2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
68 members (Chris069, anotherscott, alaxid, 1957, Anna B., AZNpiano, clothearednincompo, Beowulf, Carey, 1906Weber, 9 invisible), 512 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital #2233921 02/18/14 09:02 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Second batch:

11. Jazzwee - Wave As ever I just love these live performances, so natural, so evocative. I'm not sure if you've submitted a piece with a samba feel before but I loved the vibe. And there's a lot more piano on this than some. Really nice runs, great variety. Awesome. Oh, but I'm intrigued as to your comment about D being a difficult key?

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 These Mazurkas are part of Chopin's work which I think are so difficult to understand and, even harder, make an audience understand. You totally did. And, man does this sound way ahead of it's time. In fact when it started I thought Jazzwee might still be playing. You kept the overall feel solid while performing those wonderful runs. There was a great balance, particularly in the forte moments. Terrific!

13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin I love this piece too and you brought it off very nicely. There is a great calmness but with a hint of passion as needed. The timing was perfect and the dynamic contrasts wonderfully done.

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 This is a great performance. You sound totally controlled which, in this tempo is very commendable for a relative beginner. The phrasing is wonderful with precisely the correct weight to it. Wonderful!

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1 Another superb Mendellsohn piece, another superb performance. I really liked the sense of longing you brought out of some of the phrases from subtle tempo and dynamic shifts. There's a beautiful balance to the piece. Great!!

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro This is a lovely transcription of this song. You really captured the vocal element in it, soaring aloft. It was a well judged tempo - I can't imagine it too much faster so I'm glad you slowed it down. I really enjoyed the tempo shifts, particularly at the end.

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78 This is a great performance of a Scarlatti sonata, you really got the voices controlled nicely. The tempo was good and the dynamic range just right.

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell Russell will hopefully grow to appreciate fine music like this. It has a lovely theme, nicely played and I really enjoyed the harmonic shifts and runs in the second section. Beautiful!

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez I loved this, could almost feel the Spanish breeze blowing over me. I think you got the melody to soar nicely, particularly when it moved up the keyboard. Gorgeous, didn't want it to end!

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major This is a piece I have learnt in the past; I think you did a lovely job with it. It sounds a teeny bit muffled which is a shame, the melody needs to shine a little more. Nice tempo adjustments, delightful trills and good dynamic shaping. Very nice!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
AB Forum Recital #2233937 02/18/14 09:43 PM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thank you to the organizers, again, for setting things up and making it such an enjoyable platform where we can share and enjoy each other's music. Welcome, all newcomers, and thank you for sharing your music. There is a great deal of talent here and so many wonderful piano pieces.

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 Andy, superb work with this Beethoven Sonata. You hold the tempo for each movement so very well. The dynamics are great, too. It’s exciting to see how much improvement you’ve made in all areas of playing. Look forward to more of your Beethoven - you play this one so well.

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart Beautiful piece of music and you played it very well. You play with a great deal of patience and your expression and carefully placed dynamics add a great deal to it. Very relaxing music.

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 Very excellent, indeed! It’s great to hear Bach played with such enthusiasm and articulation. You’ve got some serious skills and they shine through with this Sinfonia!

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 Brahms is near the top of my list and I am glad you chose this piece to play. Your teacher picked a good one for you to learn, for sure. This one is a keeper and I look forward to hearing this one again after it’s matured under your fingers.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major I enjoyed this piece a great deal - it’s a very refreshing melody and you play it with a smile on your face - it shines through. Glad you were able to pick the best parts, put them together and make them your own!

06. George Schiro - Heartache You had some good ideas going when you sat down to play your feelings. I am always curious as to what might have been your motivation for such an interesting melody. Thank you for your music.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
AB Forum Recital #2233968 02/18/14 11:33 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 Andy, what a nice performance of this sonata -- delicate, clean, and precise. I haven't learned any Classical period pieces in a while; this makes me want to.

-----
At this point, my grandson wanted to listen along with me. So I've included his comments too.
-----

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart Matthew says, "It was very good and it made me very tired." I'd say relaxed.

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 Matthew says, "Very energetic and lively." After learning a few sinfonias, I appreciate the challenge of balancing the independence and interaction of the multiple voices. You obviously handle that quite well.

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 Matthew says, "It sounded like the part in a play when the villain comes in." smile Oh, yes, that does describe it well!

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major Matthew says, "It sounded kind of like a lullaby." I loved the smooth, gorgeous sounds you got from this piano.

06. George Schiro - Heartache Matthew says, "Very sad." I agree.

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 Matthew says, "Made me think of walking through the forest in the fall." I loved the melody. I'm glad you were able to rework it and bring that out so well.

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette Matthew says, "It sounded very, very, very happy." To me, it sounded reminiscent of happiness.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 Matthew says, "Everything all at once." I disagreed; I liked it's calm simplicity.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 Matthew says, "One word to describe it: sad". I love this piece and enjoyed hearing your beautiful performance of it. You handle those long trills wonderfully.

-----
Matthew says, "Good-night."
-----

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
TrapperJohn #2234011 02/19/14 02:31 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Originally Posted by evamar

ejem... always... well... maybe professionally... but please let people like me, who can't carry a tune in a bucket, "sing" this too! grin

Sure - go ahead - knock yourself out - just make sure the shower is running at full speed and that all doors are closed laugh

No witnesses... I wouldn't kill it otherwise! laugh

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
evamar #2234021 02/19/14 02:59 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would like to thank all of you who have listened to my contribution to this recital, and a very special thanks to those of you who have been as kind as to give me your comments. heart

Trying to play piano with dyslexia is yet another difficulty to add to the already difficult learning of this gorgeous instrument. But well, we all have our own issues and simply go on.

I'm quite new to recording and this was my first recording for strangers to listen, so it has been quite stressful for me. The added "Sausage Fingers Remix" was made from serious attempts at recording this quite simple piece. As the well educated Spanish person that I am, I "decoratively compliment" my dear piano -although they are really directed to me- every time I make a mistake, but as I was recording directly on the USB I didn't have to remove the swearing grin ... I simply added the effects instead to show my frustration.

Saying that, I have really enjoyed taking part in this recital and listening to all the entries. I look forward to the next one and to enjoying again all the different techniques and experiences of fellow players, as it is precisely having all the different levels in one place what makes it so welcoming and interesting.

Thanks again to all the organisers and to all the participants!

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
MaryBee #2234033 02/19/14 03:39 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by MaryBee

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 Matthew says, "It sounded like the part in a play when the villain comes in." smile Oh, yes, that does describe it well!

Yes, pleaded guilty. But are we talking about the piece ? :-D

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
MaryBee #2234035 02/19/14 03:40 AM

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 Matthew says, "Everything all at once." I disagreed; I liked it's calm simplicity.

But I think Matthew nailed the essence of Bach's music and counterpoint in general wink Everything all at once but (hopefully) everything clear and transparent. Simplicity in complexity. Thank you for the insight!

Andy Platt #2234045 02/19/14 04:35 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Second batch:

11. Jazzwee - Wave Oh, but I'm intrigued as to your comment about D being a difficult key?

Hey Andy, the answer to your question is that in jazz, it is hard to improvise in D. This is not about knowing a D scale. But since it is an uncommon tune in Standards, one cannot immediately visualize all the scales and triads, and relationships as one can in the Flat keys. Flat keys are the best ones in Jazz. Sharp keys past G are kind of a pain.

Pretty much all the keys favored by guitar players are bad for Jazzers, E, A, D, B. Guitar players like them because they can use open strings. For piano players, it's a reverse of our favorite positions (Eb, Ab, Db, Bb) which means the white keys turn into black and it's very disorienting.

But if one practices these keys, one gets over this as demonstrated by my playing in D.

As long as it's not blues. These keys preclude the "slide" from black key to white key (another reason we don't like them).

The other difficulty in the tune I played is that several of the chords are chromatic (though changing chord qualities). So this is a tune often avoided for that reason.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

AB Forum Recital #2234065 02/19/14 07:29 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
21. MaryBee - Sarabande (Pour le piano)

Very beautiful music! It must have given you great pleasure to study and play this piece. You have succeeded in expressing your feelings through your playing. I enjoyed very much listening to you.

22. newbert - Rocket To The Moon

Welcome to the forum recital! You selected a piece that was very fun to listen to. I look forward to following your progress and listening to future contributions from you.

23. ajames - Laura

Impressive that you can play such harmonically complex music after just 7 months! It was very relaxing to listen to your playing.

24. CarlosCC - Time Lapse

Good tempo and even rhythm throughout the whole piece. Flawless playing, really! I enjoyed listening.

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves

Elegant and impressive playing by ear! Wish I could play jazz the way you do.

26. ladyaugustina - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3

I have to admit that I know too little about the works of Clementi. The piece you played was very charming, and I didn’t find any of it boring. You play with delicacy and clarity. I enjoyed listening to it.

27. dynamobt / Marilyn - Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 1st mvt

You did a tremendous job with this sonata movement. It is quite hard technically, but you have the skills necessary to play it well. Thanks for sharing.

28. Jake S - Chopin Prelude no.6 in B minor

This is a very beautiful composition. You have succeeded in bringing out the melody in the left hand. Nice to listen to your playing.

29. Coldsalmon - Sonata in D minor K 32 L 423

Congratulations with your U3. You made it sound very nice. You play very well and really capture the special character of this sonata. Very fine embellishments and trills.

30. corysold - Cory Hallahan - Greensleeves

This melody was a favorite of mine when I was young. It was therefore very nice for me to hear it again. Impressive that you could play that well after so very little experience! Look forward to hearing more from you later.

Last edited by Ganddalf; 02/19/14 07:30 AM.
AB Forum Recital #2234087 02/19/14 08:52 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Right, I'm back with batch 2. This is everyone from #3 - #39

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3
A really impressive piece, interesting to read your comments on the difficulty. You sound totally in command of it.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major
What a lovely piece. The way you have combined two sources works seamlessly for me. The sound is surprisingly good, hard to believe you captured it on an iPhone! The piano itself sounds gorgeous (I need to be careful as I can’t afford to get dissatisfied with my Roland DP).

06. George Schiro - Heartache
Improvised – amazing!

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2
I wasn’t familiar with this composer (and would indeed have confused him with the poet if not for your note!).
I very nice piece, and very well played –the melody very clear, so your efforts on that paid off

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette
“Variations on a theme by <>” has a long and proud history. I don’t know the original so I can’t comment on your version v that, but I thoroughly enjoyed this

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939
I love Bach too, and really enjoyed this. You had it completely under control, with a lovely even tone throughout. Great job

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6
Beautifully played.

11. Jazzwee - Wave
Well this was quite a change of pace! Interesting what you say about the key being difficult (and your addl explanation as to why in the discussion room thread). I hadn’t thought of that but I can see why it would have a big impact.
Anyway, I liked this a lot, but felt cheated that I was listening in work while writing process documentation instead of being live at the gig

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4
Very nice, I certainly wouldn’t have said it was too fast

13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin
Gorgeous

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9
Really well done, hard to believe this is after 14 months of playing, it sounds much more musically mature

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1
This flows beautifully, I almost wrote “effortlessly”, as that is the impression conveyed, but it wouldn’t do justice to the effort needed to create the “effortless” effect!

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro
This is such a beautiful aria, how lovely to hear a piano version

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78
Very nicely done, I have a Scarlatti sonata that might make an appearance in another recital

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell
Such a lovely idea to develop compositions for members of your family? And this is simply gorgeous

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez
This is definitely a contender for my favourite piece of music in this whole recital. I loved both the piece itself and your performance of it. Thanks!

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major
This is a real favourite of mine and you do a great job on it

21. MaryBee - Sarabande (Pour le piano)
This is a very complex piece, great performance

22. newbert - Rocket To The Moon
Congrats on the first upload, fellow newbie! A lovely piece, very well played

23. ajames - Laura
Nice job for only 7 months, well done

24. CarlosCC - Time Lapse
So atmospheric! Not a surprise to me that you have captured the “einaudi-ness” of the piece, but as a fan myself I know just how hard that can be to achieve

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves
I have downloaded and played through the lead sheet of Autumn Leaves and got no further (so many piano projects, so little time!). So I’m particularly enjoying hearing what the output of the process can be. Something for me to aspire to. Really enjoyed it, thanks

26. ladyaugustina - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3
Well done on your A grade! Nice job

27. dynamobt / Marilyn - Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 1st mvt
Wow, a 9+ min piece recorded with only one take!? This was super, well done

28. Jake S - Chopin Prelude no.6 in B minor
Lovely job, particularly after only 2 years playing.

29. Coldsalmon - Sonata in D minor K 32 L 423
This is very different to the other Scarlatti pieces I am familiar with. With the minor key there seems to be so much more mood and emotion than in your typical baroque keyboard piece (even as I write that I can think of loads of exceptions though). Very enjoyable

30. corysold - Cory Hallahan - Greensleeves
Top marks for submitting a piece after 3.5 weeks. This has a musicality that players with months more experience than you would wish for (specifically, my daughters!)

31. Sand Tiger - Tracks in the Snow
This is lovely, it’s evocative and really conveys the mood. I’m just so impressed with the original compositions in the recital.

32. StevenB - Old German Dance
Wow! Superb, hard to believe you are so new to the piano. I can see your prior musical training has helped you to progress unusually quickly

33. Mike White - Zamba No. 10
I like your additional info, “This piece was more difficult to learn than it seemed at first”. Frankly I think I could say that about just about every piece I’ve tackled since coming back to the piano last summer.
That said, I think you did a lovely job with this.

34. paul1971 - The Entertainer
The ragtime rhythms can be quite tricky, you did a great job with this. Amusingly (to me at least), the version I learned was a bit different so I kept getting surprised by this one!

35. JimF - Sung Outside A Prince's Door
Very nice, good job

36. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sonatina Op 36 N2 3rd movement
Bah humbug to those “extra stresses”. This was a lovely performance!

37. copper - Scenes From Childhood, The Poet Speaks
Schumann is another composer who I should really go back and explore. I know the name so well and yet when I saw it coming up here I realised I had no idea what to actually expect.
This was very nice, well played

38. lyricmudra - Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2
Gorgeous! Wow, such a beautiful piece and performance.

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix
Back again with charged headphones! A lovely, musical, sensitive performance.

[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2234113 02/19/14 10:04 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 Mel, I always enjoy your playing, and this is one of my favorites of all. Thank you for introducing this composer. Beautifully done!

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette A very pretty melody, MSH! Regardless of who wrote the original and which parts, you’ve made this one your own. I really like your playing style, always full and energetic.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 I think your Bach is fantastic, Diana. The slightly slower interpretation adds much to the sensitivity with which you play this Prelude.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 Doris, you are connecting with the music so beautifully. The is very impressive an inspiring. The way you play it, this is spot-on for how I think this piece should be played. Bravo, bravo!!

11. Jazzwee - Wave It’s been a long time since hearing this tune and I used to play it all the time! Your improvisations are fantastic and I am huge fan of your playing. The way you play it, one would think you know the melody like the back of your hand. Your improvisations and comping over the changes are wonderful. Really good, Jazzwee!!

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 Mazurka, Peyton. The two go hand in hand. When watching you play, it appears you are at ease, connecting with the music. You have such a wide range in your playing and this further exemplifies how well you do this. Excellent, excellent!

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
AB Forum Recital #2234148 02/19/14 11:06 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Next 10:

21. MaryBee - Sarabande (Pour le piano) "Not easy listening?" Well, depends on how much of a Debussy fan you are! I hadn't actually looked at what was about to play but that first chord told me the composer - the way you voiced the chords, the dynamics, the phrasing, everything was Debussy. And you made the music move forward, telling a story and not just random tone splashes. Fantastic!!

22. newbert - Rocket To The Moon A wonderful first submission to ABF recitals! You had good control, nice phrasing of the melody and the accompaniment was kept nicely in the background but still present.

23. ajames - Laura A lovely performance, nicely controlled with good phrasing. It's good when you realize that too much pedal is muddy and it didn't sound like there was too little in this performance.

24. CarlosCC - Time Lapse A beautiful dreamy piece, I loved the control on the fading repeated notes and the nice counterpoint in the accompaniment. Very nice.

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves Although you say there's no logic, it feels very natural and I liked the little glimpses of tunes like the Bond theme and Sting's Bourbon Street. How many did I miss I wonder? Very enjoyable, wonderfully played.

26. ladyaugustina - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3 I love these Clementi sonatinas - not sure how you could find them boring but I mostly skip the repeats too! There is a nice tempo, good dynamics and phrasing - I think for the big chords you might want to start a little softer and build to the forte. Did you start the ritardandos at the end as marked (if there were markings) - they seemed a teeny bit early to me. Over all I really enjoyed this; my teacher thinks I've moved passed sonatinas but perhaps I can persuade her to let me do this one? Amazing control, for the entire sonatina - didn't notice any mistakes!!

27. dynamobt / Marilyn - Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 1st mvt Ah, this is a tricky sonata but you've pulled it off very well, though I'm sure you realize it's a little slower than "normal" but it was a reasonable tempo. For the "big picture" of the piece, it can do with a little more movement so it's worth keeping this piece active till it moves more. The open phrase (Manheim rocket!) is nicely done and there is a nice "echo" on the repeats, with a good contrast with the minor version. Overall I really liked it and it's commendable for something this long and tricky!

28. Jake S - Chopin Prelude no.6 in B minor A beautiful version of this prelude, very warm tone, with beautiful quiet notes, particularly on the repeated notes. So hushed and still yet with great energy. Fabulous.

29. Coldsalmon - Sonata in D minor K 32 L 423 This is a lovely "quiet" sonata of Scarlatti, and you bring out the dynamic contrast effectively. It is wonderfully controlled, but has good forward movement.

30. corysold - Cory Hallahan - Greensleeves Excellent! A lovely performance. One thing you are doing really well is keeping the melody in the forefront and there is some nice phrasing and dynamic range in there. Keep going onwards and upwards!!

Kawai K3
AB Forum Recital #2234247 02/19/14 02:25 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I thank people for all the comments on my submission. Andy, I know it should be faster. This is about as fast as my skill set will allow me to play it. And when played at a decent tempo you start to feel the "drive" in the piece. I know I'm just barely there feeling it. I spent so long a time on it that I have set it aside for now. I imagine my teacher will want me to play it for my evaluations in May so I will be working on it more soon.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

barbaram #2234341 02/19/14 04:45 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[quote=barbaram]

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette

“Variations on a theme by <>” has a long and proud history. I don’t know the original so I can’t comment on your version v that, but I thoroughly enjoyed this

Thanks for this suggestion barbaram. I've struggled with what to call my musical creations for a long time now as they usually contain..a little bit of 'mine', and a little bit of 'everyone else s'.

What that means is that I seem to have some kind of photographic memory that applies to both facial recognition, and sounds. That translates into...I NEVER forget a face (or a comment), or a particular melody. These images (and sounds) just somehow get locked up into my memory for future reference. The problem with this is that many times I can 'recall' a particular sound that fits perfectly into a musical performance (kind of what Peterws did with the quick James Bond theme in his recital piece) but this musical section is not my own, but rather 'inserted'.

The 'entire piece' IS my own original creation, but many times I will rely on my memory to pull out musical sounds that I've collected (in my mind) to fill different areas of the tune as needed. These 'musical sounds' are many times mini 'snippets' of other pieces that appealed to me in a way that I wanted to expand upon and include in an entirely new piece. So this is what I do.

I'm still not entirely sure what to call it. ('Hack-job', or complete bastardization could possibly apply!), I'm not sure, but "variation on a theme" sounds appropriate and acceptable so I think I may just take that advice and run with it.

Thanks for the advice.

mr_super-hunky #2234369 02/19/14 05:13 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
[B]
I'm still not entirely sure what to call it. ('Hack-job', or complete bastardization could possibly apply!), I'm not sure, but "variation on a theme" sounds appropriate and acceptable so I think I may just take that advice and run with it.

I really like "re-noodle" but yeah, "variations on a theme by..." is probably better. whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2234453 02/19/14 06:50 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Sigh, will nearly be at the end frown

31. Sand Tiger - Tracks in the Snow A very nice composition; I think the quieter sections work best; the louder ones need a teeny bit more dynamic range in them. But it was a very touching performance.

32. StevenB - Old German Dance The speedup is not noticeable and I wouldn't have listened for it if you hadn't mentioned it. This is a great performance - stately as it demands, with good contrast been the melody and the different sections. Very nice.

33. Yamaha G3 & P-80 / Mike White - Zamba No. 10 This is a beautiful piece; I'm not surprised it was harder to learn than you thought - there is a lot going on, with different rhythmic shapes, interplay between voices and harmonic shifts. I think you brought all of that out really nicely. It has a very laid back feel but carries forward motion all the way through. Lovely.

34. paul1971 - The Entertainer Even though this is a simplified version of the piece, it is full enough to give the feel of the piece really well. You did a fantastic job keeping up with quite a fast tempo (note ragtime can be slower). The rag feel was there, you kept the melody out front very well and it was totally enjoyable.

35. JimF - Sung Outside A Prince's Door Such a beautiful, dreamy piece - you play it so well, the rolled chords were perfect, exquisite phrasing and a lovely sense of the rhythm. Wonderful!

36. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sonatina Op 36 N2 3rd movement Ah, a sonatina I've tackled, very nice. I think you know the main flaws so I won't repeat them. There are some really nice things in it - the rocking octaves. The main theme is very nicely phrased, some great rubato. Work on it some more, make your neighbor move out first, and it will really shine!

37. copper - Scenes From Childhood, The Poet Speaks Schumann is always tricky to bring off but you did a very nice job with it. The starts and stops within the piece were well handled; the themes were nicely presented without too much crashing in the accompaniment. There is delicate phrasing and wonderful control of the tempo and rhythm.

38. lyricmudra - Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2 Gorgeous, you make this sing; the melody is so exquisite while the accompaniment is just right. The dynamic range is lovely, the rubato touching. Excellent performance all around! Regarding the tempo - it seems perfect to me, whatever the metronome mark might say!

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix Who can't resist sausage fingers? The frustration doesn't come across in the performance which is confident, assured and quite beautiful. The long slow melody is carefully phrased and dynamic contrast keeps the interest going. OK, got to the sausage fingers ... I'm reversing my decision on that. I can resist and fast forwarded!!

40. BenPiano - Dahlonega Nice story, nice composition. I loved the themes in it and you play it with wonderful control. Next time say someone famous composed it, I'll believe you. There's gold in that there music. Lovely!

Kawai K3
Andy Platt #2234464 02/19/14 07:17 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Penultimate batch comin up!

44 Trapper John Lovely song, enigmatic and reminds me strongly of a certain Billy Joel number which I have the music to. Your piano sounds ,ike my old Clav which I regret selling to this day . . . Sensitive playing from yourself; great job.

45 Pathbreaker blimey, not easy. Made my headphones rattle . . .I have a hate relationship with arpeggios right now . . . I learned something tonight; this is full of `em! Don`t envy you doing this; well done. Sounded wonderful.

46 Inlanding Glen has a surprise up his sleeve tonight! Pianoteq? 1 and 2 seemed deep, deep passages. 3 totally different; bluesy jazz in an intimate setting. 4 - you`re now on a different planet man! A tad too abstract for my poor head . . . I`d like to see you mix those different styles; Lovely stuff!

47 Was True Beginner Steady folksy tune. Can imagine an Irish singer with his violinist, accordion and penny whistle player having fun. Can imagine beer. Keep `em coming man! Ya doin` fine!

48 Joan Golfing Most pleasant and typical period music well rendered. Your piano rang out wonderfully.

49 Ken Most unusual quirki fun piece. SWeems heavily influenced by alcohol. Not you, I mean the composer . . the title might give us a clue. Think "Mead". I think you had fun with this . . .

Thank you guys, for all your hard work! Fun isn`t it?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
AB Forum Recital #2234475 02/19/14 07:42 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
11. Jazzwee- Fantastic playing as always. I'm left amazed and envious that you can play like that. My only complaint is that the keyboard is just not load enough... but that's understandable considering the way it's recorded.

10. SwissMs- Very nicely played. Such a mysterious piece. And you really have "immersed" yourself in it. Bravo!

8. Mr. Super Hunky Oh Hack-Oh-noodling- Well...well done my friend!! A very dramatic interesting and well played piece. You have obviously taken (once again) someone else's piece and re-noodled and doodled and made it your piece. It has Super hunky written all over it. You own it! And..yea, the recording has much to be desired. I read all your previous stuff on how you recorded this through headphones but frankly my ADDHD kicked in and there was no way I could follow it. But still, not as bad as I thought it might be. What next? Recording through your electric razor? Could be interesting.

3. Richard- I like how you say this has been a "wonderful companion". That's how I feel about Bach. There are a few Bach pieces that I can always come back to (The Goldberg Aria for one) and they just give me peace. You play this so well. It sounds easy off your fingers. I listened a number of times! And the Invention was great!! Thanks.

AB Forum Recital #2234564 02/19/14 11:52 PM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin Amazing, simply amazing. Such wonderful voicing and and clarity. The modern harmonies so nicely played. I really like your expressive interpretation.

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 Very fine playing, earlofmar! My only wish is that this Bagatelle were longer. You’ve motivated me to want to learn this piece of music.

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1 This is beautiful Mendelssohn, timmytab. He created this play on words, song without words, which is interesting with this piece as it is so very lyrical to my mind’s ear. You bring out the beauty of those lyrics, just as Mendelssohn most likely intended.

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro Such a beautiful Aria, Amaruk. You always play with a great deal of sensitivity and this is no exception - the accompanying video you created is very well done, but stands a close second to your wonderful playing.

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78 Alessandra, as well, I prefer the slower tempo you chose. You play with great patience and that certainly helped you to bring out the dynamics and wonderful melody of this Sonata.

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell Top shelf, Russ! Your grandson has got quite the wide-open eyes, taking in everything he sees and experiences. The composition you created creates the same sensation - it’s an eye opener, so very beautiful. This is by far my favorite composition I’ve heard from you. Everything came together and this one is spectacular.

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez You picked a very powerfully written piece of music, Ed. Your attempt was not feeble like you say - you play with power when it’s called for and softly when it’s called for. It sounds to me like you are strongly connecting with the music - thank you for this, Ed.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
AB Forum Recital #2234650 02/20/14 03:55 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
31. Sand Tiger - Tracks in the Snow

Nice piece to listen to. You show considerable creativity through you your work. Well done!

32. StevenB - Old German Dance

Very steady playing, and actually flawless performance. I’m impressed that you are able to play that good after just one month.

33. Yamaha G3 & P-80 / Mike White - Zamba No. 10

So many beautiful harmonies in this piece! You really manage to make your piano sound beautifully.

34. paul1971 - The Entertainer

You must have developed your skills very fast since you are able to play so well after 3 months. Very good!

35. JimF - Sung Outside A Prince's Door

So much beauty in this mall piece! I’m really getting more and more fond of MaxDowell’s music. I’m so glad you shared this music with us.

36. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sonatina Op 36 N2 3rd movement

This is a pretty challenging piece to play. Some tricky passages and the whole music so transparent that every detail. I think you managed very well, and I don’t think you need to worry about the tempo.

37. copper - Scenes From Childhood, The Poet Speaks

This piece is much more difficult than it actually sounds. You have done a good job with it.

38. lyricmudra - Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2

This nocturne is extremely technically demanding. At the same time it needs a great level of musicality to bring out the message in the music. I’m highly impressed by the way you play it.

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix

Beautiful melody! You show lots of progress in a very short time, and you also manage to make your piano sound nice. Good job!

40. BenPiano - Dahlonega

Very nice performance! Particularly I noticed how well you make the two-against-three rhythm. And you make your K5 sound very beautifully.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Best D Piano/Controller under 600 US Dollars.
by RudessJR - 10/24/20 01:13 PM
Wrist/forearm rotation
by treefrog - 10/24/20 12:31 PM
Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 - asking $7,000
by Anna B. - 10/24/20 12:00 PM
Used Yamaha vs brand new Kawai?
by danlightbulb - 10/24/20 08:52 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,382
Posts3,016,661
Members99,006
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission