2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
I was reading another thread that was talking about the Garritan Steinway piano library and it made me want to check their site out as I hadn't visited it in a while.

This was what I found

http://www.garritan.com/cfx-concert-grand-coming-soon/

I am surprised at this because usually when I see these types of companies do a Yamaha piano it's usually a C7, or they do an older model piano.

I know Yamaha has already sampled it's own CFX for their silent pianos and the CP4, but I wonder if this library will do a better job at it than Yamaha themselves.

Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
Just thought I'd let everyone know that after three months Garritan has put up some audio demos of this product on the same website. As well as a video that shows the miking process.

http://www.garritan.com/cfx-concert-grand-coming-soon/

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
That sounds very promising! Any idea when it'll be available?

Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
That sounds very promising! Any idea when it'll be available?

I signed up for the mailing list to be emailed more info about the product including when it might be released. That was back in November of 2013. However, I've yet to get an email from them.

Last edited by Tyruke; 03/04/14 04:53 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
This would be very interesting..The yamaha sound is pretty awesome.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
P
P
Definitely very interesting! Thanks for the info...

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I've wanted a great Yamaha virtual piano for a long time. The Ivory II C7 leaves plenty to be desired. But it is going to be hard for me to trust Garritan after they REPEATEDLY promised and then failed to deliver an upgrade to the Garritan Authorized Steinway for several years before finally discontinuing it. I vowed not to buy anything from them again and if it had been another Steinway that would have been easy to do. But I'll probably break down and give them another chance for a CFX. The Ravenscroft demo's sound poor to me (I wouldn't buy for a good demo, but a bad demo turns me off) so I guess this CFX will be my next purchase.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi Macy,

I too could be interested in a good Yamaha, so far the only one I like is Alicia's Keys but the playbility is really poor in my opinion. I have a question. Does GAS use iLok? Also, has the Steinway included in Finale 2014 anything to do with GAS (which I gather is not for sale anymore, right?)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Hi Macy,

I too could be interested in a good Yamaha, so far the only one I like is Alicia's Keys but the playbility is really poor in my opinion. I have a question. Does GAS use iLok? Also, has the Steinway included in Finale 2014 anything to do with GAS (which I gather is not for sale anymore, right?)

GAS does not use the iLok. It is not for sale anymore. I don't know anything about the Steinway in Finale 2014. I don't like the piano/sampling of Alicia's Keys. I've discussed some of those issues in previous posts.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
WOW !! Sounds very very Good

10.000 clowns on a rainy day
Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
I am impressed by the fact that they wanted to sample the Yamaha CFX. Doesn't everybody else usually sample a Yamaha C7? I always wondered why that was. (like why no other Yamaha flagships were sampled for vsts)

Last edited by Tyruke; 03/06/14 06:49 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Tyruke
I am impressed by the fact that they wanted to sample the Yamaha CFX. Doesn't everybody else usually sample a Yamaha C7? I always wondered why that was. (like why no other Yamaha flagships were sampled for vsts)
I figured others sampled the C7 because they were commonly available in recording studios. A state of the art CFX sampling is a very exciting prospect indeed.

Macy

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
This makes me happy ...

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is intriguing!

I was poking around the Garritan (and the MakeMusic) websites and found a press release:

See:

http://www.makemusic.com/press-room/press-releases-2014/

In the press release, they indicate that the CFX will be available as a download for $249.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
P
P
The high price is a little disappointing, but I'm still very interested.

Also interesting is that it will run on "Aria player". Has anyone any experience with it?
I hope it will be better than the the UVI player of VI Labs pianos....

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by PtJaa
The high price is a little disappointing, but I'm still very interested.

Also interesting is that it will run on "Aria player". Has anyone any experience with it?
I hope it will be better than the the UVI player of VI Labs pianos....

agree it sounds a bit richly priced but i guess they deserve first mover advantage for working up a CFX sample set and also recording 3 mic positions.

I have the GAS, and while i never really liked its sound much, i did think the Aria player was fairly easy to use as a standalone or plug-in. i think the aria player is superior to Kontakt's player (as is (IMO) Ivory's Cantabile player).

Last edited by bfb; 03/07/14 09:47 AM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
P
P
Thanks for the information. I hope they release it soon. Also, hope it will implement necessary features like half- and re-pedalling.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, that price has me thinking twice about it.

I like the sound of the demo a lot but I don't think I'd get it for $249.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I wonder if you're gonna need the ilock for the Garritan CFX samples... frown

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Would be exciting to see how this compares to the new ravenscroft by VI labs..

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission