2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
R
Hi Petike,

The wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi#MIDI_devices) on MIDI gives an okay description of how it works. (search for "thru") In your case with just a computer and the MP6 you could just use a USB cable. Note that neither the USB cable nor MIDI cables will carry audio signals, only MIDI data.

MIDI Thru is for daisy chaining several MIDI message-consuming devices together. If you had another sound or effects module you wanted to control with your computer, using sequencer software to play sounds on your MP6 and sound module simultaneously, you might then look at purchasing & plugging a USB/MIDI adapter into your computer and connecting it up with MIDI cables as follows. Your computer's MIDI Out to MP6's MIDI In, and MP6's MIDI Thru (which is an exact copy of the MIDI In signal it receives from computer) to the sound module's MIDI In, and MP6's MIDI Out back to the computer's MIDI In to carry the notes you probably want to play to the sequencer to record them. The MP6's MIDI Out does not copy the messages it receives in its MIDI In. It's old current-loop point-to-point network technology but its a standard and we should be thankful that we have one, I suppose. Sound modules, which don't generate note information, generally only have MIDI Thru, not MIDI Out.

But in your case you just want to play virtual (VSTi) instruments on your computer so you should be able to get by with a USB cable (like the one that comes with printers) from MP6's "USB to HOST" to the computer.

Unfortunately the sound from your computer can't come directly back to the MP6 because it doesn't have audio line in like some other boards. You could buy a mixer if you wanted to hear it all live and balanced, or just use free software 'Audacity' to record the computer sound and then combine it afterwards in Audacity with the MP6 instrument by opening a second track of your MP6's wav recording, synchronising them (a bit fiddly but possible), and exporting as a single track. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Rapmaninov; 09/21/13 01:38 PM.
R
R
Still interested to hear from anyone who has tried to play general midi files with their MP6, as per my first post. Thanks.

This will really help me decide whether to get the MP6 over the ES7.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rapmaninov, due to the larger sound set, the MP6 will probably play MIDI files more accurately (in terms of mapped instruments) than the ES7.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P
Originally Posted by Romek

As for the mixer, I use Behringer Xenyx 802 with 4 inputs (probably you were offered the same thing) and I do not recommend it. It is very basic, and I am not happy with the sound, which is of much lower quality when compared with the sound directly from the soundcard. . I don't complain much, it was on sale wink . Furthermore, there was an annoying buzz in one of the channels and I had to use a hum killer to get rid of it. I don't know if it was the mixer that caused this noise, anyway it took me a while to figure out how to manage this. I cannot recommend anything else in terms of mixers (this is not my field) but I am sure there are much better performing ones than mine which will not ruin your budget

From your comment, Behringer Xenyx 802 seems to sound not very good, but from comments from Amazon ( Behringer Xenyx 502 and Behringer Xenyx 802 ) it seems to sound fine (mainly Behringer Xenyx 502, which I think about to buy it). Strange smile

Petike
Well, it is only my opinion based on personal preferences. The best way is to try it live (or both of them) and then decide which one to buy.

Good luck!

W. Hoffmann V120/Vario
KAWAI ES-8
Hello,
maybe a little off-topic question, but I live in a flat and my neighbor, living below me, argued about the noise of my Kawai MP6.

So now I play just using my headphones and stopped using external speakers while playing. The problem is, that just the key clicks seem to be too noisy.

As a piano stand, I use one from Konig and Meyer company (http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Keyboard-stands/Keyboard-tables/18950-TABLE-STYLE-KEYBOARD-STAND-black) and the stand is placed on a carpet.

Do you have any suggestions which could force my Kawai MP6 to sound as quiet as possible (for example thicker carpet, or to place something else between the Kawai MP6 and the piano stand)?

Thank you.

Last edited by Peter Sivák; 10/09/13 05:19 AM.

Peter Sivák
I had a Yamaha CLP 250 which was just like yours; noisy even with headphones! She thought there was vermin in the loft, or something. . . there are quieter keyboards. But it depends on how hard you hit it!

If you`re able to expose the keybed, it might be possible to replace/add some felt or other material to deaden the sound. Best of luck! Nobody needs bad neighbours . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
The MP6's keyboard action is already one of the quietest available, so it may be difficult to reduce the volume further.

However, an extra layer of carpeting below the stand, or some absorbent material between the MP6 and stand may help.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by peterws
If you`re able to expose the keybed, it might be possible to replace/add some felt or other material to deaden the sound.

No way smile , I bought my Kawai MP6 2 months ago, so I will not open it manually smile , because that would break the warranty. But thanks anyway for your suggestion smile .

Peter Sivák
Originally Posted by Kawai James
However, an extra layer of carpeting below the stand, or some absorbent material between the MP6 and stand may help.

So I will try to add some "layers" between the MP6 and the stand, and between the stand and the floor and I will see.

Thank you for your answer.

Peter Sivák
Originally Posted by Peter Sivák
So I will try to add some "layers" between the MP6 and the stand, and between the stand and the floor and I will see.

I cannot guarantee that this will completely eliminate the sound that you are hearing, however it may help to reduce additional vibrations that contribute to extraneous noises.

Kind regards,
James
x

I compared the noise level of my MP6 and W.Hoffmann V120. Please note that this was not a professional measurement whatsoever, I just used a mobile app. The loudest noise of ff for the MP6 was +25dB over the noise level and +35dB for an acoustic (with the silent mode on). I sold my Yamaha p-85 but I can tell that it produced much louder thumping noises than the MP6. Anyway, I woke up my kids several times playing the MP6 at night. As for my acoustic, it is placed far away from the children's room wink.

All the best,
Romek

W. Hoffmann V120/Vario
KAWAI ES-8
D
D
I must ask, how is the organsound in the MP6? I like the sound of the organ in the nord electro 3.

Originally Posted by Romek
I compared the noise level of my MP6 and W.Hoffmann V120. Please note that this was not a professional measurement whatsoever, I just used a mobile app. The loudest noise of ff for the MP6 was +25dB over the noise level and +35dB for an acoustic (with the silent mode on). I sold my Yamaha p-85 but I can tell that it produced much louder thumping noises than the MP6. Anyway, I woke up my kids several times playing the MP6 at night. As for my acoustic, it is placed far away from the children's room wink.

All the best,
Romek

My current solution for now is to play my Kawai MP6 only from 10:00 to 20:00. I told my neighbor below me to knock on my door when he will still be annoyed by that key-click sound also in the day. I hope, I will never see him again in my life, damn ultra-sensitive neighbor smile .

Peter Sivák
J
J
Just got my new MP6. Terrible user manual. Thank you HisKidd for starting this thread. Kawai should pay you. I'll definitely be combing over the posts in the coming days, since the MP6 doesn't sound or feel so great out of the box.

Kawai MP6 Stage Piano
JBL LSR305 Monitors
Congrats jaymes677!

I'm inclined to agree - the MP6 manual is pretty terrible. It was largely an updated version of the MP5 manual, which was an update of the MP4 manual, etc.

Fortunately, the instrument itself is very good, however.

Cheers,
James
x

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
jaymes677

One of the wonderful things about the MP6 is that it is so tweak able. You can get the sound you want by adjusting the various parameters. I have learned after three years that the piano sounds are better without adding the ex effect. Just adjusting the various voices, normal, mellow1, mellow2, bright1, bright2 and dynamic will result in some beautiful sounds that sound natural and not as "metallic."

I've never really understood what's not to like about the MP6 sounds. I have tried Pianoteq's sample offering, and I much prefer the MP6 sounds.

You can adjust the "cutoff," and "attack" for brightness, and the reverb depth and delay to your own preferences. Just experiment, it's user friendly.

Lot's of bang for the buck with this board. It's hard to find a bad review anywhere, and a number of professional musicians are using the MP6 as their gigging board.
It compares very favorably with keyboards costing much more. I really believe it has staying power.

If you want a great understanding of the various parameters, download James' MP11 manual and read the section explaining the various adjustments for the "Virtual Tech." He did a great job explaining how each parameter effects the sound.
Much of what he wrote will help you understanding your fine tuning of the MP6!

Congrats!
H.K.

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
J
J
Thanks. Where would I find this MP11 manual?

Kawai MP6 Stage Piano
JBL LSR305 Monitors
H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
jaymess677…

This link should get you to the manual:
https://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/manuals/pdf/MP11_EN_20131211_R101.pdf

You can save it to your computer as a pdf document. Start at page 40 (Editing),
and read through those pages including the virutal tech information. You will come across terms you're familiar with from use with the MP6. Our own Kawai James has worked on the manual, so in addition to what you read, you have the option of asking him questions here in the forums. Just address your question to "James" in your reply, and he will answer at his first opportunity.

There are a number of forum members who are using or have used the MP6, so you will likely be able to receive answers for a specific question from them as well.

Play On!
H.K.

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
Please bear in mind that the MP6 operation is very different to that of the MP11, so I'm not sure how useful the latter model's owner's manual will be in learning about the MP6.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission