2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Good morning,

I wonder if there would be any merit in making the the 'Location' field of a user's profile mandatory for new (and existing?) forum members?

I can appreciate the some individuals wish to remain completely anonymous, however stating your country and/or city should not jeopardise this a great deal.

I often see posts from new members noting "X is not available in my country/area", or "I would like to play Y, but I cannot find a dealer", which then requires another member to ask the original poster where they are based etc.

Of course, this is just my opinion, however I believe it would improve the 'forum experience' (yes, I did just write that).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
James
x

ps. No, I do not work for the NSA.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I understand where you're coming from (ha!), but you're likely to get a lot of Vulcan residents, denizens of Antarctica, and Hobbits from Middle Earth, if it becomes compulsory. But it would help if people were encouraged to pin down their location to, at least, a country.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
S
S
Originally Posted by voxpops
I understand where you're coming from (ha!), but you're likely to get a lot of Vulcan residents, denizens of Antarctica, and Hobbits from Middle Earth, if it becomes compulsory. But it would help if people were encouraged to pin down their location to, at least, a country.

The Hobbits like Kawai.

Great Deals in the Shire to be had, if you can keep those Sackville-Baggins hands off them.

Nothing like a little piano before second breakfast...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimbres
The Hobbits like Kawai.

So do Yetis smile

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I often see posts from new members noting "X is not available in my country/area", or "I would like to play Y, but I cannot find a dealer", which then requires another member to ask the original poster where they are based etc.

I read somewhere that men are problem solvers, so when they hear a problem like this, men want to provide solutions and advise. Women are communicators. Women just want to share facts, and may not be so interested in finding a fix. So perhaps having heard something like "I cannot find..." you are frustrated that the poster do not provide sufficient info for you to solve their problem. Perhaps the poster is female and just want to vent for sympathy.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Some self-education might also solve your problem, James. Posters who wish the kind of advice you have in mind should be aware that location is relevant and include appropriate information in their post.

Indeed many do. It's just a few who think that there is no difference between close to home and the whole world. Mistakenly.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Third rock from the Sun.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
+1 James

I agree, that should be mandatory, it's also nicer to see where people are from in a forum called pianoWORLD

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
IMO in a globalised world economy it should not matter where one lives,
and the individual customer posting here could look up any goods in the well known online shops
or should be intelligent use a seach engine.

A little live database on the manufacturers web site (a Goolge map with pointers), guiding customers to actual test-able models available in showrooms, would solve this problem.

JFYI:
In my case I was writing an eMail to Kawai Germany pre sales (that is where the Austrian web site linked me to), to guide me, to where in Austria I could test a CN-34.
No answer.
I ended up telephoning for one hour all dealers in the range of 200km(!)on the list of Kawai's web site, some of them out-dated or non-stockists, to find out, who would have certain models in the showroom.

+1 James.

I think it's nice to know where someone lives

10.000 clowns on a rainy day
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I think MOST posters already know the limitations of their access to <list> due to their geographic location.
Expecting posters from OTHER countries/regions/areas/cultures to know those limitations in order to tailor their suggestions/advice seems beyond reason (to ME).

SOME questions e.g. those dealing with local product availability, are best addressed to manufacturers, or their local distributors.

There are better places to address web shopping issues, I think we should keep this forum about PIANOS - music, piano emulation, learning, etc.

I'm another "third rock from my local sun" resident, but I have dwelt on different land masses from time to time.
If I want/need advice specific to my location (unlikely) I can phrase my question to indicate where the answers will be applied.

Other than for MARKETING purposes there seems no point to "require" that posters disclose their location.

I vote "NO".

M
M
Originally Posted by R_B

Other than for MARKETING purposes there seems no point to "require" that posters disclose their location.

I'm sure that for marketing purposes our location is taken directly from IP, like google and facebook do.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Yamaha is fo' yo' Mama.
In Hawaii they like Kawai.
In Poland they like Roland.
But the Borg like Korg.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
Originally Posted by R_B

I'm sure that for marketing purposes our location is taken directly from IP, like google and facebook do.

I had meant the marketeers with little/no tech savvy.

Sure, if you assume the tech savvy and lack of ethics of the people that google or facebook employ, then all privacy is already lost.
If you worry about these things you might want to consider cloaking, not everyone here posts directly, etc.

OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Nippon Silliness Association ?

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James
[Linked Image]

Don't get me started, James! There's a rant waiting to happen here!!
You know, about the way we citizens are now all suspects, and we have to be treated like small children, watched all the time, have everything we do monitored and stored - just in case.

The fact that the "free world" has all but destroyed freedom in the name of upholding freedom, is such a huge irony that few people even see it, least of all those charged with upholding that freedom. And the more aggressively we try to protect ourselves, the more we simply encourage those who would do us harm.
But that would be a political rant in an apolitical forum, so I won't go there. wink

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
B
B
No, I wouldn't want to disclose which location on Earth the UK is, where I'm currently posting from. That would lose me my anonymity, which I strive very hard to preserve - I'm not on any social media, apart from piano recordings which I've made for a website (which apparently has my name credited on them, but I haven't checked, as that would lose me my anonymity).

In any case, Ben Nevis is just a tiny speck in the UK, which is just a tiny speck from the Space Station (- according to my cosmonaut friend, it's totally insignificant), so, as long as nobody knows which country the UK is, I'll remain anonymous.

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
T
As far as I'm concerned, it's very easy to disclose where I live. I am a very insignificant internet troll she somewhere on the western hemisphere of the Internet world. You see, I don't start troll discussions, do not post troll posts, I am a really really insignificant troll. Since I'm so insignificant, my exact location is insignificant and unimportant, too.

In other posts I mentioned I've visited the Frankfurt Musikmesse this year. This is the best hint I can provide you as far as my exact location goes.

Last edited by TrollToddington; 03/21/14 11:10 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You can put anything you want in that field. How would this be enforced? How does anyone know I'm actually in Illinois? (Although I am.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission