Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
128 registered members (Albunea, 17curleyj, agraffe, Alexank, BachToTheFuture, 31 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2231291 - 02/14/14 03:52 AM going to concert with teacher  
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
adultpianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

My favourite pianist is coming back to London next year to do a concert and I want to ask my piano teacher to accompany me. I have told my teacher I like this pianist and wondered if it is the done thing to do? Obviously the tickets are not cheap but they are not that expsnsive but someone would have to really like the pianist to pay what they are asking for front row.

Should I just keep my relationship professional with my teacher to class only. I am not looking to make friends with my teacher but its just that she knows I like this pianist and so I simply wondered if she would come to share my enthusiasm and as a teacher she could give her view on the performance from her viewpoint.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2231321 - 02/14/14 06:09 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member
evamar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Spanish living in UK
Originally Posted by adultpianist
My favourite pianist is coming back to London next year to do a concert and I want to ask my piano teacher to accompany me. I have told my teacher I like this pianist and wondered if it is the done thing to do? Obviously the tickets are not cheap but they are not that expsnsive but someone would have to really like the pianist to pay what they are asking for front row.

Should I just keep my relationship professional with my teacher to class only. I am not looking to make friends with my teacher but its just that she knows I like this pianist and so I simply wondered if she would come to share my enthusiasm and as a teacher she could give her view on the performance from her viewpoint.

No, I wouldn't ask her. But you can simply mention that your favourite pianist is giving a concert and that you are really looking forward to going. Up to her is she says anything, for all you know she might well hate the pianist or need the money for other things.

If you only want her opinion about the technic, you can simply show her a video from youtube... and THEN mentioning the upcoming concert and that you are going... if her answer is positive.

But don't ask her directly if she would like to go with you. Let her approach you.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
#2231354 - 02/14/14 08:54 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
Polyphonist Online content
9000 Post Club Member
Polyphonist  Online Content
9000 Post Club Member

New York City
If you're going to ask her to come to an expensive concert then you really have to offer to pay for both seats.

Regards,

Polyphonist
#2231392 - 02/14/14 10:10 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Toronto, Ontario
Polyphonist is right in stating something obvious that I still missed in your post. You can't expect your piano teacher to "go Dutch" with you to something she may have little or no interest in.

And I must say that even if you do buy her a seat and she comes, you might be disappointed to learn that she is at best neutral about your favorite pianist.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 02/14/14 05:06 PM.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2231476 - 02/14/14 01:07 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
Polyphonist Online content
9000 Post Club Member
Polyphonist  Online Content
9000 Post Club Member

New York City
Might I ask who the pianist is?

Regards,

Polyphonist
#2231493 - 02/14/14 01:32 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
briansaddleback Offline
briansaddleback  Offline

Irvine CA
Yes you have to pay for her ticket if you ask her to go.

[Linked Image]
Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels
#2231506 - 02/14/14 01:52 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Polyphonist]  
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Might I ask who the pianist is?

Unless she has more than one favorite, she is speaking of Helene Grimaud.

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

#2231510 - 02/14/14 01:56 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: malkin]  
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
adultpianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

yes it is Helene Grimaud. How ever did you guess? My piano teacher does actually like Helene as a pianist so I have no reason to doubt she will like her if she went to hear her play at a concert hall. I personally think Helene is a God.

I actually have a blog. I started it when I met someone at the most recent Helene Grimaud concert a few weeks ago and he said he kept a concert diary. I started one, beginning with the Brahms concert I went to recently. I will update it and show it here as and when I have a few more things on it. It will not only include write ups about concerts but anything else do to with piano and music.

I did ask a friend to go with me but she said as the concert is a year from now, she could not guaranted that she would be able to go. Why do people book a year ahead for concerts. How do the audience know that they are going to be free a year from now. The pianist could not guarantee that, let alone the audience.

Last edited by adultpianist; 02/14/14 02:11 PM.
#2231605 - 02/14/14 05:13 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Toronto, Ontario
Here in Canada we don't ask anyone to join us at a piano recital a year in advance. Maybe 3 weeks at most. Even if Mme Grimaud is a deity.

#2231635 - 02/14/14 06:28 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Peter K. Mose]  
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
adultpianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Here in Canada we don't ask anyone to join us at a piano recital a year in advance. Maybe 3 weeks at most. Even if Mme Grimaud is a deity.

The fact of the matter is, the concert hall have booked Helene a year ahead and are already selling the tickets and at least half of the tickets have been sold. I do not understand why they think that people can presume so far in advance that they will be able to attend a year from now.

#2231648 - 02/14/14 06:56 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
TimV Offline
TimV  Offline

New York, NY

Originally Posted by adultpianist
I do not understand why they think that people can presume so far in advance that they will be able to attend a year from now.

Well, that's just the way it is, I guess. If there's someone who I really want to see, I buy tickets as early as I can. Then I put it on my calendar and try to plan around it. Worst case scenario I'll give the tickets away, or sell them, or some venues have a ticket exchange facility.

I may have given away one or two sets of tickets in the last 10 years. But it engenders goodwill in the recipients, and I find they repay in kind, since I don't accept cash from friends for that kind of thing.

--------------------------
Bach WTC 1 #7
Brahms Op 76 #1, Op 118 #5
Debussy Suite Bergamasque
#2231741 - 02/14/14 11:38 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
I have been wanting to invite my ex-violin teacher to violin concert but I felt the same. Of course I was prepared to pay for both seats. I never did...

I don't have the same problem with my current piano teacher because he absolutely cannot stand Valentina Lisitsa! Plus, he's so busy I wouldn't need to ask. Though, I went to his piano recitals several times, heard him on radio, on TV etc. In a way, I've been to concerts with him. It's just that he didn't need to pay for a seat :-)

Be your ♮ self.

YouTube channel
#2231838 - 02/15/14 02:48 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Polyphonist]  
HalfStep Offline
HalfStep  Offline

Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
If you're going to ask her to come to an expensive concert then you really have to offer to pay for both seats.

That's what I was thinking too. Also, I don't find any harm in being friendly with your teacher. I consider my teacher a great friend.

#2231975 - 02/15/14 11:44 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: HalfStep]  
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
adultpianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had my lesson today and menioned that I had heard about this concert next year. I said I asked someone to go with me but they were not going to book for something a year from now. I then said to my teacher, I do not want to go on my own this time. Without any prompting from me, she said what day is it and I said Saturday and then she said "Well it is a long time since I went to a concert so I will go with you". So she took my phone number and the details of the concert and said she will look at the concert hall to think of the best seats to book. She said front row is not good because you are too near the stage and would have to look up and get a pain in your neck. This is true because some concert halls have the front row seats very close to the stage. The particular hall that this concert is at is very near and the last time I went to hear an opera singer I had front row and had to put my head up and back to look and it was uncomfortable. However, I said to my teacher, I like front row to be near the pianist because I can clearly see how they use the pedal, how they put their fingers etc and if you are too far away you cannot see these things and it is important for me and my development to see how professional pianists perform. My teacher also said that sound carries in a hall and its better for sound to sit further back. Anyway she has agreed to come which is cool. We will both be paying for our tickets seperately so no offering to pay for her as a bribe lol

#2232060 - 02/15/14 02:19 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Good for you :-)

For concertos, I generally like to sit around 1/3 from the stage and 1/3 from the left, depending on the concert hall. That way, I get to see and hear the soloist clearly but also get to hear the entire orchestra a bit more evenly.

Be your ♮ self.

YouTube channel
#2232078 - 02/15/14 02:54 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Tubbie0075]  
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
adultpianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

This is solo piano. No orchestra

#2232170 - 02/15/14 06:12 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]  
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
They call these piano recitals. Concert usually means music played with/by an orchestra.

Be your ♮ self.

YouTube channel
#2232196 - 02/15/14 07:02 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Tubbie0075]  
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
adultpianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes I do know lol

Not sure why I put concert. It has been a long busy week and my brain had turned to mush lol

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq 5 Standard: How to Transpose?
by newbert. 05/29/17 01:13 PM
Afton Water - a piece for duet
by Celdor. 05/29/17 01:06 PM
Decent digital piano for silent practice and MIDI?
by Marcos Scriven. 05/29/17 01:03 PM
OT - whistled languages
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 05/29/17 12:52 PM
Sheet Music for Elliott Smith's "Bye"
by johnbarnesiii. 05/29/17 12:46 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Report Problems With New Forums
Report Problems with New Forums Here!
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics179,956
Posts2,630,920
Members87,920
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission