2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 31 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31
L
L
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Hi Lance, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Well, from what you say I gather that Ravenscroft and True Keys have similar loading times, which is a good news in itself, given it's bigger. My purpose was not to compare TK o a digital piano, and some of the big libraries I have for kontakt (I have many) do take long to load. But Ivory II (which has a proprietary engine, but comes with Cantabile) manages to compete with my digital piano, I don't know how they have managed at Synthogy but they have done it. I do agree that quality has a price also in terms of loading times, but I think many would also be ready to pay the additional amount of money that developing a proprietary engine entails, if that cuts loading times dramatically (to be honest sometimes when I have to choose between Ivory and TK I choose the first to avoid waiting 30 seconds... but I still play TK often, so it doesn't put me off too much).

I also have a question, since we are here for technical questions as well. In Ravenscroft there are 4 mic positions vs 3 in TK. But the size is almost double. So I guess that additional mic position doesn't explain all. So what are the main drivers behind the increase in size, more velocity layers? Other elements? Even if you do not disclose the exact amount, can you tell us a bit more about what makes Ravenscroft bigger? Thank you

Hey digitalguy, I'm happy to answer those questions. First of all, sorry for the misunderstanding about comparing software to hardware. I'm sure you understand all the differences and as you say, you've many Kontakt instruments that take a while to load. There are always trade-offs to be made, so we're looking for the best balance of performance and sampling depth but without ridiculous load times. Developing a proprietary engine takes tens of thousands of dollars and a long period of R&D and all the subsequent testing, so this is unfortunately out of many company's range. And there are many benefits to using an already-developed mature engine such as NI or UVI compared to starting from scratch. We could have a great realistic VI piano, but if it's crashing all the time and causing other problems, what's that worth?

The size for the Ravenscroft VI is 35GB. We recommend 4GB of system RAM, but it only uses 600MB of RAM for a single mic patch, 800MB for the full patch. Loading additional mics, una corda, etc. uses more RAM but only slightly more than TK. It's technically the same as TK in having 4 mic positions--Ravenscroft has 4 discreet while TK has 3 plus an additional Mix which is the 4th (separate samples). The larger size comes from more velocity layers, more release and half-pedal samples, longer sustains (the Ravenscroft has an unbelievable sustain with multiple blooms/evolutions occurring as it sustains), and more samples for the new features such as Muted Strikes. But the bulk of it is more layers and longer samples due to the sustaining energy of the piano.

I'm currently going through the MIDI of Ruslan playing at NAMM and will get that posted later today. We're posting new demo videos too like we did for TK, so be on the lookout for those as well as more audio demos. We're on track to get this baby out tomorrow the 4th!

Lance @ VI Labs
www.vilabsaudio.com
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Lance, I'm curious about your terminology: Ravenscroft used for, well, Ravenscroft and TK for the other pianos. Are not all 4 pianos TK and if not, what is different about Ravenscroft?

As a supplement, if I may, are there any plans to upgrade the Italian, American and German in any way and if so, would upgrades be chargeable?

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Thanks Lance,
That makes sense, I was not aware that developing a proprietary engine was such a big investment. So, fair enough.
Also good to know Ravenscroft is 35 and not 38 GB (this way I can fit it in my SSD with 36.9 GB left together with TK, though it will fill it up almost completely...).
I don't know if this would at be feasible in the future, but it would be great if one could install mic positions separately. Personally I use the side position almost exclusively and would be great if one could decide to uninstall the positions they don't like or the lite patches if they don't use them, to save space on disk. I see RAM as less of a problem, as doubling the RAM is relatively cheap and easy today, compared to doubling SSD for instance, especially on notebooks (the price difference between a laptop say with 256 SSD and 512 SSD is much bigger than between a laptop with 4 or 8 GB of RAM, all else being equal.
Good to know there are more velocity layers and longer sustain. It will be interesting to compare it with ACD, which has an extremely long sustain and no less than 20 layers. I, and certainly others, will report our feedback on this forum.

Last edited by Digitalguy; 03/03/14 10:44 AM. Reason: sentence edited

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sandalholme
To answer the 2 questions about TK Italian. I struggled to get decent sound from this - whereas the TK American and German worked well immediately - but perseverance paid off. For quite some time I blended the TK pianos with the native Kawai ES7 sounds, but now I can really enjoy the Italian on its own. I believe I am quite picky with sound, being a hi-fi buff, formerly played the harpsichord as well as playing/owning various grand pianos over the last half century. This pickiness extends to having different settings for playing direct through the ES7 speakers, a separate one for recoding to play through the hi-fi and another "revoicing" for Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven through the ES7 speakers.

You do have to work to match a s/w piano for your particular hardware. Having done so, I am very happy playing the Italian: it has a wonderful sound across the range, not as uniform (bland?) as the American and the implementation of the una corda is better than the American and German, so you really do have a wider dynamic range. It also takes a bit more playing - reminds me of how you have to adapt your approach with grands that are better than your own. The German by the way has its own character, much darker and feels more like an acoustic grand in its imperfections. In other words you have to work out how to bring out the best in it. I don't feel the need to add the Ravenscroft to my armoury, sorry VILabs! The Italian suits me just fine and I spend many hours just playing it with great enjoyment.

Thank you, this is really good to hear. I'm actually just trying to upgrade from my Roland RP301 so I think the bar isn't even that high for me (besides just wanting the best that's available at a competitive price).

While a beautiful piece, perhaps the "Un Sospiro" isn't the best for showing off detail. If anyone has a specific request along with someone that can perform a demo beautifully, say a Brahms or Chopin, we'd love those suggestions. We have many more audio demos planned and these requests will be helpful.

Thanks for providing all this information. For Brahms I would say that pretty much any piece from Opp. 76, 79, 116-119 would be useful. For Chopin I think there are lots of possibilities and the nocturne used for the TK German sample was a good one (Op. 27 no. 1). Most of the nocturnes would display the type of sounds that I would want to hear.

Last edited by Pathbreaker; 03/03/14 11:34 AM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Lance VI Labs

While a beautiful piece, perhaps the "Un Sospiro" isn't the best for showing off detail. If anyone has a specific request along with someone that can perform a demo beautifully, say a Brahms or Chopin, we'd love those suggestions. We have many more audio demos planned and these requests will be helpful.

Chopin op 53
Chopin op 20 and 39
Rachnaninov op 23 nr 2
Liszt - Paganini Etude nr 6

While that pieces may seems to you "too obvious", I put them here on purpose. You know - the problem with digitals, is that we can hear very often something from the middle, something from up, little from bass. All of these covers all keybord ranges in all possible manners on combining lows, mids and bass together. All of them have detailed pedaling, where you have long pedals and precise unpedaled note. Staccatos and legatos. These are demanding pieces for digital piano engines, so if you are not scared - go with them. There are lot more of them, but you know, these are also well known so will be fantastic to hear.
Also Danse-Macabre transcribed by Liszt, La Campanella, Scriabin's sonata nr 19, Ravel's La Valse - unfortunately - quite to long just for piano test sound. Also last two fragments from Pictures from Exibition, Scriabin Etude 8/12, Romeo&Juliet by Prokofiev - famous Monteki&Capuleti.

All of these are full blown piano capabilites pieces, and we want here the Ravenscroft at it's best and most demanding piano pieces smile

L
L
Hey Digitalguy, it's been brought up in the past to offer separate files for the various mic positions, but that again is more cumbersome that how it might seem especially in regards to iLok management and updates. I do see your point though. Again to use Ivory as a reference, the American D on my Windows system shows it taking about 45GB, and I've no option to install a lighter version. It's an entire sample library, and most any sampled software piano I've used works this way. EWQLP allows installing each piano separately, but I don't remember further separate installations for single mics only. Again though with all that said, it is something we've considered and might have in the future. As flexible as we can make it to satisfy as many situations as possible is always a good goal. Many producers out there still use old PT rigs with TDM plug-ins and limited memory and CPU, so we're sensitive to those situations too and for those who want to use more than one soft synth at a time.

For the Muse Receptor, they approached us at NAMM this year and it is a possibility that our products can be offered with their systems. I'm not aware of their plans, but it is a possibility I suppose.

Sandalholme made a great point that it does take some work to match a software piano to a particular controller/hardware setup in order to get the best playing experience from it. There is a huge variation in controllers and how they respond, and the acoustic piano is probably the hardest to get right because we're all so accustomed to how an acoustic piano should respond that replicating that with the variety of controllers and software is daunting to say the least. It's much easier to use most any controller to trigger any instrument besides acoustic piano! As the Ravenscroft VI makes its way to customers and we get feedback on what works and what doesn't with various controllers, we'll offer our optimization settings for popular controller models and seek feedback from users on what works best for them with their particular setup.

All the suggestions for classical pieces are duly noted! In the meantime, I can easily set up the Nocturne Op. 27 we have for the German as a Ravenscroft demo. And finally, the Ravenscroft is an exclusive instrument officially licensed and approved by the makers of Ravenscroft pianos, unlike True Keys which were solely produced by VI Labs. It's of course similar to True Keys in many ways but with additional features and the official name and voice. Some features might be applicable to True Keys which would be offered as an update in the future, but no definite plans as of yet.

Lance @ VI Labs
www.vilabsaudio.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks again for your detailed responses Lance!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the response Lance. I am happy to pass on my settings/thought process on how the ES7 works with TK Italian to VILabs, if this is helpful, with one or two recordings if this is useful. I did share them some time back on this forum, but they have evolved since then. However, I think I now have 3 settled configurations for the Italian. As I said above, one for use via the ES7 speakers - about to give another short recital for charity at the end of March with the ES7/Italian and people have been amazed at the sound - one for recording/listening through headphones and one softer voiced for Haydn/Mozart/Beethoven, as I find the open textures and absence of pedal (largely) need a different configuration.

PM me Lance if that might be helpful.

B
B
Hello friends!
First sorry for my english. I bought Ravenscroft 25/02 and saw that the download would be released today for those who have pre orders. I would like to know how do to download?
Thank you very much!

Grand Piano Suzuki AG600/ Kawai VPC1 Piano Controller/ Galaxy Vintage D Piano/ Ravenscroft Piano Sample
B
B
staff, unfortunately the last demo that was added to the site (Ruslan Sirota) showed that the timbre worse instead of better . The sound of the piano became more artificial, very more. It seems purposeful to this change ... I am upset ... I want that tone that rang Sirota, what was more natural than the current ...

Grand Piano Suzuki AG600/ Kawai VPC1 Piano Controller/ Galaxy Vintage D Piano/ Ravenscroft Piano Sample
H
H
Hey, where is my download link? It's 4th of March already now.

Originally Posted by Baldassi
staff, unfortunately the last demo that was added to the site (Ruslan Sirota) showed that the timbre worse instead of better . The sound of the piano became more artificial, very more. It seems purposeful to this change ... I am upset ... I want that tone that rang Sirota, what was more natural than the current ...

It sounds like the new demo may be using more distant mic perspectives "The sound is a blend of Player, Side and a bit of Room mics, no reverb added".

Perhaps the previous youtube version was using more close mics. VI Labs correct me if I'm wrong. It would probably be good to use the same mic perspective settings on both versions so you can listen for any changes to the actual piano sound between the beta and final versions, instead of changes from a different mic perspective being used.

Last edited by chicolom; 03/04/14 11:49 AM.

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I'm wondering the same thing.
I was IN, I dropped OUT, I am now "on the fence" waiting to see...
Did ANYONE get it yet ?
How good/bad is it - beyond the usual new toy euphoria & buyer's remorse ?

Bahh, I am probably going to wait until December anyway.
There will be a seasonal sale, some bug fixes may be in by then.

On a purely TECHNICAL note; I find it difficult to understand why it has to "read buffer" (or whatever the term) the whole thirty odd gigabytes JUST to load the program.
On a 4 Gig RAM machine it isn't going to hold much more than a fraction of it anyway.
29 seconds first time and 22 subsequently, so it seems to retain SOME metadata - 12.5 on Mac, so Windoze file system probably gets in the way - a LOT !

My database background is peeking through, but unless the sample library has been redistributed since the last time I don't see a need to read it "all", whatever indexes or other metadata was built at installation time SHOULD still be around and useable.
Even if(WHEN) Windoze RE-frags files.

I have VERY mixed thoughts about this - and a LOT MORE technical doubt following Lance's posts.
It SEEMS as if the wrong player ("engine" ? :D) has been chosen, but there is acknowledgement that it would CO$T a few person months to develop one from scratch - Free being worth every penny, etc.

Last edited by R_B; 03/04/14 11:56 AM.
B
B

Does VI Labs will not meet the delivery date of Ravenscroft for today? So far I have not received anything ... I'm perplex with this piano...I'm thinking that will be a disappointment...

Last edited by Baldassi; 03/04/14 01:44 PM.

H
H
Still not at all sold on any sampled piano. For example, Ivory American Concert D sounds recorded, has noticeable latency (event at low buffer numbers), noticeable layering, and poor note decay. Far worse are the East West pianos, which are so uneven and unresponsive as to be almost unplayable at any high level. When I play Pianoteq, there's extremely low latency, 127 or so velocity layers (which are not really detectable), and outstanding note decay, not to mention low CPU hit, low RAM usage, and limitless tweakability. Further, every note you play on PT is perfectly and evenly responsive to your touch. Try for example the Steinway Spacious setting with Stereophonic output - this is almost as good as their Bluthner under the same settings - and alter the touch curve to your liking. You can even play decent Mozart (perhaps the ultimate piano test, since his music demands perfection) on PT. I agree PT is not perfect - but it's getting closer and closer. As the race between sampled and modeled goes on, I put my bets on Pianoteq by a large margin. So personally I'm not interested in another sample piano, it's a waste of money if you already have PT, in my opinion.

B
B
The problem of pianoteq is than the timbre sounds like a synthesizer and not a piano, especially in fff. At this point is far worse than samples.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I just want to be able to select modeled or sampled depending on the situation. If the Ravenscroft lives up to the hype (and if we ever see it wink ), that plus PT should be sufficient for my needs.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
H
H
Have you tried voicing it? I generally do not play at fff, but even so I too can hear some unrealism in PT, but it never gets in the way of the music for me, since it's still much better-sounding than any acoustic piano I've ever owned. Possibly some of the overtones and soundboard feedback etc can be adjusted to remove some of what you may not like, but probably not all of it - there is no perfect acoustic piano either. But it is a matter of taste, and your point is valid. For me "synthesizer" is not a bad word, and PT is definitely the wave of the future and can already be used to create many wonderful "new" instruments that can outstrip the acoustic piano in many musically useful ways. I feel that I do not at this stage really understand all it can do ….

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Downloading mine right now.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
B
B
Joy ... I'm already downloading the files ..

Page 14 of 31 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission