2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2258812 04/08/14 07:21 PM
F
FSO Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
I give you Poe's Eldorado: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60febEio7hE Oh yes, I'm far from done laugh Um...okay, so I pondered criticisms from previous displays (slow harmonic progression, pointless, meandering, just plain rubbish, boooo etc.) and wondered if perhaps a large portion of my indecisive discrepancy and alienation from, to and/or with such comments was due to the fact that I've struggled to make clear my intent. I mean, um, *I* have a clear idea as to why the same chord may play 243 times but with what reason could I expect that of anyone else? My question is this: does presenting what I'm doing in this manner justify the very arguable inadequacies in my musicality? I mean...the music's the same...but the point has to be clearer, surely? I only ask as, frankly, being techtarded, making videos with animations takes me so *very* long...and I don't know of an easy way to make even such a basic video...and there's a watermark, and..and...*eh* laugh Um...anywho, *any* comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you *very* much for reading all the way down here! laugh
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
A huge leap. It seems the program forces you into concision. laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I agree with Polyphonist -- it's a more enjoyable experience for me than an open-ended (open-endless?) improvisation. For me, it had the charming effect of silent movie music accompaniment, but poetry instead of a movie. I look forward to your next poetry..uh..reading. Thanks for sharing!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
By the way, is that cumulative improvisation project still going on?

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
FSO Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Well...TBH some of them vignetted a tad... frown "Open-endless"...I *really* like that laugh Personally I like vaguity and an entirely personal, unanchoredness in most things; um...I'm not one to bemoan a television programme when it gets cancelled, for example, as the freedom to imagine the reality in an unfettered manner is all the more apparent...anyway! I can live with doing things like this from time to time smile Poly dear, it *is* rather and thank you for reminding me; I've waited a decent time for the next person to get back to me so I should probably move it along...ta very muchly!
Xxx

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
What are the R+Rs regarding it?

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
FSO Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
The...oh dear, um, the read...response...one of them's *got* to be response, right?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Rules + Regulations.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
FSO Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Ah, I see...um...none? laugh

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
There are no guidelines for the manner in which the recordings are submitted or selected? No length requirements? Nothing regarding style or form?

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
FSO Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Um...no, not really; there's an order (the order in which people claimed their interest in participating) and I send the stitched together file with respect to that order. I trust that each person will improvise upon hearing and then, well, that's about it...um...my original starting length was about 12 minutes, but I was advised by the first participant to shorten it, so I did...flexibility is inherent in the spirit of free art; um...if I were to put restrictions on it of any kind *improvisation* would become limited, stilted, tainted. I mean, if I were to say "improvise about a tree" one could not improvise about a sandcastle without bastardising the objective. Any limitation at all would be to state what one can't do, which would lessen what one *could*; taken to its extremity, putting limitations on form, structure, style, key, harmonics, progressions, modality, length and instrument (I never stated it has to be piano that people submit, though given the forum the implication would likely curtail any other choice) would leave, remembering this is the extremity, um, only *one* possible piece, that is to say, not an improvisation at all but a composition dictated by negation. Therefore, *any* type of requirement or restriction will compromise the nature of the improvisation. I'm not a fool, um, I know the "extreme" to which I allude is ridiculous, but the nature and presence of that corruption, that compromise, is very real; imperceptible, perhaps, but I don't care about what can be perceived, I only care about what *is* (with respect to this at least)...so...um...no, no restrictions sparing that it *is* improvisation smile Of course, what that means to each person is different and to regulate that too would be in and of itself a corruption again...how I imagined it would go is *not* how it would go; even from the first participant it's entirely different. I expected a seamless (as much as it could be, at least) transition from person to person, but that is not as it is. Hopefully it'll be good, but that's not what's important (to me, at least laugh ); improvisation is an incredible thing...it's so impossibly fragile...anyway! laugh
Xxx

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Might as well send it along to me then.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
FSO Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Well wonderful! When it gets along to you (I'll pop you on the end, if you don't mind) I hope you'll be free to record...yay! laugh
Xxx

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi FSO, I found this quite enjoyable and liked the range of colour.

The discussion in the thread reminds me of something attributed to Debussy. He said that because he could compose in fugue form he did not have to do so.

So after this particular improvisatory opus maybe you should feel somewhat vindicated over your well-intentioned critics and now feel free to do as you please!

I look forward to hearing your continued uploads if the procession continues.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission