Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
120 registered members (bennevis, ando, Beemer, anamnesis, Adypiano, anotherscott, ALEXANDER DYKER, Amedeus, beeboss, 31 invisible), 1,308 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand #2151179
09/16/13 10:19 AM
09/16/13 10:19 AM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
Chuck Behm, CPT-E Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Chuck Behm, CPT-E  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA

Hey, all - I'm fitting a new pinblock for a Chickering grand which has what I would call a stepped flange that I need to fit the pinblock to. These may be as common as mud hens in other parts of the country, but it's the first one I've seen here in central Iowa. I'll be rough cutting it to the outer edge, and am assuming the best way to undercut it to the inner edge would be a router. Looking for ideas on how to come up with a tight fit on both top and bottom from anyone who deals with this configuration on a regular basis, or at least who has seen it before. Here's the photos:

The pinblock sections (2 of them) are fastened to the plate from the underside with machine bolts, thus:

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

And here's the configuration of the flange and the edge of the pinblock:

Anyway, I'm headed out to the shop now to do the rough cutting. I'll check in a bit to see if anyone has any words of wisdom. Thanks, Chuck

Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder/Technical Writer
www.pianopromoproductions.com
515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
(ad 800)
PTG Convention
PTG Convention 2018 Lancaster PA
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2151189
09/16/13 10:28 AM
09/16/13 10:28 AM
Surrey, UK
A
Adypiano Online content
Adypiano  Online Content
A
Surrey, UK
You're pretty much down to routing if your replacement plank is one solid piece - I do Bechsteins like that. An alternative would be to make the plank up in two layers - each fitted to the frame, then glue the two parts together - that's m' Blüthner plank method.

All the best - let us know how you get on! smile

Started work at the Blüthner piano re-building workshop in Perivale, UK, in 1989. Self employed since 2000. Learning something new about pianos every day... smile

http://www.hamiltonpianos.com/
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2151199
09/16/13 10:46 AM
09/16/13 10:46 AM
Olympia, Washington
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Del  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted by Chuck Behm
Anyway, I'm headed out to the shop now to do the rough cutting. I'll check in a bit to see if anyone has any words of wisdom.

I don't know about wisdom -- but, from experience I can tell you it goes a lot quicker if you treat these like upright blocks. Route out the area around the tuning pins and install inserts.

Making a whole new block -- actually blocks -- is not all that difficult if you make and fit each in two sections and glue them together. But aligning those original machine screw holes can be a challenge if they weren't originally drilled straight. And they often were not.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Del] #2151204
09/16/13 10:50 AM
09/16/13 10:50 AM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA

That sounds like a great idea, Del. Would you router all the way through the old pinblocks, or stop a bit shy of the bottom?

515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2151251
09/16/13 11:56 AM
09/16/13 11:56 AM
Olympia, Washington
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Del  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Olympia, Washington

That sounds like a great idea, Del. Would you router all the way through the old pinblocks, or stop a bit shy of the bottom?

Stop shy of the bottom. You can actually stop quite a bit shy of the bottom if you want. It's the top half or so of the block that does the bulk of the holding.

In a previous life I made up a batch of 10 (if memory serves) pinblocks using top panels (about 3/4") of thin-ply (about 1/16" -- the company was not metric), rotary-cut maple backed by a slab of laminated poplar borrowed from a grand keybed. The tuners loved them, they life-cycled great and we'd never have dreamed of actually producing them. Our competition would have had a field day!

But they demonstrated the point I was trying to make: If you make a pinblock too hard and too dense you can defeat the purpose of the system. That purpose being a piano that is easily tunable by the average tuner and that will not go out of tune because the tuning pins are often left with a lot of twist in them.

Route to a depth of about 20 to 25 mm (your choice dependent on the thickness of the original block but I like to leave a good bit of the original block in place). Swab down the inside of the original and the outside of the new blocks with liquid epoxy first. Let it soak for a bit and do it again. Then, using a thickened epoxy mix as the adhesive, glue in the insert. I install a series of screws spaced about 75 to 100 mm apart (make sure you locate them between rows of tuning pins) along the outside edges of the insert and use these to provide clamping force when installing the insert. Clean up the squeeze-out and immediately flip the assembly over and fill the tuning pin holes with liquid epoxy. Follow up at intervals until they take no more epoxy. Let the whole thing cure, sand it down to make it look pretty and you're done.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 09/16/13 12:18 PM.

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2151261
09/16/13 12:06 PM
09/16/13 12:06 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B
Oakland
If you do make a new pinblock, you would line up the new holes for the machine bolts with dowel centers.

Semipro Tech
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: BDB] #2151275
09/16/13 12:19 PM
09/16/13 12:19 PM
Olympia, Washington
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Del  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted by BDB
If you do make a new pinblock, you would line up the new holes for the machine bolts with dowel centers.

That actually works when the original holes were drilled square to some surface. These, as noted, often were not.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Del] #2151279
09/16/13 12:24 PM
09/16/13 12:24 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B
Oakland
Originally Posted by Del
Originally Posted by BDB

That actually works when the original holes were drilled square to some surface. These, as noted, often were not.

ddf

However, just like the top part of the block being the part that holds the pins, the top part aligns the block, so the bottom part of the hole can be widened or tapered out to fit the bolts.

Semipro Tech
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Del] #2151309
09/16/13 01:24 PM
09/16/13 01:24 PM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
Thanks, Del, for the detailed instructions. Sounds like a very practical and doable method. I'll shoot photos during the process and post them here when I'm done. Chuck

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2151980
09/17/13 09:18 AM
09/17/13 09:18 AM
Chesterfield. MA
C
Craig Hair Offline
Craig Hair  Offline
C
Chesterfield. MA
In the last year or so, I've gotten to do two Chickering blocks like this. I did mine in two parts because the top section had a canted face. Both points about the bolts are valid. Dowel centers are good for locating the bore. But only where the bore meets the plate. It is a good idea to thread the bolts back into the plate and look for any that lean. If you accomodate any eccenticities in the bore angle, you will be able to do a clean countersinking, which is where the screw does its real work.

What material are you going to use?

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube

Sometimes, all you can hear is the cat snore.
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Del] #2152483
09/17/13 08:53 PM
09/17/13 08:53 PM
lawrence,KS
msks Offline
msks  Offline
lawrence,KS
The two plank method is pretty effective. Final fitting of the flange with thick epoxy paste helps on the 'lower' level. It seems like I remember having to slightly adjust (enlarge) the countersinks for some of the machine bolts.
The action rebuild was a real puzzler...............

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2152551
09/17/13 10:02 PM
09/17/13 10:02 PM
G
Gary Fowler Offline
Gary Fowler  Offline
G
I ship the old block to Schaff and let them deal with it

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Del] #2153365
09/18/13 10:45 PM
09/18/13 10:45 PM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
Hi Del and all - Okay, I'm done with the first step as you suggested - routing out the pin fields. I'm thinking it might be useful to anyone considering doing this procedure to see a few pictures. I wrestled with how to use the router on the narrow width of the pinblock while maintaining control. In the past, I have routered out for pinblock panels on a couple uprights, but there you have the entire face of the pinblock to work with in supporting your router. In the case of the Chickering pinblock, the width was not enough to supply firm support for the router when working out to the sides.

The first step I took to solve this problem was to cut a piece of scrap wood (from a knee board), which I clamped to a workbench to attach the pinblock to, in order to prevent the pinblock from moving while being worked on.

I then screwed the pinblock firmly to the board:

The essential step to making this work was to cut a piece of particle board which would fit down over the pinblock, which could be anchored so that it was flush with the top of the pinfields to be routered out.

I then drew a cut line around the pinfields, and a second set of lines out 3 1/8" from the cut lines, where the guide for the router would be placed. (If possible, draw parallel lines going the long way, and right angles on the ends to make cutting the pinblock panels a lot simpler.)

A framework is then attached to define the outer edge of the cut.

A plunge router is then used to cut the pinfields out. I like to go a maximum of 1/4" per cut until I get to the depth I want.

[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Here's what the completed job looked like, in and out of the framework:

and,

So, I'm now ready to cut the panels from 1 1/4" stock. I'll run them through the planer to get them down to fit into the 1" depth of the routered out pinfields.

Del, one more quetion (if you've read this far). Is there a good, easily available epoxy you would recommend that I could purchase at a hardware store, or do I need to order from a supply house? I very seldom have used any type of epoxy in our shop, so any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks, Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Behm; 09/19/13 08:03 AM.

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2153412
09/19/13 12:09 AM
09/19/13 12:09 AM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
Seattle, WA USA
The "West Systems" two-part epoxy works well for me. If you have a boat repair shop they may carry it or a fine woodworkers store.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2153424
09/19/13 12:39 AM
09/19/13 12:39 AM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
Hey, thanks Ed. We're a bit short on boat repair shops here in central Iowa, but I'll check around and see if it's available. If it's not, I'll go on-line to order. I was just hoping to pick up something I could use this weekend. Best wishes, Chuck

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2153447
09/19/13 01:55 AM
09/19/13 01:55 AM
Olympia, Washington
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Del  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Olympia, Washington
Del, one more quetion (if you've read this far). Is there a good, easily available epoxy you would recommend that I could purchase at a hardware store, or do I need to order from a supply house? I very seldom have used any type of epoxy in our shop, so any suggestion would be welcome.

WEST System is one of the most common and is readily available from boat builders supply companies. Try Jamestown Supply (Google them) or someplace like that. There are others. I use System Three primarily because they are located relatively near where I live. MAS is good. In a pinch I have even used something -- I don't remember the brand -- that I got from Home Depot that worked very well.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2153476
09/19/13 03:38 AM
09/19/13 03:38 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Mark R.  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Pretoria, South Africa
Chuck,

For what it's worth, West System has an online shop locator. According to the website, there's a shop in Clive (West Des Moines):

Woodsmith Stores
10320 Hickman Rd, Clive, IA, USA
800-835-5084

MAS also lists their stores, and I found these:

CEDAR TREE, INC.
421 NW 52nd Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50313
P: 515-243-1845 Cell: 515-480-8189
cedartreeinc@mchsi.com
www.cedartreeinc.com

LORENZ and JONES MARINE DISTRIBUTORS
3402 S.E. Convenience Boulevard
Ankeny, IA 50021
P: 515-964-4205 F: 800-227-1154
Toll Free: 800-247-2408
www.lorenzandjones.com

None of these are exactly on your doorstep, but none are completely out of reach, either.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
LinkedIn profile
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Mark R.] #2153529
09/19/13 07:13 AM
09/19/13 07:13 AM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
"For what it's worth, West System has an online shop locator. According to the website, there's a shop in Clive (West Des Moines): Woodsmith Stores 10320 Hickman Rd, Clive, IA, USA" -- Mark R.

The Woodsmith Store! Half my tools come from that store! Thanks a bunch, Mark - I've been meaning to go there anyway. Plus, my son and daughter-in-law and 2 of our grandkids live 10 minutes from there. I'll make a road trip this weekend!

Thanks again, Mark. I've got to get better about learning to Google things. I'm a slow learner when it comes to the computer! Chuck

P.S. Ed (McMorrow), looking back I see you mentioned "fine woodworking store," which I glanced over while I was still contemplating finding a boat repair shop somewhere in the middle of a cornfield. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Chuck Behm; 09/19/13 07:16 AM.

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Del] #2153549
09/19/13 08:02 AM
09/19/13 08:02 AM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
To all - This is off-topic, I guess, but I just got to say what a terrific thing I think it is to live in an age when collaboration is so easy and helpful - this forum being a prime example.

Back when I began in the business (pre-computer age), I remember how alone I was, and when I ran into a problem there was no one that I could ask for advice. I didn't belong to the guild (didn't even know about it for quite some time), and the other tuners in my area didn't welcome me with open arms, to say the least. When I think of some of the stupid things I did just because I didn't know any better, I just have to laugh. Now, I can just put a question out there and I can get feedback and ideas from some of the best minds in the business - often within a matter of minutes. It's great.

Anyway, back to the procedure at hand, I'm thankful to Del and others for steering me in the right direction on this. And speaking of directions, thanks to Mark R., who lives in South Africa, to point out the location of a store 30 minutes from where I live in Iowa to get the product I need - again, living in this age is an amazing thing!

I don't know if the pictures I'm taking are of any help to anyone, but on the off-chance that they are, I'll keep posting them. I know for myself (being a very visual learner), seeing a photo beats reading a paragraph.

Best of wishes to all, and thanks for everything. Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Behm; 09/19/13 08:09 AM.

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2153555
09/19/13 08:14 AM
09/19/13 08:14 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Mark R.  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Pretoria, South Africa
Only a pleasure, Chuck. I used the store locator just the other day, to see whether I could get some West System products here in South Africa. For me, googling up a supplier is easy, in contrast with piano technology! I benefit immensely from threads such as this, so my earlier post was the least I could do. Glad it helped. smile [Edit: and yes, please keep the pictures coming.]

Last edited by Mark R.; 09/19/13 08:18 AM. Reason: given in post.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
LinkedIn profile
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2153893
09/19/13 04:21 PM
09/19/13 04:21 PM
Sandy Eggo, California
O
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member
OperaTenor  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Sandy Eggo, California
Chuck, please keep posting photos and progress updates.

Yes, it's great to have fellow professionals who are willing to pool their knowledge and experience for the betterment of their peers.

Now I'm just waiting for the day when I can say something of substance...

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: OperaTenor] #2158290
09/26/13 10:02 PM
09/26/13 10:02 PM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
"Chuck, please keep posting photos and progress updates." - Jim Boydston

Hi Jim, Del and all - Here's a few more photos to catch you up-to-date with our Chickering pinblock project. Having gotten this far, I'm convinced that this is the way to go.

Photo 9: Since the pinblocks were routed out for 1" inserts, I had to run pinblock stock through the planer. One advantage of this is that narrow and/or irregular pieces of pinblock stock could be used to make the inserts:

Photo 10: Inserts were then cut to fit:

Photo 11: Using the West Epoxy System, the inserts were glued into place:

Photo 12: The completed bass insert:

Photo 13: and the treble inserts:

Tonight I'm painting them black (as they were originally done) and tomorrow, I'll be drilling them so we can return the plate to the piano.

Thanks Del and all for the information on how to get this done. It was a huge time saver. Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Behm; 09/27/13 06:18 PM.

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2158823
09/27/13 10:26 PM
09/27/13 10:26 PM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
Hi all - Here's one more set of photos documenting the final steps of the process we used for installing new pinblock panels on the Chickering grand in our shop. I really haven't included much in the way of explanation of any of the steps, so if any of you have questions about any of the photos, don't be afraid to ask. This method, I believe, would be great for any grand with a unusual flange profile, as long as the original pinblock was free of dry rot, or separating laminations. Now, the photos:

Photo 14: With the finishing touches done (filling in pinhole on bottom of pinblocks, filling in screw holes used to affix blocks to bench, etc.) the 2 blocks were painted black, as they had been done originally:

Photo 15: The blocks were screwed down to the plate. Dave and I then flipped the plate right-side up on the sawhorses. This particular plate seems to be way heavier than usual - either that or we're getting too old for moving these things around:

Photo 16: With the plate right side up, I use a centering punch to mark the pin holes:

Photo 17: I remove the pinblocks from the plate again, and drill the pin holes on the drill press:

Photo 18: Upside down this time, I screw the pinblocks back in place for the final time. I'm getting too old for this stuff!

Photo 19: Dave uses the hoist to lower the plate into the piano.

Photo 20:The Eagle has landed, and we're done for the week.

That completes the work on the pinblock. Dave will repin and restring the piano, while I work on the keyboard and action. Hope to have it ready to deliver on Sept. 17, since our mover will be here to pick up 2 other pianos for delivery.

Again, any questions don't hestitate to ask. Thanks again to Del and others for the mentoring. Best wishes, all, and have a great weekend! Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Behm; 09/27/13 11:19 PM.

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2158883
09/28/13 01:56 AM
09/28/13 01:56 AM
AZ, USA
Tuneless Offline
Tuneless  Offline
AZ, USA
Oct. 17 ?

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Tuneless] #2158933
09/28/13 06:15 AM
09/28/13 06:15 AM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
"Oct. 17?" - Cynthia

Hi Cynthia - well, it could be Sept. 17, 2014, couldn't it? No, you're right. October 17 my mover is coming to pick up a restored upright we've sold, plus a Chickering spinet we did for a gal in Iowa City. I'd like to have the grand done as well, but I know it's a long shot. I've still got work to do on the spinet as well. Plus, I need to get out and do some tuning to pay the bills. Yikes! Chuck

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2234697
02/20/14 07:35 AM
02/20/14 07:35 AM
Florida, Connecticut
gynnis Offline
gynnis  Offline
Florida, Connecticut
The world really is flat!

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: gynnis] #2234731
02/20/14 09:43 AM
02/20/14 09:43 AM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
The world really is flat! - Gynnis

Dear Gynnis - I have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, but I would like to mention that the piano in question is finally done. I got side-tracked with other projects, and kept putting off the final stages of the job.

If you (or anyone) would like to see the end result, I posted a short video clip on my Facebook page at Behm Piano Service. If you have a look please keep in mind that (1). I am the world's worst piano player, and (2). the recording was made on a $90 point and shoot digital camera with no external mike. So, don't have great expectations.

I did try to post my rendition of "Satin Doll," which I can actually play quite well, but apparently the recording was too long to be able to download onto Facebook. So Molly Malone had to do.

Some day I'll find time to practice the stack of music I have out in the shop! Best wishes, all. Chuck

515-212-9220

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2234773
02/20/14 11:05 AM
02/20/14 11:05 AM
Florida, Connecticut
gynnis Offline
gynnis  Offline
Florida, Connecticut
Chuck, this was an amazing set of photos for an open heart surgery. I'm just starting my 145. Fortunately, the pin block and sound board in mine seem to be good. Just a lot of action work to do. Your's has the same finish.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: Chuck Behm, CPT-E] #2234779
02/20/14 11:10 AM
02/20/14 11:10 AM
Florida, Connecticut
gynnis Offline
gynnis  Offline
Florida, Connecticut
The World is Flat is a book from 2004 about how the internet has flattened the world. It is referring to the fact that traditional hierarchies are disappearing and people are able to collaborate around the world on an individual basis. How far are you from Coon Rapids or Ames? I provided a pipe organ to a church in Coon Rapids (for free) about 25 years ago, and I spent a long hot summer at Ames about 35 years ago.

Re: Fitting Stepped Pinblock to Plate in Chickering Grand [Re: gynnis] #2235168
02/20/14 10:46 PM
02/20/14 10:46 PM
Boone, Iowa, USA
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Boone, Iowa, USA
The World is Flat is a book from 2004 about how the internet has flattened the world. It is referring to the fact that traditional hierarchies are disappearing and people are able to collaborate around the world on an individual basis. - Gynnis

Gynnis - Ah, an obscure literary reference - I like that. I just thought you were pulling a Tristram Shandy on me. Well, I'll try to get it next time.

Boone is 15 miles west of Ames, Iowa, and it's always hot here in the summer. Thus, my shop has two air conditioners which run pretty much all the time from the beginning of July (or earlier) till the end of August (or later). It's also really cold in the winter, which is why I have three heaters which run from about November until the end of March. My electric bill isn't pretty. Chuck

515-212-9220

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Here's the best story I've seen in a while
by Pianolance. 09/18/18 01:02 AM
Kawai CA78: touchscreen and other noises
by oscar9192. 09/17/18 07:58 PM
How do you mark your sheet music?
by schinl. 09/17/18 07:32 PM
Publishers of Alkan
by RmntcPianoLvr. 09/17/18 07:07 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,365
Posts2,746,385
Members91,018
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission