2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
It's Mikuli, not Miluki!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
It's Mikuli, not Miluki!

[Linked Image]

B
BDB Offline
B
The Mikuli complete edition is long out of print. I have the chamber music, but try to find it now!

Semipro Tech
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks to you all for your suggestions and comments.

Yamaha Avantgrand N3, Bush & Lane upright grand (1920s), Steinway upright grand (1893)
S
S
I agree with Wiener. Easy to read and stay open and are well edited. The fingering for the Chopin Etudes edition is exceptional.

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Recently I played op28 no6 so I compared a few editions

The Pleyel edition has a g# instead of a# somewhere so I dumped that one immediately...

Schirmler was pretty good but has incorrect pedalings, introduced pp and a sostenuto, and ppp at the end which unusual, I guess it's not Chopin's. I used this until I found the first french edition.

Then there is a Berlin: Bote & Bock 1880 edition. pedaling is better than Schirmler. But again ppp at end, and they add 'dimin', 'sostenuto' , psf and more fancy dynamics. Also weird fingerings. Don't use that.

I ended up with the first french edition. Seems best to me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Back when I first started playing piano, I bought the Dover/Mikuli editions for everything Bach, Beethoven, Chopin etc. When I went back to my junior high school to speak to my choir teacher who was also a pianist/organist he would always tell me that all Dover editions should be burned....lol

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I found this information interesting. The preface to the Henle edition of nocturnes.

The editorial principles which havebeen applied derive from the method followed in the preceding volumes(Etudes, Waltzes), according to which,when several sources were available, auniform “source-layer”, as one may callit, was, as far as possible, taken as a basis.This basis can often be established by the conformity of certain definite criteria (such as the engraver’s annotations,the publishers’ numbers, etc.)between the autograph and one of thefirst editions published in one or theother country.In the absence of autographs, an attempt was made at ascertaining, from biographical notes, letter extracts, etc. with what publisher the composer at the period in question happened to be most closely associated. By adopting this method it was found possible in certain cases to draw conclusions regarding theauthenticity of the first editions published by that firm. Besides the manuscripts and first editions, the later editions of Mikuli and Paderewski, as well as the Oxford Edition, were likewise always consulted. Closer details on the sources consulted and the different variants are given in the Comments at the end of this volume.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Recently discovered that Kalmus doesn't even say which sources they're using for Chopin! I knew they were cheap but... One of those cases in which cheap turns out to be expensive.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I'll cast my vote for, "anything in the public domain," unless the composer is still alive.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission