2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D

Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
I do not know why, but yes I do, that I have to teach school over and over again when it comes to the basic mechanics associated with research. So, here goes again.

Under U.S. Copyright Law, "ANY" person may reproduce anything for personal educational purposes.

Just to clarify, Louis - that is absolutely false; under U.S. Copyright Law, there is absolutely no exemption whatsoever for what you call "personal educational purposes" except to the extent of copying "a small part" of a borrowed work, and never, for example, to copying an entire edition (which would obviously defeat the entire purpose of copyright) unless the library "has first determined, on the basis of a reasonable investigation, that a copy or phonorecord of the copyrighted work cannot be obtained at a fair price." Beyond that, portions of copyrighted works may also be copied in the context of possible fair use, but only if certain criteria are met. So, no, "ANY" person may not reproduce "anything" for personal use, educational or otherwise.

Granted that copyright law is often honored more in the breach than the observance, and there are likely billions of people who are not entirely guiltless of the odd infringement, could you at least please stop pretending that your assertion is actually true.

And additionally, these days, every major college music library allows any student to take an old album, and with their audio transfer equipment, make a flash drive version for you to take home and burn a CD.

Section 108 of the Copyright Law allows libraries to reproduce and distribute additional copies of an original item but only under some very specific circumstances, and prohibits anything that could be construed as the general distribution of such secondary copies (absent a written contract from the copyright owner specifically allowing it). The law, though, does allow libraries to avoid possible liability for this if they display a warning notice that the recipient of the copy may be subject to the copyright law, thus passing the buck for compliance to the user. You could, therefore, conceivably make a CD of a complete copyrighted album, but it wouldn't really be yours to keep past the lending period any more than it would be for a borrowed book.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by daro

I do not know why, but yes I do, that I have to teach school over and over again when it comes to the basic mechanics associated with research. So, here goes again.

Under U.S. Copyright Law, "ANY" person may reproduce anything for personal educational purposes.

Just to clarify, Louis - that is absolutely false; under U.S. Copyright Law, there is absolutely no exemption whatsoever for what you call "personal educational purposes" except to the extent of copying "a small part" of a borrowed work, and never, for example, to copying an entire edition (which would obviously defeat the entire purpose of copyright) unless the library "has first determined, on the basis of a reasonable investigation, that a copy or phonorecord of the copyrighted work cannot be obtained at a fair price." Beyond that, portions of copyrighted works may also be copied in the context of possible fair use, but only if certain criteria are met. So, no, "ANY" person may not reproduce "anything" for personal use, educational or otherwise.

Granted that copyright law is often honored more in the breach than the observance, and there are likely billions of people who are not entirely guiltless of the odd infringement, could you at least please stop pretending that your assertion is actually true.

And additionally, these days, every major college music library allows any student to take an old album, and with their audio transfer equipment, make a flash drive version for you to take home and burn a CD.

Section 108 of the Copyright Law allows libraries to reproduce and distribute additional copies of an original item but only under some very specific circumstances, and prohibits anything that could be construed as the general distribution of such secondary copies (absent a written contract from the copyright owner specifically allowing it). The law, though, does allow libraries to avoid possible liability for this if they display a warning notice that the recipient of the copy may be subject to the copyright law, thus passing the buck for compliance to the user. You could, therefore, conceivably make a CD of a complete copyrighted album, but it wouldn't really be yours to keep past the lending period any more than it would be for a borrowed book.

Your characterization of what I posted is 100% misleading, and then some.

I, nor no one who is serious about researching a particular piece, has any reason to be "AFRAID" of being put in handcuffs for violating the U.S. Copyright laws when it comes to reproducing a specific piece. Further, what is the ultimate goal here?

The OP's goal was to get material, assuming that he/she is not going to play the entire Chopin repertoire, from specific works.

Okay, find me a section of the U.S. Copyright Laws that says that they cannot do that for "educational purposes." Furthermore, get me any research librarian in the U.S. to state for the record that they do not have the legal right to do this!

D
D

Your characterization of what I posted is 100% misleading, and then some.

What you posted was, "Under U.S. Copyright Law, "ANY" person may reproduce anything for personal educational purposes." That's simply not true; there are very specific limitations on what can be copied. Obviously, some portion of a specific work is allowed, but if you're going to make public claims about Copyright Law, I think you need to be a little more precise, because misrepresentation of that law only makes it more difficult for copyright owners, e.g. composers, to maintain their rights.

I, nor no one who is serious about researching a particular piece, has any reason to be "AFRAID" of being put in handcuffs for violating the U.S. Copyright laws when it comes to reproducing a specific piece.

Who said you should be? It's really just a question of conscience.

The OP's goal was to get material, assuming that he/she is not going to play the entire Chopin repertoire, from specific works.

Okay, find me a section of the U.S. Copyright Laws that says that they cannot do that for "educational purposes.

It depends on the material. Chopin's Etude Op. 10, No.1 out the Paderewski edition might be fine, but the entire edition, or a substantial part of it, absolutely not (See Sec. 106 on a copyright owner's "Exclusive rights" and Sec. 108 on the rights of libraries and copying for "private study").

R
OP Offline
R
It's sad that some people on these forums resort to attacking others who are simply asking for feedback on a specific topic. Why not stick to the topic? So much has been said here in this thread that has little or nothing to do with my request. A little professional courtesy would be appreciated.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Some volumes of the Paderewski Edition are also available on IMSLP (not always complete volumes though):
http://imslp.org/wiki/Dzie%C5%82a_wszystkie_%28Chopin,_Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric%29

If you are lucky you might find a used set for sale online at a reasonable price (or also single volumes). I was very lucky. I bought 13 volumes in very good condition for just $5.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
The bottom line is this. If you have a good relationship, which most of you do not (and you should!), with a music school reference librarian, then you do not have a problem.

Libraries, especially these days, justify there mere existence based on the amount of traffic/students who visit their abode. Therefore, if you need a copy of anything, it is never a problem, "IN THE REAL WORLD."

I am done. And, my apologies for not using contractions.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I proffer a short addition.

As of late, I decided to memorize the Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto. I currently have the Schirmer and the Peters editions. And, I visited my local music store to order the Henle, but my usual longtime salesperson was off today.

So, what I am now going to do is to order the Henle through my library, and then decide whether or not to purchase this particular edition.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission