2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital #33!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #33 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #33 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm here to apologize for my submission. I did not take the opportunity to listen to the recording once I uploaded it. And come to find out, the unedited versions made it into the recital. There are two false starts before I play the 1st movement through. So sorry. I hope you can put up with the two false starts to make it listening to the piece.

I don't know what happened. I edited the false starts out in Audacity. But somehow they remain. Well, you get the full effect of my nerves and then sorting them out to play through to the end. Next time, I will listen to my uploaded recording. In my defense, I could not listen to the Mp3 on iTunes on my computer to catch the error. I listened to it on Audacity. iTunes has developed a problem on my computer and will not play recordings at all. I hope to get this fixed. I really am sorry. A bit embarrassed too. But it's done now.

Last edited by dynamobt; 02/14/14 10:46 PM.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
C
Originally Posted by dynamobt
I'm here to apologize for my submission. I did not take the opportunity to listen to the recording once I uploaded it. And come to find out, the unedited versions made it into the recital. There are two false starts before I play the 1st movement through. So sorry. I hope you can put up with the two false starts to make it listening to the piece. ...

If I've often wondered if other people have some choice words so say to themselves between each restart, but you don't have any incriminating sentences in there :-)

You played the sonata wonderfully emotionally, from the first sharp attack gently slowing down, to the wonderful dynamics, subtle accompanying Alberti bass, wrapping up with an emotional ending.

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
B
B
The Entertainer by paul1971 I was entertained. Especially with the little subtle color you put at the end of the piece. I think you play well, The Entertainer is not an easy piece to get under the belt. Speed is fine , I rather like this piece err on the slow side than faster as I feel it is more authentic sounding that way. Only thing key to work on (for future rag time; not sure if you looking to play more ragtime) is rhythm. But looking forward to more Joplin smile

Last edited by briansaddleback; 02/15/14 02:24 AM.
B
B
Monica K who played Lamentations of the Heart. I know why you choose these pieces. I dont have to explain it. I think we just know. Very good serene playing. Gentle and heartfelt. Music pieces like this I can listen to driving long distances while I have time to ponder on my life. Eerily takes me back to childhood feelings and life situations I have been through. It is music about hindsight. About what if I have done it differently. I can get lost in it. M
onica you are sweet from your posts and your video. I can see it touches you .. You play well and hopefully I can play that well after a short 9 years. I am maybe 7? 8 ? years and have nowhere the sense of touch and understanding of dynamics as yours in your piece. (That is why i just stick to Joplin lol )
Other youtubes I hear I am a bit impressed and such, but a lot of times I dont look into their other recordings. I am looking at your other piano pieces hoping you have more.
Only thingI can suggest , and it may not really be piano or technical, but this is a piece you can get lost in it emotionally, maybe bring that more through, perhaps videotaping or publicly playing one can hold that back due to shyness, but perhaps you already do that fully when playing it in your own personal time so maybe Im preaching to the choir.
I can tell at the end of the video, this piece is dear to you.

Last edited by briansaddleback; 02/15/14 02:48 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This a great line up of pieces, many of which are new to me. I am really enjoying listening!

First batch of reviews:

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 I really like this Sonata for its cheerfulness. You bring out that character well. Very smoothly and expressively played. Nice contrast between the first second movement.

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart I can see why you fell in love with this piece. It is very haunting and beautiful. You play it with a nice balance between the constant arppegiated accompaniment and the singing melody. Nice!

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 You do sound very relaxed and confident with these pieces. I like the idea of presenting “old friends” in this recital occasionally. Your playing is very polished and expressive with these pieces that you have matured over time. Invention 8 is one of my favorite, and you gave it a bouncy light feeling.

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 This is a side of Brahms that I had not heard before, somewhat strident, and forceful. It does sound quite difficult. You handled the urgency of it well, giving it lots of character. Well played!

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major What a gorgeous nocturne! Your version is quite rich, and the tone of the Bosendorfer is warm and exquisite.

06. George Schiro - Heartache Nice, soul searching improvisation, with a feeling of lost love or disappointment. Nicely done.

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 This sounds like a lovely love song. Your balance between the hands turned out very nice, with the melody singing above the heaving chorded base. You gave the piece drama without becoming overpowering.

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette Your description of the recording process had me curious about how this would sound. It worked well! Your expressive playing comes through beautifully. I don’t know the original piece, but your final result is lovely.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 This such a pretty prelude. You handle the mordents quite well. The slow pace gives it a stateliness and fits the piece well. Well done.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 As my piano teacher says “Keep working, it is getting there.”

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Everyone playing acoustic, as usual please give me a PM if you want my feedback

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by SwissMS

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 This is a side of Brahms that I had not heard before, somewhat strident, and forceful. It does sound quite difficult. You handled the urgency of it well, giving it lots of character. Well played!

Thanks SwissMS! Yes Brahms more common style is a bit less forceful. And yes, in fact a bit too difficult for me at this moment

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Everyone playing acoustic, as usual please give me a PM if you want my feedback

I'll "defend to the death" your right to review only acoustic - but exactly what I would base that defense on I haven't the slightest clue...

You're missing a lot of excellent performances of some really great music, and doing somewhat of a disservice to that group of hard working, dedicated participants who would otherwise like to have your usual experienced, educated and thoughtful analysis of their submissions.

But, as I said, you have my support of your right - although it's a support without foundation...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
John, thanks for your concerns. But relax, I'm not missing anything, I just do not want to attempt commenting on a DP performance.

Also let's keep this thread focused on the recital instead of this old discussion. You can always PM me on this or refer to the earlier thread.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
.... Other than feeling like having been slapped and spat on my face because I use a digital, nothing happens...

Thanks

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
J
J
14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 I really liked your part. The quicker sections sound tricky (from my humble beginner perspective). Although, In the slower sections it felt as though the notes trailed off a little too abruptly from what I heard though. Have you tried using the peddle to sustain those notes? I am a bit of a pedal whore though, so maybe it sounds too abrupt because I am used to hearing long sustains haha.

But all in all I liked it! Going to check that piece out actually.

Also I agree with the others. We shouldn't be differentiating digitals and acoustics. Digitals might be slightly different to acoustics, but no two acoustics are alike either.

Last edited by Jayden; 02/15/14 06:40 AM.

XXXV [Linked Image]
XXXIII [Linked Image]
P
P
Wish I had an acoustic but best option was to get a dp, considering I have only just started playing, less outlay, no space etc. Being a beginners forum I would guess the majority here have a dp though I could be wrong. Looking forward to listening to some of these recitals when I finish work.

Briansaddleback: thanks for the constructive comments, I think the color at the end of entertainer was me panicking when I realised I was close to the end wink

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Jayden
14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 I really liked your part. In the slower sections it felt as though the notes trailed off a little too abruptly from what I heard though. Have you tried using the peddle to sustain those notes? I am a bit of a pedal whore though, so maybe it sounds too abrupt because I am used to hearing long sustains haha.

Thanks for listening to my submission Jayden. I did try the second theme with pedal as written in my book but I didn't like the sound so I omitted it. I guess I like the crispness it gives but the downfall of the digital is it can be a bit too clean cut.

Listening to your piece you are showing remarkable ability for only two months. I am sure you are going to have a very bright piano future ahead of you.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by evamar
.... Other than feeling like having been slapped and spat on my face because I use a digital, nothing happens...

Thanks

I don't think the OP intended to offend those of us who use dp's.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar

Thanks

Sorry, it felt like that. Intended or not. I don't mind technical criticism, I'm not touchy about that as I'm only starting and know that I have to improve a lot. But discarding the efforts that a lot of people have put into learning simply because of the instrument they used (with or without choice in many cases) does seem offensive.

It would have been better to simply do not make any mention of this separation and for him to simply comment on the pieces he want to comment.

Last edited by evamar; 02/15/14 08:32 AM.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jayden
14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 ... I am a bit of a pedal whore though, so maybe it sounds too abrupt because I am used to hearing long sustains haha.

Is this defined in the "Urban Dictionary"?

I'm pretty much of an 8va whore myself, especially on repeats of the bridge...

Edit: all emphases mine after initial..

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 02/15/14 08:17 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Didn't make it to this recital, though I wanted to, hope to put something up in the February (or March) bar instead.

Evamar, since you've been slapped and spat upon, because of using a digital, I'm going to even the odds and start with your performance. I namely am also among the unclean ones, the digital piano owners, and we ought to stick together. cool Besides, my DP is not as good as yours, at mimicking the feel of an acoustic.

Your Kawai CA65 sounds just great and if I hadn't known better, I wouldn't have been able to answer if asked whether you were playing an acoustic or a digital.

Enough of the technical issues, here is the review.

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix Your performance was simply excellent. I don't know this piece, but I enjoyed your interpretation of it. Keep up the good work.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar

Thanks

Young Wouter has got a way with words. Got away with `em for too long! smile grin

Last edited by peterws; 02/15/14 08:27 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's quite exciting to listen to all entries and see how huge a gap we have in styles and techniques.

As a beginner myself, I would like to comment on real beginners' entries, around 6 months. Unfortunately not a lot, but quite a few, which is brilliant. Cannot really comment on technique, but I can see all the effort you guys have put into them, thanks for participate and sharing our first steps!

22.- Newbert. Although you've only been playing for 6 months those 2 years learning as a kid still show! Really nice piece and very well played. I really like some of Brickman's pieces, and I was very happy to hear this one, thanks.

23.- ajames. I tried that same song from the same book. I found that the pedalling and phrasing are quite tricky, as well as managing to make the melody sound clear. Well done!

30. corysold. Less than a month playing and there you are! You can be proud!

32. StevenB. Amazed at what you have achieved in only one month! I know that you have musical background, but still very good! Bach is closer every day.

34. paul1971 . Fantastic, it's a really difficult piece. I have only given it a fast try to realise that I still need to work a lot before having a chance with it. You make it sound very good, I was humming with your playing. Keep them coming!

42. Jayden . Love it! Very airy piece that I'll be very happy to learn myself. Thanks for this discovery, it's absolutely lovely to hear and very well played.

I'll continue listening to all the rest of entries, love the variety in styles!

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission