2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I submitted what I have for now since I don't know if I can get to record it again on wednesday.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I submitted what I have for now since I don't know if I can get to record it again on wednesday.

Good luck, I know all too well how difficult it is to get a good recording. I think I got my best one this morning, but it too me all day to finally get the recording from my digital to my PCM recorder because I literally couldn't get 4 straight minutes without a car horn, people screaming, scooters passing by etc...

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I'll do my best to record Op. 55/2 today. If I don't get a good take I'll try again Thursday.

in the past two weeks I have no less than about 46 takes. I already submitted a recording, but I would like to submit a better one.. However, it's difficult to get a recording without a glaring mistake or a satisfactory feel. Let's not forget interruptions or loud street noises...

I took 3 complete takes, and I'm not happy with any of them. I usually tend to play it pretty briskly, which is counter to the "Lento sostenuto" tempo indication, but I tried playing it lento and it just seemed too dreary. I can't make my interpretation work without the movement it seems.

Finished a decent recording of my Nocturne. Only a very minor slip up on one of those massive grace note leaps in the middle section. Pretty proud of it. I've been working on it pretty consistently for months now as a major project.

I'm pretty much a Chopin newbie so I had to learn polyrhythmic ornaments, basic pedaling, fastish double sixths, grace note leaps and all sorts of stuff I've never done before for the first time, and in a very challenging piece to boot. Phew!

I had to get it done early because my singing group will be on tour from the 18th (tomorrow) to 24th in Hawaii where I will have no way to record it. I think for me an even better recording is possible, with a faster middle section and zero mistakes. Ah well!

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Roland The Beagle
Finished a decent recording of my Nocturne. Only a very minor slip up on one of those massive grace note leaps in the middle section. Pretty proud of it. I've been working on it pretty consistently for months now as a major project.

I'm pretty much a Chopin newbie so I had to learn polyrhythmic ornaments, basic pedaling, fastish double sixths, grace note leaps and all sorts of stuff I've never done before for the first time, and in a very challenging piece to boot. Phew!

I had to get it done early because my singing group will be on tour from the 18th (tomorrow) to 24th in Hawaii where I will have no way to record it. I think for me an even better recording is possible, with a faster middle section and zero mistakes. Ah well!

+1 for two counts.

First, I am a Chopin newbie as well. When I was growing up, we were not allowed play such nice music as chopin but have to spend lots of hours for Bach, Clementi, Koulau (not sure about spelling) etc. Czerney collection of 30 studies etc. Lots of sonatines. Did a little bit of Beethoven and Mozart sonata.. I did not last more than 8 years. Had i continued, I would have started learning romantic / impressionist pieces within the next couple of years.

I also have to leave for UK on business this week. So I had to submit the one with a mistake. Did not have time to figure out how to attach some picture other than my playing but ran out of time.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I made a recording of my small waltz a couple of weeks ago. I listened to it again today and found that there were lots of small flaws, and since there still are a few days before the deadline I think I'll try to record once more. At least I have the old recording as backup.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I will start making recordings today, I think, but I may have to piece together a couple of different takes for the sake of time. I've made a lot of progress, but it's still not enough to my liking. I also have one nasty page turn to contend with and I haven't been trying to memorize, so I'll have to get creative with that too. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I will start making recordings today, I think, but I may have to piece together a couple of different takes for the sake of time. I've made a lot of progress, but it's still not enough to my liking. I also have one nasty page turn to contend with and I haven't been trying to memorize, so I'll have to get creative with that too. smile

Morodiene :

Have you thought of downloading a page of your Nocturne from IMSLP that you can place beside your copy to avoid the awkward page turn? That way, you may be able to play through part of the copy page until you come to a spot where you can conveniently turn the page on your own volume.

I've been working on "your" Nocturne and two others for an up-coming recital and I, too, have an awkward page turn in two of them. Fortunately, I have three different editions on the Nocturnes and one can be used as I describe above to get me through the page turns.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
When I was growing up, we were not allowed play such nice music as chopin but have to spend lots of hours for Bach, Clementi, Koulau.

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
M
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Morodiene :

Have you thought of downloading a page of your Nocturne from IMSLP that you can place beside your copy to avoid the awkward page turn? That way, you may be able to play through part of the copy page until you come to a spot where you can conveniently turn the page on your own volume.

I've been working on "your" Nocturne and two others for an up-coming recital and I, too, have an awkward page turn in two of them. Fortunately, I have three different editions on the Nocturnes and one can be used as I describe above to get me through the page turns.

Regards,
This works! I just need to extend my music stand a bit with some cardboard. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Guys, I'm totally editing my performance for pageturns, and also choosing sections from among the two best takes. Full disclosure here.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I would love to know how to do editing. I don't have time now but I am depressed every time I see my rather plumb figure. It was not like this before. I need to learn to add a picture of dog or something instead of myself. On top of my mistakes my husband dropped something in the background.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been procrastinating by obsessing over some Mozart. I feel like the work I've done with this Mozart sonata is somehow feeding into my playing of the Chopin waltz. Maybe just an excuse smile
I might try a take tomorrow if I can get past this obsession.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Guys, I'm totally editing my performance for pageturns, and also choosing sections from among the two best takes. Full disclosure here.

..same here. I memorised so no problem with pages but had a couple of stops and starts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dire tonic

..same here. I memorised so no problem with pages but had a couple of stops and starts.

Not me, I memorize everything and do a bunch of takes until I get a good one, I prefer it that way.

I would love to know how to do editing. I don't have time now but I am depressed every time I see my rather plumb figure. It was not like this before. I need to learn to add a picture of dog or something instead of myself. On top of my mistakes my husband dropped something in the background.

Farmgirl, if this is such an issue, why don't you just record yourself like I do. Position the camera to show just your arms and hands.

[Linked Image]

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
Originally Posted by dire tonic

Not me, I memorize everything and do a bunch of takes until I get a good one, I prefer it that way.

Farmgirl, if this is such an issue, why don't you just record yourself like I do. Position the camera to show just your arms and hands.

[Linked Image]

That angle is worse for me. I have fat arms. I would like to provide 100% coverage. Last time I saw a function of making the picture darker. But I could not find it any more in youtube setting. Anyway I will learn the skill by next time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

That angle is worse for me. I have fat arms. I would like to provide 100% coverage. Last time I saw a function of making the picture darker. But I could not find it any more in youtube setting. Anyway I will learn the skill by next time.

There's just no pleasing you is there...lol

I think you should just point the camera towards a frame on the wall of a pretty picture while you record yourself. Then, like you said, get some basic editing skills down for next time.

However, I have to say, and I think I speak for everyone here, we're not concerned with how you look, just that you're brave enough to present a performance of beautiful music so we can all enjoy. Please consider just being yourself, people tend to see what they want to see, but rarely ever look for what's best.

Check my videos @:
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Only 13/40 submissions so far. There are less than 3 days left.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by JoelW
Only 13/40 submissions so far. There are less than 3 days left.

You should probably expect the majority of submissions to be submitted at the 11th hour. I'm sure everyone will understand if it takes you a couple of days to organize material prior to posting the full recital on line. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Carey,

Happy birthday!

--

Everyone else,

The submissions are due at midnight on the 22nd, but I won't post anything until probably around noon. So if you must sneak your submission in late, you have 12 hours to do so.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission