2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 320 of 540 1 2 318 319 320 321 322 539 540
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@earlofmar and @casinitaly. Made my first recordings yesterday and it was far easier then I expected! I'll start working on a piece I want to record for PW.
@SwissMiss A lightbulb moment must feel good!
@Plowboy what's your goal and why didn't you achieve it? wink

Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I was able to practice yesterday and the day before yesterday in Brighton. I cannot disclose the location but here's the pic. I was able to obtain permission to use the piano before I left home. The piano is an old Bluthner (spelling?) but it's amazingly in tune. Apart from occasional fear of ghosts I'm enjoying practice in this old place.

[Linked Image]

I posted my nocturne to the Pianist Corner chopin nocturne / waltz e-cital. I'm amazed how kind those comments were. I did not like the one prepared a couple of weeks ago and wound up recording again 6 hours before the flight in between laundry and packing. That's why I look awful. If you kindly decide to listen to mine, please just listen to it without looking.

Oh my.... shocked I am going to have to go hunting! even with the travel time that would be totally worth it!

Surprised they let you use it, well done there!

In all seriousness though, I'll have to ask next time I visit smile nice place that... been there a few times myself with my grandfather viewing the architecture, so fully familiar with the location.

Nice isn't it?

Last edited by UKIkarus; 03/28/14 06:56 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
UKIkarus, yes indeed it was very nice. Such a priviledge to use the piano. It was very cold inside but was not so bad with jacket on. This building could be a national treasure or state landmark if it were located in Phoenix.

For anyone who would like to do the same. I caution against casual approach and recommend to get in touch with the office of churches / municipal offices / hotels before your trip. You will probably be asked supply something to validate your identity and purpose of the trip for security reasons. In my case I requested senior management of my company to vouch for my identity. If it is a church, you will be asked to make donations. I gave 100GBP for the construction of the bathrooms since I happy to support the worthy cause.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano

@Plowboy what's your goal and why didn't you achieve it? wink

I will never achieve it. It's an endless journey. Every few months there is something out of the ordinary happen, but mostly it's plodding along one plateau after another, with small rises between plateaus.

The change is imperceptible. Once in a while I go back to the first piece of music I learned, a little eight bar piece by Turk. It took me a month just to get the notes down, much less play it with some sort of fluency. Now it is ridiculously easy, similar pieces by Turk are now even too easy for sight reading practice.

That's an achievement, I suppose. That's why I like reading this thread. Everyone is doing so well.

Gary
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I had a true lightbulb moment after my lesson yesterday. My teacher is still hammering on me to practice very slowly, dropping into each key, with all non-playing fingers relaxed. After two and one half years of being told to do that, I finally figured out the point she has been trying to get across. It is not just about dropping the weight into the key. It is about transferring the weight from one finger to the next. The result is a smooth, even legato, and a balanced hand. Thumb passes in runs became much smoother when I could feel the preceding 3 or 4 taking the weight and passing it to the thumb. I feel like I just found the answer to what has been holding my technique back. So practicing slowly was not enough. It needed to be slowly AND with every finger working properly.

SwissMS, your light bulb has cast its glow all the way across the Atlantic!!!!

I have worked very hard for a long time on the similar issues.... whether it was on fast scales or long fast runs such as in the first movement of Mozart 545 I'm working on. For a while now I've been able to do these at speed, but was always puzzled by a certain level of something being wrong....tension or something else was still there making things a little uneven and causing breakdowns under pressure. This, despite many, many hours of slow practice. Your aha moment really hit home and this morning I applied it with a wonderful new feeling of progress. I could feel exactly what you have described... how focusing on the weight transfer from finger to finger kept everything in balance. Only time will tell, but I'm hopeful this is exactly the little thing that has held me back too, and that those initial feelings are confirmed in future sessions. I can't wait to talk to my teacher about it next week.

THANK YOU SO MUCH grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I had a true lightbulb moment after my lesson yesterday. My teacher is still hammering on me to practice very slowly, dropping into each key, with all non-playing fingers relaxed. After two and one half years of being told to do that, I finally figured out the point she has been trying to get across. It is not just about dropping the weight into the key. It is about transferring the weight from one finger to the next. The result is a smooth, even legato, and a balanced hand. Thumb passes in runs became much smoother when I could feel the preceding 3 or 4 taking the weight and passing it to the thumb. I feel like I just found the answer to what has been holding my technique back. So practicing slowly was not enough. It needed to be slowly AND with every finger working properly.

SwissMS, your light bulb has cast its glow all the way across the Atlantic!!!!

I have worked very hard for a long time on the similar issues.... whether it was on fast scales or long fast runs such as in the first movement of Mozart 545 I'm working on. For a while now I've been able to do these at speed, but was always puzzled by a certain level of something being wrong....tension or something else was still there making things a little uneven and causing breakdowns under pressure. This, despite many, many hours of slow practice. Your aha moment really hit home and this morning I applied it with a wonderful new feeling of progress. I could feel exactly what you have described... how focusing on the weight transfer from finger to finger kept everything in balance. Only time will tell, but I'm hopeful this is exactly the little thing that has held me back too, and that those initial feelings are confirmed in future sessions. I can't wait to talk to my teacher about it next week.

THANK YOU SO MUCH grin

I am glad it worked for you! I have the same "I can't wait to talk to my teacher about it feeling". I suspect that after trying to get the concept through to me for so long she will have a Hallelujah moment!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
^ This place is so great smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
L
L
My achievement was small but significant for me: joining the MOYD thread and following through. I've practiced every day for nearly two weeks, and I haven't had a stretch like that since I started lessons nearly two years ago. Not surprisingly, the results have followed, even though I'm fitting in only 10-20 minutes a day for the most part.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Farmgirl, I enjoyed the pictures of the piano at the old church. I'm sure the memories of the experience are well worth the donation. As for spirits, I tend to get a long well with them, though I don't talk to them.

SwissMs, sounds like a real break through.

Lizcat, little by little is how many of us progress. Sometimes my time is limited, though this time of year, I aim for an hour a day, when my body cooperates.

Week 107: I revisit some old pieces. After focusing on the songwriting Coursera and then the recent hand discomfort, most are in various states of neglect. Some are near gone. I watch some of the Leonard Bernstein six part music series lectures from the 1970s at Harvard, The Unanswered Question. For the curious, Youtube link to Part One about 90 minutes, 15 hours total for the series.

I continue to work on my new piece, the working title is Pixie Dust. I so enjoy getting lost in the music, even if it is relative simple music.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
UKIkarus, If it is a church, you will be asked to make donations. I gave 100GBP for the construction of the bathrooms since I happy to support the worthy cause.

You were duped FarmGirl, when I left Britain thirty odd years ago they already had bathrooms lol

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
I got to grade 1 when I was 13/14 nearly 25 years ago and stopped shortly after mostly due to circumstances outside my control.
I've wanted to go back for years now and finally did last October.

Yesterday I sat my ABRSM grade 2 exam :-D

I was fine for the first couple of minutes but then I started to get really nervous and I don't know why. I think I did well enough for a pass but I keep thinking "what if I did worse than I thought?"
Nothing I can do about it now but looking forward to getting the results.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good for you, Bozzo, for sitting the exam and for making it back to the piano. Performing in front of others gives many of us a real case of the jitters, although it does get better the more you do it.

Oh, and welcome to the AOTW thread....Keep us updated on your progress. I'll jump the gun a bit and congratulate your passing.

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations for braving the exam, Bozzo. It is certainly intimidating as an adult! I think the examiners taking nervousness into account in their grading. I am sure you did well enough to pass.

Last edited by SwissMS; 03/30/14 10:50 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was able to practice yesterday and the day before yesterday in Brighton. I cannot disclose the location but here's the pic. I was able to obtain permission to use the piano before I left home. The piano is an old Bluthner (spelling?) but it's amazingly in tune. Apart from occasional fear of ghosts I'm enjoying practice in this old place.

What a neat experience! Thanks for telling us about it.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Farmgirl, the setting of your practice sessions in the UK is really great! Definitely something to remember!

My AOTW is not mine but my teacher's... a change of fingering she suggested last Tuesday is working beautifully. I was struggling with that trill without any improvement, and now I'm confident I can play the piece!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi I am back to US (my plane made it - which is an achievement itself to celebrate!). I mostly practiced my etude today. It's coming but Fugue wasn't. I am still jet rag. It makes me very sleepy. I have to pick up Schubert and Rach where I left off months ago (sigh). I think I will focus on Schubert and Chopin etude for my next recital in May. I now know the fugue will take much longer.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
My AOTW: Memorizing the piece which I was meant to learn (not to memorize, just learn how to play from the music) this week. I don't know how I did it, it just happened. Started to play this morning and didn't have to look at the music.

Last edited by wimpiano; 03/31/14 05:57 AM.
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Dejavue! We got us another winter storm just like back in October. It's shaping up exactly the same way as the Oct. storm did. Everyone shutting down. No travel advisory from DOT. Supposed to do nothing but get worse throughout the day. I"m not running today. .... Dejavue!

On the good side. Appreciating my piano teacher. Told me I'm like a juggler who should only be juggling two balls. I'm keep trying to juggle four. I got no business trying to do that. He appreciates my effort. But I got to cut back. Get the basics down.

Sounds like that was a great experience, Farmgirl. The piano in the church. Congrats.

Congrats wimpiano.... Interesting how we can memorize something by not trying so hard.

Good for ya Tourquenale... Interesting how they can show us fingering. Then we sit there and wonder why we didn't try it in the first place?

Oh Bozzo.... Am sure you passed. I agree they probably take nervousness into account. Especially with adults.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@rnaple, thanks.
We have the opposite here: the warmest March literally ever. 22 degrees Celsius (72 Fahrenheit) whereas it's supposed to be just above freezing.

My teacher always asks me to play slower and somehow that's very hard.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Bozzo - congrats on the exam! That's such a big challenge to take on - good for you!

Giacomo congrats on sharing SwissMs "Ah ha" moment experience! I'm delighted for you!

Torquenale - how satisfying to get that trill under control!

FarmGirl- welcome home and I hope you get over your jet lag quickly!

Wimpiano- good work on the memorizing --and without even trying! Excellent!

rmaple - my condolences on the weather. It was a mild winter for us and spring is in full bloom right now - temps up to 20Celcius smile
Iknow how hard it is to slow down and take it down an notch - but it will pay off....

Which brings me to my ATOW--- I'm looking forward to my lesson because this week I really did SLOW DOWN. I really crawled along on my study pieces and I can see significant improvements. I'm so pleased I was finally able to truly slow down enough to really (I hope really and truly without backsliding) get a handle on what it means to SLOW DOWN.
(is 54 on the metromone slow for a quarternote..yup.... I think it is ...:)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 320 of 540 1 2 318 319 320 321 322 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission