2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
81 members (bobrunyan, almo82, astrotoy, Amusingprofessor, anotherscott, 8ude, Abdol, AWilley, 21 invisible), 642 guests, and 520 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Headphones / cans people are using with their digital piano?
#2231330 02/14/14 06:08 AM
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Just thought I'd ask the question - what sort of headphones people are using?

I know some bundles include them, and I've read comments about them being of a certain value. Over the years, I've not had much in the way of over-ear headphones, it's nearly always been ear-bud or ear-canal style ones I've used in portable mp3 players (or before that, minidisc players).

I'm currently using some Sony ZX300s which I've been very pleased with, and were very reasonable in price.

I also bought some Philips SHL5205WT/10 Cityscape things, that didn't work well / sound OK - not sure whether that's because of the 3.5 to full size jack adapter I'm using, or whether it's because they have the 3 section jack and are more suited to mobile tech, on account of also having a microphone. They sound quite nice when I use them for watching things on one of my tablets, but plugged into my digital piano there was something off with the sound.

Interested in what others are using, headphone wise?

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Headphones / cans people are using with their digital piano?
Lester Burnham #2231331 02/14/14 06:13 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sennheiser HD380 Pro.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Lester Burnham #2231335 02/14/14 06:30 AM
C
C
I have the Sennheiser HD 600 and AKG Q701. If you're looking for an upgrade, maybe take a look at the Head-fi headphone buying guide, and find one in your budget: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

You can't go too wrong with any of these choices (pick one described as neutral), and they are headphones liked by the so-called audiophile community rather than the average consumer.

Lester Burnham #2231338 02/14/14 06:52 AM
J
J
Senns HD600 here too, couldn't be happier. Head-fi is indeed a great source for this, just make sure you don't buy everything everybody says over there.

TheodorN #2231356 02/14/14 08:03 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Sennheiser HD380 Pro.

Same here. Love'em with ES7 via mixer.

Also, like Yamaha HPH-MT220 very much. I do not own or tried with my dp, but used several times at friends home studio. He's a sound engineer and praises them for their price range. The do sound fannatic and very comfortable.

jcdamascenojr #2231360 02/14/14 08:13 AM
C
C
Yeah people over at Head fi are pretty crazy. Personally I think it's definitely worth it to try to budget for around $100 for a good set of headphones, but after that the differences are pretty small.

chadol #2231362 02/14/14 08:19 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by chadol
Yeah people over at Head fi are pretty crazy. Personally I think it's definitely worth it to try to budget for around $100 for a good set of headphones, but after that the differences are pretty small.

Agree, I have a pair of Shure 240A and was surprised to see how other higher end models are just a little bit better while costing much more. I like a lot Shure 1540, very confortable, very well built (contrary say to shure 940) and excellent sound. But a crazy price tag. For a sound that is definitely not several times better than my shure 240A (under 100$)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garrital CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
Lester Burnham #2231373 02/14/14 08:34 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I use Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone and they are great. In general I seldom use headphones. But when I do I enjoy how these sound; best part, is that they are not too expensive.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Lester Burnham #2231376 02/14/14 08:40 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham

I also bought some Philips SHL5205WT/10 Cityscape things, that didn't work well / sound OK - not sure whether that's because of the 3.5 to full size jack adapter I'm using, or whether it's because they have the 3 section jack and are more suited to mobile tech, on account of also having a microphone. They sound quite nice when I use them for watching things on one of my tablets, but plugged into my digital piano there was something off with the sound.

I think the adapter you're using might be at fault - I had the same problem with an adapter I bought online. When I bought another (rather more expensive) one from a reputable electronics store, the sound from the same headphones was transformed.

Good headphones will work equally well with MP3 players, DPs or hi-fi. With the right adapters........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #2231382 02/14/14 08:50 AM
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham

I think the adapter you're using might be at fault - I had the same problem with an adapter I bought online. When I bought another (rather more expensive) one from a reputable electronics store, the sound from the same headphones was transformed.

Good headphones will work equally well with MP3 players, DPs or hi-fi. With the right adapters........

I think it's something specific to that pair of Philips headphones.

But funny you should mention it - the first adapter I had (3.5mm->6.3mm) I think was a bit iffy. I'd started using it with the Sony headphones I'd bought, and the sound wasn't very good - sounded similar to when the plug / cable connection has started to deteriorate, and you can sometimes only hear sound out of one side.

Thinking the headphones I'd bought weren't very good, was why I bought the Philips headphones (they got some decent reviews) but I also bought a couple of new adapters at the same time.

When I plugged my Sony headphones into one of my new adapters, no more problematic sound. But from what I understand of these Philips ones, they need some additional adapter when you're using a 3.5->6.3mm adapter (I've read comments elsewhere about the same issue).

Lester Burnham #2231387 02/14/14 09:02 AM
I
I
Headphones don't really do it for me, the sound is always not so good, the comfort is less than optimal, but I guess if you enjoy loosing your hair it's fine to wear them..

So I use in-ear cans, they isolate much better and you can hence work longer at lower volumes, in a continuous concentration. I found a cheap model that sound far better than any of the headphones I had before : the Philips SHE3590 series. They have rich low ends, much more definite and precise high ends than headphones, and are pretty flat in the middle, so it's very possible to play, work, edit, and even start the mixing with these, without doing it wrong compared to studio monitors.

I have several pairs, they are all very sturdy, the audio drivers don't sound distorted over time, if you walk on the buds they don't break, the cable is long and strong enough, they weight nothing and are simply not a comfort issue at all, but Philips will soon end its consumer electronics activity so they will disappear. Below 15$ a pair, after reading the good press and the the infinite comments trail about their quality on the nerd-fi forums, you could even try them and find you previously had erroneous ideas about what a good headset is...

Lester Burnham #2231393 02/14/14 09:12 AM
Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs, which you can get for $49 most places. I'm very happy with them. The M50s are supposed to be better, but they're also more than twice as expensive, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade.

I would avoid headphones that are "branded" with the names of music stars, because while they might be (and often are) very high quality cans, according to sites such as Consumer Reports you're not getting full value for the price, paying a premium for the branding. Good luck.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
In A Silent Way #2231399 02/14/14 09:23 AM
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by In A Silent Way
Headphones don't really do it for me, the sound is always not so good, the comfort is less than optimal, but I guess if you enjoy loosing your hair it's fine to wear them..

So I use in-ear cans, they isolate much better and you can hence work longer at lower volumes, in a continuous concentration. I found a cheap model that sound far better than any of the headphones I had before : the Philips SHE3590 series. They have rich low ends, much more definite and precise high ends than headphones, and are pretty flat in the middle, so it's very possible to play, work, edit, and even start the mixing with these, without doing it wrong compared to studio monitors.

I have several pairs, they are all very sturdy, the audio drivers don't sound distorted over time, if you walk on the buds they don't break, the cable is long and strong enough, they weight nothing and are simply not a comfort issue at all, but Philips will soon end its consumer electronics activity so they will disappear. Below 15$ a pair, after reading the good press and the the infinite comments trail about their quality on the nerd-fi forums, you could even try them and find you previously had erroneous ideas about what a good headset is...

Funny you should mention them, I have other similar ear bud or ear canal type headphones, I have some Philips SHS3200 which were pretty cheap, and a few pairs of SHQ1000 which I've found great in the gym or out walking. I've also found JVC flats very decent, budget on-ear headphones.

Truth be told, I haven't found comfort an issue with on-ear headphones (I've only really started using them with my digital piano) - different if I'm lying in bed watching something on my tablet - but whilst playing / practising on my digital piano I've been fine with them. They seem a nice balance of blocking out most of the sound from my kids if they're watching TV, whilst not being totally oblivious if they wanted to get my attention.

As to my hair - well it's only ever at a small number of millimetres in length, so not really a problem with wearing headphones.

Lester Burnham #2231401 02/14/14 09:28 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sennheiser HD 598

[Linked Image]

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Lester Burnham #2231416 02/14/14 10:02 AM
Sony MDR-XD300, have had them for a couple of years now, not sure but i think from before 2009? In any case they have been excellent for anything i threw at them and they were cheap when i bought them, something like 50 euros i think?

I keep hearing about the Senheiser's and all i can say is that if the sound is even better... i shouldn't buy them because then i would wear them forever [Linked Image]

Committing atrocities against music by abusing my Kawai Vpc1 and Pianoteq one day at a time smile

"My drill will pierce through! Spin on!!!"
(Fan of Gurren Lagann laugh )

Lester Burnham #2231421 02/14/14 10:16 AM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Sennheiser HD595s are lovely - now superseded by a similar model# - you lose track with headphone manufacturers.

A lot of the time when I'm practising I use an old pair of Sennheiser PX100. Featherweight and very comfortable but maybe not durable enough. Remarkably, in as good an A/B test as is possible to conduct they sound almost indistinguishable from the 595s! Good firm bass end.

Lester Burnham #2231423 02/14/14 10:24 AM
I'm using the HiFiMan HE-400 headphones. Not being an authority on headphones,
these were purchased on friends advice. They are more then satisfactory and I really
think (to my ears), very good depth and separation of sound.

Lester Burnham #2231441 02/14/14 11:13 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I learned my lesson in the recent past regarding headphones and their connecting cables.

All the headphones I presently own can have all their cables easily replaced if they are ever damaged ... and they will easily pop out if over extended.

I use Bose noise reduction headphones at the gym. Just yesterday I hopped off a machine to help the manager reposition a machine and the cable popped out of the Bose headset because I had over extended the distance allowed. Had it been a set of headphones where the cable was permanently mounted I would have destroyed yet another set of headphones.

Consider buying headphones where the cables can be easily replaced when damaged. wink

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Lester Burnham #2231461 02/14/14 11:52 AM
C
C
Sennheiser HD650s. Very nice!

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
Lester Burnham #2231471 02/14/14 12:01 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
+1 for the PX-100 - I use them when mobile a lot - they are surprisingly good. (I have the -II variant though, which some reviewers say are not as good as the originals)

I wouldn't recommend either of my full sized headphones that I use at home, so I won't - one is just too hard to drive, and the other is way outdated.

Greg.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schimmel K 132
by Lady Bird - 12/04/20 04:16 PM
Pianoteq presets
by Eli26 - 12/04/20 03:47 PM
A hauntingly beutiful piece you probably never heard
by pianoloverus - 12/04/20 02:29 PM
Them Donners and Lagrimas
by jeffcat - 12/04/20 02:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,259
Posts3,030,504
Members99,480
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission