Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving from our family to our Forums Family!

Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
55 registered members (andyhuang, anotherscott, accordeur, Brendan, 13 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2232470 - 02/16/14 08:41 AM Methods of sight reading  
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,161
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,161
Sweden
There's no need to mention the importance of sight-reading for pianists, or at least being able to carefully look over the sheet music of some piece and sit down and play it from the sheet, preferrably without looking down at the keybed. Don't know if the latter is actually sight-reading.

How do I get better at it? By online sites and sight-reading software, or simply by playing with sheet music in front of me? We were discussing this briefly in another thread, but since it was outside of the thread's topic, I decided to start a new thread, dedicated to this subject.

Sightreadingfactory.com was mentioned, and a custom made tool by a PW member, supertorpe. These tools seem very good, different, but what they have in common, is that they generate sequences of notes in a certain key, according to certain music theory rules.

Now if that's the case, isn't it just as good to practise sight-reading on real songs? Certainly more fun, since software generated measuers on the grand staff, are not as good as the works of the classical masters or contemporary musicians.

Now what's your take on this, kind PW member?

Last edited by TheodorN; 02/16/14 10:00 AM.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Production Grand 2 Gold, Estate Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2232498 - 02/16/14 09:33 AM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
supertorpe Offline
Full Member
supertorpe  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
Spain. Cadiz.
I have to say that I do not usually use the tool I started building.
One of the few advantages to using this type of tool is that you can generate a lot of material to practice certain types of exercise isolating one difficulty at a time.
Recently I started to compile a list of free resources for the sight-reading, and I use that list to practice, instead the automatic generator. I still have work to sort all material complexity:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FdfdE9Oc3d4TFdVOXc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Edit: the tool doesn't generate a totally random sequence of notes. It constraints to certain rules to try to generate not dissonant music.
Although much could be improved so that it would generate meaningful musical phrases.

Last edited by supertorpe; 02/16/14 09:37 AM.

Started learning piano: 01 March 2010
- Ex: Yamaha P-85, Kawai ES-4
- Current: Kawai CA-63
- Videos
- soundcloud
#2232505 - 02/16/14 09:57 AM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,161
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,161
Sweden
Sorry that I described your software incorrectly. It's a great tool and I highly respect anyone simply for the idealism to provide a free useful tool for sight-reading practice, and respect it even more, when it's a good tool. I will change my original post to accommodate your corrections. I'll also check out your website and bookmark it.

Last edited by TheodorN; 02/16/14 10:02 AM.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Production Grand 2 Gold, Estate Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black.
#2232556 - 02/16/14 11:47 AM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
supertorpe Offline
Full Member
supertorpe  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
Spain. Cadiz.
Don't worry! and thank you very much for your generous words.
I agree that sight-reading the work of classical masters is better, musically speaking, than one of these tools. Although, as I said above, these tools can fill a gap when it comes to designing specific exercises to address certain types of particular difficulty that is difficult to find in such masterwork pieces.


Started learning piano: 01 March 2010
- Ex: Yamaha P-85, Kawai ES-4
- Current: Kawai CA-63
- Videos
- soundcloud
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2232730 - 02/16/14 05:32 PM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,159
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,159
Australia
I only started piano fourteen months ago so I am no authority but sight reading is one of my key interests. I have asked the question before on how to get better at sight reading and the answer always is do lots of it. This includes reading music from different genres and styles. I dont think where that material comes from is important whether it be actual music, book exercises or computer generated as long as you dont rely on just one.

As I said in another post I use sightreadingfactory.com as one of my sources. Being able to use a source with unlimited exercises geared to my level I have found to be most beneficial. But an online program or any exercise method are only aids. They are no substitute for real music so in addition I have plenty of books pdfs etc which I also use. Most importantly any material you use must be much simpler than your playing level.

I have a daily practice session just for sight reading and rarely miss a day. I enjoy it so much I will often have several sessions a day and go well beyond the recommended 20mins per day sometimes going for an hour and a half. My biggest revelation in the whole process was unlike piano where I could attempt and sometimes play more advanced pieces, with sight reading I had to start at the very bottom and build on any improvements at a very slow steady pace. I have the patience of a saint but sight reading sure does test me.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2232733 - 02/16/14 05:39 PM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,159
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,159
Australia
Wow, that's a great tool supertorpe


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2232779 - 02/16/14 07:44 PM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
Bobpickle  Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014


Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Cameron Park, California


"[The trick to life isn't] just about living forever. The trick is still living with yourself forever."
#2232782 - 02/16/14 07:47 PM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: Bobpickle]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,159
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,159
Australia


I would agree but do you think it wise to point beginner sight readers to Bach Inventions?


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2232863 - 02/16/14 10:53 PM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
Bobpickle  Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014


Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted by earlofmar


I would agree but do you think it wise to point beginner sight readers to Bach Inventions?


Of course not, but then I don't necessarily plan on critiquing any and all specific posts or referenced resources therein with which I may disagree. Wading through advice that's good and advice that's not-so-good and learning to differentiate between the two is homework the OP has to do himself if he really wishes to go about learning the in's and out's of sight-reading pedagogy.


"[The trick to life isn't] just about living forever. The trick is still living with yourself forever."
#2232925 - 02/17/14 03:24 AM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 545
mabraman Offline
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 545
Valencia, Spain
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Sight-Reading-Secrets-Innovative-Step-By-Step/dp/0961596309

Sight reading, by Faith Maydwell. (progressive, on real pieces)


Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
#2232952 - 02/17/14 06:23 AM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,161
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,161
Sweden
Thanks for all suggestions.


My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Production Grand 2 Gold, Estate Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black.
#2232980 - 02/17/14 07:43 AM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 545
mabraman Offline
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 545
Valencia, Spain
As I'm at the very beginning of my sight-reading learning, I'm doubting, which of the two mentioned above should I start with?
Maydwell's is very well explained and gives a list of progressive literature to keep a good pace, starting from Mikrokosmos I-IV.
Richman, on the other hand, gives you some preliminary drills (basic notation, note and rythm recognition, spacial orientation drills...).
And then, when you have accomplished these, you start actual sight-reading.
I find this approach very clever, and consistent with all that researchers show about complex tasks management.
Most (every other?) methods start just sight-reading elementary materials, and is my experience that it causes a great amount of tension. In fact, just recognizing/playing a single note implies some sub-tasks, and these are which Richman works on first.


Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
#2233007 - 02/17/14 09:03 AM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
supertorpe Offline
Full Member
supertorpe  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
Spain. Cadiz.
A book that has been recommended in this forum many times (and I join the recommendation) is "Progressive Sight Reading Exercises for Piano (Hannah Smith)".

Then you can continue with basic stuff like I linked in a previous comment. Another book that is also recommended in the forum for the early stages of sight-reading is "An introduction to Classics to Moderns" (Denes Agay).


Started learning piano: 01 March 2010
- Ex: Yamaha P-85, Kawai ES-4
- Current: Kawai CA-63
- Videos
- soundcloud
#2233115 - 02/17/14 11:53 AM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,628
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,628
Italy
Hannah Smith's book is essential, if only because there are 500 exercises in it! The Mikrokosmos series is interesting, but only volume 1 can be used for sight-reading by a beginner.

There is also a sight-reading book by Schaefer available on IMSLP, but its 50 exercises progress a bit too quickly for my taste. Still worth a look!

Same for Beyer's op. 101, very basic at the beginning. Czerny's op. 599 can also be sight-read up to a certain point. The bad thing of these two is they use two treble clefs for a long time and this can be confusing.



Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia
[Linked Image]
#2233215 - 02/17/14 02:33 PM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 545
mabraman Offline
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 545
Valencia, Spain
Grazie mile!


Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
#2233263 - 02/17/14 03:52 PM Re: Methods of sight reading [Re: TheodorN]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,159
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,159
Australia
Trouble with Super Sight Reading Secrets is you really will spend a long time on the drills, perhaps a year or more to get to an acceptable level if you are just starting out. Then he has you go to Bach Chorales which will be well above the playing capability of many students never mind their sight reading ability.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai es110 /kawai es100
by Jitin. 11/23/17 07:22 PM
Midway crisis
by Martin3451. 11/23/17 07:10 PM
VST discount this Thanksgiving 2017
by TonyDIGITAL. 11/23/17 02:58 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,909
Posts2,673,848
Members89,177
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0