2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Too many sprouts can harm you . . . Too much of anything can harm you I guess . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the helpful tips, Mr. SH. smile I'm going to look into growing the sprouts.. never realized how much protein and nutrition they have. I've tried sprouted bread in the past and it was good, but it's hard to get around here now. I try to avoid all grains now because a lot of them have gluten-like substances in them, and I think the nuts have much more nutrition than grains anyway. I don't mind making my breads from almond flour; they're quick breads, no yeast, easy to make. I get blanched almond flour from www.nuts.com and it's very good. They also have a great Tahini product. That's a good idea about the hummus - am going to try that, too.

Agree, homemade is always better. I make my own yogurt from half & half all the time - They say the store yogurts are weak as probiotics because they only let it set 4-7 hours. I let mine cook about 12 hours.

I'm with you, "Let food be thy medicine" is the way to go. thumb

B
B
Just a quick one on my experience here:

I got quite nasty RSI from typing a few years ago that really affected my playing. I still flares up now and then, but here's some stuff I've done that's helped:

1. New computer keyboard - no-brainer. Luckily, the new-style Apple keyboard is nice and light. Generally, the lighter the better. Laptop keyboards are often better than desktop ones.

2. I've changed my typing style to avoid "weak" fingers. My main problem is with my fourth on my right hand. I just don't use it when I type any more. Result: slower typing, happier fingers.

3. Ice baths really help when it flares up - really ice the hands until they're numb.

4. Wrist splints, but only at night, to stop me crunching up my hands and restricting blood flow.

5. Playing on a light piano. For practice I now only use my Dietmann upright, which has a super-light action. I only use my digital (Nord NP-88) for shooting videos, MIDI work and gigs. In general, I think the more "givey" action of a real piano is probably less damaging than the hard keybed of a digital.

6. I've diversified my musical doings (I now compose more, and sing in a choir) so that if my RSI flares I can still scratch the music itch smile

B
B
I just realised that after posting all that I forgot to answer the OP's actual question - duh.

I think playing can help the in the recovery stage, as long as you're not overdoing it, not doing massive Rachmaninov-like stretches, and playing on a piano with a light, forgiving action.

There - I'll shut up now wink

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the answers so far! I'll speak to my doctor soon - a blood test should show if I have a disproportionate level of magnesium vs calcium (which is fairly likely with my diet).

Is the general recommendation to use a piano with 'light' keys? I was under the impression that heavier keys used so differently from a keyboard/mouse might make my hand stronger - am I wrong?

Thanks!

B
B
Dunno if everybody would say the same, but I definitely found that a light action helped. Mind you, I learned on light pianos, and I've always preferred them to heavy ones, so it could just be a prejudice I have.

I'd say the main thing is to be careful with your hands and experiment to find out what works best for you. Talking to other people about it, it seems that no case of RSI is quite like any other. On the upside, loads of people get it and manage to cope with it - it's just a question of being careful, thoughtful and patient.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, would definitely stick with a light-action keyboard, at least for now. My 2 Rolands seem just right for me, weighted yet not stiff and heavy.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by StringsOnFire
Thanks for all the answers so far! I'll speak to my doctor soon - a blood test should show if I have a disproportionate level of magnesium vs calcium (which is fairly likely with my diet).

Is the general recommendation to use a piano with 'light' keys? I was under the impression that heavier keys used so differently from a keyboard/mouse might make my hand stronger - am I wrong?

Thanks!

The fact that you're still asking about strength is worrisome. If you physically can push the keys down, you don't need any more strength. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I'm not a fan of light action for RSI myself, because I think it could tend to mislead people into using only finger movement instead of technique that's healthily coordinated with the arm. This is part of what gets people into trouble on computer keyboards. It feels as if you're hardly moving, so you don't think about doing it ergonomically.

Of course, some people prefer light action and that's fine, but it won't protect against injury.

1989 Baldwin R
S
OP Offline
S
Is it fairly likely that most piano tutors will know their stuff regarding students with RSI, or will I be looking for someone with specific experience?

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by StringsOnFire
Is it fairly likely that most piano tutors will know their stuff regarding students with RSI, or will I be looking for someone with specific experience?

I would say, from experience, the answer is no. Most piano teachers are not familiar with RSI. There are some highly qualified ones, but I think that's a specific enough knowledge that you should be asking that question.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
S
OP Offline
S
I bought a Casio AP-245 in the end. Marginally lighter action than others, and I found it for £250...

I'll just see how it goes. My RSI stems from my hands being curled up and tensed a lot of the time, something a vertical mouse and a split keyboard can't really cure smirk so I think piano will help.

Thanks all!

I find playing piano helps; I have mild RSI (I could use a tablet instead if I wanted) but I play a light keyboard. Dunno if that helps, but it gives me no concerns in that direction . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Being used to a fairly heavy action, I find that a light one (the FS690) actually results in more tension, as I have to hold back and prevent any contact with the keys that aren't supposed to be played.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
C
C
weel heres my oppinionnn: I AGREE

P
P
I discovered that I had a quite severe RSI problem as soon as I started playing piano but it was due to the over use of the computer (8 hours a day at work + 5 more at home) with bad ergonomic.

My first thought was that piano playing was the root cause of the pain so I stopped for a while but the soreness never really went away. Piano had just awaken a problem that was already there without any real symptoms.

I now play piano for about 30 minutes a day without any issue but I am not sure if it helps my RSI (I think not) but at least it does not make it worst.

Here is what I have done that helped a lot:

- Read "What every pianist needs to know about the body" by Thomas Mark. This book will help you understand how all parts of your body are actually linked and will help you improve your posture and positioning for tension free playing (all recommendations from the book also apply to computer work);
- Physiotherapy to reduce some of the inflammation in my forearms and shoulders;
- Ergonomics. If you work a lot at the computer, make sure that you use good ergonomic equipment. Most of the standard chairs, mouses and keyboards are actually very bad for your body in the long run.

Yamaha YDP-181
Alfred's All-in-One Level 2
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission