2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
27 members (CraiginNZ, Caleb1416, clothearednincompo, Calavera, CyberGene, chopinetto, AprilE, EPW, ColoRodney, 5 invisible), 381 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
what was your first DP?
#2233344 02/17/14 06:15 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I misinterpreted the meaning of another current thread title.
thus, my new thread.
for anyone that thinks that I am new to the DP thing, I thought I would tell you a little bit about my life and evolution.
I was born a poor...........
ok, whatever, lol........I lived in/rented attic apartments for decades.
(thus my deep inner hunch that I am descended from tree dwellers......most likely simian.......higher primates, most likely......lol)
anyway, getting a piano up to my high rise penthouse......ahem.......locations, was not really in the cards.....thus one day....circa 1988, I walked into a music store, and easy touch, super easy sale, a fool and his money soon go separate ways Charlie (me smile.........bought a shiny new Roland HP 100 Piano Plus.
it's at my Mom's now. its been there for decades. I read that it was one of the first electronic MIDI pianos. I had a MIDI cable, and I did use it to layer it with another KB. the onboard sounds of the Roland were not so great (IMHO). I hooked it up to a Roland CM 32P PCM sound module.
my sustain pedal, was a pedal that was used on an xray machine. the 2 settings were "cut" and something else I forget. (just a simple on/off foot pedal switch.)
anyway, gave Mom another lesson today on the Yamaha DGX 505, I brought over for her.
man, she is gonna love that one.
fascinating though to compare, how technology has improved since 1988, if I compare my old Roland, to the stuff thats out there today.
if anyone feels like replying here and saying something about their first DP, have at it!!!
peace,
Chas

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: what was your first DP?
minstrelman #2233351 02/17/14 06:29 PM
B
B
I bought a Kawai ES4 in 2006. It was functioning just fine until last year I wanted to get rid of some of the clicking sounds of the black keys and sprayed WD40 into the action. And now even after extensive cleaning, most of the keys still do not resonate properly.
My parents had a nice Kawai upright when I was growing up all the way through college. Problem is, regrettably, I was never interested in piano at the time. I could have cared less. I would give anything now to have an actual acoustic piano in my home and ability and freedom to play it ( I live in attached area so no acoustic pianos allowed)

minstrelman #2233371 02/17/14 07:04 PM
B
BaR Offline
B
My first "keyboard" was not digital at all. It was a Roland EP-20. It was electronic and used contact springs to trigger a note that was as close to a piano as they could get back in the 1970's. I had a Kustom 88 by Baldwin after that. Sounded better, was velocity sensitive, weighed a ton. Next was a Roland RD-300 in the later 80's. Had that until 2004. Bought a Kurzweil PC1X with the triple strike stereo piano sound. Had it for 7 or 8 years. Could not deal with the Fatar keybed anymore. Hated it. Now I have a Yamaha P-95. Works for what I need at this time in my life. Buy, Yes, technology has come a long way since that EP-20. If could have had this P-95 back when I first started out, I would have been in heaven!

minstrelman #2233386 02/17/14 07:37 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
One up from BaR for me: the Roland EP-30, which was apparently the first touch sensitive electronic piano. (still not "digital" though). I still remember the time when I got to play it through a decent speaker (my own was lousy) - it actually sounded surprisingly good.

Greg.

sullivang #2233390 02/17/14 07:45 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hi, Greg:

Glad to see you're still contributing your ideas and other pertinent info into this forum - also, it just so happens my first digital piano was:

Casio CDP-100

minstrelman #2233403 02/17/14 08:27 PM
M
OP Offline
M
cool, you guys.
wondering about WD40. I'm told it has oil in it, (fish oil, more precisely.....I heard you can eat it.....not so sure about the reliability of my source on that....).
anyway, oil, will attract dust, and gunk stuff up. silicone spray maybe? I'm sure there are people here who can recommend the right stuff. contact cleaner??

its super interesting to me, what you said brian, because I craved madly having an acoustic for decades. got one ~7 years ago. have in recent times, come to find that even though I spent a small fortune on my AP,they get way nicer. and the price goes super high for the way niceness.
enter the concept that the quality of DP's has gotten a bit better in the past few decades. and then throw in the SW pianos that might sound fine too.
so far, I am digging the new stuff. my new DP's are truly like heaven for me. and soon I will be trying out SW pianos. life is very good.
these DP gizmos are at least soooooo worth checking out, if you are searching for the best sound you can get (and touch and all the endless possibilities that go along with the wonderful world of synthesizer workstations), and do not have a very large amount of money to spend.
BaR and Greg,thats super cool that you guys make a distinction between electronic and digital.
I would not have thought of that.
I was trying to explain the term digital to my brother today.
onward and upward gents.

minstrelman #2233431 02/17/14 09:45 PM
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I had the Yamaha P80. Bought it in college because I could never get access to the practice rooms. It worked real well for me--so lightweight and portable and the action and sounds were good enough. I later upgraded to a Kawai MP8. It wasn't a 100% upgrade, though. There were some things about the P80 I actually liked better.

gvfarns #2233436 02/17/14 09:56 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gvfarns
I had the Yamaha P80. Bought it in college because I could never get access to the practice rooms. It worked real well for me--so lightweight and portable and the action and sounds were good enough. I later upgraded to a Kawai MP8. It wasn't a 100% upgrade, though. There were some things about the P80 I actually liked better.

Like what? I have a P85 and I can't imagine missing any of it if I had an MP8.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
minstrelman #2233440 02/17/14 10:10 PM
M
OP Offline
M
my main axe, in my attic dwelling days, for many years was a PF88.
loved it.

gvfarns #2233518 02/18/14 04:00 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns

I just heard a P80 on ABF recital. It sounds wonderful . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
minstrelman #2233520 02/18/14 04:05 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
CLP250 was mine. A 76 key-er. Keyboard was fairly heavy, but pretty good. No tonal difference whatever between p and f (it`s range) and NO reverb. Couldn`t afford the CLP550 which I loved above all others.

But it was reliable, playable and had a seat with a lid! Came in "Polystyrene Black".

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
minstrelman #2233542 02/18/14 05:17 AM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Kawai ES1 - just handed it down to a friend's child in the hope they get her some piano lessons.

The ES1 was a perfectly decent piano with a convincing weighted action. A bit low on polyphony so notes get stolen if you use the sustain in a long passage.

I bought the ES1 12 years ago and the sound isn't really bad at all. Considering how you can now buy vast gobs of memory with pin money it forces one to harbour the strongest suspicions that manufacturers are deliberately feeding memory resources to looping/stretching at the slowest possible drip in order to build obsolescence into every model.

They're all doing it. Dare anybody suggest that this is by cooperative design? That it's a form of cartel?

minstrelman #2233544 02/18/14 05:18 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by minstrelman
cool, you guys.
wondering about WD40. I'm told it has oil in it, (fish oil, more precisely.....I heard you can eat it.....not so sure about the reliability of my source on that....).
anyway, oil, will attract dust, and gunk stuff up. silicone spray maybe? I'm sure there are people here who can recommend the right stuff. contact cleaner??

my point was I ignorantly used wd40 on a digital. Please dont use it. Yes, find another solution

minstrelman #2233567 02/18/14 07:17 AM
M
OP Offline
M
hahahahahaha. gotcha.
cool replies, cats.

thinking more about the distinction made between electronic and digital.

not an expert in the field, though I do electrical stuff for my job. I know basic electrical troubleshooting, how to read schematics, sequences of operation, and so on.
I'm thinking that electronic means, things like transistors and maybe even integrated circuit boards and so on.
digital probably means that there is a storage device, a memory device, and a processor. that is stuff that holds data in storage, and a gizmo that can do things to, and with, that information, based on a code, following a set of instructions, that are written in a binary language, meaning that it is a series (like a tree with branches), of yes/no, one/zero (1 or 0), powered on or powered off, choices. over the years, some rather brainy design engineers, have devised gizmos that can make a staggering number of these choices every second.

minstrelman #2233588 02/18/14 08:02 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
In this context "digital" was introduced as a distinction from "analogue" (or analog), which at one time was easier, simpler, cheaper than "digital" as in "calculated".

Think of the Hammond tone wheel organ as an "analogue" synth.

minstrelman #2233593 02/18/14 08:12 AM
M
OP Offline
M
wow. have just been reading about Hammond organs, tone wheel, Leslie,
"Although they are sometimes included in the category of electronic organs, the majority of Hammond organs are, strictly speaking, electric or electromechanical rather than electronic organs because the sound is produced by moving parts rather than electronic oscillators.[15]"

there is just an endless amount of stuff about which I am profoundly clueless and all I do is read. I must be really slow. lol.........

minstrelman #2233671 02/18/14 11:14 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
My first electronic piano was a roland MP600 that I bought used. I found this pic on the web:

[Linked Image]

It had weighted 76 keys and was velocity sensitive, but had an analog piano sound.

Then I got a Yamaha DX-7 to which I added a Roland P-3 piano module, and later changed that to a Kurzweil Micropiano. I still have these modules stored away... I really wanted a 88 key weighted MIDI controller and I ended up making my own from scratch as a electronics project, using a keyboard from an old upright to which I added steel weights. I used a PC XT motherboard and a handmade ISA board for interfacing to key contacts (2 per key), a control panel and a 16 character LCD display. I programmed the whole thing in assembler then burned the program into a EPROM (replacing the on-board Microsoft BASIC PROM). It was velocity sensitive (measured the time between the upper and lower contacts) and had programmable features such as splits, etc. I really had fun making that thing, but it was rather big and heavy.

My first "real" digital piano was a Yamaha P-85 that I bought used and that serves as my portable.

I also have a Yamaha P-155 that I use in a church and that I built into a hand made mini-grand shaped cabinet, another project of mine. You can see that here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2205086/Project:_building_a_grand_shap.html

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
minstrelman #2233699 02/18/14 12:06 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow, this really goes back over 40 years.

My first keyboard was a piece of sh*t Farfisa. After that a Rhodes 73 for a few years and then a Wurlitzer electric piano ... or the other way around ... I'm not sure.

The first real electric piano (other than that Farfisa) was a Yamaha CP25 or a CP35 which had eight or 16 note polyphony.

At some point I bought a Roland A-80 midi controller and used that for many years on jobs. I then bought a Yamaha P250, followed by a CP300, and now own a CP5.

off topic .... I'm waiting to be called by my local bike shop for something even more fun than a new keyboard, a new bike. I will very shortly be the owner of a new Van Nicholas titanium frame bike replete with a Rohloff 14 speed hub and a Gates carbon fiber belt.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
minstrelman #2233720 02/18/14 12:30 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
... DP ... digital piano ... not electric piano

Now that I've given this more thought I guess my first digital piano was the Yamaha P250.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
minstrelman #2233732 02/18/14 12:46 PM
M
OP Offline
M
awesome on the bike, man.
(further off topic daydreaming.......fondly remembering laughing at Monty Python bicycle repairman skit)........ahem.....back to on topic.....
hey Dave, cool.
I would like to point out that the OP, when starting the thread, actually thought that there were only 2 categories.................acoustic pianos, and pianos and keyboards that you plug into the wall.
its an education here, I'll tell you.
a few weeks ago, I did not know that a distinction was made between arranger workstations and synthesizer workstations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ravenscroft Help
by Grandman - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
loudness/projection vs. bright/mellow
by Piano Math - 11/30/20 08:19 PM
Growing up with an Acoustic Piano
by Deltajockey - 11/30/20 07:35 PM
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,174
Posts3,029,099
Members99,438
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission