2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
In particular, G and A which are the tightest. (G is tightest of all) I`d be most interested in the results for comparison . . .Keys are tapered of course. And rounded off at the top.

Don`t I ask awkward questions? grin

Here we go. Joe . . .

GHS . . . .

D 16 and 18mm

A 15.5 and 17.25

G 15 and 16.75 . . .

Last edited by peterws; 03/25/14 05:46 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

Yeah! On all of my keyboards G and A are white! Very little distance between them, too eek

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
If you have big finger, this subject was also mentioned here : https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2122208/Re:_Between_black_keys.html#Post2122208 with some measurement comparing a P155 to a CA65 smile

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Jean . . appreciate!

I just looked at that posting. The Kawai has thinner black keys. Considerably thinner. . . James, you`re backing the right horse . . .

Last edited by peterws; 03/25/14 08:08 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

Awkward? I suppose so.
Pointless? Absolutely.

There must be something on the telly to distract you from this rubbish Peter!

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I got the info I wanted. My next piano will be a Kawai . . . Not so pointless really.

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This has been covered here before, and it's known that the keys on the Yamaha YPG/DGX series are narrower than standard.

http://www.randyhoexter.com/?p=520

But is there a real standard for piano or just some generally accepted parameters? The American Guild of Organists and their equivalents in other countries actually publish specifications for organ components. When someone buys a component that meets AGO specifications they know exactly what they're getting.

http://www.savetheorgan.org/kbase/ago_specs/agoconsole.pdf

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
The keys on the hammer action DGXs and YPGs are "standard" octaves and 150mm length. It`s just the black keys are somewhat fatter than some others.. . .and Kawais are thinner. , . eh bien . .

"[Linked Image]"
M
M

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
This could be interesting:
http://www.quadibloc.com/other/cnv05.htm

Wow, that's some serious science, no kidding!

I wonder though, how much of that is still valid in light of numerically controlled CNC machines that have 'infinite' resolution ('infinite' for all practical purposes)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Peterws, I don't have particularly fat fingers, but I do wish that they were longer. I can actually fit my thumb in between the Kawai black keys...

That and the fact that the keys are so long that it's just as easy to press them at the start or at the end definitely made it for me. As well as other features, of course, but having keys that can simply be played without extra funny movements or effort is quite important.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Personally I want a keyboard that replicates an acoustic in design and realisation as closely as possible although I would like to try a keyboard where a low narrow ridge moulded into the key runs along the top centre of all the black notes.

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Personally I want a keyboard that replicates an acoustic in design and realisation as closely as possible although I would like to try a keyboard where a low narrow ridge moulded into the key runs along the top centre of all the black notes.

Would the ridge be to stop the finger slipping off? As for the keyboard, mine, being GHS means ANYTHING else I play is going to be better and playable. That includes acoustics . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
... As for the keyboard, mine, being GHS means ANYTHING else I play is going to be better and playable. That includes acoustics . . . .

I like GHS, I don't have the usual 'nose up on GHS' opinion. If it had somewhat longer keys (somewhat easier chords with thumb on black key) I wouldn't mind at all having GHS as my main DP action eek

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
My thoughts too, mainly or I wouldn`t have bought into this. It is light as well, which I like; but I have a problem on some pieces because of the black keys and my fingers. The Kawais do much better keys, but their instruments weren`t what I wanted at this time.

"[Linked Image]"
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
"I'm playing all the right notes — but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

Speaking of Eric Morecambe, I bought the sheet music to "Bring me Sunshine" a while back!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Would the ridge be to stop the finger slipping off? As for the keyboard, mine, being GHS means ANYTHING else I play is going to be better and playable. That includes acoustics . . . .

Yes, that is exactly why. I would like to try it, I think it would particularly improve stride piano for the more dim-witted like myself. A very mild ridge, but with a definite edge. I would think it might be quite easy to mould and worth testing on a plastic keyboard.

E
E

I have noticed recently going back and forth between my GHS action P-35 and other DP's and acoustics that they generally feel easier to play on than the P-35. Some of the actions are considerably more tiring but overall I feel as if I have more margin for error and make fewer mistakes.

I do find the gap between black keys is narrower on the P-35 than anything else I've tried DP or AP ( maybe that's a standard for GHS DPs). The keys quickly become stiffer and less responsive as I move up into the keys and are particularly difficult right at the back. I also find the keys to be quite slippery compared to the decent DP and APs. Other actions feel like they have a better weight and response to them too.

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Enthusiast

I have noticed recently going back and forth between my GHS action P-35 and other DP's and acoustics that they generally feel easier to play on than the P-35. Some of the actions are considerably more tiring but overall I feel as if I have more margin for error and make fewer mistakes.

I do find the gap between black keys is narrower on the P-35 than anything else I've tried DP or AP ( maybe that's a standard for GHS DPs). The keys quickly become stiffer and less responsive as I move up into the keys and are particularly difficult right at the back. I also find the keys to be quite slippery compared to the decent DP and APs. Other actions feel like they have a better weight and response to them too.

I think GHS is intended for younger students who have littler fingers. The only reason I (quite) like it is because it is very light. A bit of arthritis is creeping in here, and playing the piano I have (DGX650) keeps things moving along nicely with no adverse effects. Now, that`s personal to me . .but the Kawai keyboards, almost all of them, seem darned good. Plenty of room between the black notes!

"[Linked Image]"
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Enthusiast

The problem with the P35/P105 keys is their length to the pivot is very short. I don't know if all Yamaha GHS instruments are like this, but that explains the 'stiffer and less responsive as I move up into the keys', IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission