2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Good morning folks,

I'm delighted to announce that the VPC Editor software is now available for Mac OS X.

This software allows Mac users to adjust touch curves, velocity offsets, and other MIDI settings stored to the VPC1's internal memories. Here are some screenshots:

Touch Curve selection/organisation:
[Linked Image]

Touch Curve editing:
[Linked Image]

Velocity Offset editing:
[Linked Image]

MIDI settings/routing:
[Linked Image]

For more information and to download the editor software, please visit the Kawai VPC website at www.kawaivpc.com.

On behalf of everyone at Kawai, may I thank all those who have selected the VPC1 as their piano controller of choice, and a special thank you to Mac users who have remained patient during the editor's development.

If you have any queries regarding the VPC1 or the VPC Editor software, please feel free to raise them in this thread.

Kind regards,
James
x

ps. This software was actually uploaded yesterday (April 1st), however I opted to wait 24 hours before posting the announcement to ensure it was not misinterpreted as an April Fools' joke. wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Kawai James for the info. It would seem Kawai states the driver requires OS X 10.8+. I guess in that case the VPC is out for me, as I would need to add another $1,200 for a new Mac to operate the VPC. It's a shame Kawai couldn't make it compatible to Snow Leopard or even Lion. Yeah I know, my Mac is 3-years old and ancient according the genius at the Apple store, but it doesn't make sense to me to replace a perfectly good laptop every other year.

Do you really need the editor? Sure, it has velocity presets for Ivory, Galaxy, and Pianoteq. But those software pianos have their own velocity curve adjustments. So if you can't use the VPC tool on your version of Mac, it's not a dead loss.

The VPC velocity editor seems to follow the highly useful Pianoteq model rather than the clumsier ones in Ivory and Galaxy. Kudos, Kawai.

It's too bad they didn't put in a sustain pedal adjustment curve.

OP Online Content
4evrBeginR, thank you for raising this point.

The following information has been added to the Q&A page of the VPC website.

My Mac is running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) - does this mean I cannot use the VPC Editor software?
The officially supported requirements for the VPC Editor under Mac OS are OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and newer.
It is still possible to run the 'VPCEditor.app' application under the 64-bit variants of OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and OS X 10.7 (Lion), however these platforms are not officially supported by Kawai.

So, the VPC Editor will work under OS X 10.6/10.7 (64-bit), however we can only provide official support to users running OS X 10.8.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Wow that's great news for April 2!
Can't wait to try the software (although I'm still on 10.6...).

Thanks for taking care of us Mac-ists.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's too bad they didn't put in a sustain pedal adjustment curve.

wink

M
M
Yay! Congrats all you Mac+VPC users! smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Awesome! thumb

I will plan to upgrade OS X at some point but just not quite yet. This is good to know. Back on check list.

I think the custom curves are critical for this product for me as I find fiddling with the curves within the software packages less than satisfactory.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That has been one of the more vocal gripes against the VPC so nice that Kawai has listened and delivered!

I haven't looked at the editing software myself (PC) and don't really feel the need to. I trust the engineers have developed the velocity curves to their full potential. For me to start messing with it would probably just make it worse - or send me down rabbit holes of tweaking.

At least its there for those who like to do that kind of thing.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
OP Online Content
Yes, we're glad to have finally resolved one of the main criticisms of the VPC1.

Regarding this point, however:

Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
I think the custom curves are critical for this product for me as I find fiddling with the curves within the software packages less than satisfactory.

It's perhaps worth noting that the VPC1 has always been compatible with Macs, and that selecting the built-in approved touch curves is possible by holding the power button and pressing one of the top-most five black keys.

However, now Mac users also have the ability to tailor these curves, create brand new curves, and adjust other settings that were previously only accessible using a Windows PC.

Cheers,
James
x

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Will it work with my CA ...( I know - nope , no chance , never)

...or the mp11 ? (more chance perhaps in an update ?)

Great to finally have the editor. Saves you from using bootcamp or other solutions. Good work.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by JFP
Will it work with my CA ...

No

Originally Posted by JFP
...or the mp11 ?

Unlikely, but never say never.

Originally Posted by JFP
Great to finally have the editor. Saves you from using bootcamp or other solutions. Good work.

Thanks! wink

I'm glad we were finally able to address one of the few negative points about the VPC1.

Cheers,
James
x

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I'd like to thank Kawai for the software.
I'll download it this weekend.
I just got finished with the week from "heck" at work. Darn weather. It's worst when it's right at freezing 32f/0c. Three days of it. Over and over. Would have been much better if it were colder. Wouldn't be slippery icy. Don't ever want another week like this again. Yes, I have to drive in that stuff all day long. Doh!

I might try again and play with the light curve. Increase it a little lighter. smile
Nobody has disagreed with me. I keep thinking real pianos are touchier.

BTW: James? Now that those R&D boys are free from this project. How about helping on that Godzilla Metronome? Sorry about the two boys who got hurt in the fire breathing accident. I need that fire breathing to light my cigars when playing. smile

EDIT: Seriously thank you. Without goofing up the curves myself. I just chose the light curve. My keys now feel very much more like my old M8000. Which I loved. Using tons of touch again in my playing. I like this curve better than the Ivory curve. Using it on Ivory. I feel I have a better connection with my VPC now.

Last edited by rnaple; 04/05/14 10:38 PM. Reason: Idiot rambling.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I'm posting again just to bring this to the top. Have a question for you all who have this.

When you set the velocity curve to light. Is it simply psychological? I know the response is touchier. I keep playing this today and the more I play the more I can swear the keys aren't as "sluggish" as they were.
It would make sense though. I'm hitting the keys lighter. (Otherwise I'd be playing like a wounded water buffalo in heat.) When hitting them lighter. I'm quicker. They feel quicker.
Also in light curve. I'm loving having more feel of the weights on the keys. That actual "camber" action of the weights and gravity. I guess I'm just being more sensitive to the feel with the light touch.
In short. I love the light curve with Ivory II.

EDIT: I know it is different. But noticing there is no change in the color of the on button light with either the Light or Heavy setting. Only color change for the basic 5 that are changeable with the on button and keys. Can go to Light or Heavy on any of those 5. Same exact color shows on the little "on" button in the software. But always highlights which one I clicked on also. So I'm running with orange light and "light" highlighted. Can do this with any of the 5 and "light" or "heavy".

Last edited by rnaple; 04/07/14 09:33 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission