2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Frankly, it seems to be no big deal to have containers of pianos, or any other consumer product for that matter, shipped to and from far flung locations. We take the fact that they must move thousands of miles over land and sea for granted.....until something like this happens. From the latest Music Trades:

[Linked Image]

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Do people ship a piano by boat these days? I think air freight is less than 2000 from Europe to the us.

So lets say it's only 500 to ship by boat, is it worth the 2 month wait, temperature and humidity changes on the piano?

Maybe when Tahoma ships 400 pianos to the USA they ship it by boat because then it adds up. They are insured. No big deal.

B
BDB Offline
B

Semipro Tech
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by noambenhamou
Do people ship a piano by boat these days? I think air freight is less than 2000 from Europe to the us.

So lets say it's only 500 to ship by boat, is it worth the 2 month wait, temperature and humidity changes on the piano?

Maybe when Tahoma ships 400 pianos to the USA they ship it by boat because then it adds up. They are insured. No big deal.

Depending on what piano models were on the ship, $2000 could add 40% to the price of the piano. (Price list)

Poetry is rhythm
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Yes sea containers go to the bottom every day. For example, just from today's news:

[Linked Image]

Our law firm advises on international trade issues, so we're constantly contacted by shippers or consignees who wanted to save a few dollars, skipped buying the cargo insurance, and now want to know who they can sue when their goods go to Davy Jones' Locker.

Larry.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by noambenhamou

Do people ship a piano by boat these days?

If I suggested shipping 40-60 upright acoustic pianos air freight from China, Korea, Indonesia, or Japan to Long Beach they'd look at me like I had lost my mind.

Larry.

Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
There are several high end piano manufacturers who use air freight. But depending on how a container is packed and when it is shipped, it could cost as little as $250.00 per piano to cross an ocean(This depends on what size piano you are shipping, of course... and what ocean). Temperature controlled container shipping is available.

Then there is land freight cost, unpacking costs, set up costs, etc., etc. - so nothing is actually cheap.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
C
C
Wonder if these pianos will show up on the "Gray Whale" market?

Will Steinway now "CONSIDER" a discount or will they call these instruments "Steinwas's"

(Maybe I can get a DEAL!!!)

Charlie

"rookie in upstate NY, still looking for an "upright" *friend*"

Last edited by Chazarama; 02/24/14 07:37 PM.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
There are several high end piano manufacturers who use air freight. But depending on how a container is packed and when it is shipped, it could cost as little as $250.00 per piano to cross an ocean(This depends on what size piano you are shipping, of course... and what ocean). Temperature controlled container shipping is available.

Then there is land freight cost, unpacking costs, set up costs, etc., etc. - so nothing is actually cheap.

Rich

$250?

Isn't that even a bit on the high side?

A container of 30 pianos costs $7,500 to ship???

Maybe your decimal point is off by a space.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by iLaw

Our law firm advises on international trade issues, so we're constantly contacted by shippers or consignees who wanted to save a few dollars, skipped buying the cargo insurance, and now want to know who they can sue when their goods go to Davy Jones' Locker.

Larry.

Is there anyone to sue, or is it written into the contract that the shipper has no liability? (or is it some other legal situation).

Last edited by phantomFive; 02/25/14 04:26 AM.

Poetry is rhythm
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by iLaw

If the insurance companies formula are correct and you do A LOT of shipping, then maybe it's tiny bit cheaper to lose a container every now and then instead of paying for insurance.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
This explains the inspiration for La cathédrale engloutie.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Yes Marty!

It is common knowledge that Debussy had an international shipping business on the side. wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
M
M
As I explore options to import a piano to South America (specifically to Quito, Ecuador), I wonder how wise (or unwise) it would be to consider shipping in a container via sea freight.

I was not aware of the availability of temperature controlled containers, which perhaps adresses one of my concerns regarding exposure to abrupt changes in temperature. Having said that, I would still be quite worried about the effects of relative humidity, which I assume would be quite high right above the ocean. Are these temperature controlled containers also good at controlling humidity?

For that matter, how about when shipping by air freight? Are airplane cargo areas maintained at reasonable temperatures and humidity levels?

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Miguel,

For a single piano, there are other options than container shipping by sea. That would be a cargo vessel rather than a container vessel.

When shipping by air-freight, the cargo hold is kept at reasonable temperature. Consider that live animals are transported by air. For the few hours that a plane would be in flight, the RH level is of little importance.

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Yes Marty!

It is common knowledge that Debussy had an international shipping business on the side. wink

I remember now; Aristotle Debussy. Didn't he marry someone famous?

grin

Marty in Minnesota

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by MiguelAngel07

As I explore options to import a piano to South America (specifically to Quito, Ecuador), I wonder how wise (or unwise) it would be to consider shipping in a container via sea freight. ... For that matter, how about when shipping by air freight? Are airplane cargo areas maintained at reasonable temperatures and humidity levels?

Miguel,

When you're deciding on the piano, this is a serious discussion that you will want to have with the seller, who presumably will have experience shipping their most expensive grand pianos to South America. If you get the sense that they don't have previous experience, you will want to investigate freight forwarders until you find one who does.

Based on Rich's earlier comment, I did a quick ocean manifest search and confirmed what he had said. Without getting into names, there are tier 1 piano manufacturers who ship their instruments by ocean freight and ones who appear not to do so (I don't have access to air cargo manifests). My guess is that, regardless of whether air or ocean is chosen, picking the right carrier, packaging, container, routing, surface transportation at each end, etc. is key. You will not want to be relying upon transportation providers who have never had to deal with a $100,000+ piano before.

Oh, and don't skip on the cargo insurance.

Larry.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Chazarama
Will Steinway now "CONSIDER" a discount or will they call these instruments "Steinwas's"

SteinWaters

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Did someone mention beer?

How 'bout Essogs?

Marty in Minnesota

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Miguel, if time is no limit, you should rely on an internationally experienced piano!!! transportation company which has experiences with the US customs and also with the Ecuadorian customs.

First I would ask the technicians of the biggest Ecuadorian concert hall: which is your piano freight forwarding company?

The other chance is to rely on international "project freight forwarders" like I know in Europe HansaMeyer Freight Forwarders in Vienna. They will transport (ORGANIZE the transport..) for nearly every good from nearly any point of the globe to another point.

If you want to transport the chinese tripod from top of Mt Everest to the South Pole - ask HansaMeyer or their colleagues of a Transportation Organizing Expert Company. They know the most experienced local transportation companies allover the world and will put them together so that it will function for your purpose.

For some money, of course.

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission