2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
For me it's the Steinway ... 1) sound quality, 2) sound variability in the time 3) depreciation/valorization

www.1001pianos.com - download free piano mp3

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
And, the battle has been raging since 2008! The new Yamaha CFX is no longer the same instrument (CFIIIS) as it was four years ago.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The CFX is a completely different beast, with a much bigger range of color (especially when pushed hard) compared to its predecessor CF-IIIS.

Having played it quite a number of times, to me (and seemingly also quite a few professional classical pianists - including long-established Steinway Artists), it is a valid alternative to the Steinway D in the concert hall, able to project itself over big orchestras as well as in its own right in piano recitals. In comparison, the CF-IIIS sounds somewhat insipid and colorless.

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
BDB Offline
B
For me, it remains to be seen. I have a venue which has received its D, but is waiting for its CFX. So I will get the direct comparison. There is a DC6 there, which needs some set-up, needing to be voiced down. This is the difference. Steinways need to be voiced up, while Yamahas need to be voiced down. The results depend on how that is done.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Regarding Yamaha's "discontinuation" of certain models, it is my understanding that this is NOT a bad thing. I had learned that there are/were a group of piano technicians that reported to work each day (in Hammamatsu, Japan) in search of producing a "better product". Each year at NAMM, "new" acoustic pianos were unveiled as "replacemnt models".

So, it does not surprise me in the least to hear of yet another "new" Yamaha 9' concert grand piano.

Paul

Retired Industry Professional
E
E
"The Steinway is more likely to attract a better calibre of visiting musicians."

I think there is a lot of truth to this. While in a lot of regards the two pianos may offer a similar quality of playing experience, with some differences, at the end of the day one of them is a Steinway and one is not. It is my opinion that these are the two categories of pianos, Steinways and everything else.

K
K
Ironically I came across a similar situation to the original post a couple of years ago. The college in question was located in South East London and the young musicians concerned reaching grades 7 and 8 (the most dedicated ones only of course) before graduating.
This college went with the Yamaha. This was an excellent piano to use for teaching : very well maintained. Acoustically it suited its recital room very well indeed. Understandably it was the only concert grand the college possessed.

The issue with the students was psychological. They simply did not equate a brand such as "Yamaha" as being in the same league as "Steinway and Sons". When shown musical challenges substantially beyond their current levels of attainment and seeing how well the Yamaha responded, questions such as "Wow : I would love to hear that on a Steinway" would be made. The more dedicated students were always hopping "over the fence" to another institution where the occasional time on smaller Steinways could be obtained. In their minds there was simply no doubt that they were returning to "second best".

Of course, the fact that this big black beast was an instrument for them to realise their music and improve technique was made, but I could see this was not really getting through.

I believe the psychology of all of this does have a very direct bearing on such situations, today of course the student is the "customer" and they must be satisfied.

Steingraeber E-272 and Walcker pipe organ
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJB
The English like few things better than baiting Americans about history. Disgraceful. The English sardonic or dry humour is often not grasped or appreciated by our friends across the pond. And double standards abound.

At present I am involved in a corporate transaction with some American gentlemen who are seeking to invest in a controlling share in a little business in Europe.

I had dinner with six of them just before Christmas and we were talking about ancestry. Each of the six was passionate about his European origins. Three claimed Irish ancestry. They were the ones who liked potatoes. Two claimed Italian ancestry. They were the ones who liked pasta. The sixth claimed English descent and he was the one with a sense of humour.

Had one of them had German forbears, I am sure he would have agreed with us that Steinways are in fact German pianos through and through. With maybe a few recent (i.e. 100 years ago) US touches here and there.

With kind regards

Adrian

Adrian,

Did you get your questions answered sufficiently? BTW, I am very fond of a dry British wit.

B
BDB Offline
B
I used to be known as a wit, but now that is only half true.

Semipro Tech
Had one of them had German forbears, I am sure he would have agreed with us that Steinways are in fact German pianos through and through. With maybe a few recent (i.e. 100 years ago) US touches here and there.

Isn't same true for a good proportion of white America?

Norbert wink

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Huh? I know many Germans who happen to be white Americans. I happen to be one of them.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Adrian,

How did it turn out with the Steinway D from Switzerland ???

!!!

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Has Yamaha upgraded their tuning pin design for the CFIII series ?

Last edited by rintincop; 02/24/14 02:02 PM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by rintincop

Has Yamaha upgraded their CFIIIS tuning pin design since 2008?

Don't you mean has Yamaha upgraded their tuning pin design for the CFX? wink

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Adrian, what happened in the end with the piano that everybody gave so much thought to?
It seems unfair to leave this thread without a conclusion.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Adrian, what happened in the end with the piano that everybody gave so much thought to?
It seems unfair to leave this thread without a conclusion.

A 20 month old Hamburg D used in a home. Take a wild guess. That piano was most likely perfect.

But true, it would be nice to have OP verify the final result firsthand.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The homes of the wealthy are where dealers sometimes are able place expensive flawed pianos.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The more I think about it...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I played a D in somebodies home last month and it was not very good, but the owner had no way of knowing. Private homes is where dealers can sell pianos that would not be suitable for a professional setting.

I
I
I played a D in somebodies home last month and it was not very good, but the owner had no way of knowing. Private homes is where dealers can sell pianos that would not be suitable for a professional setting.

Tip:
That is why as a pianist shopping for a piano that is to be place in a home, that he be wary of those trying to bilk him of his money. Practice, and let your fingers tell the salesperson that you are not easily cheated.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission