2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello,

I have been playing the piano for >8 months now (self taught).
Now I am taking piano lessons, for 1 month, and I got a (kind of) hard piece to learn. It's Op. 55 No.1 Chopin. I am struggling with it for almost 4 days, and I only got the 1st page, without reading, I memorized it... Everytime when I try to play, I get lost because sometimes I have to look at my hands because of the chords. How can I read and play, with making leaps and chords with my left hand? I need to learn this before
march 17!! It has to be perfect. Sorry for my English.

Thank you

,JK

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Be yourself

S
S
Personally I'd memorize lots of it and eliminate reading from the equation.... i tend to do that anyways. That way you're looking at the score and see the c jump or whateverr and you just see ok this is that part. Memorizing small chunks works great

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I get lost after looking down for jumps too. Sometimes I plan when I need to look, and mark the score so I can spot to where I need to look back.

Learner
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by PianoJames
Hello,

I have been playing the piano for >8 months now (self taught).
Now I am taking piano lessons, for 1 month, and I got a (kind of) hard piece to learn. It's Op. 55 No.1 Chopin. I am struggling with it for almost 4 days, I need to learn this before
march 17!!

This piece is grade 7. With only 9 months experience and just over two weeks to learn to play it perfect I would say you are expecting the impossible. What does your teacher say?

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
yea, i've been playing for 9 months and wouldn't try this for years.

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
P
OP Offline
P
2 weeks ago my teacher gave me 'Watchman's Song' Grieg, and he said, that I played it very good. Then I asked for something harder, and he offered me this beautiful piece of Chopin, but before that, he wanted to give me Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. This is really a stretch, actually, but I like that!

, JK

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
depends on whether you are learning simplified versions or not, if you are then no need to worry but if not I would be very concerned.

For example Grieg's Watchman's Song is grade 4, Moonlight Sonata is grade 8, & Chopin's - Nocturne n°1 opus 55 is grade 7. No teacher should be jumping around grade levels like this even if a student want's something harder. As an example of a beginner tackling hard pieces there are people playing Moonlight Sonata after only a year of playing, but they will still be focusing on pieces from their true playing grade. Perhaps you are very gifted, I don't know, but if you are just a typical beginner don't be fooled into thinking you can skip six or seven years of experience by learning only hard pieces. The fundamentals you learn in the early years are important, that's why they are called fundamentals.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What happens on the 17th and when will you be working with your teacher?

Learner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
depends on whether you are learning simplified versions or not, if you are then no need to worry but if not I would be very concerned.

For example Grieg's Watchman's Song is grade 4, Moonlight Sonata is grade 8, & Chopin's - Nocturne n°1 opus 55 is grade 7. No teacher should be jumping around grade levels like this even if a student want's something harder. As an example of a beginner tackling hard pieces there are people playing Moonlight Sonata after only a year of playing, but they will still be focusing on pieces from their true playing grade. Perhaps you are very gifted, I don't know, but if you are just a typical beginner don't be fooled into thinking you can skip six or seven years of experience by learning only hard pieces. The fundamentals you learn in the early years are important, that's why they are called fundamentals.

I'm not a Christian but Amen to that!

Be yourself

P
OP Offline
P
My teacher gave me the piece in feb 24, in march 10 I have another lesson from him, I want to learn this piece before march 10. Tommorow i have an appointment with my private teacher, for the first time! But, I am doing fine now with the piece, it's far from impossible.

,JK

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Jk, Its been said, "If you can hear the music in your head, you can play it on the piano."

Enjoy the process!

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission