2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone.
I have torn my rotator cuff and just had surgery Thurs. The Dr. says no piano for at least two weeks or more. Or more!! Yikes!!! I have refused narcotics and i assure you the pain of not being able to play is worse than the pain of the surgery!Now for the reason of my post. As many of you know I recently recevied my new Steingraeber. This news is just killing me. I have a question.Have any of you had this same surgery and how long was it before you could play again.? I have a Yamaha CGP1000 grand that plays,but it just isn't the same.

Feurich 172(Hand built in Gunzenhausen Germany)
Yamaha CGP 1000
1920 Cunningham player piano
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I fell back in November and landed on my arm/elbow and injured my right shoulder/rotator-cuff. Thought it was a bad sprain for a few weeks and decided it was more than a sprain.

I went to the ortho Dr. who said I had frozen shoulder (from not using it, because it hurt), bursitis and crepitus (clicking/popping/crackling with movement due to scar tissue). The Dr. gave me a shot of cortisone in the shoulder joint and prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy. He said that even if there was some tearing in the shoulder/rotator cuff, there was a 70% chance that therapy would help to regain pain-free range and motion.

I just finished up about 8 weeks of PT and my shoulder is much better, but a long ways from normal. The therapist said he would give the therapy about 6 months before I thought about surgery.

Also, the Dr. and the therapist decided to hold off on the MRI for now.

If within the 6 months of PT I'm not satisfied with the progress of my shoulder, I'll think about the surgery.

In the mean-time, and more related to your question, I've talked to as many individuals as I could who have had the rotator-cuff surgery. And, a lot of people in my small circle of friends and associates have had the surgery... a surprising number. As best I can tell, about two to three weeks is the threshold of time to allow the surgical repair to heal and begin some limited use of the arm/shoulder. So, the two weeks the Dr. mentioned is probably right, depending on the extent of the repair.

I never stopped playing the piano after my injury, but it hurt to reach way out and play the upper treble keys. I can reach out now and pound the upper keys pretty well, though I still have some mild pain. Thing is, I think I can play better now than I ever have before (wishful thinking? smile ).

The therapy has helped a lot, but I have not ruled out surgery as of yet. I'll know in about three and half more months. I still get this ungodly clicking/popping/crackling sound when I raise my arm a certain way, but it is getting better.

You can still play the piano with the other, good hand/arm... smile

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You don't say what was excised during the surgery, or how it was performed. So in the absence of any real info, follow your doctor's advice.

Let's also say that you'll be lucky if you have a really good outcome even if you do follow your doctor's advice. Do you really want to jinx that?

So follow his advice. Watch lots of TV, eat and get plenty of rest.

(Hi Rick! Glad to hear you're doing well!!)

P
OP Offline
P
Glad you areoing much better Rickster! Sure hope I can play in 2 weeks.

Yamaha CGP 1000
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
You don't say what was excised during the surgery, or how it was performed. So in the absence of any real info, follow your doctor's advice.

Let's also say that you'll be lucky if you have a really good outcome even if you do follow your doctor's advice. Do you really want to jinx that?

Laguna greg,
What do you mean that even if I follow my Drs. orders i'll be lucky to have a really good outcome? Did I understand you correctly? If so you have me a bit worried.

Yamaha CGP 1000
Originally Posted by piano man 3758
Laguna greg,
What do you mean that even if I follow my Drs. orders i'll be lucky to have a really good outcome? Did I understand you correctly? If so you have me a bit worried.

Piano man 3758, I can't speak for Greg, but most all of the people I've talked to who have had the Rotator Cuff surgery (several of them) have done very well after the surgery, although it can be a long recovery period.

Just think how wonderful it will be to play that new Steingreaber in a few weeks!! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Hey PM3758,

Dude, sorry to hear about your ouchie. Bummer!

Hope it wasn't caused by dancing.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So sorry to hear of your forced hiatus from the piano, 3758!
If you need someone to exercise your new Steingraeber, I'd be happy to help! You need to...erm...keep that action from locking up with regular use...yeah, that's it!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Rickster
Laguna greg,

Piano man 3758, I can't speak for Greg, but most all of the people I've talked to who have had the Rotator Cuff surgery (several of them) have done very well after the surgery, although it can be a long recovery period.

Just think how wonderful it will be to play that new Steingreaber in a few weeks!! smile

Rick

Thans Rick. That sure makes me feel better!

Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Hey PM3758,

Dude, sorry to hear about your ouchie. Bummer!

Hope it wasn't caused by dancing.

Yes of course! Too much dancing!! LOL!

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
So sorry to hear of your forced hiatus from the piano, 3758!
If you need someone to exercise your new Steingraeber, I'd be happy to help! You need to...erm...keep that action from locking up with regular use...yeah, that's it!

LOL! You are more than welcome to exercise it just as long as I may use your new,expensive,fancy smancy bench!!

Yamaha CGP 1000
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

Laguna greg,

I think he's just trying to give you extra motivation, for those moments when you feel tempted to disobey the doctor (and thus prolong your recovery)

Poetry is rhythm
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I can relate - I hope you heal soon and get back at the keys.

I had a ganglion on one of my right knuckles. Doctor said it was a quick and easy surgery with practically no down-time. Even in the OR I asked about piano and he said I could be playing before the end of the week. Supposed to be a 2 week recovery and I could do whatever I wanted as long as it didn't hurt.

It's been 3 months and my finger is all messed up. If I play piano it gets stiff and swollen the next day. I just started playing and have been so enthusiastic about it, and now this is killing me. I just want to play, it is my only release.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Laguna greg,

Rick

What Rick said 2xs!

My experience with orthopedic surgeries is that, no matter what method is used, you don't often end up as good as you were before the injury. Avoiding surgery is always the best option, and most doctors opt for this conservative approach when possible. Like Rick said, a long recovery is very possible. Be as patient with it as you can

If the doc is planning to do this arthroscopically, then your chances of a good outcome are better than the old-fashioned way. In any case, you should follow the doc's advice about the after-care. I'm sure the doc has referred you to a physical therapist or soon will. They can asses the state of your recovery, your range of motion and relative strength before you try to pound the ivories. You should let them do this. Find a good one, make friends with them, and do what they tell you.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
I'm so sorry to hear about your recent problems. Hopefully it was your right rotator-cuff that was torn. That way you can still play the left-hand repertory.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield
I can relate - I hope you heal soon and get back at the keys.

I had a ganglion on one of my right knuckles. Doctor said it was a quick and easy surgery with practically no down-time. Even in the OR I asked about piano and he said I could be playing before the end of the week. Supposed to be a 2 week recovery and I could do whatever I wanted as long as it didn't hurt.

It's been 3 months and my finger is all messed up. If I play piano it gets stiff and swollen the next day. I just started playing and have been so enthusiastic about it, and now this is killing me. I just want to play, it is my only release.

So sorry to hear this Joe. I really hope you are better soon. Yes piano is a big release for us!!!
Laguna greg,

Rick

What Rick said 2xs!

My experience with orthopedic surgeries is that, no matter what method is used, you don't often end up as good as you were before the injury. Avoiding surgery is always the best option, and most doctors opt for this conservative approach when possible. Like Rick said, a long recovery is very possible. Be as patient with it as you can

If the doc is planning to do this arthroscopically, then your chances of a good outcome are better than the old-fashioned way. In any case, you should follow the doc's advice about the after-care. I'm sure the doc has referred you to a physical therapist or soon will. They can asses the state of your recovery, your range of motion and relative strength before you try to pound the ivories. You should let them do this. Find a good one, make friends with them, and do what they tell you.

Laguna Greg,Thanks for your excellent words of advice! I read your Bio and you have excellent credentials in this field.Yes it was done arthoscopically and yes he has prescribed PT.Will do what they tell me to do.

Yamaha CGP 1000
T
T
dont push it no matter what. the tissue requires time to heal. you will thank yourself for your patience later with a pain free full range of motion and long lasting outcome.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more..."

I would keep the 'or more' in mind. It would be exceptional to recover as quickly as that. And if you think that is too slow, try recovering again after re-injuring yourself.

Best of luck with your recovery; I hope you feel better soon.

Clef

Hey Joe:
Hang in there and try to stay tough!
It's not pleasant but 2 weeks go by fast,
best wishes for your complete recuperation!
Norbert smile

G
G
I had a ganglion removed from the base of my right thumb close to the wrist a few months ago. I was told about 6 weeks for a full recovery. I was able to start using the hand again to play (carefully) after about 2 weeks, I just had to watch the larger streches.

But what I did do for those weeks was to take the opportunity to work feverously on my left hand (ala Scriabin), and all those who have had the disipline to try this will know it works absolute wonders when you're back playing HT.

Maybe this is an option for you.

Grotrian Steinweg Charis 208

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission