2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (All in Stride, AWilley, c++, brennbaer, 36251, accordeur, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 771 guests, and 542 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
looking for exercises/practice tips for p to pp to ppp
#2244535 03/10/14 11:41 PM
T
OP Offline
T
i am so tired of either stomping through quiet passages, or failing to get any sound at all out of my instrument; but the passages themselves aren't sufficient on their own to help me develop the necessary technique. i'm not looking for miracles or instant gratification -- just exercises that will help me develop the 'subtle touch' muscles while keeping the notes audible. something along the lines of 'yoga for the hands', that with patience and repetition will develop my hands and brain, and teach me some control - ?

*thank you* for any suggestions.

thorn

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: looking for exercises/practice tips for p to pp to ppp
thorn_was_taken #2244594 03/11/14 04:31 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
There are a lot of ways to do it. And probably this thread will fill up with a ton of great approaches. That said, a first step could be: Practice slowly - really slowly - and get to the bottom of the keybed. Feel the bottom really securely. Meaning feel exactly where it is. What it feels like to reach it. What it feels like to release it.

Do it hands separately with whatever you're working on that needs to be soft. But the key is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW and controlled so you can feel the bottom of the keybed consistently and securely.

A related step is let your hearing guide your fingers. Rather than letting your fingers guide your hearing. Which means as you play soft really HEAR what it is you're trying to play at that soft dynamic level that you're trying to play it. That may seem obvious. But it's one of those things that sometimes gets kind of lost in the shuffle.

So ears first. Fingers (hand, arm, etc.) second.

Hope this helps ...

thorn_was_taken #2244675 03/11/14 09:34 AM
C
C
I still work through some of the exercises on the "How to Teach and Play Debussy", http://www.stevepur.com/music/debussy_piano/dumesnil/dumesnil.html, under the 'As a first and all-important principle, I want to point out the absolute necessity of studying the "pianissimo."' section.

The most useful thing I was told about soft playing is - use firm fingers, the softer, the firmer.

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
thorn_was_taken #2244713 03/11/14 11:27 AM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Is the action in your piano in good regulation? If your instrument isn't well regulated, p to pp to ppp will always be an exercise in frustration.

Forrest

From Carlos' web link above

"You will notice, if you press a key down gently and slowly,that just before it reaches the bottom there is a slightresistance, which releases under the pressure of your finger.This part of the action is called in French, the "doubleescape." You can use this to great advantage in"pianissimo" work, by getting your tone from this lowerpart of the stroke. More than ever, keep your fingers in contactwith the keys, and do not allow these to come back all the wayup,--only about half way, keeping the two pedals on all the time."

but this will not work well unless (from later in the post)

"CONCERNING THE PIANO

A factor of primary importance, for the execution and study ofDebussy's music, is the piano used. No one can practise tonecoloring efficiently on an instrument with a pounded-out action,worn-out hammers, and wabbly pedals. While it is not alwayspossible for students to play on a new piano at all times, stillit is possible, and absolutely necerrary, to have one that iskept constantly in perfect condition, with the action smooth, thetone evenly voiced, and the pitch true. "

Last edited by woodog; 03/11/14 11:32 AM.

PTG Associate Member
Haydn Hob. XVI: 23 in F major
Debussy Arabesque #1, Reverie
Bach BWV 874, 883
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
thorn_was_taken #2244736 03/11/14 12:04 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was reading the book of Badura Skoda about playing Mozart and at certain point he mention about playing the pp in the A minor sonata... he specifically mention how to go just couple of mm ( 0.080" for the US) down in the key to get the pianissimo effect at that speed... It took a heck of a regulation to my piano to be able to do that and still is not as nice as it was when I did try a fantastic piano with a fantastic renner action.
At the same time we do need to consider how LOUD a piano can be while playing FF... and at the end of the day it's a matter of contrast. you can play the most possible pp on your piano and it still sound "loud-ish" but you can play a FF and it's very loud.. the important part is not playing pp as mp and ff as mf with a very limited dynamic range.

thorn_was_taken #2244763 03/11/14 12:46 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
The tip about keeping in the keys is good. Keep deep in the keys.

I don't believe in the pedals-down thing.

The left pedal particularly is for changing the brightness of the sound, not for softer. And it's usually not so reliable in what exact effect it has. On my piano it does a lot while I can barely hear a difference on my teacher's piano. Also it has entirely different effect on uprights and grands.

The right-pedal is to sustain notes, not to make them softer. It's an effedt that you need or do not need. And if anything, the right pedal will make sound louder, not softer.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
thorn_was_taken #2244885 03/11/14 05:37 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
What has worked for me is to use the digital with headphones, and just turn up the volume. Do it little by little, when you get a good ppp at one level, turn it up a little more. The control learned that way does translate to the acoustic piano, but of course, with a little adjustment.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
thorn_was_taken #2245623 03/12/14 08:44 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you all! And of course I'm happy for more suggestions from any others who might wish to weigh in.

@Forrest: Interesting that you should ask about my piano's regulation. I had it regulated recently, and it does have some new quirks. Overall, though, I'd say it's improved, but I'm still getting used to it.

I shall try all of the suggestions here -- except practicing on a digital piano, because I have no access to one. I bad not known about the online Debussy 'how-to'.

The point about contrast is really a good one. I think it has helped me to figure out that I need to develop my range of 'loudness' -- because I'm not good at contrast generally, I don't think.

!

thorn

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A
thorn_was_taken #2249240 03/20/14 03:26 AM
C
C
here's what I do:

nah, forget it, I agree

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Kawai ES110 Quality Control
by MusicMaster709 - 01/16/21 10:32 AM
Kawai ES920 Bug Report!
by Chummy - 01/16/21 09:36 AM
I have an announcement, LOL...
by ebonykawai - 01/16/21 09:17 AM
Petroff Piano Competition 2021
by Piano World - 01/16/21 09:16 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,289
Posts3,047,262
Members100,077
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission