2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2245158 03/12/14 02:15 AM
S
SprazeR Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I was going to buy ES7 but I thought I should wait for music messe. And here they go, Kawai, released It's MP7 with the same key action as ES7 have and XL piano sampling

And I've heard MP7 price is around $1500 (while ES7 = $2000)

I know the girl has just come out but I really need a new piano so I wonder if it's worth to wait?

Can any body versus these 2 pianos? and since ES7 is more expensive... Does ES7(apart from having built-in speakers)have anything better than MP7?? it just doesn't make sense that ES7 is $500 more expensive and has less features..
You could buy MP7 and get some decent monitor speakers ($1500+$500) and bing! completely better keyboard?

Please give me your thoughts , I will really appreciate it. no need to give really precise opinions but just according to your experience with KAWAI will have me make my decision alot!!

P.S I have never had a kawai DP

Thanks alot
Nick

Last edited by SprazeR; 03/12/14 06:43 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Well, as an ES7 user I was the same. MP7 specs and estimated price leaves the ES7 in a bad place. Less features, more money. Strange.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
UK; es7 £1136; mp8II £1499. No MP7 yet in this store.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
Yes but in Europe the es7 is cheaper then the mp7.

Here it is listed on a German site-

http://www.musikhaus-korn.de/de/Kawai-MP-7.html

1490 euros

http://www.musikhaus-korn.de/de/Kawai-ES-7-SB.html

1390 euros

And in the UK I can get a discount on the es7 to make it about £1000 - I would imagine there will be no discount on the MP7 for the next few months at least so UK price will be about £1300 so in my case is the MP7 worth £300 more?

https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/musicman

https://soundcloud.com/musicmantees

kawai es920 Kawai ES110 ( re bought) Yamaha PSR-S770 (arriving on Monday)Yamaha MODX7
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yep, but not much cheaper. Both models aim at different people, but just 100 bucks more for an MP7...sounds strange, given its specs are far superior and is more "pro"-oriented. Am I wrong? With a pair of cheap monitors it would be nice beast, with a similar weight than ES7 and better pianos. That's what looks strange to me, it seems MP7 is overlapping with ES7. The only point I see now in getting an ES7 is, besides speakers, that you are a technodonkey, like me, and choose the simplest model available.

Last edited by mabraman; 03/12/14 08:53 AM.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
K
K
Heck, busy these days and just found out that ES7 got a nice competitor from its own stable. Honestly speaking however may MP7 spec look impressive one look on the piano and I know that ES7 is nicer for me. The reason is simple: I'd like to concentrate on playing and not bother with a button clutter on the top of the piano so just visually ES7 is more appealing to me. Also it's a model of "get out of the bag and play" kind which is exactly what I prefer now.
Anyway, if Kawai is going to update ES7 and release ES8 with MP7 sounds/sampling that would be great. :-) (but well, I'm probably not going to wait a year or more for that...)

November 2011: piano entered into my life.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I agree with KarelG.
I think MP7 is an excellent piano but the main reason why I would not buy it and replace my roland is that it has not in-built speakers. I want to have the choice not to have external monitors to listen to my piano. Well it's also more than 5 kg heavier, but this is a compromise I could accept, as I don't move it often. But having to put external speakers means moving the piano from where it is now etc. so less comfort, less choice. What's more, in my case, I play most of the time through headphones (neighbors...), so... Well for some people, action is everything. But for many others (most of them probably not on this forum) there are also other priorities. I was talking to a piano dealer recently, asking why they have no digital piano without speakers. He said, our clients want all in one solutions for home use. So if they do an ES8 which has similar specs as MP7 but with the same speakers (and not heavier because of speakers), that will be my next buy.

PS I can understand people that buy expensive speakers to really improve the sound (that is the only reason I could buy external monitors one day) but in that case we are speaking of something close to 1000$....

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
M
M
Yes I also agree with the above. In the past I have brought pro synthesizers and at first I do a bit of editing but in the end I mainly compose and play music. I just like to turn on the keyboard and play music!!!

I also like having speakers on the keyboard it saves another power point and more wires!!

listening to the audio I can't really tell the difference between the piano sounds of the mp7 and es7. maybe that just me!! I think the sound of the es7 sounds pretty good any way.

kawai es920 Kawai ES110 ( re bought) Yamaha PSR-S770 (arriving on Monday)Yamaha MODX7
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have been staunch in my appreciation and enjoyment of my ES7 and remain so. However, re built in speakers or not - and I too could not use my domestic speakers with a DP, plus it is easy for me to transport the ES7 for external charity recitals, fewer boxes to load/connect - there is another consideration when it comes to using software pianos. Yes, the ES7 native sounds are good and the speakers fit them, as they should. Using software pianos, the TK set, there is a need to have different versions: settings which sound OK/good on my domestic speakers, headphones and pc speakers (the latter not just the onboard sounds) are very bright and shrill via the ES7 speakers. Similarly, settings which are OK through the ES7 are dull and bass heavy on the others. I have solved it by creating different "voicings", but anyone who intends to use software pianos might consider not having built-in speakers and buying speakers which match the software pianos' default settings rather better.

I bought the ES7 before the VPC1 came out. I don't regret buying the ES7 one little bit, but for me the VPC1, complications about external speakers notwithstanding, may be more suitable for my needs.

M
M
You are not thinking of selling the es7 are you?? If you are you can PM me.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Nice try, but no!

M
M
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
I agree with KarelG.
I think MP7 is an excellent piano but the main reason why I would not buy it and replace my roland is that it has not in-built speakers. I want to have the choice not to have external monitors to listen to my piano. Well it's also more than 5 kg heavier, but this is a compromise I could accept, as I don't move it often. But having to put external speakers means moving the piano from where it is now etc. so less comfort, less choice. What's more, in my case, I play most of the time through headphones (neighbors...), so... Well for some people, action is everything. But for many others (most of them probably not on this forum) there are also other priorities. I was talking to a piano dealer recently, asking why they have no digital piano without speakers. He said, our clients want all in one solutions for home use. So if they do an ES8 which has similar specs as MP7 but with the same speakers (and not heavier because of speakers), that will be my next buy.

PS I can understand people that buy expensive speakers to really improve the sound (that is the only reason I could buy external monitors one day) but in that case we are speaking of something close to 1000$....

I also wanted to have the option to be able to just turn the piano on and play through the dp's own internal speakers. It was a big factor for me in deciding what to get.
Interestingly, I then bought a PA anyway. One of the main reasons for that, was dissatisfaction with the onboard speakers.
Thats life.

F
F
Well I just bought a ES7 in December getting a steep discount from a store going out of business. the ES7 has not been out long enough to be updated. The ES7 is stand mounted on a Kawai stand in my great room. I love the action and I too like the one power point; all I really do is play the pianos. I have a MP6 that I use for gigging with. Excellent instrument. But I do like having the option of picking up the ES7 and not having to take a PA with me. I bough my MP6 in October of 2010. Had no problems at all with it. If you have the cash to invest in a small PA the MP7 rig may be a better fit. I have a Yamaha StagePas that works well (600 to 900 US). I would not waste any time on a Keyboard amp. Use a PA. Also go try the pianos out before you buy or if no dealers around, like me, get them online with liberal return policies.

In summary you cannot go wrong with either. I have had three Kawai DPs and have had zero problems with them. Built like a tank.

A
A
I love the speakers on the ES7. I use a PA as well. But having that sound close in, makes it much more enjoyable than other digital pianos I have used with no internal speakers. And for many others that do have internal speakers, they are often very bad. The ES7 is classy looking, classy sounding and the speakers sound actually really good for their size.
Down side - it is heavy ! ! !
Up side - I need the exercise smile

H
H
I had a chance to try both ES7 and MP7 side by side (almost) recetly and I have this question for Kawai James (ideally) or anyone who tried them both. Is the action, and specifically the texture of the keys, exactly identical in these two models? Because I could swear that MP7 was more shiny and slippery while ES7 was more matte and textured, like CA95. Also, the MP7 seemed noticably noisier. Overall, the ES7 keyboard felt higher quality and "more expansive" than MP7. Was this just optical illusion or fact? Could anyone (KJ I guess) shed some light on whether there was any change in the manufacturing process of RHII action between ES7 and MP7?
Thanks, H.

C
C
Originally Posted by Hookxs
I had a chance to try both ES7 and MP7 side by side (almost) recetly and I have this question for Kawai James (ideally) or anyone who tried them both. Is the action, and specifically the texture of the keys, exactly identical in these two models? Because I could swear that MP7 was more shiny and slippery while ES7 was more matte and textured, like CA95. Also, the MP7 seemed noticably noisier. Overall, the ES7 keyboard felt higher quality and "more expansive" than MP7. Was this just optical illusion or fact? Could anyone (KJ I guess) shed some light on whether there was any change in the manufacturing process of RHII action between ES7 and MP7?
Thanks, H.

important observation...
Is it true?. The keys and the overall quality is better in the ES7?
somebody knows it?

Last edited by crea; 10/05/15 07:12 AM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I never miss an opportunity to express my complete satisfaction with my ES7. I had been through about 6 different digital pianos (Including the Kawai CA63) before "discovering" the ES7 and since then I have never even thought about looking into something different. You will not go wrong with the ES7 as your choice.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Online Content
Originally Posted by crea
Originally Posted by Hookxs
Thanks, H.

important observation...
Is it true?. The keys and the overall quality is better in the ES7?
somebody knows it?

I don't know how/why I missed Hookxs' original query about this last year, but now that crea has re-raised the topic, I can reassure you both that the ES7 and MP7 keyboard actions are identical. These instruments are both manufactured in the same facility, using the same keyboard action parts.

Similarly, the new ES8 utilises exactly the same 'RHIII' keyboard action as the CN25 and CN35.

I hope this clarifies things.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
C
Thank you Kawai James

Last edited by crea; 10/06/15 02:01 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission