2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tempted to trade in an iPad for the larger size of the Samsung, to run ForScore primarily. Anyone seen them yet?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I like the idea of a larger screen, but not sure if it would take me away from my iPad with all my apps, music, etc. Give this article a read: Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 03/07/14 03:16 PM.
12.2 is good but... 21 is better:

P Slate21 All-In-One HD Touchscreen

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Learning piano from 01 March 2010 to 2015. Restarting in 2020.
- Ex: Yamaha P-85, Kawai ES-4
- Current: Kawai CA-63
- Videos
- soundcloud
EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Well, just thinking of something for sheet music on the piano. The iPad is a bit small sometimes, and I'm hoping Apple comes out with something bigger. There are rumors, so I'll probably wait until the dust settles.

M
M
I have the older Samsung Note 10.1 and I love it, I'm not an Apple person, don't know if that helps. Forgive my newbie question but, how would you connect the tablet to dp? My tablet doesn't have a usb port it has the proprietary charging slot, so I have cable that runs that on one side and usb on the other side, but that's not the same usb port I see on dps, they call it usb type A, no? What cable would I need to connect my tablet to that usb type A port? Or have I got it all wrong?

I'm very close to purchasing new digital piano (one i have is 20 years old) so I'm excited at the prospect of all the connectivity new dps come with and want to know more.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by magflo
I have the older Samsung Note 10.1 and I love it, I'm not an Apple person, don't know if that helps. Forgive my newbie question but, how would you connect the tablet to dp? My tablet doesn't have a usb port it has the proprietary charging slot, so I have cable that runs that on one side and usb on the other side, but that's not the same usb port I see on dps, they call it usb type A, no? What cable would I need to connect my tablet to that usb type A port? Or have I got it all wrong?

I'm very close to purchasing new digital piano (one i have is 20 years old) so I'm excited at the prospect of all the connectivity new dps come with and want to know more.

You can get adapters to run USB connections:

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-cable

EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
FWIW, I've been trying out the new Samsung Note Pro 12.2 for sheet music, and it's very nice, much nicer than the iPad (for sheet music - that's all I've used it for), IMHO. Bigger screen, and the S-pen is amazing.

Y
Y
Originally Posted by EP
Well, just thinking of something for sheet music on the piano. The iPad is a bit small sometimes, and I'm hoping Apple comes out with something bigger. There are rumors, so I'll probably wait until the dust settles.

Agree and I'm also hoping for a larger iPad to replace my current one - I also heard similar iPad-pro rumors. Seems like smart phones keep getting larger and tablets keep getting smaller, a 12-13' iPad AIR would be perfect.

M
M
What apps do people use on android I use a 10' Toshiba pad, which works will I mainly use pdf sheet music. But I have not tried to connect using usb yet. I know andriod is a bit behind apple in this respect

https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/musicman

https://soundcloud.com/musicmantees

kawai es920 Kawai ES110 ( re bought) Yamaha PSR-S770 (arriving on Monday)Yamaha MODX7
EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm using MobileSheets on my Samsung (Android) - it works great, I can use my Bluetooth pedal for page turns, etc. I use ForScore on the iPad - both apps are great.
The choices for Android are definitely more limited than for iPad. The biggest benefit for me so far is the S-pen, which works so much better than the stylus on the iPad, which I found relatively useless for annotation. With the S-pen, it's almost like writing on the paper score with a pencil.

Unfortunately forscore is not available for Android only for iPad. At least that was the case last time I checked. A larger screen sounds brilliant though.

EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
MobileSheets has a couple of nice features that I think put it ahead of ForScore, at least for my use, although it doesn't do some things ForScore does, like allow you to rearrange pages. Personally I don't expect to see ForScore on Android, but who knows. At this point I'd stick with MobileSheets anyway.
I haven't tried this on the Samsung, but on the iPad I also use pdfexpert, because it will play multimedia files embedded in the pdfs, and very few pdf reader apps I've found will do that - not Goodreader, not adobe reader, not ForScore or any of the other ones I tried.
I take snippets from my lessons (I record my lessons on an iPod) and embed them in the pdf's in the appropriate places (on my computer) and then if I want I can listen to those snippets (generally my teacher demonstrating a passage, etc.) while I'm at the piano working on the piece.

B
B
Wow, the HP Slate is $400 (1Gz quad core, 1 GB RAM, 21.5" screen, 8GB HDD space), but the Samsung is ~$800 (2Gz octa core, 3GB RAM, 12.2" screen, 32GB HDD space). Just for reading music sheets, I think the HP Slate wins! At 21.5", you can probably fit 2 pages and because it's touch, flipping pages is easy. But you loose the portability (I think it's AC powered only).

Btw, an A4 paper has a diagonal of ~13.8"..is 12.2" enough?

P.S: At ~$800 there is also HP ENVY Rove 20 (20" touch screen, Windows 8, USB ports, 3h battery). You can run pianoteq/Kontakt on it and connect the DP directly to the tablet..tempting!

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Clearly there's no size fits all (pardon the pun). While those might be just the ticket for some, at 10+ pounds (not to mention the size) they're hardly something you could take to class or a rehearsal and put up on a music stand.
Ultimately, paper is still the simplest and cheapest solution - it's worked for hundreds of years, never needs charging or crashes. wink

B
B
The devil is in the details - the HP ENVY Rove 20 is not touch screen (flipping pages will be a hassle) and the HP Slate has a recline angle of 70 degrees, meaning it might not stay on the music rest frown

Yup, paper it is, at least for now! But the future looks promising..

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
Just bought a Galaxy Note 12.2 today at Costco. They have a special deal running now for $550. Don't know how long it will be valid. Has a beautiful screen, etc, but haven't done much with it yet.

Update: It was actually a Tab instead of a Note (no stylus). Not as good a deal, I guess.

Last edited by mikepo; 05/07/14 03:24 PM. Reason: Incorrect info
L
L
I have been using an Acer Iconia W7 (Windows 8.1) with an 11.6" screen since last Dec. I use it with MusicReader, and an Airturn B-105. (Thank you, Hugh Sung.)

I had problems setting MusicReader up on the tablet at first, but Marco Leone persisted in troubleshooting for me until I had it functioning correctly. (I think Microsoft may have a few conflicting issues.)

I love the tablet for ease in finding any of my music, or just pulling out something different to play. My motivation though, was to solve page turning.

I have even been able to scan in some scores that were old and in tatters, which I hesitated to use otherwise. They are clearer on the screen than on the original disintegrating paper. Interestingly, old markings from my teachers scan in beautifully. It does take time to do the scanning, but I am plodding through my library bit by bit.

I would like the tablet screen a bit larger, but it is easy to read with the backlighting, except for sightreading some fine print cadenza stuff which is hard to read even in print. But you learn those anyways, and don't read note by note.

I do like being able to add or remove highlighting and fingering ad lib.

I can also use the tablet as a fully functioning computer with Office on it.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mikepo
Just bought a Galaxy Note 12.2 today at Costco. They have a special deal running now for $550. Don't know how long it will be valid. Has a beautiful screen, etc, but haven't done much with it yet.

Update: It was actually a Tab instead of a Note (no stylus). Not as good a deal, I guess.

I had one in hand recently for a few minutes. Screen is very nice indeed compared to my iPad. I can only imagine it would be pleasurable in conjunction with a piano (or any instrument) for sheet music or video tutorials.

There's about a $100 price difference between the Tab and the Note if you don't need the stylus:
Tab=$549 & Note=$649 both 32GB and 12.2" screen at this price. Obviously higher price for more GB if needed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compa...SM-P9000/BHitems/1023220-REG_1023223-REG

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 05/08/14 05:06 AM.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2...e-us-in-may-will-cost-1100/#.U2t7T6OxXJs

Ideal for pdf sheet music.
Just that price :-(
I hope we will see other 13.3" pdf readers soon.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
L
L
I have the samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 inch (I think). A little small, but still does the job for me and my young eyes. Of course you can always zoom in on a measure/line of the song. Much easier than switching out dozens of books.

My Youtube Lessons Channel: www.youtube.com/user/lessonsontheweb
My Academy Website: www.lessonsontheweb.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission