2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 316 of 540 1 2 314 315 316 317 318 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've been quite busy, I've managed to play a couple more pieces, "Guillaume's Confession" from Chocolat and "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" theme, this last one also whistling, obviously! grin Still working on dynamics and speed, but at least I managed to read them and put the fingers in the right notes, so quite pleased with myself (tap on my own shoulders... ha )

Also I have managed to play the right hand only of a solo arrangement of "True", by Spandau Ballet. I loved this song as a teenager, and was about to run away with a friend to see one of their concerts in Spain when silly Steve Norman hurt his knee. Grrrr

Anyway, left hand will come at some point... putting both together will take a loooong time, I'm afraid. tired

I'll start learning some easy classical piece soon, just looking for one I can read!

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
I
I
This is the same thread as on pianostreet. And the same number of readeres and repliers
Please cut off, and practise.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ignace Erauw
This is the same thread as on pianostreet. And the same number of readeres and repliers
Please cut off, and practise.

You wasted 5 seconds writing that??? Go back to your piano, man!

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Farmgirl,

You probably already know this mnemonic for 4 vs 3 ......

Pass the god-damn butter
L......L..........L...........L
R...........R............R

Even with metronome droning on set to the triplets, maybe the phrase will help. It did for me.

Apologies to anyone offended.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
SwissMS
Is the run composed of patterns or scales or chords (3rds, 8ves for example).
Patterns and scales come quicker than the runs with chords for me. Because there are ways to practice them

They are scaler passages with several turns. I have increased my speed quite a bit, but I am still not where I want to be. I have tried short bursts past the thumb cross, slow and heavy, leading arm, and all help. I just tense up if I push too fast. I think it is just going to take more time. Technical improvement, for me, just seems to come more slowly than I would like smile.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by SwissMS
They are scaler passages with several turns. I have increased my speed quite a bit, but I am still not where I want to be. I have tried short bursts past the thumb cross, slow and heavy, leading arm, and all help. I just tense up if I push too fast. I think it is just going to take more time. Technical improvement, for me, just seems to come more slowly than I would like smile.

Then it will suddenly come all at once!

Sounds like the tension is what's holding you back. Can you isolate it and - well, all you really CAN do about tension in the last analysis - just not do it?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by evamar

... play the right hand only of a solo arrangement of "True", by Spandau Ballet. ...

Anyway, left hand will come at some point... putting both together will take a loooong time, I'm afraid. tired

Evamar, as readers know, I mostly do my own arrangements on pop songs. If you want to ease into it, you can start with just a single note on the left hand, every four beats or so, following the melody line. Play a single note an octave or two octaves below the main melody line where the singer is. At first, it won't sound like much, but it might be an easy start. After you get that much, you can add more notes to the left hand.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by JimF
Farmgirl,

You probably already know this mnemonic for 4 vs 3 ......

Pass the god-damn butter
L......L..........L...........L
R...........R............R

Even with metronome droning on set to the triplets, maybe the phrase will help. It did for me.

Apologies to anyone offended.

Thank u Jim.
I do know that and many varieties of it.
I stopped using them because its not easy to hear the metronome and the sound I produce over my mental voice. The challenge about this piece is that 3 against 4 (sorry it's actually 3 against 4 having 3 in the right hand) continues for about 60 meaures. I use two sets of metronome setting when practice HS. When playing HT i use the right hand (melody) metronome setting for 3 beats. I can do it for about five measures if the left hand follows patterns. But Mr. Chopin decided that its not interesting apparently (sigh), so there are couple of lines he really played around with the left hand. That's where I'm at. It's like an endurance test. I know i will get this. I don't want hear my teacher "are you still putting it off? How long it's been?"

Right now it's very slow. I will increase the speed once I can play the whole thing. Just for math oriented folks here, the metro setting is determined by solving 3/X = 4/Y. You have to give either X or Y. In my case, I wanted to take left hand (which is Y) no slower than 8th note=80bpm. Then you know right hand X =60.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
SwissMS
Is the run composed of patterns or scales or chords (3rds, 8ves for example).
Patterns and scales come quicker than the runs with chords for me. Because there are ways to practice them

Sounds like you've got good guidance. I'm sure it will get better if you continue your current effort. I have speed problem too. That's because I haven't practiced scales fast that much. I was told that I have to bring the scales to fast tempo before I start my next classical piece Mozart c minor fantasia K475 (I will start the piece after my schubert piece is complete).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Originally Posted by evamar

... play the right hand only of a solo arrangement of "True", by Spandau Ballet. ...

Evamar, as readers know, I mostly do my own arrangements on pop songs. If you want to ease into it, you can start with just a single note on the left hand, every four beats or so, following the melody line. Play a single note an octave or two octaves below the main melody line where the singer is. At first, it won't sound like much, but it might be an easy start. After you get that much, you can add more notes to the left hand.

Sand Tiger, many thanks for the tip! I'll give it a go. Later on I'll want to learn a more difficult version of many songs and pieces I'm learning now anyway, but I know my limits for the time being...

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Farmgirl
......continues for about 60 meaures

eek Eeek, thats a lot of gd butter!!!!! ha

I'm sure you will overcome it pretty soon....nothing seems to stand in your way for very long.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
JazzyMac - have fun learing that piece you love for your recital - (what's the name of the piece?)

Ragdoll- what a rotten flu! That can really knock you for a loop, hope you're feeling much better now! Congrats on the teacher, let us know how things work out!

Stubbie - funny how it can be satisfying to be told "no, you aren't done with this" smile Good luck with the pedalling!

Earlofmar, I hear you on the Clementi N2. I love it, but I'm also a bit sick of it. But I want to play it, but I'm sick of it.....but....but... I will play it and so will you! smile Good work on the sight-reading front ! That's a skill that really serves you well as you move forward in your music journey. Congrats on your leap forward on the Entertainer!

SandTiger - excellent advice to JazzyMac! I'm glad to hear how much you're enjoying the Coursera program - Don't think that just because people didn't sign up they think it is boring - It could be just not the right moment for adding something to a busy schedule!

RMaple: I love those moments when the light goes on and something suddenly makes sense in a way it never did before. This is a great leap forward and you will draw on this knowledge a lot in the future, for sure!

FarmGirl - I think it is so neat you are writing accompaniment for music with your husband! You are certainly super-active lately - flute duet, violin duets, and now a chamber music workshop? wow - wonderful!

SwissMs - great to hear how you are progressing towards your exam.I also like hearing about your self-discovery and being able to fix your balance before you get too far into a piece. As for taking it slowly - isn't that our perennial problem? We all seem to have difficulty going slowly enough - but we all know that it will work if we do it - I look foward to hearing that Kuhlau Sonatina when you're there!

MaryBee - sorry to hear you hurt your wrist - hope you heal up quickly! It does sounds like your time has been well spent though. You're laying more foundations for the future....maybe we'll be hearing YOUR orignal compositions in the ABF recital one day!

Barbaram: you're working on some lovely music. It is interesting to discover that something we thought might be easy is more difficult and something that looks difficult isn't too bad....I think it is great you're keeping older pieces fresh. I lapsed out of doing that and am working hard to get them back now---it is a tough slog.

Evamar (are you any relation to Earlofmar who is also in this thread smile ) --- I don't recognize the pieces you're playing except for "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme, but it does sound like you are enjoying yourself ! There are LOTS of easy classics to start with - I wonder which one you will choose?

JimF - you and others have had this discussion of 3 versus 4 before and I still don't get it smile One day I 'll get a piece with that in it and I'll shout for the butter. There is one with fruit too, isn't there?

whew, I'm caught up.
My ATOW is small. I have had a super busy week and not as much time at the piano as I would have liked, but I did play the Diabelli duet with my teacher. Realized I had not understood some of the dynamics, and also realized 2 spots where I really still don't have things firmly under control....so that's going to be my focus for this next week as I'll be playing the duet the weekend of the 22nd!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll- what a rotten flu! That can really knock you for a loop, hope you're feeling much better now! Congrats on the teacher, let us know how things work out!

Yah, it was pretty bad...I did manage to stay on the MOYD wagon but barely played about 5 minutes for 3 of those 9 days.

I'm pretty excited about the new teacher too. Been de-motivated for about three weeks prior to deciding on her. Just kind of wandering about on the keys not really focusing on anything in particular crazy

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

There is one with fruit too, isn't there?

Probably so. The only fruity one I use occasionally is blue-berr-y for counting triplets.... because it seems to roll off the tongue easier than trip-ah-let for me.

My AOTW is from the "be careful what you wish for" category...

Remember the Keith Jarrett arrangement I had stuck in my head that I began working out from a lead sheet, then found a transcription of his actual arrangement?

Well, my teacher had told me to play around with it and see what I could do...which I did.... She liked what I was doing and could see that I loved it, so now that is going to be my piece for her spring recital in late May. I'm already nearing completion of the Gillock piece I was going to play, so instead of being way ahead of the game, I'm playing catch-up with a late start. Oh well, I like both of them, but the jazz piece is pure joy and sounds so nice on my piano.

Last edited by JimF; 03/12/14 04:52 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I just had this gal ask me to learn Moonlight Sonata so I could play it for her. Then I come on here and the first thing I see is that thread on chords for MS. Doh! Help! All you classical people! Help! She is a really really really nice Heifer. What the heck is a Mooonlight Sonata?! (just joking) (extra o pun intended)

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B
Trying to learn Debussy Catedrale Engloutie .. the good thing about this piece with all the strange chord configurations.. sight reading at a VERY SLOW pace still allows for it to sound ok ...with a lot of sustain pedal. Due to the nature of the piece. Except for the third page.

Also , I looked at trying to pick up chopin waltz in dflat major (minute waltz) again. Amazingly, it came so much easier this time. I can do the scale runs on the right hand easily while I concentrate on the other aspects of the piece.

I tried to learn it several years ago and remember dropping it because I didnt know how to practice it at the time. I tried to 'reinvent the wheel' by trying to memorize every single note of the right hand combo with what comes with the left. It was extremely diffiuclt and I dropped it. I know my scales more so these days so this was easier to play. So proud of myself smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
OK, this is kind of a vent of frustration. My teacher threatened to come over and spend the day observing how I practice. For as much effort as I am putting in, she is not seeing the progress that she expects. Because I have decided to take the ABRSM exams, she is being very picky about everything, at my request, and I really appreciate that. I am being treated the way she would treat a music major undergrad, which is what I want. So I have no frustration with her, only with me.

I THINK I am being focussed, precise, and applying all I have been taught about how to practice. Yet, my hand position, my preparation, simply does not show in the lesson. I still play too fast in lessons and my hands still look too unsure. Which means, I am not focussing on the right things in practice, and I am simply too impatient. So, my lesson today is going to be supervised practice. I will report back after it is over. Hopefully I can count a AOTW of better practice technique!

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Briansaddleback - Sunken Castle! Loved that piece. That was my first Debussy piece I studied. I really fell I love with the piece. I wish I kept it up. You will have a great time with it.

SwissMS - what a great teacher you have. She sounds like really care about you although I would not like my teacher watch my practice. I am usually very tired and start falling asleep. I then practice violin which is pretty bad and loud. This wakes me up enough to practice piano for 30 more minutes.

Jim - I'm hoping that its going to be 60 measures of joy not torture. Actually it sounds much better today. Maybe because I'm very sleepy after 10 hrs of work, violin lesson and 2 hrs of Choir practice. I probably should quit choir but my husband says he is going to make me work with him in the local soup kitchen if I quit. We both have to contribute to the church. Well I Like singing better than cooking. Anyway, it's fabulous that you get to play Jazz. Did you add your arrangement to it? You are very talented. Years ago I took Jazz piano but did not go far. I liked it but they use lots of chord that I've never heard of. Look forward to the recording.

Maple - good luck with the sonata. I'm sure you will impress the lady.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Good luck Brian with the Debussy...love his music. It looks SOOO much easier than it is to play well. Good for you on the Chopin improvement.

FarmGirl you make me laugh with all your complexity. I'd vote with choir too. Would love to see you two again but this year we're going to Santa Fe.

RMaple she must be some girlfriend for you to learn a classical piece. :-)

SwissMS sounds like your teacher understands the rigor of the exam world and will help you get there. The process is the learning experience more than the exam itself.

I'm working on my repertoire...revisiting pieces I've played (and loved) in the past to bring them up a notch and possibly up to full speed. There's ten this year on my list so I work 4 to 5 per day. It's taking a break from learning all new music and building my competence in those ten pieces. I've also taken a two week break from lessons to focus on just my own experience with the music.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I, too, wonder where FarmGirl finds all that energy.

I wish I had an achievement every week.

Gary
Page 316 of 540 1 2 314 315 316 317 318 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission