2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
As an aside, Chris Leslie and I are working on a tuning game. You can enter your sequence, or play someone else's. The game cycles through the checks and you can tweak each note as you go. Then you get a score.

One problem we have is the tone generation. Currently using 8 partials modelling different iH. (B values)

I would eventually like to use the tuning produced by a user, to play some midi files so people can compare the sound of one tuning to another, or ET to an HT, for example.

Does anyone know if that is possible? To use a access a sample within a game and tweak it's tuning? We are using Java.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
As an aside, Chris Leslie and I are working on a tuning game. You can enter your sequence, or play someone else's. The game cycles through the checks and you can tweak each note as you go. Then you get a score.

One problem we have is the tone generation. Currently using 8 partials modelling different iH. (B values)

I would eventually like to use the tuning produced by a user, to play some midi files so people can compare the sound of one tuning to another, or ET to an HT, for example.

Does anyone know if that is possible? To use a access a sample within a game and tweak it's tuning? We are using Java.

Yes with the Java audio API you can stream MIDI into a sink, add pitchbends as desired, and render the modified MIDI. I wrote such a module to modify MIDI in realtime from a keyboard and change the tuning. But it was over a decade ago and I don't remember the details.

Kees

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by erichlof
Hi all, I can vouch for tuning accuracy in Pianoteq. Since it is synthesized mathematically, they can plug in any curve, stretch, octave size, temperament, you name it. Their stock ET that comes pre-loaded is right on the money (using aural tuner's interval checks).

I can't say the same for sampled piano software such as Synthogy's American Concert D and Galaxy's Vintage D, because I do not own them or have access to them.

I'm with Mark on finding sub-standard (sometimes bad) tuning on stock DP's. The best to my knowledge is Yamaha's flagship line. The thirds are pretty darn even (taking into account that they 'stretch samples' over a couple of chromatic neighboring keys on some models). I think somewhere Yamaha said that they hired a piano technician to oversee the sampling of the original Yamaha CFIII, and to be ready to touch it up if things go astray during the pounding of all individual 88 notes, times however many velocity layers (ppp to fff) that they advertise per note. That's a lot of recording!

Coming in behind Yamaha is Roland, Casio, and the rest. Mixed results from those, especially Roland (who supposedly samples different Steinways for each register of your DP!). That's an exercise in futility trying to get that DP in tune with itself!

I would bet that the software sampled pianos that I mentioned above fall into the same category as Roland, Casio, etc., unless they hired a technician to be on site during the sampling like Yamaha did.

The best of both worlds, and possibly the future is hybrid modelling/sampling so they can dial in a note accurately like Pianoteq's synth engine can, AND at the same time have a realistic piano tone when you press a key.

I guess that begs the question as to how UNrealistic Pianoteq's tone is - or how it might improve with further development, faster processors, etc.

E
E
Yeah, unfortunately Pianoteq's reproduction of piano tone is not quite there yet. However, their sounds between the notes (sympathetic resonance, damper resonance, soundboard resonance, etc.) are awesome. This is where sampling falls short, because no one has sampled every possible combination of notes, velocity, and pedal position from 88 possible key presses - which is practically infinite. This must be handled with a mathematical model IMO.

But the reproduction of a single piano note is where sampling shines. This is where the infinite possibilities of steel/copper wire vibrating over a wooden soundboard work against Pianoteq - no one has yet modeled mathematically ALL the possible imperfections and interactions of atoms within an acoustic piano system. It's much easier to playback a recording than to try to build the piano's complex tone with sine waves on a computer.

Hence the need IMO for a true hybrid - Pianoteq's math for resonance, and sample library's recordings for accurate tone reproduction. Who knows when these two will truly meet? smile

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Yeah, unfortunately Pianoteq's reproduction of piano tone is not quite there yet. However, their sounds between the notes (sympathetic resonance, damper resonance, soundboard resonance, etc.) are awesome. This is where sampling falls short, because no one has sampled every possible combination of notes, velocity, and pedal position from 88 possible key presses - which is practically infinite. This must be handled with a mathematical model IMO.

But the reproduction of a single piano note is where sampling shines. This is where the infinite possibilities of steel/copper wire vibrating over a wooden soundboard work against Pianoteq - no one has yet modeled mathematically ALL the possible imperfections and interactions of atoms within an acoustic piano system. It's much easier to playback a recording than to try to build the piano's complex tone with sine waves on a computer.

Hence the need IMO for a true hybrid - Pianoteq's math for resonance, and sample library's recordings for accurate tone reproduction. Who knows when these two will truly meet? smile

I agree that it is EASIER to sample than to model, I don't agree that it is necessary to model interaction at the atomic or even molecular level.
Maybe not even each cm of each string, or each sq cm of the soundboard, but more processing power MIGHT take things closer to that.

Heck, the best builders can't build the next one the same as the last one laugh there is just SO MUCH variability in materials alone, to say nothing of the variability of the processes, some of which are skills based.

It seems a little ODD to want to get closer to any ONE piano than the previous or next piano of the same make/model gets to that ONE piano.
Personally I think the "realism" (for want of a better word) is plenty good enough at the waveform level, it is beyond there that the chain fails - amps, speakers (& their placement), resonant feel back through the keys, etc.
(IMO, etc.)

========================
I wonder if it might be possible to sample and in some way "morph" the samples back into tune, probably by post processing the sample. ???
Something that SEEMS sample recorders should be doing is looking at each sample as it is made and calling for a correction right then and there, maybe tweak a unison here or there ?

Last edited by R_B; 02/16/14 10:10 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by R_B

I wonder if it might be possible to sample and in some way "morph" the samples back into tune, probably by post processing the sample. ???
Something that SEEMS sample recorders should be doing is looking at each sample as it is made and calling for a correction right then and there, maybe tweak a unison here or there ?

All sample players were doing this anyway as memory was too expensive to have a sample-per-note (or multiple samples per note). Typically one sample would be used for several notes and then the playback of the sample would be adjusted to give the correct pitch for the note in question. The problem with this is that the timbre sounds wrong the further away in pitch one gets from the actual sampled frequency. Now that memory is so cheap, this isn't an issue as multiple samples per note are used. The pitch is still futzed with, though, as most decent EPs allow for different temperements to be selected.

Of course, modelled instruments like Pianoteq take a different approach and calculate everything according to the settings of the model parameters (which include things like unison "width" and amount of stretch etc.). Though as has been pointed out recently, piano sound is complex enough that it's not currently feasible to produce a model which accounts for everything. The hybrid sampled/modelled approach does sound interesting for the parts of the sound where it's hard to write a suitable model.

Paul.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I am out of my depth here, but I question the idea that the actual movement of the strings and wood have to be modeled.

"Black box" representation, this input causes that(/those) output(s).

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by R_B
I am out of my depth here, but I question the idea that the actual movement of the strings and wood have to be modeled.

"Black box" representation, this input causes that(/those) output(s).

A paper ( free download), published in April, 2013 titled "Modeling and simulation of a grand piano" by Chabassier and Joly, found it necessary, in order to create a virtual piano, to model every interaction that occurs when a key is struck. To model one second of sound up to 10kHz, using a 300 cpus cluster, took 24 hours.

Last edited by prout; 02/17/14 10:41 AM.
E
E
Hi prout and RB,
Thanks prout for the reference to that virtual piano modeling paper. I will definitely check that out (I've always been interested in what it would take to completely model the tone of the piano, with all its parts, idiosyncrasies, etc.).

RB, to truly model the complete piano system mathematically, it seems that researchers have to go down to a very fine resolution (possibly molecular), which, as prout pointed out, is not in our current tech's grasp as of 2013-2014. Not to do it in real time anyway.

But computers are getting exponentially more powerful every 2 years so who knows when we will be able to simulate physical systems in real time? There are a lot of other use cases for accurate physical simulation besides piano and sound reproduction of course. Think 'the Matrix' smile

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Hi prout and RB,
Thanks prout for the reference to that virtual piano modeling paper. I will definitely check that out (I've always been interested in what it would take to completely model the tone of the piano, with all its parts, idiosyncrasies, etc.).

RB, to truly model the complete piano system mathematically, it seems that researchers have to go down to a very fine resolution (possibly molecular), which, as prout pointed out, is not in our current tech's grasp as of 2013-2014. Not to do it in real time anyway.

But computers are getting exponentially more powerful every 2 years so who knows when we will be able to simulate physical systems in real time? There are a lot of other use cases for accurate physical simulation besides piano and sound reproduction of course. Think 'the Matrix' smile

No problem, erichlof.

Quotes from the conclusions chapter. "Analysis of the simulated piano tones in time and frequency show a satisfactory agreement with the measurements performed on a Steinway D grand piano. ...but that the depth of the bass notes is not completely rendered. ...In its present state, this model of piano should be considered as a crude skeleton of the instrument."

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/78/75/51/PDF/RR-8181.pdf

Well, that is "a" way and probably a very good way if it is (partly) for one's doctorate thesis.
At least one of those folk are on the Pianoteq team.

BTW, it finishes at the soundboard, i.e. the case is not considered (case reson_on_ances, pianos have those, right ?)
IMO this is where electronic and physical instruments REALLY diverge, piano case (or guitar body) vs speaker system.

C
C
I made a Tunelab Pro tuning curve for my Yamaha P-60 digital. The curve was absolutely flat. No stretch at all. On a few notes I can hear a small wavering in the pitch, like a slightly out of tune unison. This digital has a very lifeless sound which grows boring very quickly. I don't use it anymore since I bought an acoustic upright.

E
E
Hi RB,
Yes I agree with you that speakers vs. soundboard/cabinet is where acoustic and virtual instruments diverge. I think for musical purposes, if the goal of reproducing a recorded piano is met, then that would be most useful. Because you have to play both back on some type of electronic media in the end anyway.

For the real thing however, modeling the room interactions, human ear shape, etc. would all have to go into completely fooling someone that they were standing in a room with a piano playing. That would complicate the modeling dramatically.

But, I am confident that we as a species will be able to do that someday. I was going to post earlier that we might have to go down further than atomic and take into account quantum fluctuations at the smallest scale - the Planck scale. The computer needed to perform those calculations in real time, doesn't even exist in our dreams. But this is sounding like science fiction now. smile

I'll be happy with just an accurate modeling of a recorded Steinway D, thanks! smile

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by R_B
http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/78/75/51/PDF/RR-8181.pdf

Well, that is "a" way and probably a very good way if it is (partly) for one's doctorate thesis.
At least one of those folk are on the Pianoteq team.

BTW, it finishes at the soundboard, i.e. the case is not considered (case reson_on_ances, pianos have those, right ?)
IMO this is where electronic and physical instruments REALLY diverge, piano case (or guitar body) vs speaker system.

You are correct about the case not being considered in the model. "The only vibrating element of the piano case considered in the model is the soundboard, all other parts (rim, keybed, lid, iron frame...) being assumed to be perfectly rigid." "...a number of significant features of real pianos were not considered in this model. The key mechanism, the dampers, and an accurate description of the hammer action including the vibrations of the hammer shank, have been left aside."

The virtual reality experience of a pianist sitting at an electronic piano and experiencing ALL the sensations of a real piano (I feel the strings vibrating through the keys and the damper pedal as the bass dampers lower onto the strings) is yet some time away. Nevertheless, I can still practice on and appreciate my KX-8 slab connected to my iPad while I while-away the hours in a hotel room.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
A penny whistle is not a flute, but I have heard some good/fair music from one.
That is where I am at right now, a PURRRRRrrrFECT reproduction of a Steinway D interests me less than improving my ability to make music.

Horowitz could have make better MUSIC on my keyboard and rack gear than I would ever make on his physical piano.

I am happy TRYING to make MUSIC - that is enough.
I shall never be a "pianist" in the true sense of the word, but I enjoy banging around on the keys in my attempts to improve what comes out.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R_B
Horowitz could have make better MUSIC on my keyboard and rack gear than I would ever make on his physical piano.

This is an interesting concept and may be true. However, would Horowitz have been satisfied with not having the response he was expecting?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted by R_B

This is an interesting concept and may be true. However, would Horowitz have been satisfied with not having the response he was expecting?

With all due respect to the Maestro - I don't care.
(selfish)

MY musical amusement matters MUCH more to ME than his (did) and I am getting adequate satisfaction from the equipment I have.
I don't have the perfect car (whatever THAT is) either, but what I do have gets me to places quickly enough in sufficient comfort.
Good enough is good enough, lets make music.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by contrapiano
I made a Tunelab Pro tuning curve for my Yamaha P-60 digital. The curve was absolutely flat. No stretch at all. On a few notes I can hear a small wavering in the pitch, like a slightly out of tune unison. This digital has a very lifeless sound which grows boring very quickly. I don't use it anymore since I bought an acoustic upright.

Wait a minute. I have a P-85, and I agree digital pianos
get boring.

But aren't most digital piano's sampled from real pianos, with real inharmonicity? So shouldn't there be some stretch?

If there was no stretch at all, then the partials have to be
perfect integer multiples of the fundamental, which can't be the case with real strings.

I don't know exactly how it's done, but I do know that for standard midi instrument sets, the sampled piano is exactly in tune all the way up and down with all the other instruments (e.g. pipe organ, flute, trumpet etc etc) so the manufacturers (or programmers?) have overcome the inharmonicity problem somehow.

I don't have a dedicated high spec. electronic piano so I can't comment on those.

Jim (amateur musician and composer..and piano tinkerer).

Restoration Project Videos
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Jim Dunleavy
I don't know exactly how it's done, but I do know that for standard midi instrument sets, the sampled piano is exactly in tune all the way up and down with all the other instruments (e.g. pipe organ, flute, trumpet etc etc) so the manufacturers (or programmers?) have overcome the inharmonicity problem somehow.

I don't have a dedicated high spec. electronic piano so I can't comment on those.

I have a Yamaha P120 and the piano preset is definitely quite a bit sharper in the upper treble compared to the organ or vibraphone presets. I don't know how many samples are used in the upper treble though. In the mid range, one group of samples seems to be used for around 3 semi-tones (it's not difficult to hear the change in timbre between them).

Paul.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission