhat agree, but would like to ask. Why do we have to be true to the composer's intention?

Their job is done, they are dead now, and where is the rule book about this?

New arrangements and radical interpretation changes are common in modern music. Are they frowned upon with classical?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Greener
Destroying the composer's intention is almost as bad as changing notes in my opinion.

Somewhat agree, but would like to ask. Why do we have to be true to the composer's intention?

Good question. Actually, these days I've got into to the habit of slipping in at least one maverick phrase per piece in order to try and frustrate YT's annoying habit of falsely detecting "matched third-party content".

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I've started playing through this movement, and discover that physically interacting with the score and the music, even hesitantly, allows me to hear it better than just listening to a recording, even if I listen with the score. In the recording it all sounds seamless, but when I play it I can hear subtle changes happening in the harmony. I can't really hear the meaning of the changes, but I can tell he was doing one thing and then a few beats later he's shifted it a little bit.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Their job is done, they are dead now, and where is the rule book about this?

New arrangements and radical interpretation changes are common in modern music. Are they frowned upon with classical?

I was thinking about this a little more.

In the light of Godowsky's wholesale note-changing/adding to Schubert's 94/3 can I press you, PP, to say what you think of it?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This whole section is at least part of a loose development section. I'm not going to get into whether or not the first movement is sonata form, loose-sonata form, or something related to sonata form.

You have a series of diminished chords.

The first is B# D# F# A, the next Fx A# C# E, then back to the first. In between you have C#m/G#.

Yes. I used the silly wording "diminished thingy" because it stays diminished, even if which diminished chord is being played changes. Of course a diminished chord has an unsettled feeling - it wants to go somewhere - so this whole section has a sense of heightened tension. That is why when it finally settles down there is a feeling of relief, and right at that feeling of relief we also hear the refrain from the very beginning coming back.

But because G# is struck again and again, it serves as something of a pedal tone effect. And always B# D# F# A over the G# bass forms G#7b9, a very powerful dominant effect in the key of C# minor.

Indeed, that repeated G# gives me a feeling of waiting for C# minor to come back.

As Beethoven closes this section, he is still playing around with the B# D# F# A, still with the G# bass and forming G#7b9 right before he cadences to A then D#m7b5/F# OR F#m6 then G# G#7 and home.

The A is the point where I feel the tension let up. And the D natural and the shift in melody that is the harbinger of that change.

Polyphonist asked in terms of melody. One of the things for me is that during the spate of broken diminished chords there isn't a melody. Then suddenly the tail end of the last dim chord becomes a melody. That melody is repeated and then it changes and both the fact of a melody emerging, and the the change in the melody are powerful things. I cannot bring myself to only think of the notes D# D C# B# because to me there is more to it than just a chromatic descent.

To me that section starts at the diminished, because the diminished melts into that melody, and then the melody shape-shifts or changes its colour, all of it bringing us home.
All this makes a sense of hits own, but it is the D natural that I would accentuate greatly by echoing it, still bringing it out but softer...

Hm, both bring out a note, and softer --- I see a subtle lengthening or linger in bringing it out. (?)

Originally Posted by keystring

Here is how I perceive that section, .....

Just a minute. It looks like there's plenty of substance to this post, but I don't have a score with me at the moment. I will look at it when I get home. smile

Still quite interested in what you will have to say. Your take was more on the melodic side and you brought out that one element, but of course there are so many things in an interplay. For myself I find that one insight will lead me to others.

You have highlighted a significant section.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Any interesting inner voices anyone's found and would like to share? smile

I don't know how far you want to go with this but here's a fabulous feast of inner voices.

Godowsky is a genius, for sure. He made countless arrangements, transcriptions, and paraphrases, all of very high quality. One could even make the case that this particular one exceeds the original.

I was going to write what my favorite sections are, but now I realize I can't because I really like them all. I'll just give one example; the descending RH alto line from 1:40 to 1:46. Beautiful. And then that luscious Brahmsian setting of the return of the first section at 2:01.

Here is the score, for those that want to give it a try.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Z
zrtf90 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I'm so glad I wasn't waiting for that post! smile

Richard
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I had just been reading over the thread and realized I'd never replied to that post, and since this thread has been dropped and revived many times in the past, I figured why not do it again and fire up some discussion. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Godowsky is a genius, for sure. He made countless arrangements, transcriptions, and paraphrases, all of very high quality. One could even make the case that this particular one exceeds the original.

I was going to write what my favorite sections are, but now I realize I can't because I really like them all. I'll just give one example; the descending RH alto line from 1:40 to 1:46. Beautiful. And then that luscious Brahmsian setting of the return of the first section at 2:01.
I also prefer this to the original. Whenever I listen to Kissin's performance I have to play it a few times - I can’t imagine it being bettered. Those two passages in particular are perfect. After hearing it I spent several weeks a while back trying to play it. Hopeless - fingers and brain both knotted in the struggle to remember then maintain the staccato rhythms with the legato melodies. I don’t have the technique but I’m going to have another go at this. If anyone is interested, to make it a little easier to focus on the legato I’ve modified the first two pages to highlight Kissin’s countermelodies – Moment Musical for dummies…If I can get through those I’ll finish the exercise.

Any chance of hearing you play this, PP?

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
... and since this thread has been dropped and revived many times in the past, I figured why not do it again and fire up some discussion. smile

Well I do intend to work on the 5th. by Liszt (Scherzo) and is a work I actually would prefer to work with a teacher on. Already I've caught stuff I didn't notice at first (thankfully before I memorized wrong) and was not playing right, and will be tricky to get nice.

Are you familiar with this work? I'm quite prepared to spend a long time on this one. Especially since you kindly pointed out I need to learn a whole extra movement smile

Actually, it looks like it gets a bit easier after page 4. Not sure. Also, haven't printed the last movement yet.

I'm up to M34 and will be going no further for a bit ...

I have couple queries if/when ready grin

I can upload the score here if you prefer.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Are you familiar with this work? ...I can upload the score here if you prefer.

There's no need - I have the score and am quite familiar with it. Query away. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Beautiful. So we start off in double piano ...

bah bah bah bah bahh bah bahh bah bahhhhhh ...

dahh da dahh da dahh da dahhh ...

OK, so backing up to M7; There will be a lot of staccato from here and moving forward correct? That is what these indications above the notes beginning in m7 are.

So how does that work, when I have a whole chord here being held for 2 beats. Is the staccato always applied to the entire chord? And if so, how do I do that when it is being held for TWO BEATS.

And what is this upsidedown new moon above m8? also forgot what poco rit is --while we are in this area-- and then un poco rit.

It gets more interesting, from a playing perspective at m19-m20.

BOOM double forte now.

This is tricky and what i nearly missed, and there will be a lot of it I think. Maybe not ...

M20 - Only the octave is held 3 beats, everything else one beat. Same thing M22,M24,M26. And the alternating measures I'll have to watch closely as well. Lots of practice ahead.

Anyway, I mostly need to get the staccato (if that is what this is) figured out, and how to apply in all the instances I am going to be coming across.

Lastly (for now,) any suggestions for M33 1st beat chord? LH is a stretch when including the Bb and will be tough to play clean at tempo.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
OK, so backing up to M7; There will be a lot of staccato from here and moving forward correct? That is what these indications above the notes beginning in m7 are.

So how does that work, when I have a whole chord here being held for 2 beats. Is the staccato always applied to the entire chord? And if so, how do I do that when it is being held for TWO BEATS.

It's actually portato, not staccato, which basically means detached. So just make sure to leave some space in between the notes. It doesn't need to be a full staccato.

And what is this upsidedown new moon above m8? also forgot what poco rit is --while we are in this area-- and then un poco rit.

The new moon is a fermata - it means to hold the note for longer than its value. poco rit is an abbreviation for poco ritardando, or "slow down a little."

Lastly (for now,) any suggestions for M33 1st beat chord? LH is a stretch when including the Bb and will be tough to play clean at tempo.

You can play the Bb and Db both with your thumb. It's a neat trick and very handy in these types of situations.

Hope that helped. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
It did, it does, more later. thx.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I wonder if I should learn this transcription.

Regards,

Polyphonist
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Wait, one more thing.

So if this is Portato, then what is staccato?

I believe they are indicated the same way, yes? So how would one know the difference?

Page 69 of 74 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission