2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
It's a long time since I've shared on here - have been in a strange place (family stuff) - have 'popped in' from time to time to read some posts. I'm really struggling with 'He's Got the Whole World' (No 81). My teacher said to keep a steady beat (1-2-3-4) with my left hand on the chords while I play the 'tune' (?) with my right hand - and I can see when I look at the videos that are available that clearly how to do it. However, I'm finding this is driving me crazy. I can't seem to get a steady beat with my left hand and stil accommodate melody with the right hand. How have others found this? Wd really appreciate some feedback - thanks.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I don't remember this particular song, but you might want to take it VERY slowly, repeating just one or two measures at a super slow, steady pace until you can hear the left hand/right hand interweaving clearly and it just clicks. It works!

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for yr suggestion - I'm going to try that - I think the key must be 'VERY slowly' - it's so tempting to want to 'go faster' than you're capable of at a certain point. It's comforting to know 'It works'! I remember having a similar problem with an earlier piece - and at some point it just all seemed to come together. So far it's not happening with this one - but trying to 'believe' that it will. Thanks again.

This appears to be rather common, take it slow, keep at it and before you know it it'll just fall into place, whatever is most comfortable for you.

I often find that if I struggle with something and leave it for a day or 2 to 'Sleep on it' things suddenly become easier next time round, but that's just me smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks UKIkarus - that's what I need to keep hearing and reminding myself - even though I had that same experience with one of the earlier pieces, possibly Blow the Man Down, when it did just fall into place - eventually! - I seem to be being 'my own worst enemy' at the moment, trying to convince myself that 'this one is different - you'll never get that!', when experience - not just with music - should remind me that's not true! Thanks again.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Another tip, this one can (should?) be done away from the piano. Tap the rhythms out, no notes, just rhythm. Separating out rhythm from notes can help you lock in the feel of the pulse and then worry about adding the notes back on later.

And the one I hate, but if I get it right it works - count along too.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Andy - this is driving me mad - I think getting away from the piano might be a good idea - and just tap it out!!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hey angelsong,

The tape below is pretty much how I play it ... it's an ear thing for me to decide whether the chuck chases the melody or the melody chases the chuck.

I would take one phrase (like the second "He's got the whole world, in His hands") and just focus on that phrase over and over with one finger RH melody along with the LH boom chucks until you can move that melody around the steady LH beat the way you want it any particular moment. This is a great tune for getting better at playing on and off the beat, but take it slow at first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PobLqwIs5Ss

Book it, it'll be a walk in the park sooner than you think.

Last edited by Rerun; 03/26/14 08:24 AM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

Remember, you can always pop it aside for a while and try something else to ease the madness if it gets bad, just try not to let yourself forget though. (I guess that depends more on the person but I re-pick things up fairly quickly)

Just like most tasks in life, there is a point where you can do it "too much", this is especially true for practicing.
(that said don't use it as an excuse laugh )

Good luck smile

Last edited by UKIkarus; 03/26/14 08:27 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Rerun for your comments and suggestions. The video is lovely - couldn't take my eyes off those beautiful hands! I'm going to do as you and others have suggested and focus on one phrase. Thanks again.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks again - and I think you're probably right - I'm going to put it aside for today (that's the plan anyway!) and return to it tomorrow - or later this evening - I think this is definitely a case of doing it too much!! I'm always afraid that I'll find that I can't return - that the enthusiasm will just evaporate, but I don't feel that's going to happen. It's great having the encouragement of this forum - I'm sure that's made such a difference. Thanks again.

S
S
You may want to try just practicing the right hand melody while counting the beat. Do this out loud to start, then in your head as you start to get it, then when you feel you got it, add the left hand.

Syncopated notes are tricky because the come in on an off-beat. Let's say you are in 4/4 time. In order to count the off-beat when the syncopated note comes in, try counting in 1/8 notes (1 and 2 and 3 and...) or 1/16 notes (1 e + a, 2 e + a...). That way you get a count when the syncopated note comes in.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Silver Keys - I'm keeping away from the piano this evening and I'm going to practise what you and others suggested. Being able to come on here and get help and support is so helpful. Thanks again.

A
OP Offline
A
Thank you!! Thank you! Thank you!! for all your helpful comments and support! I was going to stay away from the piano this evening and go back tomorrow - but having sat on the settee 'tap, tap, tapping' the part of 'He's Got the Whole World....' that was holding me back - I decided to have ONE MORE GO on the piano. Nothing seemed to have changed - and then out of the blue - IT JUST FELL INTO PLACE (more or less). Need to do a lot more practice - but it has lifted my mood - or perhaps something has already shifted within us which 'allows' us to get it right. Who knows!! My faith has been restored! Thanks again - feel very grateful for this site.

Last edited by angelsong; 03/26/14 04:52 PM.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by angelsong
It's a long time since I've shared on here - have been in a strange place (family stuff) - have 'popped in' from time to time to read some posts. I'm really struggling with 'He's Got the Whole World' (No 81). My teacher said to keep a steady beat (1-2-3-4) with my left hand on the chords while I play the 'tune' (?) with my right hand - and I can see when I look at the videos that are available that clearly how to do it. However, I'm finding this is driving me crazy. I can't seem to get a steady beat with my left hand and stil accommodate melody with the right hand. How have others found this? Wd really appreciate some feedback - thanks.

FWIW (and PMFJI) --

If all else fails:

. . . Slow the tempo _way_ down;

. . . Set a metronome so that it clicks on _every_ eighth-note
. . . (if the syncopated notes are on eighth-note counts)

. . . . . that is, you want a click for every note in the LH,
. . . . . and a click for every note in the RH. So the
. . . . . metronome ticks on both the "beats" (1,2,3,4) and on
. . . . . the "&" ( 1 & 2 & 4 & )

. . . Start playing the LH (the "even" or "on-the-beat" part);

. . . When that's solid, start adding the RH notes.

The ticking of the metronome may drive you crazy, but it will keep your rhythm "honest".

You can _slowly_ increase the tempo, once you have both hands working together _very slowly_. Eventually, you should be able to "hear" the rhythm, and give up the metronome.

. CHarles

PS -- If I were playing "He's Got the Whole World", I'd put the LH chords (or bass line) on beats 2 and 4, rather than on beats 1 and 3. That might also be throwing you off, since for most simple music, the LH strikes on 1 and 3. So you get habituated to playing the LH chords on the "strong" beats.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for your suggestion. Although I'd just managed to play this before your post, it's certainly provides more reinforcement of how important it is to slow right down to allow oneself time to play the rhythm correctly and to 'hear' it. Getting help and advice on here is comforting as well as helpful. Thanks again.

Glad you got it sussed smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks!

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
It's a frustrating struggle, it feels impossible, and then it clicks and seems easy.

One way to get it is called "dropping notes."

Start playing a short phrase that can easily wrap around. It might be two or four bars, or it might start on beat three, etc., but you have to be able to loop back to the beginning without stopping.

Play that phrase continously with the left hand, with a metronome, and not too slowly.

Now each time you come around, play only one note with the right hand. When that's comfortable and your timing is solid, add another note with the right hand. Keep looping until that is working well. Add another. Especially with syncopation it is helpful to have a metronome with a distinctive click on beat 1, because it's easy to get a beat off on this and not know it.

When you get all the right hand notes added, you are not done.

Now you start looping with the right hand, and adding the left hand one note at a time.

When you complete that, you've mastered that phrase, and probably the also the skill of playing different rhythms in two hands.

gotta go practice
A
OP Offline
A
That sounds interesting and I may try that. At the moment I feel quite 'done in' - think I've probably overdone it on 'He's got the whole world...' - and despite the feeling that I'd 'got it', there's still a way to go. Really appreciate this site though - the support is tremendous. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission