2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Hi! Does anyone know if it's possible to edit the preset chords sequences in the rhythm section of the ES7? So as to get the exact chords progression of the tunes I'm working on. I cant find exactly what I need there. One could suggest I should play or record the chords with my left hand but I'd like to practice my right hand without being disturbed. And I'm not good enough to record it without making any mistake. So basically, is it possible to edit / create new chords progression by choosing them from a list, or even by having them recognized if played on the keyboard one after the other - like one would do in Band in a box for instance?
Thanks!

S
S
Originally Posted by TubularBills
...is it possible to edit / create new chords progression by choosing them from a list, or even by having them recognized if played on the keyboard one after the other - like one would do in Band in a box for instance?

I believe the preset chord sequences are fixed and cannot be edited, but you can record a full backing accompaniment (with chord sequences of your choice, recognized by the ES7 in a manner similar to Band-In-A-Box) into the song recorder. Then, you can play back the recorded accompaniment as a backing track while you practice.

The steps for this are pretty well explained in the ES7 manual. Check out the sections headed Rhythm Section Basic Operation and Song Recorder, especially pages 37 and 50 (of the English-language version, that is.)

Cheers,

B.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, slowtraveler is correct.

The ES7's song recorder allows two tracks to be recorded separately, so record the first track with the rhythm section, changing chords and adding fill-ins etc. Then you play along with the left hand (or full keyboard) during playback.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
James,

I have a couple of questions and I'm unclear if they have been answered here. I am looking to use the ES7 as a controller (with another controller with Tonewheels, faders, etc). My questions are:

1) Is there a way to record the sounds of the ES7 directly into the computer via the USB, rather than switching over to analog and back again through the 1/4" cables? I understand I could use my onboard Piano samples if there also, but I would love to take advantage of the Kawai sound at it's best.

2)Do the triple sensors help the midi articulation on the DAW? I'm using Logic X, with Kontact, Omnisphere, and Trillian, if that adds any info for you.

I'm thinking that I can as a last resort import the sounds from the USB stick, and then fiddle around with sync settings, but I would like to avoid that if I could. Thanks in advance anyone if you've got any other workarounds.

Hello MrWhippie,

To answer your queries:

1. No, I'm afraid it is not possible to record the ES7's audio directly into your computer via USB. However, as you note, it is possible to record to a USB memory device, then copy the WAV/MP3 file onto your computer.

2. The triple sensor keyboard action will definitely help with articulation, especially in passages that have fast repeating notes. This is because the keyboard is able to send consecutive note-on information independently of the note-off information.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

ps. I was a big fan of your ice cream in my youth, by the way... wink

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello MrWhippie,
ps. I was a big fan of your ice cream in my youth, by the way... wink

James, he's MrWhipple - with an "L" - of toilet paper fame. Both Mr. Whipple and Mr. Whippie (Whippy) deal with soft, white stuff . . . and I hope I don't EVER confuse'em with each other!

Last edited by pwl; 02/12/14 12:42 AM.
Lol, I need to get my eyes tested - I misread that last 'l' as an 'i'!

Or perhaps that was the sub-conscious mind of my inner child?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
My inner child also tends to see things that aren't there. Usually to do with food ……. My adult mind can run it a close second though.

M
M
Thanks James.

I'm about to purchase, and I suppose I can import. I've been away from some of the more tech aspects of time stretching in recent years, due to kids and the like, but I suppose it will come back to me. Your answers are much appreciated, and I was on the fence with the Roland FP-7F, but I can't get over the feeling of playing a real piano that I felt and heard when I was playing the Kawai. Upon reflection, it seems the articulation will be more crucial when playing to a software instrument, so I'm glad you straightened that out. I'm stoked to see what it does with some of the picked string sounds.

As for MrWhippie, I had to google that. I'm from the northeast U.S., and we have Mr. Softee, which to my adult eyes seems to infer some sort of erectile dysfunction, so you can imagine where I went with your Ice Cream Man. Never mind why I chose some curmudgeonly storekeeper who is closeted in his fetish for soft toilet tissue. I've never personally been closeted about comfort in my own life. In fact I'm wearing a Snuggie right now, at the office. Is that wrong? TMI?

Well, if you'll excuse me, I've a meeting in the conference room to get to...something about no more casual Wednesdays, I think.

W
W
Hi,

i'm considering the purchase of a Bose L1 compact system to use as monitor and maybe some day for stage perfomance. Now the bose system is mono and I read here an there that misxing a stero signal to a mono signal can have undesirable side effects. Now the ES7 appears to also have a mono output. How well would that work with a mono system like a Bose L1? Anubody hare who has experiance in this regards or can give me good advice?

thanks,

Wouter;

Wouter D'hoye, according to the Bose L1 product page it accepts a stereo input.

Kind regards,
James
x

W
W
Hi,

true. One can use a stereo signal as input. But the output of the system is mono so it appears. At least that's what i've found so far on other forums...

Wouter.

M
M
James,

Just an update. I decided to go with the Kawai VPC-1 controller. I have to say I have played the ES7 and really enjoyed the sound and feel of it, but was unable to find a local place to play the VPC. It's enroute, but this entire search has made me a fan of Kawai instruments in general. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I had begun with my mind set on the FP-7f, so the journey has been full of surprises. I haven't gigged very frequently in recent years, so I decided to favor the studio. For the times I'll need to haul it along, I can only blame myself. (VPC-1 65 lbs- ES7 49lbs).

Whipple

Thanks for the update MrWhipple!

Perhaps you could return to post some shots of your VPC1 setup once you receive it?

Cheers,
James
x

M
M
James,

Haven't picked new monitors yet, need something a little smaller than the old Yamaha NS10Ms in this setup. I use this room to pay the bills as well. I'm using Logic X with some Kontact Pianos as well as Pianoteq, which I can't say I love. I love a murky piano for songwriting. I used to use an old east west sample that doesn't live up to this keyboards potential. I've played some old mournful Wurlitzers, but haven't found a sampled version to match. The piano feel is great, and I've worn myself out playing it. I've used it on a number of other instruments, and I feel I can really play around with the articulation on the plucked sounds with confidence, due to the great response of the keys. I bought a yoga mat and trimmed off a strip and that holds everything in place nicely.

Cheers,
Whipple
Not sure if this is actually showing up, all I see is a link. [img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/25230413@N05/12977596065/[/img]

Last edited by MrWhipple; 03/06/14 06:12 PM.
Looks like a cool setup - thanks for posting the pic!

James
x

K
K
I'm new here and new to digital pianos, and the es7 is my first smile

Forgive me if this is a stupid question coming from someone who should probably be able to figure it out for himself, but how do you all listen to mp3s on the es7. Mp3s straight from your computer, on a USB drive? It's detecting the USB, but no matter what, it can't seem to detect any mp3s. It doesn't even detect mp3s I recorded through the es7! Please help e, because it sounds like you all have it working.

kawainonob, welcome to the forum.

I don't have an ES7 in front of me, however playing back MP3/WAV files from USB should be relatively straight forward. Please try the following:

1. Copy some MP3 files to a USB memory stick.
2. Plug the USB stick into the ES7.
3. Press the [PLAY/STOP] button on the right side of the ES7's panel.
[A list of the files stored on the USB should be shown in the display]
4. Press the VALUE UP/DOWN buttons to move the selection cursor over the MP3 file you wish to play.
5. Press the [PLAY/STOP] button.

The selected MP3 file should start to playback.

I hope this helps. For more information, please refer to page 54 of the ES7 owner's manual.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
S
Hiya, just a quick note from a newbie to the forums smile Proud owner of ES-7, bought after much comparison with other DP's I could find to try, including the MP6 and 10. Actually preferred the feel of the ES-7, to play. Bought to replace a fatar studio 90 that I'd had from new, some 15 years ago, and a chalk-cheese upgrade. Internal sounds better than expected, although I also use it running kontakt berlin grand, with a softer response curve helping dynamics for the way I play. Win7 64 PC, works perfectly as MIDI controller, as far as it goes. VPC not out when I bought it, so may have considered that then, but find I actually like having the speakers, not having to boot everything up to just play for a bit. Triple pedal may be an option at some point, although not sure if I can use it without the stand - have keyboard on desk, not interested in HM stand as difficult to integrate with everything else :), but pedals on floor are useful.
General thoughts - very positive, lovely feel to keyboard, and on-board sounds decent. Can hear some ringing on resonances, maybe looping on higher frequencies?, but not bad sounding. Wish list - would be nice if the sequencer buttons gave out MMC, so I could control sequencer from it. Just my tuppence worth, and saying hello to the forum.

K
K
Sorry for the massive delay in response. Yes! It worked! Thank you kawai James.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission