2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
78 members (c++, almo82, Abdol, clothearednincompo, agent8698, Anglagard44, Alex_Ki, Buzz209, Bourniplus, 13 invisible), 661 guests, and 501 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What you`d like to see on the next upgrades . . .
peterws #2227845 02/08/14 10:04 AM
Doremi, helium? But..but think of the wobble caused by banging the keys :shudders.

Interesting thread thanks, so in essence it is doable (if expensive with current generation of gear) so i will wait a year or two (by then i will be able to lug around the vpc1 far more easily than now smile ).

Digitalguy, yikes to pricey, "Hmm, Its time. I will go to the lottery, this time will be the lucky one i can feel it!" :shakes hand with enthusiasm. laugh

Committing atrocities against music by abusing my Kawai Vpc1 and Pianoteq one day at a time smile

"My drill will pierce through! Spin on!!!"
(Fan of Gurren Lagann laugh )

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Chris D gousios #2227850 02/08/14 10:18 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chris D gousios

Digitalguy, yikes to pricey, "Hmm, Its time. I will go to the lottery, this time will be the lucky one i can feel it!" :shakes hand with enthusiasm. laugh

If you want something cheaper but almost as good, buy an ipad air like I did (around $500), a small usb connection cable, and for $10 or $20 you can get a piano app like igrand which is almost as good as the best windows pianos and with a much better sound than pianoteq in my opinion. When my friends listen to me playing my roland supernatural and then playing igrand they all says it sounds better... (and they often prefer it to vintage D too..)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garrital CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
peterws #2228259 02/09/14 06:11 AM
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
It appears from the responses, if you lot get your way, that "Software" is to be part of the next hardware . . . .reading about the P225 that seems to be the case there what with APPs and all that . .Where Yamaha ventures, the rest will surely follow? Free ipad with the next updates?? Or built in . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2228356 02/09/14 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by peterws
It appears from the responses, if you lot get your way, that "Software" is to be part of the next hardware . . . .reading about the P225 that seems to be the case there what with APPs and all that . .Where Yamaha ventures, the rest will surely follow? Free ipad with the next updates?? Or built in . . .

Or simply the ability to control (otherwise annoying to control) parameters more easily from an outside device, be it Android or iOS. In the USA two-thirds of smartphones are Android or iOS, and for the last two years around 16% of all personal computing devices sold were iPads, so we're beyond the point where an instrument manufacturer would have to bundle a device with a digital piano for additional control. If you can afford a new DP, odds are you've got a smartphone or iPad, and if you don't you'll probably get one soon (and if not you cans still push-button your controls on the instrument itself).

WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity would be the next obvious step in DPs, and wireless MIDI & OSC between an iOS device and a Mac (don't know about PCs) has been around for a while now, as well as wireless controllers for iOS devices.

But given the slow speed of DP innovation we may not see something like this for years in new pianos.

peterws #2228410 02/09/14 12:33 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As with all things, product evolution follows patterns of demand.
How much demand is there for a phone- or tablet-controlled piano?

peterws #2228429 02/09/14 12:53 PM
About as much demand as there is for easily setting controls on digital pianos, which people report works extremely well on the P255.

And using Roland's generic MIDI driver you can connect an iPad right now and use it with Garageband quite easily. [Youtube link] Or use it for feedback in musical instruction.

peterws #2228440 02/09/14 01:11 PM
Numbers?

I'm guessing that many thousands of people touch just 88 of the controls (plus the pedals and the power button) ... and seldom touch anything else. And those other things (principally voice selection) are easy enough as-is. So many people don't need extras.

For those who do ... all they need is some software. Most everything in the piano can be controlled by sending MIDI commands (over the MIDI in cable or over the USB cable). So there's no need for a new piano feature. You just need someone to create software that will run on your platform of choice. (Some simple stuff already exists. I presume that the complex stuff (DAW software) does this stuff, too?)

As for VST instruments ... the piano makers don't offer them, but there are plenty of instruments for the PC and Mac available elsewhere. I wonder whether they might soon be offered on tablets? The better ones are too big to fit into most of today's tablets and phones. But perhaps some of the smaller ones could. Are such yet available?

MacMacMac #2228461 02/09/14 02:01 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

As for VST instruments ... the piano makers don't offer them, but there are plenty of instruments for the PC and Mac available elsewhere. I wonder whether they might soon be offered on tablets? The better ones are too big to fit into most of today's tablets and phones. But perhaps some of the smaller ones could. Are such yet available?

You already have some very good piano software on IOS devices (in Android you also have some good apps but there are problems with midi control and especially with latency, while Apple devices have zero problems). And I doubt size will be a big issue, some of the best software for IOS manage to stick more than 1 GB of samples in less than 350 MB compressed lossless quality piano apps, via a sort of streaming mechanism. So 40 GB of samples could fit in less than 10 GB for instance. I do hope that software piano companies will start to develop also for IOS and not just for PC and MAC, although as I mentioned earlier you can already buy (more expensive) Windows tablets that can perfectly handle any software piano and could therefore simply reside on your piano...

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garrital CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
MacMacMac #2228508 02/09/14 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Numbers? I'm guessing that many thousands of people touch just 88 of the controls (plus the pedals and the power button) ... and seldom touch anything else.

I think many, many people seldom touch anything else because the manuals are bad and the controls are often push-button-x-times-plus-key cryptic.

And those other things (principally voice selection) are easy enough as-is. So many people don't need extras.

Which is what people said about phones just a few years ago. Who needs cordless? Who needs cellphones? Who needs them to do anything but make calls? smile

You just need someone to create software that will run on your platform of choice.

Like iOS. wink

Turnabout #2228587 02/09/14 05:27 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
For slabs, put it decent amplification like the SP280. Come on. Don't make people hook them up to monitors if they don't want to.
Also, use SSD drives and put in multi gigabate samples. Enough with the MB sized samples this isn't the 90's.

Maybe add a detachable key cover to slabs like some of the consoles have. keep the things clean

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125
PossumES8Krome61 #2229387 02/11/14 04:03 AM
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
How can you put decent amplification in a slab? You might generate the power output. But is the SP280 THAT better sounding than a 6W per channel job? I`ve tried one; not the best sound is it?
Maybe Bose type speakers would do the job in the small space available. . That might be a good idea. Bose speakers for all DPs. . . by Act of Parliament.

Last edited by peterws; 02/11/14 04:14 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2229451 02/11/14 08:59 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
How can you put decent amplification in a slab? You might generate the power output. But is the SP280 THAT better sounding than a 6W per channel job? I`ve tried one; not the best sound is it?
Maybe Bose type speakers would do the job in the small space available. . That might be a good idea. Bose speakers for all DPs. . . by Act of Parliament.

Bose speakers? I thought we were discussing improving the sound!

spanishbuddha #2229454 02/11/14 09:06 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

Ha ha! Yes, DPs are bad enough, please let's not get Bose involved.

spanishbuddha #2229457 02/11/14 09:15 AM
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

Hang on; Ya tryin` to tell me things have improved since Bose speakers danced into our lives all those years ago? Doing away with back breaking speaker stacks in the process? When they came out, it was WOW!! They were real good. And so tiny . . and if they were good then, they`ll be pretty good now.

Won`t they?? confused

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2229931 02/11/14 08:13 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When they came out, it was WOW!! They were real good. And so tiny . . and if they were good then, they`ll be pretty good now.

Won`t they?? confused

Bose is crap.

And while I'm here: there is no Easter Bunny.

[EDIT] Though I have to give Bose a bit of credit for putting cheesy drivers in some of the most unconventional enclosures imaginable and marginally pulling it off as it were.

peterws #2231491 02/14/14 12:27 PM
I'd like a slab digital piano with the newest all wood grand piano action,
Large display, and many, many gig.s memory to operate high quality piano sounds.
No limitations on price, weight , etc. let's see it all (no workstation talk.)
(Like a built in muse receptor) I'd also like the grass seed companies to
offer a liquid spray solution to stunt the growth of grass (they can display this
product next to their fertilizer),so I can only cut the lawn twice a season. Seems like
a similar comparison of conflicts in business interests.

Gumbysgroove #2231535 02/14/14 01:37 PM
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gumbysgroove
I'd like a slab digital piano with the newest all wood grand piano action,
Large display, and many, many gig.s memory to operate high quality piano sounds.
No limitations on price, weight , etc. let's see it all (no workstation talk.)
(Like a built in muse receptor) I'd also like the grass seed companies to
offer a liquid spray solution to stunt the growth of grass (they can display this
product next to their fertilizer),so I can only cut the lawn twice a season. Seems like
a similar comparison of conflicts in business interests.

Well, the piano will take up to 2 minutes to boot up! Try a Roland HP507. that takes ages. My own piano doesn`t have an on/off switch, only one that puts it on standby. So it doesn`t take too long to come on . . .

They tell me artificial grass has less maintenance considerations than the real thing; AND without looping . .

"[Linked Image]"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A hauntingly beutiful piece you probably never heard
by pianoloverus - 12/04/20 02:29 PM
Them Donners and Lagrimas
by jeffcat - 12/04/20 02:21 PM
Ave Maria by Schubert
by ContentPiano - 12/04/20 02:17 PM
Roland LX706 Review
by Colin Miles - 12/04/20 06:41 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,258
Posts3,030,481
Members99,480
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission