2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Starving lions normally hunt impalas (or even gazelles, if they are fleet of foot, or elephants, if they have friends to hunt with), not post on internet forums.

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
and I intend to prove that a teacher is not required to play Liszt's Transcendental Etudes. This is my personal thread to provide an experiential guide to becoming a virtuoso simply by practicing the

Technische Studien, S.146 (Liszt, Franz)

on a $500 digital piano and posting an audio recording every Sunday of my progress.
Well, I suppose it is possible if you are not a beginner but there is no way to tell from your profile. For all we know, you are a concert pianist who is trolling for trouble.

If you are indeed a beginner, and this is the ABF afterall, and your goal is to play the right notes at the right time, then it may be possible, but if your goal is to play the TE musically and at tempo, then 1) you can't do it on a digital and 2) you need a ton of experience learning and interpreting music that is Liszt's. Anyone can push "the buttons" at the right time.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm going to take this bait. StarvingLion, you've suggested at times that people read "The Pianist's Problems" by William Newman. As I recall, Newman suggests that after four years, a serious student should invest in a copy of the complete repertoire (he provides a list by composer and edition), meaning all works by all major composers (I believe starting with Bach and maybe Scarlatti) and sight-read every piece, meaning that after four years a serious student should be able to do such a thing. He defines sight-reading along the lines of being able to play 80% of the notes at a tempo that can be slower than finished speed, but doesn't destroy the integrity of the piece. Newman thinks the procedure should take about a year and is critical to prepare for further serious study. (Disclaimer: I don't play at that level.)

So is this the idea you're riffing off of with these repeated posts that you will now learn and play some significant body of work by some significant composer?

Last edited by David Farley; 03/11/14 05:46 PM. Reason: confusion
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
and I intend to prove that a teacher is not required to play Liszt's Transcendental Etudes. This is my personal thread to provide an experiential guide to becoming a virtuoso simply by practicing the

Technische Studien, S.146 (Liszt, Franz)

Were these studies derived from said Transcendental Etudes and designed with aiding the student in learning to play them in mind? If not, you might as well be practicing Hanon, Czerny, Dohnanyi, and/or any other random exercises as they won't be directly progressing you towards your goals.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
Were these studies derived from said Transcendental Etudes and designed with aiding the student in learning to play them in mind? If not, you might as well be practicing Hanon, Czerny, Dohnanyi, and/or any other random exercises as they won't be directly progressing you towards your goals.

They're Liszt's Etudes. Actually, learning Hanon and Czerny first is the way. Best to learn Bach, Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven before Liszt. Generally it works out better if you build the foundation and walls first before the roof, fist floor before the second floor. Though nowadays people have all sorts of "innovation" on how to do things. I'll stick to the old tried and true methods.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I just want to make another announcement. I am hijacking this thread and if anyone cares I just don't care grin

I am going to play* Gaspard de la Nuit, the Hammerklavier sonata, Rachmaninov's first, Prokofiev's 8th all without a teacher and without practice. All today. Without break. I won't even need the sheet music.

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

Last edited by wimpiano; 03/12/14 04:33 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted by wimpiano
I just want to make another announcement. I am hijacking this thread and if anyone cares I just don't care grin

I am going to play* Gaspard de la Nuit, the Hammerklavier sonata, Rachmaninov's first, Prokofiev's 8th all without a teacher and without practice. All today. Without break. I won't even need the sheet music.

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

who cares

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

[Linked Image]

Best regards,

Deborah
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

Yeah, but can you do it with one hand while arm wrestling the Denver Broncos' defensive line with the other? ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

laugh ha

Last edited by evamar; 03/13/14 03:48 AM.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
M
M
Not everyone does well with even a good teacher. Some people have a hard time submitting to someone else's knowledge. That's OK, have fun, Starving Lion, and best of luck to you!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

Yeah, but can you do it with one hand while arm wrestling the Denver Broncos' defensive line with the other? ;-)

Most probably on a playstation.. wink

T
T
what happened to the Starving Lion, is he busy trying to find food?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Here's a suggestion: how about you quit being offensive?

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by The Wind
what happened to the Starving Lion, is he busy trying to find food?

I'm sure that practicing 20+ hours a day leaves little time to post.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
People need to reel back the personal insults. Besides, the OP is entertaining and probably a decent pianist. He knows what he wants!

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Polyphonist and @Dwscamel. I agree, however it is just a bit too inviting isn't it? Did let myself get a bit carried away, no real pun intended though.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
No, yours was appropriate humor, while someone else's was not.

Regards,

Polyphonist
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
This gives me a good idea actually, not to post recordings of works you're in the process of learning on a serial basis, but to make them and save them, to track progress. I think I'll start doing that.

(edit) Just realized a problem with that plan, the only day I'll be able to do it is on Tuesday nights so it will have to be once a week.

Last edited by Hrodulf; 03/13/14 05:17 PM.

[Linked Image]
T
T
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Here's a suggestion: how about you quit being offensive?

whatcha talkin' bout Willis?

why are you interjecting yourself in things which don't concern you. And explain how that was offensive. Do you not have a sense of humor. I ought to say in street parlance "you mad bra?"

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission