2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hello Piano World,

My name is Ethan and I need help choosing the accessories for a Kawai VPC-1. Here are the specifics.

I'm in my mid 30's and have newly started logging time on my son's NU1. I'm almost finished with the Level 1 coursework.

I'm buying the Kawai Vpc1 controller for my studio (I'm a visual artist working in 3d, animation and compositing)so that I don't interfere with my family and can practice in my study. What I need is information on what additional hardware that I should buy with the Vpc1 - midi hardware, monitors etc. I don't want to buy junk and I don't want to pay out the nose. The system will be in a basement environment.

I have two Win 8 computers that could host the virtual instrument (I think?)

1. Laptop
Gen4 i7 3.3Ghz, 8Gb memory, 500Gb SSD (XPS 12) - I like to use this to read sheet music too so if it will work for both that'd be great.

2. Desktop
6core i7 3.7Ghz, 32 Gb memory, 1Tb SSD (Asus onboard HD audio)
- It will be nearby the piano so I could use this too

So I have several questions.

Will I need a pci audio card? If so what should I pick up to minimize latency.

Will I need a Digital Audio Interface? If So what should I be looking for? Can I run the whole thing via USB? Is there more latency on USB than MIDI?

I'm looking at Yamaha HS5 monitors. Are these acceptable for a small room or too much? Will they recreate enough low tones to accurately model a convincing piano sound? Do I need to buy the sub-woofer as well?

I'm specifically interested in the Galaxy II Vintage D or a German/Vienna grand software to start. I don't really want to buy an iLock and have that thing hanging out of my computers so that's why I was looking at Gallaxy overy Ivory. Is the free software host (what is that called?) sufficient or should I pick up some other kind of software to load the virtual instruments?

I appreciate your help

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- you'll get more replies in the digital piano forum. In short, both your computers are well qualified. I believe there's no discernable difference in additional latency between MIDI and USB so you'd use the USB output of the VPC1 straight into the computer. You don't *need* an audio interface so I would start by just using the free ASIO4all driver which should give you extremely low latency with i7s...you can always pick up an interface if it's not up to scratch. Monitoring is entirely to taste and wallet - I'm happy with mine bass-light so I don't use a woofer.

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the reply DT. I'll post this on the forum you mentioned - also appreciate the input.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission