2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2244031 03/10/14 03:18 AM
S
OP Offline
S
and I intend to prove that a teacher is not required to play Liszt's Transcendental Etudes. This is my personal thread to provide an experiential guide to becoming a virtuoso simply by practicing the

Technische Studien, S.146 (Liszt, Franz)

on a $500 digital piano and posting an audio recording every Sunday of my progress.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Wow, good luck! Looking forward to your experience.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
It's not required to have a teacher, that's known because it's been done before. The point of a teacher is that you will get there faster (with a good one).

I'm curious though, how did you decide on that method of learning? What makes you think it will work?

Poetry is rhythm
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
and I intend to prove that a teacher is not required to play Liszt's Transcendental Etudes. This is my personal thread to provide an experiential guide to becoming a virtuoso simply by practicing the

on a $500 digital piano and posting an audio recording every Sunday of my progress.

Now, I don`t know if this is a wind up or serious. But I think you`ve whetted our appetites anyway . . . bring it on man!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
E
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by StarvingLion

Now, I don`t know if this is a wind up or serious. But I think you`ve whetted our appetites anyway . . . bring it on man!

Coming from a poster with 200 plus posts I take it as a serious statement. I applaud your goal and look forward to your updates. This is a serious musical and athletic effort.
As a previous poster queried, how are you preparing for this journey and what prompted you to do it this way ? What is your current playing level and experience ?

Ok, so based on other comments below the previous 200 odd posts from OP apparently had this kind of huffing and puffing has happened before from the poster.
So as they say either put up or shut up smile

Last edited by EM Deeka; 03/10/14 10:30 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Perhaps the trolling is apropos to what's been going on in the forum lately. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
T
Just do it.

T
T
hey just wondering Starving Lion. you play any jazz? Would like to see you tackle that without a teacher. I did it. Took me a while though. Haha.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another big promise from the lion, last time it was Beethoven's Sonata no. 13, supposed to be played on a Yamaha P105, outplaying the Roland V Piano itself. See this thread.

That was nota bene three and a half months ago. Needless to say no such performance has appeared on the PW forum. I'm optimistic and believe we'll get to see the OP's first Lizst performance before the end of this decade. cool

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Mmm... just a provocation then?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Let's just say, people have many different ways to get the attention of others...

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
And.. starving lions are note a pretty sight. Please, eat something..

E
E
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Let's just say, people have many different ways to get the attention of others...

Thanks for the warning. Looks like last time around it was a 'threadjacking' and zero forecasted videos. So let us not hold our breaths frown

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,by posting inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Last edited by EM Deeka; 03/10/14 12:03 PM.
T
T
This Lion guy sounds like all talk and no walk. Let's hear you play something instead of all this crap.

T
T
Lion, interesting name "Project Gyro" Are you the spawn of his lineage, that dude Gyro was a wacko here too. Spouting nonsense about how digital pianos will replace acoustic and his "just play" refrain.

No doubt you were inspired by him.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Got a good year of work ahead, what with Chopin Op. 25, Bach's WTC (from the 2014 goals thread) and now the Transcendental etudes.

Eagerly awaiting recording #1!!

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
not required but sure could save a lot of heartache and wasted time. I felt the same way years ago about playing golf but got sick and tired of hurting my back and never breaking 100. haha. Good luck & have fun!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sounds like your mind is made up. So...what response are you looking for exactly? A debate? Agreement? Admiration of your superior ability and technique? Go for it! Meanwhile we will await your impending virtuoso performance. sleep

It's already been proven that a teacher isn't necessary but is certainly an asset to learning piano.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by EM Deeka

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,by posting inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

People.... People... Don't feed the proudly established Troll....

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
T
Starving Lion, I'll make a bet with you that you won't even bother posting for 4 Sundays in a row.

how's $100 or is that even too rich for your starving self.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission