2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Good! You should be fine, then, no matter how many silly pronouncements you make.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I don't think I'm quite alone in making silly pronouncements. whome

Regards,

Polyphonist
Well, a pure artist (better way of putting it) is only concerned with their creation - they could care less what others think about it. They do it for themselves - if others like it, great. If not, too bad. Often they are introverted in a concert setting and aren't thinking necessarily about projecting their music outward, but instead making it for themselves. As a pianist, Glenn Gould seems closest to this.

Other pianists exist to please crowds because their calling is to share lovingly, and so they focus on playing in away that they know will delight audiences. There was a Van Cliburn winning pianist who came by our school for a master class and concert, and his style was like this. Of course he was a complete package as far as music and technique, but he was very much about projecting and creating a connection with the crowd and even non-pianists / non-classical listeners were really enjoying his playing. That's actually saying a lot, because less people than you think can get into solo piano music unless the playing is truly phenomenal.

In the end Glenn Gould stopped performing because he was tired of audiences and what they expected from him. I expect that Vadym Kholodenko will keep playing as long as he has an audience to delight.

Obviously, no pianist exists entirely at one end or the other. But that's the illustration of the concept anyway, sir socrates.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
R
OP Offline
R
Hello to all again!

My concert was yesterday. It went well finally.

A few things to share with you:

-I was trembling again,I couldn't control it, but I controlled my mind at least and the fact that I knew how to play it

-Some of you told me to take the fast part just a little slower and to think "melody", not "speed". That's what I did. Noone noticed it was slower.

-I still believe that I could play it better (if I weren't trembling, if I was alone). But everyone said they were excited. Ok, they might wanted to make me feel good, but still, I'm relieved and happy smile

I'll keep many of the advices given in this topic, I kept reading them these days and they helped me a lot, REALLY. I hope that next time I'll be able to control it a little better. And I'll use some advices for impriving my technique also. Actually I don't think I'm a person who doesn't like performing. I like it, I run for it but in the days before it I get frightened. Anyway smile Thanks again!

Currently: Bach's Prelude and Fugue #XVI, Beethoven's Pathetique, Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C sharp minor, Chopin's etude op 25 no 2, Chzerny' etude 41, Brahms' Rhapsody op 79 no 2, Mozart's K.282 Sonata no4 (movement 3), Haydn's keynoard concerto in D major (movement 3)
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
ranunculus :

I am glad to read that your performance was successful. I think almost all of us, regardless of our level of skill and artistry, and regardless of how much experience we have performing, all have some degree of nervousness before a performance.

As others have said, in most cases, the more one performs, the easier it becomes to perform. That doesn't mean that there won't be occasions when nerves may somewhat compromise a performance, but as we learn to channel that nervous energy into the performance moment, those compromises can become fewer and thus have a diminishing negative effect on our playing.

One of the most satisfying feelings that we pianists can have is to feel we have done well and to acknowledge appreciation from those who sincerely enjoyed our performances.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
well said, BruceD !

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Glad it went well Ranunculus smile congratulations

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Happy to hear that you felt things went well. That always provides great motivation. Things will get easier for you with time and experience... you just have to get out there and do it.

My first paying job came at 12 as a church organist. I'd played for audiences numerous times to that point as I'd been playing since the age of 4. But that first morning up in the loft I was trembling so badly that I could barely keep my fingers on the keyboard and my legs were bouncing so badly I was doing all I could to keep my feet on the pedals... hahaha! It went well, but I was scared to death and a sweaty mess. I remember thinking that I wasn't entirely sure I could keep doing it, but I went back the next Sunday and until I was 24 filled four different organist positions (with the exception of two) every single Sunday. The experience helped immensely and kept me from becoming a wreck playing for some of the greats over the years and gave me the ability to stay calm through hundreds of concerts.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Are you ever going to tell us who you are, stores? I'm very interested to know.

Regards,

Polyphonist
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Ah, one of PC's great mysteries. You will know who stores is on the same day you know whether or not BachMach2 is for real. laugh

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

And Poly, while we're at it, are you ever going to tell us who YOU are???? wink

Funny thing, when I joined the Forums I assumed that anonymity was NOT the norm. That's what the "profiles" are for - right?? ha I can certainly understand and respect why some folks prefer to maintain their anonymity, but I personally have no problem with putting myself out there - warts and all.

Last edited by carey; 02/24/14 10:27 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Originally Posted by Old Man

Ah, one of PC's great mysteries. You will know who stores is on the same day you know whether or not BachMach2 is for real. laugh

Ah yes - when HECK freezes over !! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission