2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Give me a break, please. Beethoven was able to write his greatest music only because of the detachment from the world that his deafness provided him.

No, give us a break. ha

Besides that being a theory and guess (with which I don't totally disagree, BTW), we don't know what other great or greater music he might have written if his hearing hadn't gone.

I would agree that it almost certainly would have been different.
But less great? We can't say.

P.S. On the more general issue, I agree that hardship and distress can lead to greater depth and greater greatness.

I also agree that better circumstances during childhood (and beyond) usually give people a better chance to do well, including doing better on IQ tests and SAT's, and seeming more "intelligent."

Which gives a better chance for someone to be a "genius"?
Either and both. smile
You could argue either way.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't see why his deafness would've made his orchestration any different. He still heard the music in his head.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Give me a break, please. Beethoven was able to write his greatest music only because of the detachment from the world that his deafness provided him.

No, give us a break. ha

Besides that being a theory and guess (with which I don't totally disagree, BTW), we don't know what other great or greater music he might have written if his hearing hadn't gone.

I would agree that it almost certainly would have been different.
But less great? We can't say.

That's why this is is a nothing argument. One can make a case for both sides and it's impossible to prove anything about what might have happened, because it didn't. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by phantomFive

If only Beethoven hadn't gone deaf at the moment he was learning to choose instrumentations, his symphonies wouldn't all sound like they were playing an organ.

I'm interested whether you realize that what you said in no way contradicts what I said, nor does it involve given anyone a break.

Do you understand that Beethoven could have both chosen poor instrumentations as a result of his deafness, AND have written his greatest music as a result of his deafness? Does that make sense to you? Or is that level of reading comprehension above you?

Poetry is rhythm
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

If only Beethoven hadn't gone deaf at the moment he was learning to choose instrumentations, his symphonies wouldn't all sound like they were playing an organ.

I'm interested whether you realize that what you said in no way contradicts what I said...

I do, in case you're still interested. I disagreed with your post first, and then made a separate point.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
I don't see why his deafness would've made his orchestration any different. He still heard the music in his head.

One thing good composers do is try instruments in different combinations, experiment with new sounds, things that have never been heard before. For example, you might have the idea that five clarinets combined with two violins playing the same part might have a mellow, romantic sound, but unless you can hear it, you won't be sure. There might be some kind of subtle interaction between the instruments that you never noticed before.

That kind of thing is harder when you are deaf. Beethoven's music is great, but his instrumentation is rather standard.

Last edited by phantomFive; 02/15/14 07:45 PM.

Poetry is rhythm
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

I'm interested whether you realize that what you said in no way contradicts what I said...

I do, in case you're still interested. I disagreed with your post first, and then made a separate point.

Good, that's good you understood it. So you disagreed, didn't give any reason for your disagreement, then changed the topic. I'm going to say, you need to give us a break!

Last edited by phantomFive; 02/15/14 07:44 PM.

Poetry is rhythm
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
See Joel's post above. I don't see a single weakness in scoring in any of Beethoven's later symphonies. Can you point out a passage which you think is badly written and how Beethoven could have "improved" it?

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
See Joel's post above. I don't see a single weakness in scoring in any of Beethoven's later symphonies. Can you point out a passage which you think is badly written and how Beethoven could have "improved" it?

I didn't say Beethoven's instrumentation is weak.

An example of creative instrumentation is Ravel's Bolero. It starts with a single flute playing the melody, with a drum playing percussion. Then the flute switches down to play percussion with the drum, while the clarinet picks up the melody. The whole song, the melody and harmony don't change much, it's an experiment in different instrumentations.

And since people here are allergic to Google (and won't even click on links to read them), the Ravel Bolero can be found below:

Last edited by phantomFive; 02/15/14 08:30 PM.

Poetry is rhythm
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I didn't say Beethoven's instrumentation is weak.

An example of creative instrumentation is Ravel's Bolero.

Implying that Beethoven's isn't, so indeed you are saying Beethoven's instrumentation is weak.

The whole song...

smokin

The whole song, the melody and harmony don't change much, it's an experiment in different instrumentations.

But Beethoven, unlike Ravel, wasn't trying to write an experiment in instrumentations. That wasn't the purpose of his symphonies. You can't accuse the symphonies of not being something they aren't meant to be.

Regards,

Polyphonist
The whole song...

smokin

Hey, maybe he just has a leg up on you on the evolution of vocabulary!

It's like NYC cell phone area codes. grin
It used to be that people with "917" were the elite. Anyone with anything else was a wannabe-come-lately.
But now, when someone has 917 (that includes me), he probably seems like a dinosaur, a relic. The cool people are the ones with 646 and 347!

You might wonder what that has to do with calling Bolero a song, and you wouldn't be entirely wrong. ha

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
If he composes a piece he can call it whatever he wants. If he's referring to a piece by a master of the past, it's not appropriate to call it a "song."

PS - I have 646. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
it's not appropriate to call it a "song."

Well, to be fair, if something fits the definition of a song, then it is okay to call it a song. See below for definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
But doesn't that support my point? None of the most brilliant musicians in history have had easy lives, and some of the greatest composers went through the greatest trauma - consider Beethoven's wreck of a childhood, followed by his struggle with deafness and the world.

My original point is that IQ isn't something fixed to yourself, and can be improved with time through motivation and hard work, or you can get an IQ "boost" (at least initially) by growing up in the right circumstances. Rough circumstances can provide the motivation to excel. Comfortable circumstances can give your young brain a better start and therefore an initial advantage, may it may also mean you lose some of your initial advantage later if you don't push yourself.

Both points suggest that intelligence is not some fixed trait, but rather heavily dependent on environment and individual determination.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Implying that Beethoven's isn't, so indeed you are saying Beethoven's instrumentation is weak.

Why don't you understand that something can be less than its full potential, but still not be weak?

Poetry is rhythm
B
B

Why don't you understand that something can be less than its full potential, but still not be weak?

I'd have thought that if you want Beethoven's orchestration to sound like Berlioz's, you'd be better off listening to Hector himself - plenty of dazzling colour and glitter in his Symphonie fantastique, for example.

Harps and percussion galore, even an ophicleide and a serpent - why didn't poor old deaf Ludwig thought of that? Surely the chorus in his 9th needs reinforcement. Not to mention the Storm in the Pastoral....... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
E
E
Curie was born in 1867. IQ tests became "reliable" and gained currency around 1916. I very much doubt that Curie ever took an official intelligence test.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Atrys
it's not appropriate to call it a "song."

Well, to be fair, if something fits the definition of a song, then it is okay to call it a song. See below for definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

Precisely. Ravel's Bolero does not fit into the category of "a composition for voice or voices."

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Is anything ever at its full potential?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Is anything ever at its full potential?

Restoring this thread to its better topic of baseball ha ....

Rocky Bridges, scrappy old ballplayer and then minor league manager, when asked if he felt he reached his full potential as a player: "I think I might have gone beyond it." grin

Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission