2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hi to all piano lovers,

I am thinking of getting a new piano for the coming X'mas present. I only have the budget for Steinway model V125. After playing the V125 and SK3 I love both the tone and touch very much. However the Shigeru Kawai SK3 will help me save up to US$10,375. In term of reputation Steinway definitely is most prestigious in the world. Which one should I consider. Please give me sugestions.

Felix
Thanks

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Felix:
In term of reputation Steinway definitely is most prestigious in the world.
This is not necessarily the case for their verticals, though. When you evaluate the Steinway, forget for a moment the name on the fallboard and really pay attention to the actual piano, including what you like and don't like. The Shigeru vertical might just "out-Steinway" the Steinway vertical.

Ryan

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In the first place, Steinway is not the most prestigious name in the world. In the second place, what do you want in a piano, prestige or an instrument that has a sound and feel you like?

I love S&S grands, but I have yet to play a Steinway vertical that I like, and that would rationalize the price tag. Two verticals I've played recently that I like: 1)Schulze Pollman 50", and 2) Mason and Hamlin - don't remember the model #, but it is also about 50". There is also a Bechstein vertical that people say has a great sound, but I have yet to try it.

Aside from that, there is a lot of discussion here about verticals, including Asian names, if you want to do a search (see button at top right of screen).

Good luck.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm confused. The Shigeru Kawai SK3 is a 6'1" Grand Piano. The Steinway V125 is not sold in the US, but I presume it's equivalent to a model K studio upright (I'm assuming the V stands for vertical, and the 125 stands for the centimeter).

If this is the case, and you can get a Shigeru Kawai grand for less than a Steinway Vertical, definitely get the SK3!!!

However, if the V125 is actually a Steinway grand piano (this seems more likely considering the price difference) you'll get every penny's worth by going the extra for the Steinway.

Could you please clarify a little more on your situation?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Steinway V-125 http://www.hanlet.com/v125fr.htm

Good point about the Kawai being a grand piano, I didn't even notice that.

Ryan

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The Steinway V (49") is my favorite of their uprights. The action, being smaller, closer to the keys, is more firm than the K. I haven't had experience with the Hamburg version, though.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sorry... have to remove this post... meant to send to another member as a private message. How does one delete one's own post???

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Ryan, after I posted, I noticed that it was referred to as an upright in the title, but it still makes little sense to me.

I know that prices vary greatly in Singapore from the US, but in the US, the Steinway K52 sells for $10,000 TO $14,000 less than an SK3, from what Felix is saying, in Singapore the V125 is over $11,000 more than the SK3. As I said, I knew prices for Steinways were substantially higher in asia, but wow!

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I think the original postor might or might not have got the Kawai model wrong. The list price (before haggling) for the 6' grand SK3 is around US$29K, but I have seen it advertised for about US$21K during sales. I do not know the prices for the upright Steinways, but the Hamburg B is listed for US$87K.

The Kawai dealer is the same as the Steinway dealer, but their mark-up on the Steinways is much higher than on the Kawai. People on this forum have been very incredulous in the past when I mention you can get the Shigerus for a very low price, but when the locals are familiar only with Yamaha, one has to work very hard to make Kawai as competetive.

The same dealer is offering the Bechstein 118 (or is it 116?) for US$11.5K. This was in a newspaper advertisement only a couple of weeks ago.

If indeed one is comparing a Steinway upright with a Kawai grand, go for the grand, I say! The Steinways are just not worth the money at these levels.

Even more than their grands, the Hamburg version of Steinwway uprights - which are the pianos sold in Singapore - is a completely different kettle of fish than their American counterparts.

Just try to sell this two pedals beaut in America and everybody thinks "something's missin"

I just got the same calibre -two pedals - Sauter uprights in today and they seem to almost blow every grand I got out of my own showroom.

"Bad behaviour"...one might say in America....

...."NORMAL"...in Europe!

So:

Simply go for the 'better' [ :rolleyes: ] piano!!

The way YOU are willing to afford it!!

norbert

Y
Y
No Steinway is the most PRESTIGIOUS brand in he world !

But Shigeru kawai is also good...I think definitely if you like S&S and think you can improve your skills take the S&S !!

A kawai or yamaha will not remain as good as it were in a few years !!!

K
K
Felix:

Tried the SK2, SK3 and V125 at the local dealer here... The SK2 and SK3 blew away the V125 and compared very favourably against the Steinway Model S (Hamburg), selling for two and a half times the price (the Steinway prices are ridiculous here). Only when I reached the Model M (Hamburg) did the Steinway start to come into its own.

Having said that, I tried the SK2 in two different branches of the same shop: was disappointed the first time, and really liked it the second time. The first was simply not tuned or prepared well. So, going with a dealer you can trust is worth an awful lot as well.

Ever imagined a world without hypothetical situations?
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Amazing to see a three year old thread being resurrected. But anyway, no doubts about which would be my choice: SK-3 anytime.

Sauter 185 Delta with accelerated action and burl walnut fallboard

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission