2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Of course! and I feel the same way when I share something big here... smile It's only natural. I mean we've spent SO much time together on line (and soon in Lisbon, for those getting there (perhaps me as well)...

M
M
Congratulations for winning a major competition in Finland!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations!

I missed the broadcast. Can we still see it somewhere?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
V
V
Originally Posted by wouter79
Congratulations!

I missed the broadcast. Can we still see it somewhere?

Exactly what I was going to say.

Having heard some of the competitors play, I know that the level of the competition must have been high.

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations!

Your intuition that it might be a rare chance to do the Prokofiev turned out to be not only right but very successful!

J
J
Congratulations!
Prok 5 is nice indeed, (although I really like that Englund is played as well)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Way to go, Martin!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Thank you everyone!!! Was so much fun playing this piece, though I was very nervous throughout the first two movements. The radio broadcast is now in the archives for a month or so, and its possible to hear it from outside of Finland too.

Day 1

http://areena.yle.fi/radio/2129364

(Beethoven 3 plus two Liszt 1)

Day 2

http://areena.yle.fi/radio/2130653

(Englund 1, Prok 5, Liszt 1)

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
the video will be up later,too

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I clicked on the "sarja" to get the music to, but there are 3 hours - what times are you at?

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
The first link works fine here !

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your winning the first prize at the competition !!!

And thanks for the links.

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Last week, I did a phone interview for a classical radio station, which is supposed to be broadcasted in less than two hours from now, after 4:15PM finnish time, here:

http://www.radioclassic.fi/

Should be up in the archives later too. Was a bit nervous, no idea how it turned out in the end!

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
>be aware that we were all given ONE rehearsal, lasting less than an hour

Wow. I spend hundreds of hours on getting all things right, I can even spend a full hour with my teacher on the interpretation of a simple piece . And now you have to do this in less than an hour with a complete orchestra. How exactly does that work?

Forgot to answer - basically this scenario is surprisingly normal in piano competitions. Just imagine - six highly different (well, hopefully!) pianists are supposed to play six concerti within two days. Even having selected an 'often performed' concerto can prove difficult if another finalist has chosen it and plays it completely differently - will it confuse the orchestra or not? With a completely unknown piece like Prokofiev 5th, it's a real gamble - what if the conductor hasn't studied the concerto properly, what if the players haven't prepared it? (mind you, they were told who the finalists were - and thus which concerti would be performed - the evening before the rehearsals started) It's enough to put any orchestra, conductor and soloist under some amount of stress, and the fact that things never click everywhere under all of that stress is the reason for why a lot of concerti finals in competitions tend to be somewhat mediocre, in my very personal opinion. Typically, I'd much rather hear a pianists solo recital in the first or second round. However, this turned out to be a very successful gamble for me in all ways - though many in the orchestra was hoping the Prokofiev wouldn't be in the finals, they quickly became enthusiastic about the piece, and the conductor, who is also a pianist (and composer) was super easy to work with, very flexible and incredibly alert the whole time, especially when I was lost. Check the ending of the second movement! I forgot that the sort of Q&A between piano and woodwinds (towards the very last bars) was initiated by the piano, I thought it was the other way around...a somewhat odd silence for anyone that knows the piece, and he stopped conducting, until I realized what was going on and came in, too late. EVERYONE in the orchestra followed. That surely doesn't happen in every competition...

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Here's a link to the interview that got broadcasted today:

https://soundcloud.com/radioclassicfi/pianist-martin-malmgren-in

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by fnork
>be aware that we were all given ONE rehearsal, lasting less than an hour

Wow. I spend hundreds of hours on getting all things right, I can even spend a full hour with my teacher on the interpretation of a simple piece . And now you have to do this in less than an hour with a complete orchestra. How exactly does that work?

Forgot to answer - basically this scenario is surprisingly normal in piano competitions. Just imagine - six highly different (well, hopefully!) pianists are supposed to play six concerti within two days. Even having selected an 'often performed' concerto can prove difficult if another finalist has chosen it and plays it completely differently - will it confuse the orchestra or not? With a completely unknown piece like Prokofiev 5th, it's a real gamble - what if the conductor hasn't studied the concerto properly, what if the players haven't prepared it? (mind you, they were told who the finalists were - and thus which concerti would be performed - the evening before the rehearsals started) It's enough to put any orchestra, conductor and soloist under some amount of stress, and the fact that things never click everywhere under all of that stress is the reason for why a lot of concerti finals in competitions tend to be somewhat mediocre, in my very personal opinion. Typically, I'd much rather hear a pianists solo recital in the first or second round. However, this turned out to be a very successful gamble for me in all ways - though many in the orchestra was hoping the Prokofiev wouldn't be in the finals, they quickly became enthusiastic about the piece, and the conductor, who is also a pianist (and composer) was super easy to work with, very flexible and incredibly alert the whole time, especially when I was lost. Check the ending of the second movement! I forgot that the sort of Q&A between piano and woodwinds (towards the very last bars) was initiated by the piano, I thought it was the other way around...a somewhat odd silence for anyone that knows the piece, and he stopped conducting, until I realized what was going on and came in, too late. EVERYONE in the orchestra followed. That surely doesn't happen in every competition...

Your other thread about your website (which is very nice) reminded me that I wanted to catch this performance of the Prokofiev and had let it slide.

Considering the circumstances, it is amazing, to put it mildly! Actually, simply playing the thing amazes me, it's so challenging. Overall, I quite enjoyed it, even that moment when you got lost and everyone still held it together.

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
thanks for the kind words, wr! Ah, you must refer to this spot towards the end of the first movement...? That particular passage four-bar passage comes like 4-5 times throughout the movement, and its not just in a different key each time but it is also slightly altered almost every time - I knew I was going to mix things up sooner or later wink Luckily I was back on track quite fast!

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by fnork
thanks for the kind words, wr! Ah, you must refer to this spot towards the end of the first movement...? That particular passage four-bar passage comes like 4-5 times throughout the movement, and its not just in a different key each time but it is also slightly altered almost every time - I knew I was going to mix things up sooner or later wink Luckily I was back on track quite fast!

I was thinking of the spot at the end of the second movement that you mentioned a couple of posts up. The call-and-answer thing with the winds that the piano starts, but you said you got it turned around and thought for a moment that the winds were supposed to play first.

Like you said, a listener needs to know the piece pretty well in order to even hear that little glitch, it was handled so well by everyone. I also noticed it because the conductor quickly turned towards you in a way that sort of said "What are you doing?"

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission