2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
M.. that's a mystery wink

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Almaviva
That may be, wimpiano. However, Bluthner, Schimmel and Seiler also have secondary and tertiary lines with international parts sourcing and/or non-German manufacturing sites, yet they still manage to be BVK members. How come Bechstein is not?

Maybe they care about quality of piano more than a logo?

Poetry is rhythm
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by phantomFive

... Of course, the limitation of that design is when the melody is in the bass, and the treble is supporting, or even a counter-melody. In that case it's easier to bring out the melody on an even piano. ...

That's where the less-discussed (in this thread) part of the design comes into play, i.e. design that emphasizes discernable tonal differences at different volume levels. Since the melody and accompaniment are going to exist at different volume levels, volume-based tonal differences enable the pianist to better differentiate the parts, regardless of where in the spectrum they are located.

Larry.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

I'll just sit here and watch as the pianist is being replaced by the piano.

A piano is a tool. A piano doesn't voice a musical phrase, a pianist does.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
At the risk of irritating Marty, I have to agree with him. These posts demonstrate vividly that sophistication is alive and well in PianoLand. However, sophistication is not always bad. Often, sophistication is presented via beautiful and elegant prose (or cloaked in it); and there is some real beauty and elegance in this thread.
A less elegant and beautiful discussion might try to quantify “orchestral voicing” by using metrics like the cumulative line spectrum map, the spectral centroid map, the cumulative difference of spectral centroids and, finally, the cumulative difference of two cumulative line spectrum maps; but there is no elegance or beauty there - just a lot of work.

Last edited by PaintedPostDave; 03/14/14 08:42 PM.

Dave Koenig
Yamaha M1A console
1927 Knabe 7' 8" grand
https://sites.google.com/site/analysisofsoundsandvibrations/
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Dave, I don’t think anyone here on PW is quite as sophisticated and analytical as you when it comes to the science and physics of analyzing piano tone. Your line-spectrum analysis of sound waves in regards to piano tone never ceases to amaze me. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Pianists that have a lot to say musically, prefer pianos that provide them with the easiest tools to accomplish that. The ability to play a melody, or simultaneous melodies in any register and have them well phrased dynamically, makes for the richest musical experience.

The piano does not make the artist! It is only a musical tool. The best tools give maximum freedom to the pianist for musical expression.

I make those tools. That is what I do for a living. It is my science and artistry that serves the artistry of the pianist. If no one wants to play pianos-I am out of work. Therefore I seek to make the most attractive pianos for pianists and people who like to listen to pianists.

Some pianos tone blends across the compass in a way that all the notes of a chord sound the same. They are "mono-chromatic" as regards tone color. They can be very even, but compared to a piano that allows each note played to be shaped by tone shades that change with dynamics-they don't project complex melodic/contrapuntal phrases as well.

I prefer to listen to the latter.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 03/15/14 11:21 AM. Reason: typo and word use

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The orchestral voicing concept is an historical reference to instruments that were originally orchestral substitutes. The organ is a prime example. The tones are meant to replicate the sound of instruments in an orchestra.

The harpsichord is another keyboard instrument with different stops creating different timbres from strings intstead of pipes and utilizing mechanical devices like the venetian swell to give the impression of gradually increasing or decreasing the volume. Both of these instruments used terraced dynamics ( more notes more volume, less notes less volume) so the number of stops multiplies the level of sound. Both the organ and harpsichord lacked the ability to control the volume by increasing or decreasing the pressure of the key.

Early pianos were limited in volume although the very invention of the piano meant that there was control from the pressure of the key. Early pianos also utilized a variety of devices to change the sound including an array of pedals that could assist in program music and give the performer more dynamic control.

As pianos got larger and the compass grew wider, the volume increased but the makers were still clinging to the concept that piano was just another orchestral substitute not a solo instrument per se.
Early pianos were voiced so that there were pretty distinct differences in each register and it was only when the compass was extended that there became a need to even out the voicing. Historically the european style of voicing still clings to this concept although the differences are very gradual from note to note.

Homogeneous voicing (with the expectation of every note on the piano matching in timbre) only really became the norm after WWII with the epitome of homogeneous voicing being achieved by the high quality Japanese pianos from the 70's through the 90's.

Terms like a singing tone refer to longevity of the sustain creating a wider canvas in which the voicer can work.

Last edited by S. Phillips; 03/15/14 12:03 AM.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Sally Philips. Great post!

S
Online Content
S
Sally...

You da woman!

Great explanation.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Well, I have to disagree.

I can find no historical reference that piano builders, from Cristofori on, had any intention of emulating the sounds or tonalities of orchestral instruments. This is a concept which is being applied to the development of the piano in hindsight. During the mid 19th century, the period when the 'modern' piano was developing, the sole aim was to develop the concept of the piano as an instrument, and not to make it sound like something else.

The piano is not derivative of the pipe organ. It is the descendent of both the harpsichord and clavichord. To equate, or even imply, that the tonal structure of the piano has the variation of an orchestra is merely wishful thinking. It can, indeed, have great variation of tonal structure within the physical constraints of a hammer striking a string. It has no reeds, no buzzing lips, no plucked or bowed strings, nor any of the accessories to alter the tonalities of instruments which employ those methods of sound production. The piano is a tuned percussion instrument. It is merely a member of a family of instruments which can be added to an ensemble, only one of which is called an orchestra.

It is unfortunate that a very simple question posed by Almaviva has been over analyzed. I still maintain that using the term "orchestral" in reference to the tonal structure of a piano is wishful marketing hype. Hyperbole abounds in the hands of the marketing departments.

Have you ever heard a piano performance of Petroushka to come anywhere close to the tonal variety of the original? Though it is now popular, is any justice done to The Rite of Spring in a piano transcription?

Marty in Minnesota

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
This concept is a widely known element of voicing and establishing a tonal goal for an instrument. Because voicing is primarily an aural learning process and an oral tradition very little has been written about how voicers think about what they do. There is plenty of evidence in extant instruments, and in the US, Asian and Europe voicers copy voicing done by their predecessor.

The remnants of this tradition is still evident in the una corda pedal and the regulation. Many manufacturers and technicians have their own opinions about how that should be regulated. Should the shift go so far as to eliminate the striking of one string actually giving simply less volume? Or should it go over enough to have the hammer strike a different part of the hammer on three strings creating a color/timbre change. I can tell you that from working with pianists that most of them expect a color change in addition to a slight volume change. Almost every manufacturer has a tonal aesthetic that applies to that question and therefore the protocol varies with manufacturer.

Evidence for this tradition can easily be found on many American pianos from the early 19th century where pianos had many pedals to create different tonal qualities. The piano was actually developed originally from the hammer dulcimer, (neither the organ or harpsichord) with the common element being the keyboard. Even the hammer dulcimer was played with varying types of hammers/mallets to change the tone.

An orchestrally voiced piano as opposed to a homogeneously voiced instrument can have a clear clean bass or aggressively voiced bass. The tenor can have a variety of sounds ranging from a sweet lute like quality or one that matches an aggressively voiced bass area. The top of the bass section can round out and be more like the lower tenor. The treble can be a bell like quality or more aggressive brightness. All of this is of course dependent on the scale design and hammer type and the tonal goals of the manufacturer or customer.

The difference in the tenor area and the treble, which should gradually glide seamlessly up the scale, helps the pianist bring out middle voices in complex repertoire.

An additional quality of this type of voicing is that the timbre should change gradually as the key is struck a little bit harder in addition to the change in volume. This is usually described as tone color.

So I can assure you that this is not marketing hype but an attempt from the manufacturer to describe the tonal quality that they are striving to achieve.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Originally Posted by Sally Phillips
This concept is a widely known element of voicing and establishing a tonal goal for an instrument. Because voicing is primarily an aural learning process and an oral tradition very little has been written about how voicers think about what they do. There is plenty of evidence in extant instruments, and in the US, Asian and Europe voicers copy voicing done by their predecessor.

The remnants of this tradition is still evident in the una corda pedal and the regulation. Many manufacturers and technicians have their own opinions about how that should be regulated. Should the shift go so far as to eliminate the striking of one string actually giving simply less volume? Or should it go over enough to have the hammer strike a different part of the hammer on three strings creating a color/timbre change. I can tell you that from working with pianists that most of them expect a color change in addition to a slight volume change. Almost every manufacturer has a tonal aesthetic that applies to that question and therefore the protocol varies with manufacturer.

Evidence for this tradition can easily be found on many American pianos from the early 19th century where pianos had many pedals to create different tonal qualities. The piano was actually developed originally from the hammer dulcimer, (neither the organ or harpsichord) with the common element being the keyboard. Even the hammer dulcimer was played with varying types of hammers/mallets to change the tone.

An orchestrally voiced piano as opposed to a homogeneously voiced instrument can have a clear clean bass or aggressively voiced bass. The tenor can have a variety of sounds ranging from a sweet lute like quality or one that matches an aggressively voiced bass area. The top of the bass section can round out and be more like the lower tenor. The treble can be a bell like quality or more aggressive brightness. All of this is of course dependent on the scale design and hammer type and the tonal goals of the manufacturer or customer.

The difference in the tenor area and the treble, which should gradually glide seamlessly up the scale, helps the pianist bring out middle voices in complex repertoire.

An additional quality of this type of voicing is that the timbre should change gradually as the key is struck a little bit harder in addition to the change in volume. This is usually described as tone color.

So I can assure you that this is not marketing hype but an attempt from the manufacturer to describe the tonal quality that they are striving to achieve.

Thanks for this most excellent dissertation, Sally!

Have you written your book yet? smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The first sizable body of piano music was written by Domenico Scarlatti. Most of Christofori's pianos went to the courts of Spain and Portugal where Scarlatti spent some time. Mozart and his contemporaries brought the piano into public concert. Performing on piano became a "business" then. Salable to the new growing middle classes.

The most popular pianists played in an "Operatic" style. Opera being the Ne Plus Ultra of the music performing business. Transcriptions of Opera were played in concert by pianists.

Thus producing a "singing" tone was demanded by audiences and pianists alike.

Piano makers responded by a huge variety of means to try to meet this market demand.

Piano tone is really all about giving the pianists the tools to shape all the phrases in a way that makes them compelling to listen to.

I suspect early humans sang before they talked. Because the singing voice will project over distance better than the shouted voice. Having members of a tribe that could project their voices would have helped in any number of conditions early humans faced.

Orchestral instrumentalist often speak of wanting to sing with their instrument also.

I think the term "Orchestral" voicing is meaningless. Bechstein could chime in and explain.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 03/15/14 04:08 PM.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I think the term "Orchestral" voicing is meaningless. Bechstein could chime in and explain.

And this is what I have maintained throughout this thread!

Marty in Minnesota

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The orchestral voicing description, as I said above, is simply a description of a type of voicing done to achieve a specific tonal goal. It's a common term used primarily in Europe among manufacturers and technicians that is not often referred to in those terms here in the US. It may be unfamiliar but I assure that it has meaning to those who use it.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thank you all for your posts. It's been very informative and very entertaining.

One follow-up question, please. If what Bechstein means by "orchestral voicing" is that each register of the piano has a distinct tonal quality that can change subtly again with different dynamic levels, how can Bechstein maintain that "customers who do not explore this feature of tonal design often prematurely assume that the piano is voiced too bright for the American musical taste."

Inter-register tonal variety does not necessarily equate to brightness. The registers can be voiced to either dark or bright timbres. So what is Bechstein talking about?

P.S. - It doesn't just apply to pianos, either. Enrico Caruso and Placido Domingo were both tenors, but there was a dark timbre to both of their voices. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau was a baritone, but his voice had a tenorish coloring to it, a quality that became more apparent in his fifties.

Last edited by Almaviva; 03/15/14 03:14 PM.
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by S. Phillips

The remnants of this tradition is still evident in the una corda pedal and the regulation. Many manufacturers and technicians have their own opinions about how that should be regulated. Should the shift go so far as to eliminate the striking of one string actually giving simply less volume? Or should it go over enough to have the hammer strike a different part of the hammer on three strings creating a color/timbre change. I can tell you that from working with pianists that most of them expect a color change in addition to a slight volume change.

Just a quick comment here. Hitting 2 strings rather than 3, even with magically identical hammer felt density, changes the color, even at the same volume. So, if you strike the key slightly harder with the una corda engaged to match the volume of the note struck without the una corda engaged, assuming you are now only hitting 2 rather than 3 strings, you get a different color at the same volume. Depending on the piano, there should be more of a color change when the una corda is engaged, hitting 2 strings rather than 3, at a lower volume.
Whether the Una Corda is set up to completely clear a string or not, you also get a color change from the different part of the hammer felt hitting. That different part of the hammer felt will have been played in ( probably less ) differently and also voiced differently ( this is a big should since it is often not addressed ) and will produce a different color.
If the Una Corda is set up to completely clear a string, the pianist still has the option to not fully engage the pedal and move the keyboard over to the point they prefer. Granted, most pianists use pedals as on or off, but that is their choice ( or lack of awareness ) to not explore what sounds are available.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Most newer era pianos that are regulated so the shift pedal does not clear the hammers from one of the unison strings will sound ugly in the treble if you increase the shift motion to clear the third string. This is because the hammer felt is so dense that the end grain felt on the side of the hammer is brighter than the face of the felt.

If you have a softer, lighter hammer such as older Steinways and other makers used you can clear the third string and not get uglies.

Having one unison string un-struck allows the un-struck string to function as a passive coupler. It will be moving 180 degrees out of phase with the struck strings. (This means that when the struck strings are moving in the up direction, the un-struck string will be moving in the down direction and the un-struck string doesn't begin to move until the struck strings are already in motion).

This changes the impedance of the soundboard/bridge structure.

The effect is that some of the impact of the hammer is imparted to the un-struck string and this lessens the striking volume but since the unison contains a 180 degree anti-phase motion the sustain, (duration, I know BDB), is about the same as if you struck all three in phase with the same force blow.

I love piano music performed on a piano with properly tone-regulated, third-string clearing shift pedal by a pianist who understands how to use it.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by PaintedPostDave
A less elegant and beautiful discussion might try to quantify “orchestral voicing” by using metrics like the cumulative line spectrum map, the spectral centroid map, the cumulative difference of spectral centroids and, finally, the cumulative difference of two cumulative line spectrum maps; but there is no elegance or beauty there - just a lot of work.

I do find that fascinating though......a different way of looking at the same thing. The more ways you have to look at something, the better understanding you have of the topic.

Like the blind men and the elephant.

Poetry is rhythm
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission